ImageImage

Potentially big Blazer news coming soon?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#21 » by Spykes » Wed Mar 5, 2008 7:33 am

Butter wrote:So where does that put the Blazers cap situation? About $10 mil plus draft picks in 09?

I can't crunch exact numbers right now, but if Miles retire and his contract comes off the books, it gives KP's 09 cap space plan some serious validity.

OK, I'm looking over the salary page for Portland right now. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what the Blazers salary situation will look like for this summer and next because we don't know what moves will be made. There's just too many variables. Do they resign James Jones, do they use the Team Option on Blake, do renounce guys like Jack and Frye (if they're still with the team by that summer), do they negotiate a new deal with Webster, what about the picks, does Rudy come over, etc?

Anyway though, looking at it and considering all the variables, it does support my initial thought that if Miles retires and his contract goes away, Portland will have some serious spending money in 09. Likely enough to offer a FA a max contract if they play their cards right.

Also, a smaller benefit to Miles retiring is that it takes some pressure off of KP to have to make a deal this summer. With the roster as it stands, Portland has to make some kinda of a 2 for 1 or 1 for none deal during the summer to accommodate another lottery pick and Rudy Fernandez. If Miles is gone, then Portland can just let Wafer walk (as expected anyway) and the roster size problem is solved.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 124

Post#22 » by Butter » Wed Mar 5, 2008 7:49 am

Spykes wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I can't crunch exact numbers right now, but if Miles retire and his contract comes off the books, it gives KP's 09 cap space plan some serious validity.

It will certainly give them more options.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
SoHo
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#23 » by SoHo » Wed Mar 5, 2008 7:54 am

Darius retiring seems like by far the most viable option right now. If it is true and he does retire that would be absolutely amazing for this team. It would certainly give our cap plan viability, and make the roster much more manageable this coming season.

I don't see why we would hear about Rudy right now with his season still underway, and no other news seems "big" as far as our roster goes. We can't make any trades right now, and cutting say Von Wafer would just be dumb.

The only thing that really helps our roster situation in a big way is Miles retiring... Please just do it Darius, help this franchise the only way you still can!
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#24 » by NBAMAN2006 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 8:01 am

I can only think of it being 5 things....

1) Miles is retiring
2) Miles is being bought out
3) Oden is running ahead of schedule
4) Rudy has announced his intent to come over next season
5) Rudy has announced his intent not to come over next season

Options 4 & 5 seem unlikley because it would be such a big deal overseas it would have likely leaked. Number 3 seems moderatley likely, but I dont think it could be legitimatley labeled big news becasue this entire time Oden has been declared ahead of schedule.

So that leaves 1 & 2. I honestly see a buyout more likey(One that is moderatley benifitial to Portland) than a retiring, but I cant stop hoping it is his retirement.

Also, what is the NBA policy for coming back from a retirement?
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#25 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Wed Mar 5, 2008 8:40 am

Those answers, despite lacking much substance, scream deflation. Miles is done, and I think he now knows it.

My guess is that he does finally, formally, retire. He'll still collect his $18 million that he's owed and live the lifestyle of his dreams.

:violin:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#26 » by Charcoal Filtered » Wed Mar 5, 2008 8:45 am

For the Blazers to get relief from Miles contract, Miles would have to sign a contract that would prohibit him from playing for any other team for the remainder of his contract. It would be between him and the Blazers as to how they pay the remaining amount of his deal.

If Miles is not coming back and wanted to benefit financially, he could agree to the Blazers paying the remainder of this deal in full the day he signs the papers. The Blazers would then get luxury tax relief this year and next in addition to the 9M in cap space next offseason. Insurance would pay too. Definitely a win-win for both parties.
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#27 » by d-train » Wed Mar 5, 2008 10:32 am

I keep remembering Miles's recent statement that he is ready to play and wants to play. I suppose it
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#28 » by Charcoal Filtered » Wed Mar 5, 2008 10:39 am

D-train, should all of your post be in green?
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
d-train
RealGM

Post#29 » by d-train » Wed Mar 5, 2008 10:45 am

Charcoal Filtered wrote:D-train, should all of your post be in green?

No just the last sentence, I believe Miles is attempting to rehab and wants to play.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#30 » by BlackMamba » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:17 pm

well i don't think it had nothing to do with oden.

i agree with the part of miles and rudy.

maybe they will announce miles will either be retireing or coming back.

and that rudy is coming next season or in a couple of years.

maybe they are cutting someone? waffles or mcbob? signing someone else?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#31 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:24 pm

Charcoal Filtered wrote:For the Blazers to get relief from Miles contract, Miles would have to sign a contract that would prohibit him from playing for any other team for the remainder of his contract. It would be between him and the Blazers as to how they pay the remaining amount of his deal.

If Miles is not coming back and wanted to benefit financially, he could agree to the Blazers paying the remainder of this deal in full the day he signs the papers. The Blazers would then get luxury tax relief this year and next in addition to the 9M in cap space next offseason. Insurance would pay too. Definitely a win-win for both parties.

are you sure about that?...seems like in the discussion about the Francis buyout, it was determined that the only way a team can get cap-relief as far as the number of years left on a contract was if the contract had a player option for he last season.

from Larry Coon's FAQ:

53. How do retired players count against the cap?

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player has retired. For example, James Worthy retired in 1994, two years before his contract ended. He continued to receive his salary for the 1994-95 and 1995-96 seasons, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary in those seasons. It is at the team's discretion (or as the result of an agreement between the team and player) whether to continue to pay the player after he has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.

Teams are not allowed to trade for disabled players and then apply for this salary cap relief. Only the team for which the player was playing when he was disabled may request this relief.

If a player retires, even for medical reasons, his team does not receive a salary cap exception to acquire a replacement player.

It appears that if Miles simply retires, portland would get luxury tax relief, but the terms of his signed contract will still apply to Portland's salary cap.

As far as 'renegotiating' he contract, which is what you imply could be the case, there is some language in the FAQ on that:

52. Can existing contracts be renegotiated?

A contract for four or more seasons can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, extension, or renegotiation that increased any season's salary by more than 8%. Contracts for fewer than four seasons cannot be renegotiated. A contract cannot be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30 of any year. Only teams under the cap can renegotiate a contract, and the salary in the then-current season can be increased only to the extent that the team has room under the cap. Raises in subsequent years are limited to 10.5% of the salary in the first renegotiated season. The renegotiation may not contain a signing bonus. Contracts cannot be renegotiated downward (players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create salary cap room for the team) or to contain fewer seasons.

Again, a team over the salary cap cannot renegotiate a contract.

So it would seem that Portland couldn't renegotiate the Miles contract because they are over the cap.

It's hard for me to believe that any buyout would involve Miles taking less money, so a buyout wouldn't have an impact on 2009 cap-space.

The only thing that would accomplish that would be a medical retirement, and Miles certainly hasn't talked like that is an option.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#32 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:50 pm

I know it's a long shot...

but isn't Rudy's playing season finished over there?

Wafer cut and Rudy signs his rookie scale contract pro-rated for this season? An advantage for Rudy is that he'd be one year closer to escaping the financial confines of his rookie contract.

How about this dream scenario: David Stern was here in part to sign off on the League-approved physician's OK for a Miles medical retirement, and then Rudy is signed and takes Miles's place on the roster!!

I'd kinda like that one... :D
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#33 » by TBpup » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:51 pm

1) Miles is retiring
2) Miles is being bought out
3) Oden is running ahead of schedule
4) Rudy has announced his intent to come over next season
5) Rudy has announced his intent not to come over next season

My obvious hope is for #1 as is the Blazers'. #3 is completely true but it won't make any difference for this year and I think #4 will happen this summer.

:starwars
@TBpup22
waverider
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#34 » by waverider » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:57 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:I know it's a long shot...

but isn't Rudy's playing season finished over there?

Wafer cut and Rudy signs his rookie scale contract pro-rated for this season? An advantage for Rudy is that he'd be one year closer to escaping the financial confines of his rookie contract.

How about this dream scenario: David Stern was here in part to sign off on the League-approved physician's OK for a Miles medical retirement, and then Rudy is signed and takes Miles's place on the roster!!

I'd kinda like that one... :D

LOL Man, talk anout fantasies coming true! We can only hope for the best!
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#35 » by Telfaire » Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:47 pm

Well, I remember that Minnesota brought Rasho over around this time preiod, back in 1997 IIRC.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#36 » by mojomarc » Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:59 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:It appears that if Miles simply retires, portland would get luxury tax relief, but the terms of his signed contract will still apply to Portland's salary cap.

I don't believe this is the case. You don't carry salary under the cap and just have the luxury tax written off by Coon's explanation. Rather, if Miles were to simply retire but Portland was unable to get the medical exception (hard to believe they wouldn't be able to in this case given his age and injury), his salary would count towards the cap, and if that moved Portland into luxury tax territory, they would be responsible for that as well. It's not, as I understand it, a mix-and-match scenario, but rather an either/or one: either he retires and we don't get the exception, in which case he counts against both cap and for luxury tax; or we get the exception and he counts for neither.
Charlie78
Starter
And1: 81

Post#37 » by Charlie78 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:59 pm

I think you can rule out anything negative. The way he said it seemed to indicate it was something people would be happy about.
d-train
RealGM

Post#38 » by d-train » Wed Mar 5, 2008 5:13 pm

Has anyone speculated about why Stern was in town yesterday meeting with team management? That isn't something that happens normally. Perhaps there is a tie in or maybe Jason Quick is full of it as usual. Regardless what happens I'm good with it. I like the fact that our media conduit to the team is through a couple of clowns.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#39 » by Spykes » Wed Mar 5, 2008 5:20 pm

d-train wrote:Has anyone speculated about why Stern was in town yesterday meeting with team management? That isn't something that happens normally. Perhaps there is a tie in or maybe Jason Quick is full of it as usual. Regardless what happens I'm good with it. I like the fact that our media conduit to the team is through a couple of clowns.

Look, we get it. You don't like Quick. For the love of God, move on with life and let those of us who enjoy our media rumor have fun. Stop doing this in EVERY thread related to him. :nonono:

Anyway, as for your legitimate question in that post, the company line from Stern is that he was here to support the team and congratulate them on all their success this past year or so. Whether there's more to it than that, who knows?
d-train
RealGM

Post#40 » by d-train » Wed Mar 5, 2008 5:30 pm

Spykes wrote:Look, we get it. You don't like Quick. For the love of God, move on with life and let those of us who enjoy our media rumor have fun. Stop doing this in EVERY thread related to him. :nonono:

Geez, what crawled up your crack?

Spykes wrote:Anyway, as for your legitimate question in that post, the company line from Stern is that he was here to support the team and congratulate them on all their success this past year or so. Whether there's more to it than that, who knows?

Yeah, like I believe that.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers