ImageImage

Rumor: Hinrich to Blazers

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Rumor: Hinrich to Blazers 

Post#61 » by d-train » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:59 am

boogydown wrote:Considering Gordon plays SG, and not PG at all, why would he sign with Portland when he knows he will fight for minutes. Roy and Rudy are SG's, plus you have Webster. I doubt KP will waste money on Gordon when he has 4 other players who he will need to pay the max to. You can go over the salary cap sure, but once you start going over 90 to 100 million without having a winning team, you're just wasting money and no owner from Cuban to whoever should do that.

The Blazers need a guard that can defend the PG and Gordon is a perfect fit.

Gordon might not be the Blazers #1 option but then again he might be. In any case, Gordon is a better option than Hinrich.
blazersmaniac8
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#62 » by blazersmaniac8 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:29 am

nah I'd rather have hinrich instead of gordon. I'm a fan of this trade and have always been in favor of buying low on hinrich. Also when hinrich gets back from injury blake gets less minutes and then maybe we can swing blake/frye for a banger pf on a reasonable deal locked up longterm like maxiel (altho doubtful I know)
d-train
RealGM

Post#63 » by d-train » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:37 am

blazersmaniac8 wrote:nah I'd rather have hinrich instead of gordon. I'm a fan of this trade and have always been in favor of buying low on hinrich. Also when hinrich gets back from injury blake gets less minutes and then maybe we can swing blake/frye for a banger pf on a reasonable deal locked up longterm like maxiel (altho doubtful I know)

I don't mind buying low on Hinrich. I like Hinrich. I'm against trading expiring contracts. I'm willing to trade matching contracts such as Przybilla and (Webster or Blake). Notice Bulls fans are anxious to trade Hinrich for LaFrentz but none of them want better players with contracts.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#64 » by BlackMamba » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:39 am

well, a bulls fan posted that hinrich is a great defender and can cover pg, sg and sf!

i truly believe he is the perfect fit for this team.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#65 » by cucad8 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:07 am

So instead of moving an expiring for him, you want to get rid of our backup C, and our once starting SF, as well as our starting PG for him, primarily so we can outbid them for Ben Gordon? Or another magical free agent?

And it was started by a Blazers fan, not a Bulls fan, sorry.
d-train
RealGM

Post#66 » by d-train » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:19 am

cucad8 wrote:So instead of moving an expiring for him, you want to get rid of our backup C, and our once starting SF, as well as our starting PG for him, primarily so we can outbid them for Ben Gordon? Or another magical free agent?

Yes, except I don't believe we could trade both Blake and Webster, just one or the other. I like trading backup players for starters. Webster is a backup player as evidenced by the small contract and pay cut he recently signed. I still believe Hinrich is a quality starter but not as good as Gordon.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#67 » by Soulyss » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:23 am

TBpup, You said in a thread that "Someone you like will have to go..." So, do you have any info or think this is legit?

The Hinrich to Portland speculation has been going on and on for a while, to the point where it lost credibility, but with Rose's play you have to wonder...
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#68 » by NBAMAN2006 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:05 am

1) For those who say we should keep Raef in the hopes of getting a player better than Kirk, who is that player(s). I keep hearing of these mythical free agents that we are going to get this summer, but I have read of few which fit better than Kirk.

2) For those who say this will kill our cap space plan, no it wont. If we let Blake, Frye and Ike walk we would still have a decent amount of cap space. Let Outlaw walk and we have even more.

3) For those who say Kirk is a overhyped Blake, no. Kirk is a far, far better player. His defense and PG abilities in the open court are better by miles than Blake's. He is a worse shooter % wise, but he takes and has taken alot more contested J's than Blake. Kirk has never, ever played with even a decent post player, which inevitably gets you open shots.

This deal would be great for Portland. I hate, hate, hate loosing Sergio. But, he will never be more than a backup here due to his relativley bad play alongside Roy. Still, he is the only player who pushes the tempo offensivley. Still, he probably isnt in our future plans. BLAH....I dont even know how I think.
RUDYxBLAZERS
Junior

Post#69 » by RUDYxBLAZERS » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:21 am

I'm so-so on this trade.

We're talking about an injured Hinrich. So there's some uncertainty right there already. This is a guy who will be back late Jan-early February so we don't know where he'll be in the coming months. Blake could be playing great and our record could be great but we bring Hinrich back and where does he fit in? Do we start Hinrich and put Blake on the bench? We also have Bayless on the bench, who may be just as talented as Hinrich right now, but just not as NBA ready. I don't think this trade needs to be made. Also, Sergio has been playing good ball and he's also really good friend's with Rudy so how will Rudy feel? I know this is the NBA and players have to go where there sent but Rudy would still feel the affects of the trade, especially since Rudy plays best with him in the 5-10 minutes they get together.

Obviously the main concern with me is team chemistry if we land Kirk. On the flip side, the trade can work out if Kirk eventually slides into the starting lineup and provides the veteran leadership we need at the point.

Overall, I say no to the trade. Too much uncertainty.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by NBAMAN2006 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:33 am

I think his injury is an upside of this deal. First off, its a broken hand, which isnt going to be a game changing or reoccouring problem in Basketball, most of the time.

Secondly, if we deal for Kirk while he is injured, we get to see a bit more of what we have in Bayless. We can give him Sergio's backup PG minutes. It may hurt our team a bit, but it is a great evaluator in the long run. If he plays well, we can let Blake walk this summer and go with a healthy Kirk and Bayless as his backup for the 2009/10 season.

I dont want to see Sergio go, but I just cant envision him as a long term player on this team.
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#71 » by Yadadimean » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:39 am

Im not a big Hinrich fan, but it KP thinks is the best move, then its probably the best move. Id rather trade Blake than Sergio in a deal for Hinrich though.
Signature
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#72 » by boogydown » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:59 am

d-train wrote:
boogydown wrote:Considering Gordon plays SG, and not PG at all, why would he sign with Portland when he knows he will fight for minutes. Roy and Rudy are SG's, plus you have Webster. I doubt KP will waste money on Gordon when he has 4 other players who he will need to pay the max to. You can go over the salary cap sure, but once you start going over 90 to 100 million without having a winning team, you're just wasting money and no owner from Cuban to whoever should do that.

Gordon might not be the Blazers #1 option but then again he might be. In any case, Gordon is a better option than Hinrich.

Portland needs a true point guard who can distribute the ball properly to it's offensive players Rudy + Roy + LA + Oden. Adding another scoring guard only takes away shots from it's current offensive players and doesn't necessary provide a beneficial return on the court. You have that in Bayless, adding Gordon is pointless. As well, you need a guard who can defensively take defense pressure off your scoring guards Roy + Rudy so they can play more minutes which that guy would be Hinrich. Gordon would give you 15+ points a night with the cluttered back court which is something you don't need.

Going after Gordon is pointless as now you have 5 players near the max totaling to around 65 to 75 not counting 10 players on the side which makes your cap go over 100+ million which despite Portland having a rich owner, he still wants to earn a profit or his advisers would tell him to sell the team. It's still all about money in the end.

Hinrich in my opinion is one of the best fits for Portland, and I feel this would make Portland a contender within a year or two.
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Post#73 » by a_sensei » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:01 am

d-train wrote:
blazersmaniac8 wrote:nah I'd rather have hinrich instead of gordon. I'm a fan of this trade and have always been in favor of buying low on hinrich. Also when hinrich gets back from injury blake gets less minutes and then maybe we can swing blake/frye for a banger pf on a reasonable deal locked up longterm like maxiel (altho doubtful I know)

I don't mind buying low on Hinrich. I like Hinrich. I'm against trading expiring contracts. I'm willing to trade matching contracts such as Przybilla and (Webster or Blake). Notice Bulls fans are anxious to trade Hinrich for LaFrentz but none of them want better players with contracts.

I think Pryzbilla needs to be mostly off limits at this point. He has proven to be probably the best backup Center in the league on a team whose starting center is a rookie who has played in 4 out of 91 games. He's clearly proved to be a much more valuable big then Frye or Diogu and I don't think it would be at all easy to replace his production.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#74 » by sonny » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:13 am

NBAMAN2006 wrote:I think his injury is an upside of this deal. First off, its a broken hand, which isnt going to be a game changing or reoccouring problem in Basketball, most of the time.

Secondly, if we deal for Kirk while he is injured, we get to see a bit more of what we have in Bayless. We can give him Sergio's backup PG minutes. It may hurt our team a bit, but it is a great evaluator in the long run. If he plays well, we can let Blake walk this summer and go with a healthy Kirk and Bayless as his backup for the 2009/10 season.

I dont want to see Sergio go, but I just cant envision him as a long term player on this team.

It's a torn ligament in his thumb.
Twith
Senior

Post#75 » by Twith » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:23 am

Re: the injury, I think injuries scare people away from trades more than they should. I remember some people citing Devin Harris' ankle injury last year as a reason to not trade for him, when in reality it is a slight short-term setback for a long-term discount.

FWIW I still think it was a mistake to not take that Outlaw/Harris trade when we had the chance, if it was indeed on the table.
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#76 » by girlygirl » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:24 am

d-train wrote:

Ben Gordon is not a very good defender. He is much worse on that end of the floor than Hinrich. At at barely 6'1" in socks (6'2" in shoes) he's nearly 2" shorter than Hinrich.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#77 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:28 am

Twith wrote:Re: the injury, I think injuries scare people away from trades more than they should. I remember some people citing Devin Harris' ankle injury last year as a reason to not trade for him, when in reality it is a slight short-term setback for a long-term discount.

FWIW I still think it was a mistake to not take that Outlaw/Harris trade when we had the chance, if it was indeed on the table.

I never really heard about any actual Harris to portland deals, maybe I'm just forgetting them. I do recall the Kidd to portland deals as part of the Harris to NJ trade
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#78 » by mojomarc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:08 am

Wizenheimer wrote:I never really heard about any actual Harris to portland deals, maybe I'm just forgetting them. I do recall the Kidd to portland deals as part of the Harris to NJ trade

There was a rumor that Portland was going to trade out Outlaw and get Harris back but KP dragged his feet so Portland was cut out of the deal, but I don't remember hearing any confirmation that the rumor was anything more than wishful thinking by Portland fans.
Twith
Senior

Post#79 » by Twith » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:19 am

ESPN was all over it, they were reporting the deal that was on the table.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3223513

Harris was hurt (lowest value) and Travis was the buzz of the league (highest value). Was Outlaw not worth it to upgrade Jack to Harris and Frye to Bass?
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by NBAMAN2006 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:21 am

It KP really turned down that trade, I will now only consider him a amazing GM rather than a diety GM.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers