ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Trade Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,792

Re: 2023-2024 Trade Thread 

Post#121 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:04 am

City of Trees wrote:Question: If there was a trade lined up (return is irrelevant to my Q) and the receiving team gave you the choice to send Huerter or Barnes- who you sending?

Thats tough. I'd rather have Barnes in Sacramento but Huerter is younger with a lesser contract.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#122 » by blind prophet » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:08 am

City of Trees wrote:Question: If there was a trade lined up (return is irrelevant to my Q) and the receiving team gave you the choice to send Huerter or Barnes- who you sending?

Huerter.

He doesn't really do anything well any more. Sure he could snap back, but at least Barnes is spot shooting 3's at 38.5%
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#123 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:09 am

and im still not liking Keegan's offensive inconsistency and rebounding/playmaking total O package... in a deal for Lauri?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#124 » by City of Trees » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:13 am

blind prophet wrote:

Huerter.

He doesn't really do anything well any more. Sure he could snap back, but at least Barnes is spot shooting 3's at 38.5%
I'm choosing Huerter as well.

I prefer the intangibles and well rounded game from Barnes over Huerter streaky shooting.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#125 » by blind prophet » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:17 am

BoogieTime wrote:and im still not liking Keegan's offensive inconsistency and rebounding/playmaking total O package... in a deal for Lauri?

No way man. We've got the cheap contract & team control for so long.

We should of tried to move Bagley for Lauri years ago, was many of us wanting the Kings to here.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#126 » by City of Trees » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:17 am

BoogieTime wrote:and im still not liking Keegan's offensive inconsistency and rebounding/playmaking total O package... in a deal for Lauri?
I don't see any cause for concern. He has the talent, motor, coachability, and has shown flashes. Compare Keegan to his sophomore class and he's one of the top performers. Once the consistency shows up Keegan will be a force. He's a two way player who can guard 2-4
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#127 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:36 am

City of Trees wrote:
I don't see any cause for concern. He has the talent, motor, coachability, and has shown flashes. Compare Keegan to his sophomore class and he's one of the top performers. Once the consistency shows up Keegan will be a force. He's a two way player who can guard 2-4

I don't know about the motor.. He doesn't seem too energetic/imposing will, wild inconsistency, and the toughness (rebounding etc.) leaves to be desired...
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,454

Post#128 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:53 am

Unless there is a home run deal, you have to keep Keegan. He needs to be in better conditioning though. Keegan’s defensive effort has increased ten fold — which is great. But it’s affecting his offensive game.

I’m not worried about Keegan yet.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#129 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:17 am

KF10 wrote:Unless there is a home run deal, you have to keep Keegan. He needs to be in better conditioning though. Keegan’s defensive effort has increased ten fold — which is great. But it’s affecting his offensive game.

By the time your worried about him its too late for him to be the centerpiece of a major deal. He only has that value for a certain period of time or he will get better. I feel we are at the tipping point, he has value to be a big name player trade and might not even at the end of the year if things go wrong. Its about how comfortable you feel about his future vrs the certainty of a big time player.

I'm not as risky as some though and just want to watch concrete solid bball. I'm probably a bit more impetuous than a GM, I mean Fox would've been gone a few years back if it were up to me (and his improvement has been great, something I wouldnt have imagined)
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#130 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 7:00 am

BoogieTime wrote:By the time your worried about him its too late for him to be the centerpiece of a major deal. He only has that value for a certain period of time or he will get better. I feel we are at the tipping point, he has value to be a big name player trade and might not even at the end of the year if things go wrong. It’s about how comfortable you feel about his future vrs the certainty of a big time player.

I'm not as risky as some though and just want to watch concrete solid bball. I'm probably a bit more impetuous than a GM, I mean Fox would've been gone a few years back if it were up to me (and his improvement has been great, something I wouldnt have imagined)

I get that.

Still, I would give Keegan this entire season to learn and grow into his current position. I’m still optimistic with his potential.

Players like Barnes, Huerter, etc I would move first before moving Keegan.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#131 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 3, 2024 7:23 am

KF10 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:By the time your worried about him its too late for him to be the centerpiece of a major deal. He only has that value for a certain period of time or he will get better. I feel we are at the tipping point, he has value to be a big name player trade and might not even at the end of the year if things go wrong. It’s about how comfortable you feel about his future vrs the certainty of a big time player.

I get that.

Still, I would give Keegan this entire season to learn and grow into his current position. I’m still optimistic with his potential.

Players like Barnes, Huerter, etc I would move first before moving Keegan.

I agree with the end part, but at this point they might be easier to move with Keegan, lol.

As for the first part, I guess it just depends on your tolerance. My conservative personality just thinks adding a solidly good player next to Fox/Sabonis now and the team is just going to be solidly good with nothing else to worry about for the next half decade. I don't really like the ambivalence of hoping a player turns out, and the prospect of coming up short with that.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,191

Post#132 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 3, 2024 7:24 am

BoogieTime wrote:
KF10 wrote:Unless there is a home run deal, you have to keep Keegan. He needs to be in better conditioning though. Keegan’s defensive effort has increased ten fold — which is great. But it’s affecting his offensive game.

By the time your worried about him its too late for him to be the centerpiece of a major deal. He only has that value for a certain period of time or he will get better. I feel we are at the tipping point, he has value to be a big name player trade and might not even at the end of the year if things go wrong. Its about how comfortable you feel about his future vrs the certainty of a big time player.

Wasn't it last time you said that Keegan went for 47?
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#133 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 3, 2024 7:30 am

What this performance should highlight to people is the Kings aren't a half-decent player away. They are A LONG way away. I'm not trading anyone until next off season still unless its a knock it out of the park deal. Don't ruin future assets just to waste time this season. This team will make the POs, potentially just the Play In. But a trade isn't going to turn this team around to be a contender this season. Lauri certainly isn't. Siakam isn't and won't sign and
Lavine you could gamble on raising his negative value for an off season flip, and make him the 2nd scorer, but as suggested, it's a gamble.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#134 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 7:35 am

BoogieTime wrote:I agree with the end part, but at this point they might be easier to move with Keegan, lol.

As for the first part, I guess it just depends on your tolerance. My conservative personality just thinks adding a solidly good player next to Fox/Sabonis now and the team is just going to be solidly good with nothing else to worry about for the next half decade. I don't really like the ambivalence of hoping a player turns out, and the prospect of coming up short with that.

Don’t get me wrong. If there is a home run deal for Keegan, the Kings should definitely consider it.

Should the Kings pull the trigger if it’s a player like Siakam? Lauri? Lavine?
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#135 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 3, 2024 7:46 am

And I will say, all of the players that we are all trying to trade, who was the problem tonight?

Barnes? Maybe, still too passive, but that's what the role of the #4 is in this team it would seem.
Huerter? Was out there for a poofteenth, 12 mins. Let's not go there.

Then you have:
Duarte? Played with energy. Did his best and IMO showed what a defensive SG should do.
Keegan? 4/12 off barely any play calls. Needs to be more agressive. Is he shooting the same amount as the defensive SG or do the Kings really believe he is more than that? If they do he would be shooting more.

How does Monk only play 19mins? I know he's been ill lately, but if your good to go, then get him out there.
Why wasn't Fox more aggressive in the first half?
Domas had a poor game with his hands, but at least with him you know he is giving it his all the entire time.

Len, Davion, Lyles (Len and Lyles played well again) who cares, they weren't out there long enough to win or lose the game.

Coach: Coach is doubling down on D all the time. We know that, but what does being #6 in D in the last 5 games do when you go 2-3 and lose to Portland and Charlotte? There is nothing to learn by playing like crap against these teams.
Also, why not play Sasha when he has better defensive stats than any other player on the team that is playing over 10mpg per 36?
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#136 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 3, 2024 8:52 am

OxAndFox wrote:What this performance should highlight to people is the Kings aren't a half-decent player away. They are A LONG way away. I'm not trading anyone until next off season still unless its a knock it out of the park deal. Don't ruin future assets just to waste time this season. This team will make the POs, potentially just the Play In. But a trade isn't going to turn this team around to be a contender this season. Lauri certainly isn't. Siakam isn't and won't sign and
Lavine you could gamble on raising his negative value for an off season flip, and make him the 2nd scorer, but as suggested, it's a gamble.

Yeah, I'm shaking in my boots over the mighty Timberwolves/Nuggets/Thunder who we are 4-1 against (that b2b game against min).

We might not traditionally be a contending team with another good player, but there aren't really any great teams in modern times that we are facing.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,146

Post#137 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Jan 3, 2024 9:03 am

nobody running Monk and Huerter out there to play major minutes or starting Harrison Barnes is a serious contender. I've been resigned to this result since our underwhelming draft night and no major trade in the offseason. Everyone else seemingly addressed major needs and we basically stood pat with a very flawed roster. I don't see us having the stones to make a major trade but at least do something to give us a spark and an upgrade at either the 2 or 4.

Keegan did what I expected him to do which was to pack on some lbs and become a better defender. Now, if he has anything chance to repeat that type of improvement he needs to go on the Giannis sauce and come in even bigger but also more conditioned so he's got more energy to attack. Only then can he reach his potential. But if we aren't seeing a noticeable difference come training camp it's likely not in the cards for him and I'd look to move him while his value is still high around the league.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#138 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:10 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:nobody running Monk and Huerter out there to play major minutes or starting Harrison Barnes is a serious contender. I've been resigned to this result since our underwhelming draft night and no major trade in the offseason. Everyone else seemingly addressed major needs and we basically stood pat with a very flawed roster. I don't see us having the stones to make a major trade but at least do something to give us a spark and an upgrade at either the 2 or 4.

Keegan did what I expected him to do which was to pack on some lbs and become a better defender. Now, if he has anything chance to repeat that type of improvement he needs to go on the Giannis sauce and come in even bigger but also more conditioned so he's got more energy to attack. Only then can he reach his potential. But if we aren't seeing a noticeable difference come training camp it's likely not in the cards for him and I'd look to move him while his value is still high around the league.

? Monk is probably the best 6th man in the league.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#139 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 9:00 pm

OxAndFox wrote:And I will say, all of the players that we are all trying to trade, who was the problem tonight?

Barnes? Maybe, still too passive, but that's what the role of the #4 is in this team it would seem.
Huerter? Was out there for a poofteenth, 12 mins. Let's not go there.

Then you have:
Duarte? Played with energy. Did his best and IMO showed what a defensive SG should do.
Keegan? 4/12 off barely any play calls. Needs to be more agressive. Is he shooting the same amount as the defensive SG or do the Kings really believe he is more than that? If they do he would be shooting more.

How does Monk only play 19mins? I know he's been ill lately, but if your good to go, then get him out there.
Why wasn't Fox more aggressive in the first half?
Domas had a poor game with his hands, but at least with him you know he is giving it his all the entire time.

Len, Davion, Lyles (Len and Lyles played well again) who cares, they weren't out there long enough to win or lose the game.

Coach: Coach is doubling down on D all the time. We know that, but what does being #6 in D in the last 5 games do when you go 2-3 and lose to Portland and Charlotte? There is nothing to learn by playing like crap against these teams.
Also, why not play Sasha when he has better defensive stats than any other player on the team that is playing over 10mpg per 36?

It's not just tonight. There is a pattern in the first 30 or so games that has been played when this team loses.

When you have 2 starters (arguably 3 when you include Keegan) that isn't consistent at all in Barnes and Huerter in the starting lineup, it simply puts a lot pressure in both Fox and Sabonis to produce at such a level to win game in and game out. It's hard to achieve greatness.

This team is a good team but not great. Other teams in the Western conference improved. My expectation has tempered a bit. This team is a minimum play-in team to a 4th seeded team with a 1st round exit.

Brown did the right thing to bench Huerter in favor for Duarte. It remains to be seen if he is going to bench Barnes in a similar fashion like he did with Huerter.

The Charlotte game last night was the worst loss of the season. Moreso than the Portland game.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#140 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 3, 2024 10:02 pm

KF10 wrote:It's not just tonight. There is a pattern in the first 30 or so games that has been played when this team loses.

When you have 2 starters (arguably 3 when you include Keegan) that isn't consistent at all in Barnes and Huerter in the starting lineup, it simply puts a lot pressure in both Fox and Sabonis to produce at such a level to win game in and game out. It's hard to achieve greatness.

This team is a good team but not great. Other teams in the Western conference improved. My expectation has tempered a bit. This team is a minimum play-in team to a 4th seeded team with a 1st round exit.

Brown did the right thing to bench Huerter in favor for Duarte. It remains to be seen if he is going to bench Barnes in a similar fashion like he did with Huerter.

The Charlotte game last night was the worst loss of the season. Moreso than the Portland game.

While I do agree, and certainly you have to put Keegan in that inconsistent group, this is a good team, not a great one. At this point should they be more advanced? I'm not sure.
I have been saying for a while, Huerter gets a few shots to open the game and then his shots dry up for the most part. It puts a lot of pressure on his opening shots, hits them and he stays on the floor, misses them and he's off. He has done a much better job at the defensive end and is rebounding better than Barnes and Keegan.
Barnes is in a similar boat.

I'm willing to give Brown the benefit of the doubt. He is messing with the rotations a lot. I do believe that Duarte will eventually become that SG starter long term, like multiple years with a good contract. A defensive player that can still shoot the 3. It's clear they have been working with him on not taking ill advised mid range shots and defending without fouling. Roughly 20mpg and Monk plays starter minutes. You just have to put Monk on the court.

It's the defensive 4 that we still covet IMO. An Ibaka type. They don't grow on trees though.

Return to Sacramento Kings