ImageImage

Quick on The Fan 7.6.09 (Wallace) Update: Andre Miller

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Quick on The Fan 7.6.09 (Wallace) Update: Andre Miller 

Post#1 » by TBpup » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:36 pm

Quick: It's clear he backed out because of his wife. Toronto is a very multi-cultural city and she felt they would be more comfortable there. They both have a lot of Turkish ties and Toronto was more appealing. She was well aware of Toronto, the team and the difference in talent.

Portland is not high on single players lists to play either. Being married, I thought Hedo might be different but the foreign influence was too great. Toronto is the fourth largetst city in North America and KP could kind of see this coming in how Toronto and Brian Colangelo was going to play it....lay in the weeds, lay in the weeds, and then come in late.

Listening to what his agent said, Hedo did make the Blazers a promise. Hedo was convinced Portland was the best option in term of quality of team and amount of money. It came down to his wife.

The Blazers are not upset but stung but they are ready to move on and it might be a blessing in disguise and they may be on to something better. They have turned their attention to Gerald Wallace. He is a no nonsense, business type of player. The Blazers need to get tougher, be better defensively and Wallace is all of that.

From one source, the Blazers have inquired about him. He had 3 years and $30+MM dollars left and it would have to be an unbalanced trade. This was talked about at the trade deadline but it broke down when Charlotte wanted Batum. It appears those talks have started up again.

I don't think David Lee is much of an option. I talked to his agent and basically went round and round as to how serious those inquiries are.

Wallace adressed the problems Portland has more than Hedo. Turkoglu was a below average defensive player and their perimeter defense is a big problem. Wallace is also a slasher that balances out all the Blazer jumpshooting. He is a physical beast. Charlotte would give him up because they could save some money. It would take something like Nicolas Batum and Travis or maybe Bayless and I don't know if the Blazers would do that. Batum was the reason they didn't go through with it at the deadline.

I don't know if Charlotte is in that mode (cost savings) and he is clearly one of their better players. Kevin feels like this is the time he has to make a move since they won't be under the cap again anytime soon.

Agents around the league are puzzled with Portland might do next. They don't see David Lee working out and don't see Lamar Odom fitting the culture. LaMarcus Aldridge is not too fond of Lamar Odom but he is the most high profile FA out there for the Blazers.

:starwars
@TBpup22
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Re: Quick on The Fan 7.6.09 (Gerald Wallace) 

Post#2 » by Agenda42 » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:39 pm

Gerald Wallace is a wonderful get if we can get it done. I am pretty dubious that a deal can be struck there though.
Allright
Junior
And1: 18

Post#3 » by Allright » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:40 pm

I would LOVE to see Gerald Wallace in a Blazers' jersey! Hope Charlotte is not asking too much for him but his D is superior as the average and would be an excellent mentor for Batum as well!
Swiss Blazer fan since 92.
First trip to Portland: February 2010.
Next trip to Portland: (?)

*** Sorry for my english. Trying to improve ***
RipCity7
Junior
And1: 12

Post#4 » by RipCity7 » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:44 pm

do it..... do it....... screw Hedo if this happens.. Wallace>>>>Hedo
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#5 » by Telfaire » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:46 pm

Let the games begin! I say Outlaw and TPE to Atlanta, Smith to Charlotte and we land Crash. LB would love Smith and combining him with Diaw and Okafor. Hawks get further under the cap.
b_roy7
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#6 » by b_roy7 » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:47 pm

G-Wall <3
b_roy7
Veteran

Post#7 » by b_roy7 » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:48 pm

Telfaire wrote:Let the games begin! I say Outlaw and TPE to Atlanta, Smith to Charlotte and we land Crash. LB would love Smith and combining him with Diaw and Okafor. Hawks get further under the cap.

You can't add TPE with a player in a trade, you would have to trade the TPE straight up for a player.
Telfaire
Analyst

Post#8 » by Telfaire » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:49 pm

b_roy7 wrote:
Telfaire wrote:Let the games begin! I say Outlaw and TPE to Atlanta, Smith to Charlotte and we land Crash. LB would love Smith and combining him with Diaw and Okafor. Hawks get further under the cap.

You can't add TPE with a player in a trade, you would have to trade the TPE straight up for a player.

The TPE would be created because wer'e under the cap. Hawks trade Smith for Outlaw >>> get a 4+ million TPE.
AZ BLAZER
Starter

Post#9 » by AZ BLAZER » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:51 pm

What makes you think ATL would trade Smith?
Telfaire
Analyst

Post#10 » by Telfaire » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:52 pm

So...would KP trade Batum straight up for Crash? As I understood it, the refused deadline deal was Raef, Batum and Outlaw for Crash AND Nazi.

Wallace/Webster is a bit of an injury risk...but a great tandem. Then trade either Outlaw by himself for Maxiell, or Blake and Outlaw for Hirnich/Miller.
sketchturntable
Junior

Post#11 » by sketchturntable » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:53 pm

DO NOT WANT to give up Batum right now unless we are getting a can't-refuse offer.
Telfaire
Analyst

Post#12 » by Telfaire » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:53 pm

AZ BLAZER wrote:

What makes you think ATL would trade Smith?

Cause he was rumored to be on the block, right before the draft. But for a better package I guess, so forget this proposal, it's garbage.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 129

Post#13 » by Butter » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:55 pm

Telfaire wrote:So...would KP trade Batum straight up for Crash? As I understood it, the refused deadline deal was Raef, Batum and Outlaw for Crash AND Nazi.

Wallace/Webster is a bit of an injury risk...but a great tandem. Then trade either Outlaw by himself for Maxiell, or Blake and Outlaw for Hirnich/Miller.

I don't think you could have a starting five with both Wallace and Miller.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,824

Post#14 » by Fitz303 » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:56 pm

Get Wallace WITHOUT giving up Batum or Bayless and I'll be a happy camper. Far more happy than if we had gotten Hedo
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 317

Post#15 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Jul 6, 2009 9:57 pm

If the cost to get Gerald Wallace is Outlaw ... of course.
Outlaw + Bayless? With Augustin and Felton already there? Hmmm. Maybe do it.
Outlaw + Webster? Yes, and they're getting good value buying low.
I haven't heard much about him (positive or negative) off the court or in the lockerroom ...

Batum included? No.
Rudy included? No.

Wallace is a beast. Age 27.
Since 2004, he's missed 12, 27, 10, 20, and 11 regular season games. Not horrible, but not the picture of healh.

The Turk-like player Charlotte also has is Boris Diaw.
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#16 » by Ripcity4life » Mon Jul 6, 2009 10:00 pm

I only include Bayless if Felton is involved he is not perfect but i believe he is pretty good on Defense but not sure since do not watch any cats games.

However i LOVE idea of Wallace and in a lot of ways better then Hedo
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#17 » by TBpup » Mon Jul 6, 2009 10:01 pm

DO NOT WANT to give up Batum right now unless we are getting a can't-refuse offer.

+1. Would include Bayless begrudgingly but not Batum. I still think Nicolas can play Point-Forward in time.

:starwars
@TBpup22
derriko
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#18 » by derriko » Mon Jul 6, 2009 10:02 pm

i would give up rudy to get him. rudy isn't a larry brown type of player but you have to give to get and from a non-homer standpoint thats pretty close imo
JustBlaze52
Senior
And1: 6

Post#19 » by JustBlaze52 » Mon Jul 6, 2009 10:02 pm

If Charlotte would pull an Outlaw/Webster for Wallace deal I'd do it in a half second. Wallace would fit just as well or better than Hedo would have. That should still leave us with enough cap room to sign a backup PF as well. Pull it off KP, as long as we don't have to trade Batum or Rudy.
The NBA, where 5 on 8 happens.
BBen
Starter

Post#20 » by BBen » Mon Jul 6, 2009 10:03 pm

I'd trade either Batum or Rudy for Wallace (and I'm a fan of both). With Wallace we have a third bona fide star and with Oden at full health we may have 4. Crash is just an absolute stud on both ends of the floor. I cannot imagine Charlotte letting this guy go though.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers