ImageImage

Potentially big Blazer news coming soon?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#61 » by Yadadimean » Thu Mar 6, 2008 12:33 am

Telfaire wrote:Maybe the big news is that wer'e not resigning Wafer...

Its either that or we're giving him a max deal for 100+ million.
AZ BLAZER
Starter
And1: 0

Post#62 » by AZ BLAZER » Thu Mar 6, 2008 12:42 am

Red Robot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

As I understand it, only free agents count for 3x their previous salary. When they sign a new contract, the value from that contract is used. So Martell would tie up a lot of money while he's FA, but once he agreed to play for the qualifying offer, it's his QO amount that would then count against the cap.

I don't think anyone will be signed to a qualifying offer. Instead, the Blazers will try to negotiate a new multi-year contract with anyone they want to keep. So Portland could sign Martell to a contract starting at reasonable amount (e.g. 3 million), and then have room for a big free agent.

Nice job putting all the salary info together by the way.

I believe this to be correct. What also needs to be added to ebbots numbers are five minimum salary cap holds. Thirteen players must be on the roster at all times. He has us with eight, which I agree with. However, I am certain that Outlaws team option for $4 mil will be picked up, but doubt Sergio is around. The five minimum cap holds will add about $2.25 mil to our cap hit. I think the two draft picks will cost us around $3.3 mil in 2008/09 (#13 and #22), and Rudy will cost us about $971,100.
Yadadimean
Analyst

Post#63 » by Yadadimean » Thu Mar 6, 2008 12:49 am

^^^We have the 22nd pick? From who?
Signature
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#64 » by Mr Odd » Thu Mar 6, 2008 12:55 am

So no offical news of anything yet??

Also if you guys remember me posting
a few weeks back that Quick said Miles
thought he could play but the Blazers
thought he was no where close and
didnt think he ever would be back.
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
AZ BLAZER
Starter

Post#65 » by AZ BLAZER » Thu Mar 6, 2008 1:11 am

Yadadimean wrote:^^^We have the 22nd pick? From who?

No, I am guessing that in this upcoming draft we will have the 13th pick. The draft after that we should probably pick around number 22. It is our own picks in the next two drafts that I am guessing our position in to guesstimate the salary that will be paid to those draft picks at those slots. Just a crude way to further cruch our cap hit for 2008/09.
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 113

Post#66 » by Red Robot » Thu Mar 6, 2008 1:29 am

For what it's worth, rookies can sign for 120% of the rookie scale. Portland seems to have made a habit of offering this amount. Rudy will almost certainly get 120% if he signs. Assuming everyone else does, the salary values for '09-10 will be:

Rudy $1,125,000
08 pick ~$2 million (assuming we don't move up)
09 pick $1-2 million (assuming we make the playoffs)
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#67 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Mar 6, 2008 2:22 am

Red Robot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

As I understand it, only free agents count for 3x their previous salary. When they sign a new contract, the value from that contract is used. So Martell would tie up a lot of money while he's FA, but once he agreed to play for the qualifying offer, it's his QO amount that would then count against the cap.

I don't think anyone will be signed to a qualifying offer. Instead, the Blazers will try to negotiate a new multi-year contract with anyone they want to keep. So Portland could sign Martell to a contract starting at reasonable amount (e.g. 3 million), and then have room for a big free agent.

Nice job putting all the salary info together by the way.

If Martell, Frye, and Jack don't have their contracts extended this summer and are still Blazers entering the 09 off-season, then they will becomes either restricted free agents or unrestricted free agents. They will be restricted if Portland submits the QO's to them by June 30. Then the ball is in the players court and they can take as long as they want to respond.

As long as they have RFA status, their cap-holds will be 300% of the previous salary (they make less then the average salary so 300% is used as the multiplier; if they made more it would be 250%).

So for instance, Martell could take all summer shopping the free agent market and as long as he was Portland's FA, the cap-hold would apply. Obviously, if portland wanted cap-space, they might not even extend the QO and allow Martell to become UFA. The cap-hold would still apply, however, unless Portland renounced their bird rights to Martell.

Martell's cap-hold will be a little over 11.3 million, Frye's around 8.5 million and Jack's around 6 million.

Portland would be taking a big risk if they decided they wanted to re-sign Martell and went into the 09 off-season hoping to sign him immediately. Martell could 'shop' for a couple of months, and considering he'd be RFA, and teams focus on UFA's first, it might take all summer for him to test the market.

By the way, Portland would have to renounce their MLE and BAE for the 2009 summer as well. Exceptions count against the cap.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#68 » by ebott » Thu Mar 6, 2008 3:03 am

Red Robot wrote:Nice job putting all the salary info together by the way.

I'm constantly amazed at how easily one can whip together this kind of stuff on a spreadsheet.

But it probably doesn't matter. It's not like there's going to be any good free agents in 2009. :(
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
AZ BLAZER
Starter

Post#69 » by AZ BLAZER » Thu Mar 6, 2008 3:56 am

ebott wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm constantly amazed at how easily one can whip together this kind of stuff on a spreadsheet.

But it probably doesn't matter. It's not like there's going to be any good free agents in 2009. :(

I agree 100%. I do not really want any of the free agents. Now if Deng or Iggy do not re-sign and accept the qulifying offer then they could be interesting. But PG has to be a target. KP may be able to work a deal where he is trading some of the players he does not see fitting, along with a pick or two, and of course tons of trade exception to a team that wants it. After this season Raef becomes a huge expiring deal along with a lotto pick and expendable young players to possiblt swing a deal. The year after Miles is an expiring that can be packaged with other assets if he does not retire. I think a trade will be more likely.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#70 » by mojomarc » Thu Mar 6, 2008 3:57 am

Charcoal Filtered wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If Miles were to retire, it would be due to medical reasons. We would get exceptions for the cap and luxury tax. As said, it benefits the team as well as Miles. Getting paid in full now is worth alot more than in payments over the next two years, if that is how the buyout of his contract is negotiated.

My point was that Miles' retirement is not enough to trigger the salary coming off the cap--the league has to approve the retirement and agree that he can never play again in order for the exception to be granted. It isn't automatic.
AZ BLAZER
Starter

Post#71 » by AZ BLAZER » Thu Mar 6, 2008 4:00 am

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

My point was that Miles' retirement is not enough to trigger the salary coming off the cap--the league has to approve the retirement and agree that he can never play again in order for the exception to be granted. It isn't automatic.

Very true. Heck, that could be why Stern was in town. To verify everything was legit. Doubtful, but possible.
riehldeal
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#72 » by riehldeal » Thu Mar 6, 2008 4:52 am

AZ BLAZER wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Very true. Heck, that could be why Stern was in town. To verify everything was legit. Doubtful, but possible.

Very possible......well, atleast more possible than just coming to see if we pass the taxi test....what a load of bs that was, like he expects us to believe that actually happened
Yadadimean
Analyst

Post#73 » by Yadadimean » Thu Mar 6, 2008 5:21 am

^^^Taxi test?
Signature
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#74 » by Spykes » Thu Mar 6, 2008 6:46 am

Yadadimean wrote:^^^Taxi test?

It means he gets into a local taxi and talks to the driver to get his feelings on the team. The guy was apparently wearing a Roy jersey, was going to the game and was happy to see the direction the team was going. Therefore, they passed the "taxi test".

Is it Friday yet?
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#75 » by Charcoal Filtered » Thu Mar 6, 2008 9:27 am

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No worries. Valid point. The league would have to approve. I think that there is no way the Blazers agree to anything without this being the case.

He could play again. He would only be prohibited for the length remaining on the contract. It is not in Larry Coon's FAQ's, but remember reading it on the CBA site for the players association.
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#76 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Thu Mar 6, 2008 9:35 am

Got a link to that site, Charcoal?
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Discovery69
Junior

Post#77 » by Discovery69 » Thu Mar 6, 2008 11:27 am

Add one more item to the rumor mill. 8)

Steve Francis had season ending surgery on 2/25 to repair a torn quadriceps tendon in his right knee. He claimed a couple of weeks ago he plans on being back, but it will take extensive rehab.

If he announces his retirement, I believe a portion of his remaning salary from this season and the full amount for next season comes off the books for the Blazers as insurance will kick in.

At 31, he may decide he is ready to hang it up.
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Charcoal Filtered » Thu Mar 6, 2008 12:46 pm

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-VII_4.php

h 5. If a Team applies to have a player
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Charcoal Filtered » Thu Mar 6, 2008 12:48 pm

Discovery69 wrote:
If he announces his retirement, I believe a portion of his remaning salary from this season and the full amount for next season comes off the books for the Blazers as insurance will kick in.

That could not happen. See the two articles above. The injury did not happen with the Blazers and he is no longer with the team.
Discovery69
Junior

Post#80 » by Discovery69 » Thu Mar 6, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks, I was trying to remember if there was any player that had remaining salary on a previous team, but announced his retirement with another team. Anyway, sounds like it is a mute point since Francis contract was bought out.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers