ImageImage

Would the Blazers consider this?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Re: Would the Blazers consider this? 

Post#21 » by Ripcity4life » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:23 pm

It's not just about the numbers IF a deal like this was to happen. It's about the playoff experience Jefferson would bring to this team. This being the case it's way more important the playoff experience over anything else IF things are pretty equal. This is the type of deal that NEEDS to happen if the Blazers are to take the next step.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#22 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:57 pm

Ripcity4life wrote:It's not just about the numbers IF a deal like this was to happen. It's about the playoff experience Jefferson would bring to this team. This being the case it's way more important the playoff experience over anything else IF things are pretty equal. This is the type of deal that NEEDS to happen if the Blazers are to take the next step.

Well if it's playoff experience we're looking for, we could do much better than a mediocre player getting paid Zach Randolph money. When you factor in Gadzurich's contract, we'd be paying an average of 21 MILLION between the 2 players for 3 years in order to acquire Jefferson. If this is the best offer Milwaukee can come up with, I'm content with trying to find another trade partner because while Jefferson may be a nice fit for this team, he's not the only fit and locking up more than 1/3 of our cap space in two mediocre players especially when considering Brandon Roy and Lamarcus's contract situation is flat out ridiculous. If Gadz were removed from the deal, we may have a starting point, but as far as I'm concerned, Milwaukee runs like bandits from the trade suggested in the OP.
Bmoney
Senior
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Bmoney » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:59 pm

HELL NO!!!!
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 848

Post#24 » by tester551 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:27 am

Oden2 wrote:
Ripcity4life wrote:It's not just about the numbers IF a deal like this was to happen. It's about the playoff experience Jefferson would bring to this team. This being the case it's way more important the playoff experience over anything else IF things are pretty equal. This is the type of deal that NEEDS to happen if the Blazers are to take the next step.

Well if it's playoff experience we're looking for, we could do much better than a mediocre player getting paid Zach Randolph money. When you factor in Gadzurich's contract, we'd be paying an average of 21 MILLION between the 2 players for 3 years in order to acquire Jefferson. If this is the best offer Milwaukee can come up with, I'm content with trying to find another trade partner because while Jefferson may be a nice fit for this team, he's not the only fit and locking up more than 1/3 of our cap space in two mediocre players especially when considering Brandon Roy and Lamarcus's contract situation is flat out ridiculous. If Gadz were removed from the deal, we may have a starting point, but as far as I'm concerned, Milwaukee runs like bandits from the trade suggested in the OP.

+1

Jefferson would be a nice fit, but the deal is too expensive for Portland. I don't think Portland would be willing to take that much more money on for RJ.
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#25 » by Ripcity4life » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 am

I was just talking about Jefferson more then this deal but Dan looked pretty good as Oden's punching bag so get rid of Ike and sub Dan but like i said talking more about RJ. Since i saw someone trying to do a stats comparison between Travis and RJ.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,215

Post#26 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:23 am

Spykes wrote:Honestly, I'd want that pick completely unprotected to be willing to take on Gadzuric's awful contract.

I think the most we'd be willing to do is top 3.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#27 » by Spykes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:33 am

RingtheBell wrote:
Spykes wrote:Honestly, I'd want that pick completely unprotected to be willing to take on Gadzuric's awful contract.

I think the most we'd be willing to do is top 3.

Then I'd just pass on this deal. I really have no interest in taking on that much salary. Especially when a good chunk of that salary is attached to a player as useless as Gadz.
Neptune_Balla21
Banned User

Post#28 » by Neptune_Balla21 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:49 am

IMHO, the way RJ is playing I would be happy with RJ + 1st for LaFrentz.

If we could somehow include Webster, Bayless or Outlaw, I would cream myself in excitement.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#29 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:59 am

Oden2 wrote:If he would be willing to be a 12-14 PPG player, he may be an option, but it's pretty clear that RJ won't have much of a chance to be a 'star' player in Portland.

He only averages like 17 ppg when Redd plays so I wouldn't even think 12-14 on a winning team, with as many weapons as you guys, would give him anything to complain about.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#30 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:25 am

What if the trade was expanded just a bit, giving you guys another useful player.

Richard Jefferson, Luke Ridnour, Dan Gadzuric, 1st (Top 5 protected)

for

Raef Lafrentz, Martell Webster, Travis Outlaw, Sergio Rodriguez

Not sure if you guys view Ridnour as a negative like some teams in the league but he would give you a quality backup/starter at the point.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,951

Post#31 » by JasonStern » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:32 am

RingtheBell wrote:Richard Jefferson, Luke Ridnour, Dan Gadzuric, 1st (Top 5 protected)

for

Raef Lafrentz, Martell Webster, Travis Outlaw, Sergio Rodriguez

replace ridnour with sessions and I'd be interested in a "not my money to play with" way, but I'm still unsure portland would do it...
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#32 » by farzi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:09 am

Portland won't trade Webster AND Outlaw
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#33 » by mojomarc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm

farzi wrote:Portland won't trade Webster AND Outlaw

They would if they got a SF back who could play 35mpg at a near all-star level, because that player and Batum would soak up all the minutes at SF anyway.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#34 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:33 pm

mojomarc wrote:
farzi wrote:Portland won't trade Webster AND Outlaw

They would if they got a SF back who could play 35mpg at a near all-star level, because that player and Batum would soak up all the minutes at SF anyway.

this is a point on which we agree. Trading a marginal SF and the backup PF for a high-level starting SF would be a desirable trade. I know you think I'm an outlaw nut-hugger (compared to a legal nut-hugger), but I'd happily ship him out for the right return.

The first problem is it's doubtful another team will cooperate without portland adding more in the way of assets.

The 2nd problem is finding a SF at that level who is actually available at a realistic price. Gerald Wallace and Caron Butler are at that level. But I really don't believe Butler is available, and he certainly couldn't be had for outlaw and webster. Aldridge would have to be added most likely. Wallace might be a little more realistic target, but again, Portland would have to pay more. And the question then arises of how good a fit he'd be in the offense. And both those players have lengthy injury histories.

After those 2, there's a considerable drop-off to the level of Richard Jefferson and Mike Miller. While I have 'advocated' for them in trade threads, truth be told, neither is that attractive, although I do think Miller is worth considering because of his perimeter shooting and his contract.

There's also free agency and this summer's cap-space. Both Torkoglu and Artest will be UFA. Neither are perfect options and I'd doubt, especially in Artest's case, that KP would be willing to go for a long term contract that didn't have a early team-termination option. Artest is probably too big a risk anyway (although his defense would be welcome). Hedo is more of a possibility. I'm not sure he'd be willing to leave Orlando though, and I'm concerned about his tendency to be a low-percentage chucker. We have travis for that and he's more quotable.

There just don't seem to be any great options.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by mojomarc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:37 pm

I wasn't commenting on the trade merits so much as the assertion that we wouldn't send Outlaw and Martell out in the same trade.
iviethod
Ballboy

Post#36 » by iviethod » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:50 am

ok whoever thought of that trade is a (Please Use More Appropriate Word) i cant beleive as a blazer fan u would want to do that? firsrt off outlaw is better then r jeff, dan gaz is terrible martell is a starter if he can get healthy and on top of all u throw them a draft pick too. I highly doubt u watch ne basketball at all if u thought of something like taht up
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by mojomarc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:13 am

Travis is better than Richard Jefferson? Seriously?
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Spykes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:15 am

mojomarc wrote:Travis is better than Richard Jefferson? Seriously?

If you ask most Bucks fans, I think they'd agree with that to a point. I know for a fact that 90% of them would gladly move RJ for Raef and Travis.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by mojomarc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:32 am

Spykes wrote:
mojomarc wrote:Travis is better than Richard Jefferson? Seriously?

If you ask most Bucks fans, I think they'd agree with that to a point. I know for a fact that 90% of them would gladly move RJ for Raef and Travis.

RJ for Raef and Travis could be a "we'll take a role player in order to get cap relief" sentiment. I know RJ hasn't been a great fit there, but as bad as he has been I don't think there is a GM in the league that would consider the trade straight up.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Spykes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:34 am

mojomarc wrote:RJ for Raef and Travis could be a "we'll take a role player in order to get cap relief" sentiment. I know RJ hasn't been a great fit there, but as bad as he has been I don't think there is a GM in the league that would consider the trade straight up.

That's not the way they were making it out to be... They seemed pretty well convinced Travis could more than replace what they get from RJ. Of course, they're extremely down on Jefferson over in Milwaukee.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers