ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Trade Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Re: 2023-2024 Trade Thread 

Post#101 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:42 pm

I wonder what's the status of PJ Washington. Charlotte hasn't started him in awhile. He's having a down year but I think on our team he could turn it around real easily.
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#102 » by Crimson King » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:23 pm

Yeah, a package of PJ Washington and Miles Bridges would be a best case scenario IMO.
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#103 » by Crimson King » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:34 pm

blind prophet wrote:I'm intrigued by this.

the_process wrote:
The money doesn’t quite work with that outgoing for Sacto. What about this?

PHI gets Barnes and Huerter
SAC gets Tobias, Trent, and Springer
TOR gets Veznekov, Duarte, and Mitchell

We get out of the Barnes & Huerter contracts, get a look at Tobias & Trent, maybe Trent's defense gets more consistent here too he has the tools.

Next year we try again in FA or trades if we don't like what we see.

Over at the T&T board Tobias + a first thread.

Probably it would make sense to simplify the deal and make it Siakam + Trent for a similar package.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#104 » by City of Trees » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:30 am

Miles Bridges is off my board. Sad because back in the day SacKingzzzz and I were big proponents of going after Bridges
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#105 » by blind prophet » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:21 am

I wonder how legit the Siakim rumors are.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#106 » by City of Trees » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:28 am

blind prophet wrote:I wonder how legit the Siakim rumors are.
What have you heard in relation to the Kings? Any trade package proposals?
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#107 » by blind prophet » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:29 am

City of Trees wrote:
blind prophet wrote:I wonder how legit the Siakim rumors are.
What have you heard in relation to the Kings? Any trade package proposals?

The usual since Vlade, a guy is available and the Kings are interested. Like the early LaVine rumors.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 164

Post#108 » by Lost in LA » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:22 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:I was under the impression Masai wouldn't go for a full tank, but wow.

Quickley seems to be getting a ton of hype, but I'm not sure what makes him any better/more valuable than Monk? Both undersized shooting guard types who can do damage offensively. Really good player, but I never thought Monk had some crazy trade value.

RJ Barrett is an overpaid volume guy. Doesn't really impact the game, not sure he's even positive.. And on top of that they got no real picks.

Now maybe Masai sees Quickley having another level outside Brunson, but that's a crazy gamble or you come to the conclusion that OG just didn't have the value he was hyped to have on this board.

This may not age well, but I doubt OG is good value for $40MM a year, which we would have needed to pay to retain him. The salary market generally only goes one way. The issue for me is that a likely number 4 option can command that kind of money, and the implications for our cap and ability to improve, with non stars getting star like money from 18 months ago.

Our starting 3 cannot play 35-40 mins every night indefinitely. I believe we are a 45-48 win team at most as currently configured, and to get to the next level, whether regular or post season, we cannot lose 2 quarters in every game. So the near term options are:

a) Improve the starting 5 or
b) deepen the bench, and also of course
c) stay put...

The regular season and play offs are different environments, and most fans would I think prefer being a 7/8 seed, and a deeper play off run.

I feel we are better off this season by deepening the bench if possible as we are a 7 man rotation right now, with Barnes and Huerter having challenges. How many plays are being called for Barnes, and will Huerter improve once his hand heals fully? Why did we re-sign Barnes in the off season if we didn't plan to use him in games?

Maybe we wait and watch what the season unfolds, and see how the market moves. I see Phoenix getting better, as the season progresses, unless more injuries happen, but Houston and the Warriors getting worse. Maybe Brown uses the season to see how far this group can get them, and than making the hard decisions. Other than Sasha, I don't see a whole lot of improvement from the bench.

Not easy..but no to Lavine and Mitchell and yes to someone whio plays with enthusiasm, and more than a little defense.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#109 » by the_process » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:28 pm

ORL gets Duarte and Mitchell
SAC gets Tobias Harris and Gary Harris
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#110 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:50 pm

Lost in LA wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:I was under the impression Masai wouldn't go for a full tank, but wow.

Quickley seems to be getting a ton of hype, but I'm not sure what makes him any better/more valuable than Monk? Both undersized shooting guard types who can do damage offensively. Really good player, but I never thought Monk had some crazy trade value.

RJ Barrett is an overpaid volume guy. Doesn't really impact the game, not sure he's even positive.. And on top of that they got no real picks.

Now maybe Masai sees Quickley having another level outside Brunson, but that's a crazy gamble or you come to the conclusion that OG just didn't have the value he was hyped to have on this board.

This may not age well, but I doubt OG is good value for $40MM a year, which we would have needed to pay to retain him. The salary market generally only goes one way. The issue for me is that a likely number 4 option can command that kind of money, and the implications for our cap and ability to improve, with non stars getting star like money from 18 months ago.

Our starting 3 cannot play 35-40 mins every night indefinitely. I believe we are a 45-48 win team at most as currently configured, and to get to the next level, whether regular or post season, we cannot lose 2 quarters in every game. So the near term options are:

a) Improve the starting 5 or
b) deepen the bench, and also of course
c) stay put...

The regular season and play offs are different environments, and most fans would I think prefer being a 7/8 seed, and a deeper play off run.

I feel we are better off this season by deepening the bench if possible as we are a 7 man rotation right now, with Barnes and Huerter having challenges. How many plays are being called for Barnes, and will Huerter improve once his hand heals fully? Why did we re-sign Barnes in the off season if we didn't plan to use him in games?

Maybe we wait and watch what the season unfolds, and see how the market moves. I see Phoenix getting better, as the season progresses, unless more injuries happen, but Houston and the Warriors getting worse. Maybe Brown uses the season to see how far this group can get them, and than making the hard decisions. Other than Sasha, I don't see a whole lot of improvement from the bench.

Not easy..but no to Lavine and Mitchell and yes to someone whio plays with enthusiasm, and more than a little defense.

Personally don't see OG getting 40. I'm gonna guess lower 30s, but we will see. Even 4/110 wouldn't shock me at all. We hear this story of guy wanting max every year. Last year was Kuz (got 4/90) and Cam Johnson, he got 4/94.

I just don't see why pushing off a trade continues to make sense. Last year fine, we finally were good and they didn't want to rock the boat. This year the team has established around Fox, Monk, sabonis, murray.. we can survive any trade not including those guys (and honestly even including Murray even if it would hurt).

We don't have cap space or a pick this year, so not like our assets next season suddenly change. Now is as good of time as any to go for a real splash. You fill out the depth in the offseason. Actually targeting capable defenders for once.

I agree no to Lavine. But there's plenty of guys we can upgrade with.

And I don't think Barnes biggest issue is lack of offense. It's him being a traffic cone on defense. He can't guard any half way decent 3/4, and we get torched every time we play any team with forward depth. It's not his fault, he'd best served as a bench player. It was so clear we overpaid him this offseason. He's in that MLE phase of his career as a bench player.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#111 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:53 pm

the_process wrote:ORL gets Duarte and Mitchell

Sure but why is Philly touching this? Don't you guys want to stay cap flexible for free agents?
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,191

Post#112 » by OxAndFox » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:24 pm

The next 24 hours will be interesting. If a trade is going down they might want to do it after the Grizz game.
I'm starting to think it's best to sit tight for this season. Don't make any major moves unless it's a no brainer.
Next season there is enough expiring salary filler to include with a Barnes/Huerter/picks to make a much better offer for that third piece if that's the way Monte is wanting to go.

One thing is for sure though, they have to sort out the SG position. They can't pay Monk what he is going to get and have him come off the bench. Not with Huerter. With Duarte's salary and him being the starter, sure, but he is also only 1 more year.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,792

Post#113 » by BoogieTime » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:37 pm

OxAndFox wrote:The next 24 hours will be interesting. If a trade is going down they might want to do it after the Grizz game.
I'm starting to think it's best to sit tight for this season. Don't make any major moves unless it's a no brainer.
Next season there is enough expiring salary filler to include with a Barnes/Huerter/picks to make a much better offer for that third piece if that's the way Monte is wanting to go.

One thing is for sure though, they have to sort out the SG position. They can't pay Monk what he is going to get and have him come off the bench. Not with Huerter. With Duarte's salary and him being the starter, sure, but he is also only 1 more year.

Why do the next 24 hours matter?

They might have to wait til after the season if they can’t make a deal with ATL to just forfeit the pick and have the draft stash free, possibly. Not many GMs with insecure jobs is waiting for picks starting in 2028, and they are more risky for the Kings anyhow (out of contending window possibly)

I’m thinking Monte will just lay low and be involved in all the talks til there is a bargain. Does that mean I want Huerter/Barnes contracts cratering here while possibly being benched? No, I’m assuming he isn’t sitting on his hands with that
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#114 » by the_process » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:22 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
the_process wrote:ORL gets Duarte and Mitchell

Sure but why is Philly touching this? Don't you guys want to stay cap flexible for free agents?

I don't really think Morey would do this, because he's a gambler and wants the max cap space.

From the fan perspective, we don't really see a difference maker who is potentially obtainable so most would be willing to make a deal now if it improves the team.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#115 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 1, 2024 12:47 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:The next 24 hours will be interesting. If a trade is going down they might want to do it after the Grizz game.

They might have to wait til after the season if they can’t make a deal with ATL to just forfeit the pick and have the draft stash free, possibly. Not many GMs with insecure jobs is waiting for picks starting in 2028, and they are more risky for the Kings anyhow (out of contending window possibly)

I’m thinking Monte will just lay low and be involved in all the talks til there is a bargain. Does that mean I want Huerter/Barnes contracts cratering here while possibly being benched? No, I’m assuming he isn’t sitting on his hands with that

I agree with the last part. The next 24 hours gives a window to get a trade done and with coming up against lower end opponents. That's all, nothing more than that, but they would want to line it up to maximize how long the team has to incorporate new players in.

I too think Monte and the FO would like to be linked to each of the options, but whether or not he pulls the trigger now, before the deadline or in the off-season is anyone's guess.

Monte has gone for 2 guys in Edwards and Duarte as low cost buys. People are wanting the guys that have moved past that point, ie Thybulle, Exum etc.
The move I think Monte is looking at is that next buy low guy. Who that is, I'm not sure.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#116 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 1, 2024 12:55 am

Adding to that.
I think you can scour the 2022 draft and look for guys who may not have had an opportunity or come on as the teams would like. The below are guys that were first round picks and haven't been able to find a consistent game for various reasons.
Johnny Davis, Ousmane Dieng, Dalen Terry, Jake LaRavia, Blake Wesley, Wendell Moore Jr, Nikola Jovic, Patrick Baldwin Jr.
These are all guys that teams might want to get off in the summer. Some less than others of course.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#117 » by blind prophet » Mon Jan 1, 2024 5:19 am

BoogieTime wrote:

Agree with the risk of the Barnes/Huerter contracts long term.

Huerter is starting to remind me of the old Thornton contract.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#118 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 1, 2024 5:58 am

blind prophet wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Agree with the risk of the Barnes/Huerter contracts long term.

Huerter is starting to remind me of the old Thornton contract.

Give yourself an uppercut.
Honestly, though it's all good. All teams are looking for that upgrade to a certain area except perhaps the guys at the top of the tree which might mean they miss an opportunity.
The Kings need to upgrade in a couple of specific areas. They aren't playing that bad though so there shouldn't be a rush.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,146

Post#119 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Jan 2, 2024 12:18 pm

We're not getting a big name like Siakam or Lauri. My two targets, both that should be made available, are Isaac and Hayward. Isaac is my first choice. Send Huerter and a 2nd. He'd provide some much needed interior defense. He's blocked so his production sucks but I think he's a starter with us and would produce big time. Hayward could be had for a protected pick and maybe a young player. Whether he started or not, he'd help with depth and leadership. Both players are realistic options that make us that much tougher to beat in the playoffs.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#120 » by City of Trees » Wed Jan 3, 2024 3:56 am

Question: If there was a trade lined up (return is irrelevant to my Q) and the receiving team gave you the choice to send Huerter or Barnes- who you sending?

Return to Sacramento Kings