ImageImage

Quick: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Re: Quick: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF 

Post#401 » by JD45 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:05 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:Actually the Sixers "insider" guy said Miller, Evans, Rush for Sergio, Outlaw, Raef, and potentially a conditional 1st.

My idea is putting the two things together and saying:

Miller
Rush
Evans
Thad

for

Sergio
Outlaw
Raef
Rudy

Would the Blazers do that deal?

I like it, purely for Thad.

Maybe this is the deal that is rumored. I doubt the Sixers had been willing to part with Thad in the past, so things might have changed.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#402 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:12 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:Actually the Sixers "insider" guy said Miller, Evans, Rush for Sergio, Outlaw, Raef, and potentially a conditional 1st.

Miller
Rush
Evans
Thad

for

Sergio
Outlaw
Raef
Rudy

adding Young and Rudy to the deal makes it more intriguing. I don't think there is any way the Blazers do the first deal.

Your idea has the blazers getting back a good young SF prospect. I think it's a good idea, but ultimately, the inclusion of Evans and his lousy contract would kill the deal, IMO.

Now, if the 76ers took back Webster instead of Outlaw, Portland might do that deal. Or if you really wanted Outlaw and instead of sending Evans to Portland, you sent Jason Smith, then that might be acceptable.

It's close for any of the 3 deals though
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#403 » by SabasRevenge! » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:15 pm

Miller
Rush
Evans
Thad

for

Sergio
Outlaw
Raef
Rudy

Sign me up
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#404 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:24 pm

JD45 wrote:

Miller
Rush
Evans
Thad

for

Sergio
Outlaw
Raef
Rudy

I like it, purely for Thad.

Maybe this is the deal that is rumored. I doubt the Sixers had been willing to part with Thad in the past, so things might have changed.

that's actually a good thought.

Apparently the 76ers had a notion that Iggy could play SG and Young SF, but that idea has been shot down by the realities of Iggy's game.

I'd probably do this trade:

Philadelphia 76ers

Incoming Players

Martell Webster
Salary: $3,771,133 Years Remaining: 5
PTS: 0.0 REB: 0.0 AST: 0.0 PER: -8.52

Rudy Fernandez
Salary: $1,084,080 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 10.7 REB: 3.0 AST: 2.1 PER: 15.57

Raef LaFrentz
Salary: $12,722,500 Years Remaining: 1

Sergio Rodriguez
Salary: $874,000 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 4.5 REB: 1.6 AST: 3.6 PER: 12.01

Outgoing Players: Reggie Evans, Andre Miller, Thaddeus Young

Portland Trail Blazers

Incoming Players
Reggie Evans
Salary: $4,640,000 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 2.5 REB: 4.1 AST: 0.4 PER: 10.24

Andre Miller
Salary: $10,333,334 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 16.0 REB: 4.2 AST: 6.5 PER: 18.25

Thaddeus Young
Salary: $1,968,120 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 13.5 REB: 5.0 AST: 1.1 PER: 13.13

Outgoing Players: Martell Webster, Rudy Fernandez, Raef LaFrentz, Sergio Rodriguez
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#405 » by 51X3RF4N » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:31 pm

Interesting...

I think it may even fit into what your guy says...

we originally started with Miller, Evans, Rush for Sergio, Outlaw, Raef...

Now, we add the sweetener of Thad and ask for Rudy...who knows?

I'd be happy with:

Sergio/Ivey
Rudy/LouWill
Iggy/Outlaw
Brand(next year)/Speights
Dalembert

Put the 2 guards who can run the floor and be our Parker/Ginobili...with Ivey/Lou off the bench.

Then Iggy/Outlaw at the 3? Speights at the 4 developing until Brand gets back? Our only problem area would be C, but with a 1st in 2009, and assuming that without Brand this team doens't win much....it could be a lottery pick, we could get that C depth.

I'd be totally happy with that. Sucks to lose Thad, but he doesn't fit next to Iggy, and if management is intent on keeping Iggy forever, one of them needs to be used to get a true SG in here, which is Rudy.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#406 » by TheRevTy » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:52 pm

A Spanish news site is reporting the Magic turned down a deal of Blake/Rodriguez/Frye for Turkoglu/Johnson.

That seems to fit the parameters of the rumored trade, other than Blake being a starter.

On a side note, if you subbed Outlaw in for Blake, I think Otis would accept immediately.
Walton'sBeard!
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#407 » by Walton'sBeard! » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:59 pm

TheRevTy wrote:A Spanish news site is reporting the Magic turned down a deal of Blake/Rodriguez/Frye for Turkoglu/Johnson.

That seems to fit the parameters of the rumored trade, other than Blake being a starter.

On a side note, if you subbed Outlaw in for Blake, I think Otis would accept immediately.

Johnson? As in Anthony Johnson? How does that fit the parameters of the trade, that guy would be cut before he even reached Oregon.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#408 » by freshie2 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:58 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:Interesting...

I'd be happy with:

Sergio/Ivey
Rudy/LouWill
Iggy/Outlaw
Dalembert

Put the 2 guards who can run the floor and be our Parker/Ginobili...with Ivey/Lou off the bench.

Then Iggy/Outlaw at the 3? Speights at the 4 developing until Brand gets back? Our only problem area would be C, but with a 1st in 2009, and assuming that without Brand this team doens't win much....it could be a lottery pick, we could get that C depth.

I'd be totally happy with that. Sucks to lose Thad, but he doesn't fit next to Iggy, and if management is intent on keeping Iggy forever, one of them needs to be used to get a true SG in here, which is Rudy.

I honestly would be shocked if the Sixers moved Thad in any deal that doesn't bring back a star quality player, and I don't know that this deal accomplishes that. Sergio and Rudy are nice, and Outlaw is a nice energy player off the bench, but is it worth Thad? Sergio and Rudy are not game changers like a deal that would net you Bosh or Amare. It would be interesting to see them pull the trigger on something like this, but I'm not sure what the overall plan is if they are moving Thad this soon. He seems to have a much greater upside that any other player involved.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#409 » by Spykes » Sat Feb 7, 2009 8:23 pm

TheRevTy wrote:A Spanish news site is reporting the Magic turned down a deal of Blake/Rodriguez/Frye for Turkoglu/Johnson.

That's the same deal that Chad Ford created on ESPN. My guess is the Spanish news site just took it and ran it as a real trade rumor.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#410 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:00 pm

freshie2 wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:Interesting...

I'd be happy with:

Sergio/Ivey
Rudy/LouWill
Iggy/Outlaw
Dalembert

I honestly would be shocked if the Sixers moved Thad in any deal that doesn't bring back a star quality player, and I don't know that this deal accomplishes that. Sergio and Rudy are nice, and Outlaw is a nice energy player off the bench, but is it worth Thad? Sergio and Rudy are not game changers like a deal that would net you Bosh or Amare. It would be interesting to see them pull the trigger on something like this, but I'm not sure what the overall plan is if they are moving Thad this soon. He seems to have a much greater upside that any other player involved.

he may have a bigger upside, but it's also unlikely he'd reach it with Iggy occupying the SF position while Brand and Spreights occupy PF.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#411 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:19 pm

D69 & Spykes have gone through extensive evaluations of which team fit Quick's description.

The one thing Quick said that may be the biggest clue is about the other team just recently adding some 'sweetener' to the deal that would turn it into that "contender" trade status. The team just recently had decided to "change direction".

That's kind of why I don't think it's the Bulls. Nocioni would have always been available, and the only thing that's happened with Deng lately is that he's been playing better. And it's been clear from the beginning of the season that Chicago needed a new direction

One team that may fit the description however, are the 76ers. I'm certain KP has had discussions about Andre Miller. KP has dealt with the Philly FO recently when Portland bought the 76ers' pick that they used on Kaponen.

And it's fairly well known that the 76ers are just recently giving up on the idea of Iggy playing a SG. he's going to be a SF, and the 76ers are commited to him long term now. That would make it very possible that they've decided to shop Thaddeus Young. Add that to the fact that Philly is having a disppointing season considering where their expectaions were to begin with.

Then add in the fact that their biggest weakness may be 3pt shooting.

well, with all that said, a trade of Lafrentz, Rudy, & Sergio for Miller and Young meets all the 'specifications' that Quick laid out, and actually makes sense for both teams.

I'm sure some portland fans would go ballistic if portland traded away the spanish connection, and portland might miss Rudy's 3pt shooting, but the Blazers would also gain in this trade...Young is a pretty good player. And portland would still preserve it's cap space plan.

so...would any blazer fan be in favor of that trade?

I'm thinking that I would. I don't know about Philly though. And KP does like his spanish boys.
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#412 » by Jsun947 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 10:01 pm

If Prichard makes a trade it should be a definate upgrade... I havn't watched a lot of Thad play this year but I don't believe hes a definite upgrade over Martell or Outlaw...

I like Miller but then you have to think about the fact if he leaves we basically traded Sergio and Rudy for Thad which to me is not a good idea...
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#413 » by Spykes » Sat Feb 7, 2009 10:06 pm

I've seen a decent amount of Thad Young this year too, overall, nothing to really get overly excited over imo. He's a fine young player and all, but I wouldn't go as crazy over him as Sixer fans do.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#414 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Feb 7, 2009 10:15 pm

Jsun947 wrote:If Prichard makes a trade it should be a definate upgrade... I havn't watched a lot of Thad play this year but I don't believe hes a definite upgrade over Martell or Outlaw...

I like Miller but then you have to think about the fact if he leaves we basically traded Sergio and Rudy for Thad which to me is not a good idea...

oh, he's an upgrade over Webster at SF and since outlaw doesn't play well at SF well, Young would definitely be an upgrade at SF overall.

essentially, this would be a Rudy for Young deal. Portland would trade sergio for 30 some games of Miller + hopefully the playoffs.

Young would be a long-term starter at SF.

if you're real optimistic about Rudy and Batum, then this probably wouldn't be a great trade.
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#415 » by Jsun947 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 10:23 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Jsun947 wrote:If Prichard makes a trade it should be a definate upgrade... I havn't watched a lot of Thad play this year but I don't believe hes a definite upgrade over Martell or Outlaw...

oh, he's an upgrade over Webster at SF and since outlaw doesn't play well at SF well, Young would definitely be an upgrade at SF overall.

essentially, this would be a Rudy for Young deal. Portland would trade sergio for 30 some games of Miller + hopefully the playoffs.

if you're real optimistic about Rudy and Batum, then this probably wouldn't be a great trade.

I see people on the 76s board complaining about a lot of the things we complain about travis.

He gets lost on defense.
Hes too slow on defense.
His shot is streaky.
His handles are very suspect.
etc.

How can you say Thad is an upgrade over Webster? Based off of what information?
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#416 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Feb 7, 2009 10:35 pm

Jsun947 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

I see people on the 76s board complaining about a lot of the things we complain about travis.

He gets lost on defense.
Hes too slow on defense.
His shot is streaky.
His handles are very suspect.
etc.

How can you say Thad is an upgrade over Webster? Based off of what information?

watching him play
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#417 » by Spykes » Sat Feb 7, 2009 10:54 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:D69 & Spykes have gone through extensive evaluations of which team fit Quick's description.

The one thing Quick said that may be the biggest clue is about the other team just recently adding some 'sweetener' to the deal that would turn it into that "contender" trade status. The team just recently had decided to "change direction".

That's kind of why I don't think it's the Bulls. Nocioni would have always been available, and the only thing that's happened with Deng lately is that he's been playing better. And it's been clear from the beginning of the season that Chicago needed a new direction

That is a good point.

One team that definitely fits in with recently deciding to 'change direction' would be the Bucks. They obviously had one direction at the start of the season (to get vets and make the playoffs), but now with all their injuries, have a totally new direction (cut salary, tank the season and rebuild).

Jefferson, Sessions and Elson for Raef, Outlaw and Sergio would be a nice move. Maybe RJ and Bell for Raef, Frye and Sergio... I donno.
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#418 » by soobias » Sat Feb 7, 2009 10:56 pm

rudy wont go anywhere. paul allen and kp spent too much time with him last summer convincing him to come over for less money.(nate will go before rudy goes) remember nba is big business and rudy is still very popular in europe and all over the east coast. why do you think he was picked for the slam dunk contest.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,872

Post#419 » by Norm2953 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 11:22 pm

I'm of the opinion that the constant harping of rumored trade is harming the
team that is immature to begin with. Either make the trade or stop thinking
about a trade if we wish to compete for a playoff spot.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#420 » by europa » Sun Feb 8, 2009 3:55 pm

Spykes wrote:One team that definitely fits in with recently deciding to 'change direction' would be the Bucks. They obviously had one direction at the start of the season (to get vets and make the playoffs), but now with all their injuries, have a totally new direction (cut salary, tank the season and rebuild).

Jefferson, Sessions and Elson for Raef, Outlaw and Sergio would be a nice move. Maybe RJ and Bell for Raef, Frye and Sergio... I donno.

Bucks fan - the latter makes more sense for the Bucks. Based on the number of reports we've gotten in the past week or so, it looks like moving Jefferson has become a priority for the Bucks. Given the injury to Ridnour and more importantly how good Sessions has played when he's been a starting PG (he was absolutely sick last night against the Pistons), I don't think it's in the Bucks' best interests to include him in any deal with RJ unless the return is significant in terms of player value.

I think RJ to Portland makes a ton of sense for both teams (I also think RJ to the Lakers for Odom is something both teams would consider as well). I could go for something along the lines of:

RJ/Damon Jones/Malik Allen for Raef/Outlaw/Sergio

If the Blazers didn't want to part with Outlaw then perhaps something like:

RJ/Bell for Raef/Webster
Nothing will not break me.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers