ImageImage

Sergio to the Knicks.

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,142

Re: Sergio to the Knicks. 

Post#81 » by cucad8 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm sure the Finals teams aren't too worried, since they're still playing.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#82 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jun 8, 2009 7:16 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:well...if that happens, then it's because KP screwed up. He didn't have to pick up the 4th year of Sergio's contract last summer. I thought it was a mistake at the time and said as much. So, a 2nd round pick could be the price of KP's misjudgment of Sergio's value.

Well in hindsight it may have been a mistake, but at the time, the fact that his contract won't play any role in NY's future plans shouldn't hurt his value much. the Knicks don't have cap space this off season anyways so I can't see Sergio's contract being much of a problem considering that NY is a financially sound organizaion. That said, NY will most likely try to maximize their value here, but I don't think Sergio's value is as negative as some make it out to be.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#83 » by d-train » Mon Jun 8, 2009 7:18 pm

Spykes wrote:Although, I just re-read the Eurosport article and all it says is that the Knicks are acquiring Sergio in a draft day deal, so I suppose assuming the deal is Sergio for the TPE is a bit premature, but certainly FAR from unrealistic. Sergio just doesn't have much value, the Blazers want as much cap space as possible and they want minutes for Bayless. Getting Sergio off the books for this summer makes great financial sense for the Blazers.

If Sergio has enough value that a team is willing to take his contract without other compensation, then a $1 buyout is probably better than a TPE since the TPE would have to be renounced for cap space. A $1 buyout would give Sergio the chance to market himself as an UFA, which would be of great value to Sergio if his talent has market value. A trade only makes sense if Sergio's value is lower than his contract and he refuses a buyout or his value is greater than his contract and can be traded for future assets greater than just a worthless TPE. If his value is lower than his salary, a draft pick can be used to enhance Sergio's value. Or, if Sergio’s value is higher, a trade might be necessary to enhance the 24th pick if its value is low.
Knicksick
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#84 » by Knicksick » Mon Jun 8, 2009 7:22 pm

I think Portland fans totally overrate Sergio's trade value----his "potentially decent PG tag" is long gone. What do you think the Knicks are going to give up for a 3rd string PG that actually is a bad shooter and a worse defender?If it was up to me I wouldn't trade for him at all--leave alone giving up something of value.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#85 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jun 8, 2009 7:28 pm

Knicksick wrote:I think Portland fans totally overrate Sergio's trade value----his "potentially decent PG tag" is long gone. What do you think the Knicks are going to give up for a 3rd string PG that actually is a bad shooter and a worse defender?If it was up to me I wouldn't trade for him at all--leave alone giving up something of value.

Say that now, but I guarantee you that if in fact he is traded to the Knicks, you (or one of your counterparts) will create a spam thread on the Blazer board telling us how stupid we were to give you Sergio.
d-train
RealGM

Post#86 » by d-train » Mon Jun 8, 2009 7:32 pm

Knicksick wrote:I think Portland fans totally overrate Sergio's trade value----his "potentially decent PG tag" is long gone. What do you think the Knicks are going to give up for a 3rd string PG that actually is a bad shooter and a worse defender?If it was up to me I wouldn't trade for him at all--leave alone giving up something of value.

He only has value if someone wants him. If Knicks want him, than chances are other teams want him as well. If he were only a 3rd string PG as you say, then no team would want him.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,822

Post#87 » by Fitz303 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 8:04 pm

The fact that they cant trade their 8th pick before the draft does make this a little bit more intriguing. Obviously, if their 8th pick were involved, it would be a bigger deal then just Sergio. While I doubt that it happens, it does seem very possible. Im happy just to be rid of Sergio, but if we moved Sergio, Webster, Blake, and the 24th pick for Jefferies' ridiculous contract, Crawford and the 8th pick, I would be ecstatic.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#88 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jun 8, 2009 8:31 pm

I'm getting vibes of that Carney Brand deal from this, except in a Hinrich deal.

Hinrich's contract is 9.5 mil. Portland's payroll is about 49.9 mil next year, though Blake and Outlaw are unguaranteed. Portland taking Hinrich straight up will put them at about 59.4 mil, which is a couple million over the cap. Dumping Sergio cuts 1.5 mil and brings them down to 57.9 mil. That might be a couple hundred k over the cap, but with Balkman's 1.3 mil TPE that'll seal it.

Sergio for Hinrich straight up wouldn't have worked, I think, as the Blazers payroll would be 58.8 mil, probably a bit over. Plus Chicago may just prefer that 1.5 extra mil than Sergio.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#89 » by Malapropism » Mon Jun 8, 2009 8:42 pm

PacificBlazer
Starter
And1: 128

Post#90 » by PacificBlazer » Mon Jun 8, 2009 8:58 pm

A good fit for the Knicks, if the rumor is true.

Either way its going to be an active summer for KP :wink:
Oh hi Realgm
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#91 » by magnumt » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:06 pm

Malapropism wrote:http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2009/06/srod_rumor_emerges_from_spain.html

False rumor?

What do you expect the GMs of the two Teams to do, acknowledge the Trade? :lol:

Also, Hahn gets his info at the 11th Hour, and it's been a VERY long time he has broken a story (VERY long). If it happens we'll find out on Draft Night or in the Off-Season.
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
d-train
RealGM

Post#92 » by d-train » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:08 pm

Malapropism wrote:http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2009/06/srod_rumor_emerges_from_spain.html

Is it a false rumor?

Odds are the Yahoo story is false. But, other than playing the odds this story is probably more baseless then the Yahoo story. The phone calls the author made were probably to Dionne Warwick.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#93 » by Billy » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:08 pm

Tommy Dee just posted a new entry on theKnicksBlog. Says it's possible but unlikely that Sergio has/will be traded for the 8th pick.

http://www.theknicksblog.com/

The only thing that stands out to me is the agent quote. Although the suspect thing about the "quote" is the lack of actual quotations...

I can certainly see Sergio in NY, I just can't see it for anything as wonderful as we'd like to believe.
Knicksick
Banned User

Post#94 » by Knicksick » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:56 pm

hmmm....Blazer fans call knick fans dumb for overrating players etc. but at the same time hope for the 8th pick in a deal for Rodriguez?A player who after his third season has averages of 3points and 3 assists on atrocious field goal percentage?

The Blazers certainly have some nice talent but Sergio Rodriguez isn't even worth a late first round pick--let alone a top 10 pick.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#95 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:57 pm

Few tidbits.

- Its Sergio Rodriguez, why is the 8th pick even brought up as an idea?
- Spanish Rumors, ehh...
- Why has this been agreed to for about 20 Days, but only now has it broke?

I'm holding onto my shorts...
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Knicksick
Banned User

Post#96 » by Knicksick » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:57 pm

Actually if I had a 2nd round pick I rather just draft a potential player there and hope he pans out---because Sergio certainly hasn't ......
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,111

Post#97 » by Effigy » Mon Jun 8, 2009 10:02 pm

Knicksick wrote:Actually if I had a 2nd round pick I rather just draft a potential player there and hope he pans out---because Sergio certainly hasn't ......

Are you a high ranking official in the Knicks' organization? No? Huh. Guess your opinion is meaningless then.

I think it's just Sergio for the trade exception, and that deal is fine with me. Knicks and Blazers fans are just trying to add pieces to further fleace the other team. Typical, but unrealistic.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#98 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jun 8, 2009 10:20 pm

One thing that really intrigues me is that Sergio would be going from control freak Nate McMillian to laid back Mike D'Antoni. We all know that could mean a lot to a guy like Sergio, however since you clearly seen more of him then me I do have one question. Would Sergio settle for a bunch of three's?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
WetCoast
Junior

Post#99 » by WetCoast » Mon Jun 8, 2009 10:30 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:One thing that really intrigues me is that Sergio would be going from control freak Nate McMillian to laid back Mike D'Antoni. We all know that could mean a lot to a guy like Sergio, however since you clearly seen more of him then me I do have one question. Would Sergio settle for a bunch of three's?

Sergio would instantly be the best passer on the Knick's. He would be more about setting up teammates for 3's, pick and rolls and fast breaks then shooting himself. I think his shooting would benefit in a running offense cause he's in more of a rhythm.
old rem wrote:Roy is good but ..get serious. Ellis is about even and may be better before long.

Ticket_Stub wrote:Roy, Portland can only get better unless they get worse.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#100 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jun 8, 2009 10:32 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:One thing that really intrigues me is that Sergio would be going from control freak Nate McMillian to laid back Mike D'Antoni. We all know that could mean a lot to a guy like Sergio, however since you clearly seen more of him then me I do have one question. Would Sergio settle for a bunch of three's?

He's resorted to the three too often, but then again, that could be the direct result of Nate McMillan's offense which tends to be unkind to certain players. Sergio showed the ability to drive to the rim on occasion and I think he may have potential there, but that said, he does tend to shoot the three a bit too much nonetheless. The good thing about Sergio is that he's a pass first PG willing to share the ball with his teammates. It seems like Nate was trying to make him a bit more of a shooter, which didn't work too well due to his inability to hit shots consistently, but what he always did bring was the ability to play make. That said, it's very easy for opponents to key in on him defensively as his shooting isn't great. If, however, he can ever learn to start hitting his shots and finish better at the rim, he can be quite a player, but that's a bit if.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers