Batum practices with first unit

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Batum practices with first unit 

Post#1 » by Zyme » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:39 am

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazer ... rks_w.html

There was a Tuesday surprise at the Trail Blazers' practice in Tualatin: Nicolas Batum, the 19 year-old rookie forward from France, spent the bulk of the workout running with the starting unit.

The unexpected development, which comes after Batum's impressive exhibition performance Sunday against Utah, is the latest experiment by coach Nate McMillan to plug the hole at small forward created by the injury of Martell Webster.

The Blazers will be without Webster, who had surgery last week to repair a stress fracture in his left foot, for roughly two months and McMillan is searching for a new player rotation to get the team through the 25 games Webster is likely to miss. Travis Outlaw, who was competing with Webster for the starting small forward spot, figured to be the likely fill-in, but McMillan also has been toying with the idea of starting rookie Rudy Fernandez at shooting guard and sliding All-Star Brandon Roy to small forward.

Now, at the very least, Batum appears to be in the mix.

"We have a small forward that's down so we have to put somebody there," McMillan said. "And (Batum's) done a good job. I wanted to take a look at him in that position. I think it's really early to (rush) to judgement; he's doing some good things (but) we have three games to go as far as preseason games.

"Who knows who will be there tomorrow?"
Bruce Ely, The OregonianBatum has advanced defensive ability.

Batum has earned the look with a better-than-expected exhibition season in which he's averaging 8.8 points, 1.8 assists, 1.8 blocks and 1.8 rebounds in roughly 20 minutes per game. He's grown more comfortable -- and more impressive -- recently, epitomized by his performance against the Jazz on Sunday, when he scored a team-high 16 points and added three blocked shots, two steals, two assists and three rebounds in a versatile effort that demonstrated his multi-faceted skill set.

Batum made seven of 11 field goals, including both of his three-point attempts, and played sturdy defense against Utah forward Andrei Kirilenko. Batum, a lanky and long 6-foot-8 player, is ahead of the rookie curve on defense and McMillan said prior to Sunday's game that the only thing preventing Batum from being and NBA starter was his shot, which despite his play Sunday, has been erratic.

That Batum is even receiving a look with the starting unit is especially surprising because of his discouraging performance during the Las Vegas Summer League in July, when appeared overwhelmed and unprepared for the NBA. One of three feature players on the team, Batum -- who called his summer league play "bad" -- averaged just 6.8 points and 4.6 rebounds, while committing a team-high 17 turnovers.

So what's changed?

"I think he's playing basketball," McMillan said. "He's making plays; defensively he's been good guarding the ball. His weak side help has been pretty good. He's just anticipating on the defensive end of the floor. Offensively, he's doing a nice job of playing off the ball. We're not calling plays for him, and he's getting to the offensive glass. He's made pretty good decisions passing the ball. When guys are open, he's trying to get the ball to them. So he's just playing basketball right now. And I think that's the thing that makes him look pretty good. He doesn't try to do anything that he can't do. He's just making reads and making the right plays."

In the long run, however, it seems more likely that Batum will find himself competing for a spot in the rotation rather than a spot among the starters. Even he was caught off guard by Tuesday's surprise.

"Coach Nate called my name and ... I was surprised," Batum said after practice." I work every day ... I've just tried to play my game, work hard on my game. That's it. (I've) tried to enjoy it."

I found this interesting. I know that McMillan has said he wants to try a rudy/roy first unit, I think we can safely say he is going to try this unit sometime this preseason. I would like to see how this preforms compared to the other starting packages and how the other potential starters will react (i.e. outlaw). If this does turn out to be the starting lineup: Blakey, Roy, Batum, LA, Oden; how long would they wait before turning over to bench given Batum's inexperience.
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
dreamcloud
Analyst
And1: 464

Re: Batum practices with first unit 

Post#2 » by dreamcloud » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:56 am

Probably when we have two bad losses in a row, and Batum's shot didn't fall during those games

Hopefully that doesn't happen..but likely will considering our schedule while Martell is out..
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#3 » by SabasRevenge! » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:53 pm

:clap: Nic Batum: Sleeper ROY Candidate!

Sorry, too early...

I love the game that's I've seen from him in the preseason and it's impressive that he has had such an impact on whichever unit he's been on, even in the scrimmages (where he had the highest win % of the team). I'm all for experimenting with Batum in the starting unit even if he is still fairly raw. Maybe he won't spread the floor like Martell, but I think the guy can hit open shots with reasonable consistency and he has looked really impressive on D.
listerine
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#4 » by listerine » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:23 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. It's a pure Nate move that harkens back to the years when we had Viktor and Ime starting at SF. All Nate's looking for from that position is a good man-to-man defender who can hit the open 3. Maybe Batum is the short term answer.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#5 » by BlackMamba » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:45 pm

well i think that maybe he won't have a big stats impact, but he could be a very valuable asset for the blazers. i think both outlaw and martell should really worry and rise their game.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#6 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:25 pm

If Nate thinks that Nicolas Batum is ready to defend the caliber of SF that he will see right out the gate (and it's very good, obviously), then this is an excellent move. Give the kid a little confidence and I think he will do some things with it. I'd have no problem starting him, even if he is to be subbed out quickly.

As far as his offense goes, as long as he learns to pass the ball into Oden I have no problem with it. If he gets hot for a couple games, it only helps the team.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#7 » by Milkdud » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:39 pm

I've been preaching for this to happen for acouple weeks now. If Batum and play solid defensively, run the court and move without the ball then he should at least be a decent stopgap player at SF. This allows Outlaw to still play off the bench (where we get his best) and honestly it a high reward low risk move.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#8 » by NBAMAN2006 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:47 pm

We should start whoever seems the best fit at SF. So far, that has far and away been Batum.

Nate likes defense. Batum plays the best defense of any of our SF's. Nate further know we dont need offense from our SF. If he believes Batum provides this team with the best chance to win as a starter, I would not be suprised to see Nicolas get ~20 minutes the entire year.

You play who helps you win, regardless of whether they are a rookie or not.
Dakotah612
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Dakotah612 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:15 pm

I like this move. We don't lose a step when Batum comes in for Travis. In fact, we actually improve a lot on the defensive end. Nicolas has what Travis doesn't - a high basketball IQ.

If Nic can stay consistent, Travis or Martell will be traded by the deadline.
"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#10 » by NBAMAN2006 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:24 pm

I would argue that is Nic can stay consistent, there is a good chance BOTH Travis and Webster are traded at the deadline. Reason being, trading one would likley be in the pursuit of a veteran SF(I cant see us going for another PG, and we have the other 3 positions locked up). If we keep one and trade one for a vet SF, that means Batum goes to 3rd string simply due to being a rookie or one of Webster/Travis is put at 3rd string which would both piss the player off and lower his overall trade value.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#11 » by magee » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:39 am

Bad news for Outlaw if Batum is being listed as a possible starter. McMillan wants Outlaw off the bench as a 4. Outlaw can't stay with small forwards and can't rebound like opposing power forwards. I've liked what I've seen out of Batum, haven't seen him play this pre-season, but it will be a telling point as to why Pritchard traded up for him if he indeed logs a lot of minutes, regardless if he's starting or not.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#12 » by JD45 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:29 am

magee wrote:Bad news for Outlaw if Batum is being listed as a possible starter. McMillan wants Outlaw off the bench as a 4. Outlaw can't stay with small forwards and can't rebound like opposing power forwards. I've liked what I've seen out of Batum, haven't seen him play this pre-season, but it will be a telling point as to why Pritchard traded up for him if he indeed logs a lot of minutes, regardless if he's starting or not.

This looks bad for Outlaw.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
blazerduck24
Ballboy

Post#13 » by blazerduck24 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:28 am

Batum was one of the go to guys on the summer team and he struggled in that role. Now he would be the fifth option in whatever lineup he ends up playing in so he can focus purely on his strengths: Defense and scrappiness. I think it is may be too early for Batum to be our starter but you gotta love the progression. Tayshaun Prince couldnt shoot when he came into the league either but he has developed a serviceable if not solid jumper to go along with his length and versatility. Here's hoping Batum follows the same path.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#14 » by Tim Lehrbach » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:41 am

SabasRevenge! wrote:Maybe he won't spread the floor like Martell

Maybe not, but then again, Martell doesn't spread the floor like Martell either half of the time.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
blazersmaniac8
Analyst

Post#15 » by blazersmaniac8 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:34 am

I only wouldn't do it because Outlaw will NOT be happy. And right fully so being benched for a rook when he thought webster was his competition and his mind thought he was better (obviously by the article on him wanting to start). So this will not fly and don't see it happening but I've seen crazier things. I remember one year in the first 10 games richie frahm and sergio monia were starting at sg (man those years were bad heh).
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#16 » by Zyme » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:39 am

I think they should do what is best for the team if that is Batum, fine. Outlaw, just as well. I really think they need to sit down and reconsile what they want to do with this team. Otherwise, we may be heading toward a clusterfark at PG and SF.
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers