ImageImageImageImageImage

Shaq to PHX

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,526

Post#21 » by pillwenney » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:04 am

Ballings7 wrote:Charlotte's probably not in the market for picks anymore. They indicated they've begun their win now process, and are aiming for the playoffs this year. Just 3 games out in the east.

Which is why we should be looking to trade Brad for their pick come draft time!
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#22 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:10 am

mitchweber wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hellllll no.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#23 » by Ballings7 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:17 am

I'd do that. Sacrificing short-term production for a mid-R1 pick in a deep draft. Brad would also be a nice fit on Charlotte.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#24 » by ICMTM » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:26 am

I think the Suns had to answer what the Lakers did.
KANGZZZZZ!
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,526

Post#25 » by pillwenney » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:10 am

Ballings7 wrote:

I'd do that. Sacrificing short-term production for a mid-R1 pick in a deep draft. Brad would also be a nice fit on Charlotte.

It wouldn't even be a mid-1st rounder going off of where Charlotte is right now. They're in position for the 8th pick, just like last year.

ICMTM wrote:I think the Suns had to answer what the Lakers did.

But they get worse with this deal. At this point in their careers, Marion>>>Shaq, especially when you factor in durability.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#26 » by ICMTM » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:10 pm

I'm not saying it's a good deal...I'm more offering a reason why they did it.

Also if Shaq is healthy it's a done deal. PHX is a better team. I don't think he is and I think he's broken to pieces but who knows...he does pout a lot.
KANGZZZZZ!
_SRV_
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#27 » by _SRV_ » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:52 pm

After the shock of hearing about this trade, it makes some sense.
Suns lost their best fast break option and a roamer that helped them in defense, but still they lacked size, mainly for rebounding and defending big guys, Amare was fouling at high rate and big part of it was being physically out matched, it's still a weird trade, Marion's pouting, contract status and bad POs took their toll, I don't know, they may surprise in the PO, it'll hurt them in the regular season though.
Regardless, the west seems to be panicking after the Lakers' trade, Gasol and Shaq, Webber signing in GS, Kidd to Dallas negotiating, it's getting wild, both on court with the crazy seeding and behind the scenes.
RoyalCourtJestr
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#28 » by RoyalCourtJestr » Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:34 pm

I don't get it lately. The last two major NBA trades have been one sided. Makes me wounder if we are gonna get to feast on a one sided deal, or if we'll be feasted on.
mprose wrote:And that leaves me with the conclusion that DMC is the Sarah Palin of the NBA.
Danimal1730
Ballboy

Post#29 » by Danimal1730 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:43 pm

Its been insinuated (primarily on message boards) that perhaps Ricky Davis and Boris Diaw are involved. That would even things out a little bit more if you asked me. However, that addition may be factitious.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#30 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:48 pm

I agree with ICMTM - I think that this is a move in response to the Lakers acquiring Pau and getting so big inside. Kerr KNOWS that PHX can't beat that lineup in PO ball - hell they can't even beat San Antonio with Duncan and a bunch of scrub extras on the frontline! The run and gun game is great to fill seats and win games during the reg season, but once you get to the second round and beyond in the PO's, you find that it just doesn't work. the game gets called a lot differently and slows down.

Also, insofar as Marion being the great roamer/defender that they will miss, I totally disagree. Now that Amare has obviously gotten back to full health, I see him as FAR more effective as a weakside shotblocker/roamer with Shaq than he and Marion could EVER be. I think that they are in good shape as long as Shaq is even reasonably healthy. Also, trading Ron there would not hurt them with lux tax, because he would opt out at the end of the year and be off the books.
_SRV_
Analyst

Post#31 » by _SRV_ » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:55 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:Also, insofar as Marion being the great roamer/defender that they will miss, I totally disagree. Now that Amare has obviously gotten back to full health, I see him as FAR more effective as a weakside shotblocker/roamer with Shaq than he and Marion could EVER be. I think that they are in good shape as long as Shaq is even reasonably healthy. Also, trading Ron there would not hurt them with lux tax, because he would opt out at the end of the year and be off the books.

Not really, Marion was quicker and more active than Amare on the defensive end, he also was the first to those loose rebounds and lazy passes, he's just a very active player.
I think it'll hurt their fast break style on both sides of the floor, generating the fast break opportunity and finishing it, but they knew that, they are looking to get bigger.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#32 » by Smills91 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:28 pm

_SRV_ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not really, Marion was quicker and more active than Amare on the defensive end, he also was the first to those loose rebounds and lazy passes, he's just a very active player.
I think it'll hurt their fast break style on both sides of the floor, generating the fast break opportunity and finishing it, but they knew that, they are looking to get bigger.

Eh, maybe some, but Barbosa doesn't even hardly cross the halfcourt line and he's off to the end on a fast break. This'll actually provide more minutes for him IMO.
Bibbinator
Rookie
And1: 3

Post#33 » by Bibbinator » Wed Feb 6, 2008 11:14 pm

Smills91 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Eh, maybe some, but Barbosa doesn't even hardly cross the halfcourt line and he's off to the end on a fast break. This'll actually provide more minutes for him IMO.

Shaq is good at throwing outlet passes too.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#34 » by Smills91 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:08 am

Bibbinator wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Shaq is good at throwing outlet passes too.

Exactly, a good FASTBREAK team has a PG that pushes and two wings that can get out on the break(Hill/Barbosa/Bell) with a STRONG trailer(Amare).

this is actually a GREAT fit for Phoenix as Shaq will only have to run the full-length of the court on probably about a half of the suns possessions. He'll just rebound/play D and go down on offense when the Suns are in the halfcourt.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,454

Post#35 » by KF10 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:17 am

This trade is an eh to me... With Shaq in the lineup they will lose some offense efficiency... Marion is was the recipient of Nash's full court passes to get the easy fast break points and such... And Marion was their BEST versatile defender as well. So, they will downgrade their offense and defense IMO... The only positive thing about this is that they will have an option to be a run n' gun team OR a more halfcourt team...which is good during the playoffs....
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,054

Post#36 » by DBurks2818 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:29 am

Phoenix wants to get DJ Strawberry those minutes. And Hill as well.

I like this trade because it's the end of one-sided Artest trades between SAC and MIA where the Heat were being asked to give up all of their chips and take back KT.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#37 » by KingInExile » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:50 am

DBurks2818 wrote:Phoenix wants to get DJ Strawberry those minutes. And Hill as well.

I like this trade because it's the end of one-sided Artest trades between SAC and MIA where the Heat were being asked to give up all of their chips and take back KT.
Artest and KT for Marion sound pretty good to me, but the Heat will have to thrown in an unprotected 1st.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#38 » by Ballings7 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:34 pm

Smills91 wrote:He'll just rebound/play D and go down on offense when the Suns are in the halfcourt.

The first part isn't that simple.

Shaq's not nearly the defender and rebounder he was, even in the form of two years ago with the Heat. He's been and is inconsistent and limited now on defense and rebounding. Due to motivational and health issues, and not as mobile any more. And, with the Heat in 06, his motivation was good, and he did get hurt again, but it worked out right when he came back. Remember, Shaq's motivation has been up and down for awhile now, even with the Lakers.

His health is unreliable, and while his motivation will be there at first, it's probably not going to be there consistently. I don't think it will be.

Shaq staying healthy, even being healthy for the playoffs (as has been shown recently), is a very significant thing to ask. Neither can be put out there as a good possiblity either.

Shaq has to have fair health and not be playing hurt much, in able for him to be what the Suns want. Regardless, the defense and rebounding won't be what they're expecting. Not being a solid point of his game anymore.

There are some positives, but there are more negatives, risks, and questions with this trade.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#39 » by Smills91 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:58 pm

Shaq can still clog the lane, and I guarantee you that Shaq'll use the remainder of the season as 'training camp' for HIS season. He only has to be GOOD for 2 months, which I think he can do.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#40 » by Ballings7 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 9:50 am

Yeah, he can still clog the lane. But wlll get into foul trouble several times, as well.

I still don't think that's enough defensvely for the Suns, especially already not being a solid defensive team, and Marion leaving takes a hit to their defense and rebounding.

They don't have one stand-out rebounder now. Amare isn't a good/quality/top-level/very effective rebounder, he's satisfactory there, but not like other top big men. As has gone for his career, and this season. Shaq's generally okay. Skinner is their best rebounder I'd say, but he doesn't and won't play enough. Diaw's average, at best, and not being that athletic and undersized at 6'6"/6'7" doesn't help.

Marion wasn't a consistently effective on-ball defender there the last 3-4 years, because of the mismatches he was put up against semi-regularily, and plus all the other things he did and focused more on. But still you had another significant defender overall, and a chance for some things to go on with Marion.

The defense on the perimeter will improve with Shaq guarding the basket in some amount, but the perimeter defensive group they have isn't too good. Bell, yeah. Hill's defensive role only increases from what it was before with Marion gone. Hill's still adequate and smart (did well guarding Paul a few times late last game actually), but more defensive responsibility for him plus what he does offensively and rebounding the ball? That's quite a bit to ask of an older Grant Hill. The rest is Nash, Barbosa, and Tucker/Strawberry. Both of which have defensive ability, a reputation from college, and eventually will be legitimate, but they won't arrive and be established as players until down the line.

I think they'll improve defensively, but not up another level or something. Still don't think they'll have playoff level defense and rebounding, either. The personnel, mind-set, and energy usage is inadequate for that.

Return to Sacramento Kings