ImageImage

Quick: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Yangsing
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Re: Quick: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF 

Post#21 » by Yangsing » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:07 pm

I don't want anyone from Chicago (aside from Rose)....
DmoneyH3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#22 » by DmoneyH3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:07 pm

I would cry if we traded Outlaw..there goes the team chemistry (for thsi season at least) if he is dealt. He is tight with everyone.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#23 » by Spykes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Assuming that it is indeed Raef, Sergio and Travis as the 3 players being traded, then the Deng and Hinrich deal seems to be the most logical. The contracts match up perfectly in the trade checker. Both the Blazers and Bulls have had conversations in the past. Bulls would be saving a ton of money to properly rebuild that team around Rose, they'd be getting a more reasonable backup for Rose at PG and Outlaw could start at PF for them and immediately be an improvement over anyone they currently got at that spot. But obviously the big draw for the Bulls would be dumping salary in that deal.

It should be noted that Nocioni and Kirk's salaries also match the Raef, Sergio and Outlaw combo. That might be a bit more realistic as the Bulls have historically been VERY high on Deng.

With that said, I'll just go down the list of Eastern teams that might have a PG and SF up for trade and who's combo of said players match the combined salaries of Travis, Sergio and Raef...

Pacers: Ford and Dunleavy. Jack has been solid for them, lessening their need for Ford. And with the emergence of Granger as a true star, I think some cap space would be very attractive to them to rebuild around Danny.

Bucks: Jefferson and Sessions. This trade doesn't work under the checker, but probably should be mentioned. The Bucks would have to add in another player to make the deal work. The latest report says that the Bucks owner is getting prepped to sell the team. Teams generally gearing up to have their franchise sold will dump as much salary as possible to make it more appealing to potential new owners. That way the new owners aren't saddled with the mistakes of the old regime. So the Bucks could be potential players in a deal.

Nets: Carter and Dooling. Definitely a salary dump move, but it could be a smart move for that team moving forward. They get cap flexibility and younger players who are good fits alongside Harris. Like the Pacers and Bulls, the Nets need to start properly rebuilding around their young budding star in Harris. Carter is a nice fit next to him right now, but he's not a long-term solution for them.

Sixers: Miller and Iggy. EXTREME long shot. In fact, I'm even reluctant to put this one on here as I don't believe it's realistic. But the contracts match up and the Sixers are openly considering moving Miller. I can't imagine they've been real happy with their past summer investments. But I just don't see them moving Iggy.

Wizards: Butler and James. This is even less likely than the Sixer trade imo. But again, contracts match up. Mike James was just traded, so he can't be traded again until Feb 10th, but that's before the deadline.

Bobcats: Wallace and Felton. This deal was mentioned earlier in the thread. Contracts don't match, the Cats would have to add something else in, but they have enough "salary filler" guys to fill an NBDL team, so that's not exactly a problem.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,107

Post#24 » by Effigy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:14 pm

Carter/Harris.

Hey, he said it would push us to championship contenders, and this would do that. Would Felton/Wallace or Sessions/RJ? Doubtfull.
DevilDetails
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#25 » by DevilDetails » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:15 pm

How's Deng's defense these days?
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#26 » by SabasRevenge! » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:15 pm

Bonzi wrote:Harris.

:pray:
Andre 2999
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#27 » by Andre 2999 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:16 pm

I love this time of year!
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#28 » by Billy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Thanks for posting this Spykes. I was listening but received a call right when this came up so I didn't hear everything. Totally missed the Western Conference team being mentioned (doesn't sound like it will matter anyway). Did I also hear that this Eastern Conference team had recently added "sweetener"

If it's sweetener my guess is Charlotte.

G. Wallace has been a target, as has Felton (according to various media). Portland may have been engaged in discussions about Wallace, Wallace gets hurt, and Charlotte decides they want to push through with the deal and offers up Felton as sweetener?

