Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Re: Sergio to the Knicks. 

Post#61 » by Spykes » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:08 pm

Oden2 wrote:
method wrote:Look what the Pistons are doing there giving up there first rounder to a team under the cap to take Amirs contrct.

I believe the same is happening here.

Well with due respect, Amir's contract is about twice the size of Sergio's and Sergio has the potential to be quite a player in D'Antoni's system.

I think you missed the point of his post. He's just saying that these type of deals happen a lot with teams who are looking to make a FA push. They want to maximize their potential cap space and do so by getting rid of non-essential assets.
Maritimer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 78

Post#62 » by Maritimer » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:11 pm

I'm interested, as an outsider to see what happens here. A few things that need to be clarified...

1) Free agents can't discuss new contracts until July. If this is a draft night trade, then neither Lee nor Robinson will be involved. If this turns into a part of a S&T in July, then the Knicks are making their own pick and hoping that Portland wants the right to that player once they can actually talk about a deal.

2) To the poster who asked how much the Knicks' TPE is worth, it doesn't matter to you for a couple reasons. First, whether they have a TPE worth $2M or $14M, you only get a TPE back worth Sergio's contract. Second, if the move is to create cap space, then you'll immediately renounce the TPE since it counts against the cap just as Sergio's contract would.

3) To the posters who said trades can't happen now, you're also incorrect. Toronto (miraculously) traded Rafael Araujo for Kris Humphries during the playoffs a few years ago. The only players that can't be traded right now are those that could potentially be free agents this offseason (ie -- those that are expiring or have options for next year).

Basically, if they've already agreed to a draft night trade, it's gotta be players who are on the books for next year (Sergio would count since his team option can be picked up pre-trade if it hasn't already) or draft picks that teams have now. The only reasons (I think) to wait until draft night and NOT make the trade now is because the Knicks are making a trade that would leave them without a first round pick this year, or because the trade is conditional on particular players being available at a certain spot.
On LeBron not committing fouls:
Marvin! wrote:He also doesn't poo... his body transforms food into flower seeds, which he then sends to poor inner city neighborhoods and distributes free of charge. Let us all give thanks and praise him!
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#63 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:11 pm

Spykes wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
method wrote:Look what the Pistons are doing there giving up there first rounder to a team under the cap to take Amirs contrct.

I believe the same is happening here.

Well with due respect, Amir's contract is about twice the size of Sergio's and Sergio has the potential to be quite a player in D'Antoni's system.

I think you missed the point of his post. He's just saying that these type of deals happen a lot with teams who are looking to make a FA push. They want to maximize their potential cap space and do so by getting rid of non-essential assets.

Hmm, in that case I suppose he makes a fair point, though I'm not sold on the idea that we use our draft picks to get rid of Sergio. I'd imagine we'd trade them for future first rounders in the most realistic scenario.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#64 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:13 pm

some things need to be corrected in the statements made so far

) this deal can't wait till July, it has to be done before. The reason is that Sergio's current salary is 872,000 and in July it jumps to over 1.5 million. The Knicks have TPE's sufficient to absorb Sergio's current salary, but not enough to absorb next season's salary.

) moving Sergio off the books won't free up 1.56 million in cap-space, it will only gain 1.1 million as Sergio's absence would mandate the need for a 460,000 roster charge because Portland would be 1 player further under 12 roster spots.

) why on draft day? that's a puzzler really. There's no reason for it unless the entire trade is contingent on a certain player being available when a draft selection is made. This would seem to indicate that either the 8th or 24th picks are involved, or both. I can't imagine that this deal would be contingent on anybody being available at the 32nd or 38th picks. I also have a hard time picturing the Knicks turning lose of the 8th pick unless D'antoni is totally in love with Sergio's game and is pushing Walsh real hard to land him. Sergio + rights to Kaponen + 24th + 38th + 2010 1st for the 8th might be palatable for NY in that case and it's would actually gibe portland an extra million in cap-space.

It could also be that Portland is moving both Sergio and the 24th to NY for a future 1st round pick with some limited protection. Moving both of those assets would create 2 million more in cap-space for this summer

And this was a Spanish media outlet reporting this. If it's true, they very well could only have one small part of the picture. It's possible that there are more then 2 teams involved, and that other picks then Portland's and NY's are part of the deal.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Spykes » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:14 pm

AZ BLAZER wrote:Listen, Sergio is only slotted to make about $850,000 next season. Far less than Amir. And if I am correct, Amir is still with the Pistons. Obviously Amir is overpaid. Otherwise he would be traded by now if the Pistons really are giving away a first rounder. Portland is not giving picks away to move Sergio. Now Portland might move a couple of their late seconds this season for a couple future seconds. Nobody is raping KP.

Apparently 2 people missed the point of his post...

I still don't understand where all this talk about Portland giving away picks to move Sergio is coming from. The only report that's been out is Sergio being moved for a TPE, nothing else. I could see Portland adding their real late 2nd round picks to the deal, maybe with the Knicks sending a 2010 2nd round pick Portland's way. KP likes to stockpile future 2nd rounders, so that wouldn't be surprising.

I do believe Portland will be looking to dump their 1st round pick, but I don't see it having anything to do with this Sergio deal.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#66 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:17 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Hmm, in that case I suppose he makes a fair point, though I'm not sold on the idea that we use our draft picks to get rid of Sergio. I'd imagine we'd trade them for future first rounders in the most realistic scenario.

well...if that happens, then it's because KP screwed up. He didn't have to pick up the 4th year of Sergio's contract last summer. I thought it was a mistake at the time and said as much. So, a 2nd round pick could be the price of KP's misjudgment of Sergio's value.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#67 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:22 pm

AZ BLAZER wrote:
Listen, Sergio is only slotted to make about $850,000 next season. Far less than Amir. And if I am correct, Amir is still with the Pistons. Obviously Amir is overpaid. Otherwise he would be traded by now if the Pistons really are giving away a first rounder. Portland is not giving picks away to move Sergio. Now Portland might move a couple of their late seconds this season for a couple future seconds. Nobody is raping KP.

that's incorrect...Sergio will make around 1.56 million next season. He will get a raise that will put his salary at 180% of this year's value
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#68 » by d-train » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:25 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:) why on draft day? that's a puzzler really. There's no reason for it unless the entire trade is contingent on a certain player being available when a draft selection is made. This would seem to indicate that either the 8th or 24th picks are involved, or both. I can't imagine that this deal would be contingent on anybody being available at the 32nd or 38th picks. I also have a hard time picturing the Knicks turning lose of the 8th pick unless D'antoni is totally in love with Sergio's game and is pushing Walsh real hard to land him. Sergio + rights to Kaponen + 24th + 38th + 2010 1st for the 8th might be palatable for NY in that case and it's would actually gibe portland an extra million in cap-space.

It could also be that Portland is moving both Sergio and the 24th to NY for a future 1st round pick with some limited protection. Moving both of those assets would create 2 million more in cap-space for this summer

It could also be that Portland is trading the 24th and Sergio to NY for a 2nd round pick and they don't want to do it until after the draft. If Blazers do the trade before the draft, they would be restricted from trading their 2010 pick.

But, more likely, the story is BS because most of these stories are.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Spykes » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:28 pm

d-train wrote:It could also be that Portland is trading the 24th and Sergio to NY for a 2nd round pick and they don't want to do it until after the draft. If Blazers do the trade before the draft, they would be restricted from trading their 2010 pick.

Are you questioning the reliability of a European Beer Turd prediction?
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,111

Post#70 » by Effigy » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:30 pm

Look, the 24th pick doesn't have a lot of value even in a good draft, which this is not. In this draft it's the equivilant of a 2nd rounder that you have to give a guaranteed contract to. I don't think we'll have to throw that pick in, largely because then that salary counts against the Knicks next year in 2010. I think it's more likely they move the 8 pick to have more room next year than take on the 24th and have less. But even if we did have to throw it in, so what? It would clear more money for us because we wouldn't have to pay the guy, and whoever we take with that pick likely won't be any good. Stop acting like every late draft pick is gold. I know KP has a good track record, but it's more likely that we get a non-impact player who won't get any PT and won't do anything besides hinder our cap space than it is we find a good player at 24.
AZ BLAZER
Starter
And1: 0

Post#71 » by AZ BLAZER » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:31 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
AZ BLAZER wrote:
Listen, Sergio is only slotted to make about $850,000 next season. Far less than Amir. And if I am correct, Amir is still with the Pistons. Obviously Amir is overpaid. Otherwise he would be traded by now if the Pistons really are giving away a first rounder. Portland is not giving picks away to move Sergio. Now Portland might move a couple of their late seconds this season for a couple future seconds. Nobody is raping KP.

that's incorrect...Sergio will make around 1.56 million next season. He will get a raise that will put his salary at 180% of this year's value

But the trade is reported as a draft night deal. That means this years salary will be used for matching purposes as next year does not begin until July 1. This years salary is in the $850,000 range, correct?
ph1sh55
Senior

Post#72 » by ph1sh55 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:32 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:It could also be that Portland is trading the 24th and Sergio to NY for a 2nd round pick and they don't want to do it until after the draft. If Blazers do the trade before the draft, they would be restricted from trading their 2010 pick.

I think Portland needs more 2nd round picks like they need a hole in the head...
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Spykes » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:32 pm

So if anyone hasn't got a chance to check out the Knicks board conversation about this yet, I'd highly suggest giving pages 10-15 out for a great laugh. A couple of Knick fans are getting into the most heated exchange over Sergio Rodriguez ever. Profanity and insults start getting thrown a few posts in. It's a great laugh.
d-train
RealGM

Post#74 » by d-train » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:33 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

well...if that happens, then it's because KP screwed up. He didn't have to pick up the 4th year of Sergio's contract last summer. I thought it was a mistake at the time and said as much. So, a 2nd round pick could be the price of KP's misjudgment of Sergio's value.

Well, if you called the extension a bad move at the time it was made, that makes you right and KP wrong but that doesn't really make it a mistake. It's more like a payment for a longer look at Sergio. The Webster signing could be a mistake if the Blazers have to waive Blake or Outlaw because of it. And, even that probably can't be counted as a huge mistake considering all the variables he was dealing with.
AZ BLAZER
Starter

Post#75 » by AZ BLAZER » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:35 pm

Spykes wrote:
AZ BLAZER wrote:Listen, Sergio is only slotted to make about $850,000 next season. Far less than Amir. And if I am correct, Amir is still with the Pistons. Obviously Amir is overpaid. Otherwise he would be traded by now if the Pistons really are giving away a first rounder. Portland is not giving picks away to move Sergio. Now Portland might move a couple of their late seconds this season for a couple future seconds. Nobody is raping KP.

Apparently 2 people missed the point of his post...

I still don't understand where all this talk about Portland giving away picks to move Sergio is coming from. The only report that's been out is Sergio being moved for a TPE, nothing else. I could see Portland adding their real late 2nd round picks to the deal, maybe with the Knicks sending a 2010 2nd round pick Portland's way. KP likes to stockpile future 2nd rounders, so that wouldn't be surprising.

I do believe Portland will be looking to dump their 1st round pick, but I don't see it having anything to do with this Sergio deal.

It is coming from Knicks fans telling us that that will be the cost of taking on sergio and giving us the TPE.

Also, where are you getting it that Portland is getting a TPE? The article only says that Sergio will be traded to the Knicks, correct?
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#76 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:36 pm

AZ BLAZER wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
AZ BLAZER wrote:

But the trade is reported as a draft night deal. That means this years salary will be used for matching purposes as next year does not begin until July 1. This years salary is in the $850,000 range, correct?

yes, that's close for this year's salary...870,000 actually, but you said it was next year's salary, which is not the case.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#77 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:40 pm

d-train wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

Well, if you called the extension a bad move at the time it was made, that makes you right and KP wrong but that doesn't really make it a mistake. It's more like a payment for a longer look at Sergio. The Webster signing could be a mistake if the Blazers have to waive Blake or Outlaw because of it. And, even that probably can't be counted as a huge mistake considering all the variables he was dealing with.

I wasn't counting it as a 'huge' mistake, just a mistake...and if all it cost was a 2nd round pick to correct the mistake, then it's not one to worry too much about.

Besides, at that time KP was thinking that Miles was done and that Sergio's cap-hit was insignificant by comparison.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Spykes » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:44 pm

AZ BLAZER wrote:It is coming from Knicks fans telling us that that will be the cost of taking on sergio and giving us the TPE.

Also, where are you getting it that Portland is getting a TPE? The article only says that Sergio will be traded to the Knicks, correct?

Knick fans are just being Knick fans. Expecting to get more than what's being reported. Nothing new there.

As for your 2nd question, how else are the Knicks getting Sergio for nothing? They aren't under the cap and they do have a TPE big enough to acquire Sergio from when they traded Balkman to Denver. It's just simple logic that Portland will be getting a TPE out of the deal. It's the only way the deal can happen as it's been reported.

Although, I just re-read the Eurosport article and all it says is that the Knicks are acquiring Sergio in a draft day deal, so I suppose assuming the deal is Sergio for the TPE is a bit premature, but certainly FAR from unrealistic. Sergio just doesn't have much value, the Blazers want as much cap space as possible and they want minutes for Bayless. Getting Sergio off the books for this summer makes great financial sense for the Blazers.
d-train
RealGM

Post#79 » by d-train » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:45 pm

Spykes wrote:
d-train wrote:It could also be that Portland is trading the 24th and Sergio to NY for a 2nd round pick and they don't want to do it until after the draft. If Blazers do the trade before the draft, they would be restricted from trading their 2010 pick.

Are you questioning the reliability of a European Beer Turd prediction?

A predictive beer turd is made from Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. I don't think you can get that in Europe. I have tried other formulas but Hop Stoopid is the only proven recipe.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,539

Post#80 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:58 pm

Blazinaway wrote:What are U talking about, deals CAN be made now thought it's unusual.

That would be unfair to Finals teams. Other teams can trade players, but Finals teams can't because they're kinda using them right now.. in the Finals...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers