67%

Total votes: 3

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,548

Harrison Barnes Offseason Predictions 

Post#1 » by codydaze » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:07 pm

The Black Falcon has been great for us this year, both in his play as well as being the steady and professional vet presence needed in the locker room. He will be up for a new contract this summer, likely his last chance to get paid as he will be turning 31 this May. I, personally, would like Barnes to stick around with this team and I don't think I'm alone there. My question is what do you think his contract will be? Do you give him a 4 year deal? 2 years with higher annual salary?

Let's discuss.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Re: Harrison Barnes Offseason Predictions 

Post#2 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:19 pm

Long winded but here we go -

Man, if we can get him for an AAV of 15 or less as suggested in the polls, that would be absolutely insane.

Here is where I'm at, Spotrac has 11 teams (including the Kings) with 20+ million available in cap space. This may be low balling because I think other teams with player options can easily open up the cap space if those players leave.

Spurs - No
Houston - No
Pacers - Yes
Orlando - No
Pistons - Maybe?
Hornets -Maybe?
Thunder - Yes
Lakers - Yes (could chase Kyrie, or make a trade prior to the deadline that takes them out of the running)
Jazz - No
Wolves - Yes (but probably prioritize the point guard spot)

So we are going to have some competition for sure. What other players are free agents that can fill the same needs as Barnes?
Jerami Grant, Kuzma, Hart, Richardson, Crowder.. I'm probably stretching this list a bit as well. And of course Portland/Washington probably want to resign their main guys. If that happens then Barnes is probably the most sought after 3/4 on the market.

I see the Pacers/Thunder both really wanting a veteran like Barnes. Both younger teams that are overachieving. If the Lakers don't make a trade and Kyrie ends up sticking with Durant, they could easily be a threat to come in for Barnes.

That said, I think its going to take at least the contract we gave him last time. Yes he will be older, but the new TV contract is on the horizon and players are already getting paid insane amounts. This is also his last major contract, and I've yet to see any player give the Kings a discount. So my prediction 4/85. If he signs for 4/50 i'll be dancing in front of Golden 1 center giving Barnes praise lol.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,548

Post#3 » by codydaze » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:26 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:Long winded but here we go -

Man, if we can get him for an AAV of 15 or less as suggested in the polls, that would be absolutely insane.

Here is where I'm at, Spotrac has 11 teams (including the Kings) with 20+ million available in cap space. This may be low balling because I think other teams with player options can easily open up the cap space if those players leave.

Spurs - No
Houston - No
Pacers - Yes
Orlando - No
Pistons - Maybe?
Hornets -Maybe?
Thunder - Yes
Lakers - Yes (could chase Kyrie, or make a trade prior to the deadline that takes them out of the running)
Jazz - No
Wolves - Yes (but probably prioritize the point guard spot)

So we are going to have some competition for sure. What other players are free agents that can fill the same needs as Barnes?
Jerami Grant, Kuzma, Hart, Richardson, Crowder.. I'm probably stretching this list a bit as well. And of course Portland/Washington probably want to resign their main guys. If that happens then Barnes is probably the most sought after 3/4 on the market.

I see the Pacers/Thunder both really wanting a veteran like Barnes. Both younger teams that are overachieving. If the Lakers don't make a trade and Kyrie ends up sticking with Durant, they could easily be a threat to come in for Barnes.

That said, I think its going to take at least the contract we gave him last time. Yes he will be older, but the new TV contract is on the horizon and players are already getting paid insane amounts. This is also his last major contract, and I've yet to see any player give the Kings a discount. So my prediction 4/85. If he signs for 4/50 i'll be dancing in front of Golden 1 center giving Barnes praise lol.

I'd be fine with a $20 million salary but would be hesitant to give it a fourth year. I just don't know if I'd want to be paying 34 year old HB over 20 million. I'd kick the tires on something like 3/70 before I offer 4/85.

4/50 is a pipe dream but 4/60 is probably my ideal offer.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Post#4 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:37 pm

codydaze wrote:
I'd be fine with a $20 million salary but would be hesitant to give it a fourth year. I just don't know if I'd want to be paying 34 year old HB over 20 million. I'd kick the tires on something like 3/70 before I offer 4/85.

4/50 is a pipe dream but 4/60 is probably my ideal offer.

I'm right there with you. The good news is that Barnes is already not the fastest guy, I think his offense will age nicely. On the other hand, his defense already seems a step slow so in a few years that could be a real problem.

4/60 would be great for Kings. From what I've seen we have 25 million or so in space. I'd target Holmes + our 2023 1st for a wing that will replace Barnes in 1-2 years. I've mentioned Patrick Williams. If Isaac can stay healthy (tough ask) he's another guy id love to go after. That should give us room to fill out the rest of the roster. Resigning Lyles, maybe chasing Plumlee in free agency as the backup center, and probably a veteran pg like Ish Smith or Neto.

Sabonis/Plumlee/Queta
Murray/Lyles/2nd round pick
Barnes/Williams/KZ
Huerter/Monk/Ellis
Fox/Mitchell/Neto
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#5 » by blind prophet » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:57 am

I'm going to predict it costs much more to keep him than any of us would like. He has always made good loot, kinda like Rudy did back in the day.

And whenever he signs a contract people question it's value.

3 for 75 is my prediction. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets offered that by someone else and comes back to the Kings demanding a player option in year 4.

Return to Sacramento Kings