I would imagine Charlotte would have their eyes set on Sergio, Outlaw and Frye (although he's not in the rotation). Anyone of those guys Portland would give up IMO.

My next immediate thought was Chicago with Kirk and Deng/Nocioni. Not as sold on Kirk/Nocioni as I would be with Kirk/Deng. But that seems way too good to be true.

I'd imagine Chicago would have primary interest in Rudy, Outlaw, Frye. If I did hear right about "sweetener" or something like that, I'd have no idea who that would be.

My third thought was Milwaukee as well. Session's was liked a lot by Pritchard. Jefferson seems like a potential target (and again one that has been linked in the past to Portland), but I don't see how these two propel Portland into that upper echelon of the West.

Right now a lineup of:

Blake/Felton
Roy/Rudy
Wallace/Batum
Aldridge/Diogu
Oden/Joel

or

Hinrich/Blake
Roy/Rudy?
Deng or Nocioni/Batum
Aldridge/Frye
Oden/Joel

Does look pretty nice...
The Emcee
General Manager
And1: 156

Post#29 » by The Emcee » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:18 pm

OOOOO I love these threads :D

I wouldn't mind Wallace/Felton or Deng/Hinrich.
Effigy
RealGM

Post#30 » by Effigy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:37 pm

Blazers and Nets famously had conversations last year. Also NJ might move Harris after the feud with coach Frank.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#31 » by Billy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Bonzi wrote:Blazers and Nets famously had conversations last year. Also NJ might move Harris after the feud with coach Frank.

Possibly, but I'd have to peg that at less than a 5% chance. Frank seems to be highly regarded by Thorn, but you almost never see coach win over player unless the coach has an incredible track record, or was just hired. I don't think Frank fits either of those categories.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 843

Post#32 » by tester551 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Bonzi wrote:Blazers and Nets famously had conversations last year. Also NJ might move Harris after the feud with coach Frank.

What is this? I haven't heard anything like this...
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,142

Post#33 » by cucad8 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:42 pm

I think NJ would fire Frank befoer trading Harris.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#34 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:43 pm

I'd say Chicago probably makes the most sense at this point. I get the feeling that John Paxon would absolutely love the possibility of trading away a good portion of Chicago's salary and building around Rose through the free agency in either 2009 (Boozer) or 2010 (Amare, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, etc.). Taking 20 million off the books would definitely help them in that feat, and assuming it would be Hinrich and Deng if Chicago is the unmentioned team, it would definitely benefit Portland in terms of talent.
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#35 » by Yadadimean » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:44 pm

its clearly Mo Williams and LeBron James. How could you possibly think it would be anybody else?
Signature
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,406

Post#36 » by magee » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Personally, I think it's Atlanta. They have a great starting unit with Bibby, Johnson, Williams, Smith and Horford. But they can't afford to re-sign both Bibby and Johnson this summer. Johnson is the more logical choice to be re-signed. They aren't playing that great right now and only play 8 strong. But they also are in the thick of things despite not having Al Horford playing right now. He makes the difference between that team being a bubble playoff team and being a legit second round team and potential upsetters. They won't be able to re-sign Marvin Williams. They can just bring Childress over this summer. The trade:

Bibby, Williams and Solomon Jones to Portland

Rodriguez, Outlaw, Diogu, LaFrentz and pick to Atlanta

Bibby by far and away be the best back-up PG in the NBA. Both he and Blake could go all-out for 24-minute stints. They are vets and have been to the playoffs. Gives Bayless one more vet. to learn from. Williams' 3-point shot has gotten so good it's to the point where he would not be a casualty on offense. He's big at 6'9". Jones is filler.

For Atlanta, they decide if they can truly contend in the East with the team they have right now. No. Absolutely not. Especially now since Orlando has become a top-notch team and Boston and CLeveland will always be there. They get some youth and team players in Outlaw and Rodriguez, as well as some sort of pick, probably a first-rounder. But most importantly, they get cap-room. They go and re-sign Childress and hand the reins over to Acie Law and make him prove he's their future PG. Rodriguez is a back-up again, but he won't ever start anywhere else in the NBA. Diogu is filler.

Looking at all the other East teams, Chicago and Charlotte stick out, but since Wallace got hurt, I can't see them trading Felton and GW in a package. Chicago is the other most likely scenario, but they'd rather get rid of Nocioni's contract. Who knows. If Hinrich would be willing to be a back-up, then it's surely possible, but his contract wouldn't allow Bayless to become the future PG, unless the Blazers let Blake go this off-season and keep Hinrich until Bayless is ready.

I say it's Altanta. My reasoning may be different and some of the players may not be involved, but that's what i came up with on the fly. ATL may even want Joel Freeland and hope he turns out to be what they originally wanted out of David Andersen: a cheap big man who can shoot and rebound.
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#37 » by Yadadimean » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:49 pm

could Marion and Chalmers be a possibility?
Signature
PacificBlazer
Starter
And1: 128

Post#38 » by PacificBlazer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:53 pm

I am pretty sure New Jersey is rebuilding around Harris. Not happening.

And really I doubt anything happens at all but it is fun to talk about. I love this team so if no trades are made I am perfectly happy.
Oh hi Realgm
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#39 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 pm

magee wrote:Personally, I think it's Atlanta. They have a great starting unit with Bibby, Johnson, Williams, Smith and Horford. But they can't afford to re-sign both Bibby and Johnson this summer. Johnson is the more logical choice to be re-signed. They aren't playing that great right now and only play 8 strong. But they also are in the thick of things despite not having Al Horford playing right now. He makes the difference between that team being a bubble playoff team and being a legit second round team and potential upsetters. They won't be able to re-sign Marvin Williams. They can just bring Childress over this summer. The trade:

Bibby, Williams and Solomon Jones to Portland

Rodriguez, Outlaw, Diogu, LaFrentz and pick to Atlanta

Bibby by far and away be the best back-up PG in the NBA. Both he and Blake could go all-out for 24-minute stints. They are vets and have been to the playoffs. Gives Bayless one more vet. to learn from. Williams' 3-point shot has gotten so good it's to the point where he would not be a casualty on offense. He's big at 6'9". Jones is filler.

For Atlanta, they decide if they can truly contend in the East with the team they have right now. No. Absolutely not. Especially now since Orlando has become a top-notch team and Boston and CLeveland will always be there. They get some youth and team players in Outlaw and Rodriguez, as well as some sort of pick, probably a first-rounder. But most importantly, they get cap-room. They go and re-sign Childress and hand the reins over to Acie Law and make him prove he's their future PG. Rodriguez is a back-up again, but he won't ever start anywhere else in the NBA. Diogu is filler.

Looking at all the other East teams, Chicago and Charlotte stick out, but since Wallace got hurt, I can't see them trading Felton and GW in a package. Chicago is the other most likely scenario, but they'd rather get rid of Nocioni's contract. Who knows. If Hinrich would be willing to be a back-up, then it's surely possible, but his contract wouldn't allow Bayless to become the future PG, unless the Blazers let Blake go this off-season and keep Hinrich until Bayless is ready.

I say it's Altanta. My reasoning may be different and some of the players may not be involved, but that's what i came up with on the fly. ATL may even want Joel Freeland and hope he turns out to be what they originally wanted out of David Andersen: a cheap big man who can shoot and rebound.

While your post makes some sense, I find it hard to believe that Atlanta would trade away key pieces mid season being that they're just starting to come along as a team. When fully healthy, some might argue that they're as potent as some of the western playoff contenders. I'm not sure where they'd fit in with the west myself, but they definitely have the potential to surprise many people in the playoffs this season.
Effigy
RealGM

Post#40 » by Effigy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 pm

Arenas and Butler?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers