ImageImage

[NJ.com] Roy is a Phenom

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Dakotah612
Head Coach
And1: 0

[NJ.com] Roy is a Phenom 

Post#1 » by Dakotah612 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:09 am

We're still trying to figure out why we keep hearing the names of Deron and Chris Paul when they raise the subject of great young point guards, and Brandon Roy is almost an afterthought.

Odd thing, that. Sure, the other two are brilliant: They have a pile of All-NBA teams in their futures. But put these three in a lineup? We pick Roy and we don't look back.

"I am not overstating this: This guy is as impressive a young player as we've seen all year," L-Frank said of the 23-year-old Portland prodigy. "The thing that's amazing about him -- he has such a great pace to his game. He's never out of control. He makes great decisiosn. He's never rushed. I tell you what, he is one impressive player. Plus, he's the leader of that team in his second year. And his emotions on the court are great: You never see him show unnecessary emotion. He's very, very impressive."

And, Frank noted, the kid has every shot in the arsenal. He's as smooth as they come, but the spectacular is routine for him: That 3-pointer he hit to force the second OT was like Gilbert - off-the-dribble, effortless, pure.

"He can hurt you in pick and rolls, he can hurt you in the post, he can hurt you in spot-ups, he can hurt you in wing and logo isos, and he's a very good passer," L-Frank said. "That ball's in his hands. Even though (Steve) Blake and (Jarrett) Jack are the point guards, he's really the point guard.

Link
"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,682

Post#2 » by PDXKnight » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:34 am

Nice read. Roy is definitely the point guard on this team though not necessarily by name. He is great at helping out his team in any way needed whether it's scoring, passing, stealing, ect., he'll come through when you need him the most. While he may not be the best player in the NBA statistically, his ability to run a team as a second year player is astounding and it's these abilities not to mention his leadership skills that set him apart from a Rudy Gay, carmello anthony, Andre Iguadala, and other young players in the NBA.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#3 » by Mr Odd » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:56 am

Hats off to Frank!! I wish him and NJ all the luck.

Its great to have eastern media, coaches & players
say good thing about the Blazers, espcially Roy.. .
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
superBlazerFan
Junior
And1: 32

Post#4 » by superBlazerFan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:34 am

nice find
UGotThrilled
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#5 » by UGotThrilled » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:05 am

That was refreshing article. I just read a John Hollinger quote on ESPN Insider that said:

Sorry, but Manu's per-minute numbers destroy Roy's. In fact, Manu's scoring average is better even though he plays seven minutes a game less. As good as Roy has been, there's no comparison between these two at all.

I really dont think that statistics can begin to tell the story about Roy. He is such a team player and a leader, and I would take him over Manu. Manu is a GREAT player, but I like what Roy brings to a team more, which is incredible leadership and an amazing attitude.
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#6 » by Yadadimean » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:09 am

This is one of the few times I enjoy having someone tell me what I already know!
Signature
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#7 » by DeezXXnutZ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:05 pm

It's about time the Blazers get some love out East..Doesn't hurt destroying Jersey at their own house by 30...Beantown is on watch and crossing their fingers now...Gotta love it.....
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#8 » by TBpup » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:11 pm

That was refreshing article. I just read a John Hollinger quote on ESPN Insider that said:

Quote:
Sorry, but Manu's per-minute numbers destroy Roy's. In fact, Manu's scoring average is better even though he plays seven minutes a game less. As good as Roy has been, there's no comparison between these two at all.

The more Hollinger types, the more I think he really may not have a clue. Ginobilli is SA's third option after Duncan and Parker. No one is double-teaming Manu.

Roy is the leader....sees double teams, does what is necessary. He's never going to be a volume minutes per game scorer because he does so many other things. Dominique Wilkins had much higher per minute numbers also...but no one would put him in a 'leader' class.

Taking nothing from Ginobilli but he and Roy have totally different roles and are different types of players. Hollinger seems to be missing the boat...again.

:starwars
@TBpup22

Return to Portland Trail Blazers