Extending Oden and/or Przybilla?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Extending Oden and/or Przybilla? 

Post#21 » by d-train » Fri Feb 5, 2010 11:49 pm

Agenda42 wrote:
d-train wrote:The only change that should be made to the CBA is the artificial cap placed on the market value of player talent should be removed. It is an unnecessary financial gift to owners that unjustly inflates the value of their franchises.

The salary cap protects the quality of the product.

Sorry, that is a crock of shite. The salary cap makes owners richer by reducing the cost of the product they are selling. If the goal is to make players better and paying them less money helps achieve that goal (BS alert), then I suggest the money that is skimmed from players be used to help cities pay for stadiums rather than allowing owners to keep unearned profits.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,857

Post#22 » by Norm2953 » Sat Feb 6, 2010 12:03 am

Portland had better think about extending Oden for with a hard salary cap perhaps
spurring on a lockout in 2011, regardless of what comes out at the end, salaries are
going to be coming down. The journeyman types of players like JP and perhaps
Brendan Haywood are going too take a hit for the superstar types are going to be
paid and teams will fill in with guys on their rookie contracts which is similar to what
the NFL has seen. Extending Oden in 2010 to a fair extension would be advisable
unless they don't view him as a critical piece of their future.
blazers73
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#23 » by blazers73 » Sat Feb 6, 2010 3:30 am

Talking about hard cap and less revenue for players, looks like the owners have spoken.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... o_players/

As a matter of fact, the value of basketball talent in the entire equation is so overwhelming it is believed that an artificial cap must be placed on the amount of money that can be paid to players or else the NBA would spend itself into oblivion

That isn't the reason for the artificial cap, as explained by Agenda 42. If you can't see that, I have nothing more to say about the matter.

I have a question. In your world, what percent should the players get? Why don't the talented resources in demand players simply start their own company and take that %?
d-train
RealGM

Post#24 » by d-train » Sat Feb 6, 2010 4:21 am

blazers73 wrote:Talking about hard cap and less revenue for players, looks like the owners have spoken.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... o_players/

As a matter of fact, the value of basketball talent in the entire equation is so overwhelming it is believed that an artificial cap must be placed on the amount of money that can be paid to players or else the NBA would spend itself into oblivion

That isn't the reason for the artificial cap, as explained by Agenda 42. If you can't see that, I have nothing more to say about the matter.

I have a question. In your world, what percent should the players get? Why don't the talented resources in demand players simply start their own company and take that %?

Wow, two excellent questions and both have obvious very simple answers. Players should get paid whatever amount of money an owner is willing to pay. And, the answer to your second question is the players should consider a players league. But, first I think the players should try disbanding the union and enforcing their legal rights to individually negotiate their salaries and benefits.
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#25 » by BballFanAddict » Sat Feb 6, 2010 5:20 am

about the only positive out of Oden's many set backs is that he will lack negotiation leverage in his first contract after his rookie one.

As far as I know, the most Oden could get paid is whatever another team was willing to offer once he becomes an un-restricted free-agent.

Oden will either exceed the benefit over the costs of his next contract very significantly or he will be paid a lot of money for being injured.
blazers73
Pro Prospect

Post#26 » by blazers73 » Sat Feb 6, 2010 5:56 am

Wow, two excellent questions and both have obvious very simple answers. Players should get paid whatever amount of money an owner is willing to pay. And, the answer to your second question is the players should consider a players league. But, first I think the players should try disbanding the union and enforcing their legal rights to individually negotiate their salaries and benefits

I'm all for players negotiating individually. But the union demands that players get 57% of the revenue per their arrangement. Are you saying disband the union and see what the market demands? And if they make a players league, how will they get the capital that is necessary for such a venture?
d-train
RealGM

Post#27 » by d-train » Sat Feb 6, 2010 6:04 am

blazers73 wrote:Are you saying disband the union and see what the market demands? And if they make a players league, how will they get the capital that is necessary for such a venture?

Yep, and I guaranty you the players would get over 60% of revenues if they negotiated without the constraints of the current CBA.

Edit: A new professional league would get capitalized like any other business from a combination of financing and wealthy investors. The biggest obstacle would be getting enough big name talent to get the league started. NBA players are under contract and a new league would only have a small pool of available players to bid on any given year. Most years would only have a couple big name talents available. It would take years of good management for a new league to overtake the NBA's pool of talent. Probably 2010 would be a good time for a new league to get started.
Pippen-33
Freshman

Post#28 » by Pippen-33 » Sat Feb 6, 2010 11:09 am

Consider that the last 2 no.1 pick centers to have lack luster starts to their career still got decent contract(Kwame=$9m, Kandi=$5M), I think Oden still gets atleast $10-$12m starting salary.

And frankly with the potential he has shown, I would sign him to a 3year deal worth around that. It gives him a large pay increase and also lets him earn a max deal at age 25.
blazers73
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by blazers73 » Sat Feb 6, 2010 2:28 pm

Edit: A new professional league would get capitalized like any other business from a combination of financing and wealthy investors. The biggest obstacle would be getting enough big name talent to get the league started. NBA players are under contract and a new league would only have a small pool of available players to bid on any given year. Most years would only have a couple big name talents available. It would take years of good management for a new league to overtake the NBA's pool of talent. Probably 2010 would be a good time for a new league to get started

So who would own the teams?
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#30 » by Sinobas » Sat Feb 6, 2010 3:29 pm

d-train wrote:You are the one making an incorrect assumption. I didn't forget about anyone getting a piece of the 43% when I labeled them no-talents. All the people doing the jobs you listed including the owners are the no-talents. The talent the NBA peddles is basketball. People buy tickets and related products because the talent of the players is a valuable commodity. As a matter of fact, the value of basketball talent in the entire equation is so overwhelming it is believed that an artificial cap must be placed on the amount of money that can be paid to players or else the NBA would spend itself into oblivion.

As to the financial condition of the NBA owners, the only way they can lose money is if they are incompetent and should lose money. Each owner is responsible for the business model that either makes a profit or generates a loss. And, the so-called losses only amount to paper losses from deferred earnings when they sell their franchises.

The only change that should be made to the CBA is the artificial cap placed on the market value of player talent should be removed. It is an unnecessary financial gift to owners that unjustly inflates the value of their franchises.

If half the teams are losing money, do those owners somehow owe it to the masses to be philanthropists, and continue to lose money to peddle "nba talent" out to the masses. And what is "nba talent", it's just entertainment, like movie actors. It's show business.

:roll: If you were producing a TV show with the funds from your own pocket, and the actors were demanding so much money that it would be nearly impossible to make a profit, and very likely that you'd be losing a lot of money, what would you do?

A. Pay them what they want, because they have the "talent"
B. Cancel your show
C. Try and negotiate a deal that would allow the show to continue without you losing money?
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#31 » by Sinobas » Sat Feb 6, 2010 3:32 pm

We need to keep in mind the threat of the hard cap. The Blazers have to be careful not burden themselves with too many contracts that would make them unable to resign a player they really need to keep, like Batum.

I think with Oden, this might be a great time to "buy low". Maybe he, being uncertain about his future, will agree to take some long term security. Joel, I think we should offer him a short modest contract. There's no telling how he'll come back from his injury with a ruptured tendon.
Bob loblaw
Junior

Post#32 » by Bob loblaw » Sat Feb 6, 2010 4:48 pm

There is zero reason to extend Pryz, his injury is really bad and he has a player option, which he will exercise because nobody will pay him more until they see if he can play next year. Oden extend if he can be extended at a reasonable price. As far as bachups go, wait until summer and see how the drft shakes out, or see if Joel Freeland is ready to come over next year and maybe become the full time backup in a couple of years.
As far as the new cba, I really doubt there will be a hard cap. The cap will be lower and the luxury tax will be higher, the owners are simply trying to lowball the players union. The NBA owners and players know there product can't survive another lockout, look at what happened to the NHL, the league has never recovered. NHL players ended up coming back after the strike for less money than the owners had on the table before the players went on strike. The owners and players will work something out.
blazers73
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by blazers73 » Sun Feb 7, 2010 5:37 am

The NBA owners and players know there product can't survive another lockout, look at what happened to the NHL, the league has never recovered. NHL players ended up coming back after the strike for less money than the owners had on the table before the players went on strike. The owners and players will work something out.

Reasonable people would indeed figure something out. But there are plenty of examples of reason being tossed aside. Just look at GM ( the car company). And I'm pretty sure the government won't take over the NBA.

In the end I really do see a decent chance of an NHL situation happening. 1 year sit out where the players don't make money and the owners continue to lose money. The players come back to the same deal that was on the table and the league is hurt for years to come. Not smart but I find there are a lot of people out there quite willing to cut off their own noses.

I don't like the idea of a hard cap. Hopefully they can keep the soft cap, reduce the maximum contracts, and have the players make 50% of revenues. Hopefully a majority of owners could make money with that and the players can still keep their comfortable lifestyles minus the Sprewell's of the NBA who can't seem to be able to feed their kids with 7 Million a year. :roll:
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#34 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Feb 7, 2010 5:59 am

Bob loblaw wrote:There is zero reason to extend Pryz, his injury is really bad and he has a player option, which he will exercise because nobody will pay him more until they see if he can play next year. Oden extend if he can be extended at a reasonable price. As far as bachups go, wait until summer and see how the drft shakes out, or see if Joel Freeland is ready to come over next year and maybe become the full time backup in a couple of years.
As far as the new cba, I really doubt there will be a hard cap. The cap will be lower and the luxury tax will be higher, the owners are simply trying to lowball the players union. The NBA owners and players know there product can't survive another lockout, look at what happened to the NHL, the league has never recovered. NHL players ended up coming back after the strike for less money than the owners had on the table before the players went on strike. The owners and players will work something out.

actually, what it may be is that the cap and the luxury tax threshold will be the same. It might start out a few million higher in the first season then drop down over 2 or 3 seasons.

And what also may happen is that the trade rules for teams over the cap may be more restrictive the further over the cap a team is. Also, it may be that the MLE will be reduced or even eliminated for teams over the cap.

It won't technically be a hard cap, but will be one on most practical levels

Return to Portland Trail Blazers