ImageImageImageImageImage

2022-2023 Trade thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

Sacramento_King
Rookie
And1: 76

Re: 2022-2023 Trade thread 

Post#41 » by Sacramento_King » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:22 am

I read Twolves arent resigning Naz Reid I would love to add his energy to Kings. Liked him coming out of LSU. Maybe they move him for multiple seconds.

I do think San Antonio is a good team to deal with. They are in rebuild mode so Holmes contract isnt as big of a negative and I think with a pass first guard like Tre Jones, he rebounds and becomes more effective. Would our poo poo platter of Len, TD, Holmes and a some combo of a bunch of 2nd's (23' Indy and Sac, 24' Dallas and Sac and 25' Portland) net us Zach Collins and Doug McDermott or Richardson.

Charlotte would work since they are struggling again but Holmes doesnt fit not does Davion so do 2nd's entice them for Plumlee, Oubre or PJ Washington?

I just know we need to strengthen our depth.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#42 » by blind prophet » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:17 am

Do you guys think Holmes + 2 seconds for Noel is enough to get out of his contract? Would Detroit be interested?
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,191

Post#43 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:38 am

blind prophet wrote:Do you guys think Holmes + 2 seconds for Noel is enough to get out of his contract? Would Detroit be interested?

I don't think that would be enough for them with Stewart there and Duren showing so much potential.

I think a Holmes trade only comes if a team gets hit by injuries at the 5 position in the next few weeks.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Post#44 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:07 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Do you guys think Holmes + 2 seconds for Noel is enough to get out of his contract? Would Detroit be interested?

I don't think that would be enough for them with Stewart there and Duren showing so much potential.

I think a Holmes trade only comes if a team gets hit by injuries at the 5 position in the next few weeks.

Nerlens sucks so at that point we are trading for an expiring contract.

I think we are stuck with Holmes until this summer. But he can be used as salary matching filler once we get there.

I know backup center has been an "issue" all year, I personally don't mind Metu. I think getting a good defensive forward is a much bigger need.

Sportstrac estimates our practical cap space next year at 26 million. Barnes has made an insane amount of money, I'm hoping we can sign him to a discounted rate for 3 years. Something like 3/50-60 with max raises. That should keep some space open. Then use Holmes + our 1st round pick to grab a younger forward. Not sure who fits that bill, but someone like Patrick Williams could make some sense as a guy with defensive potential who can hit the 3 ball.

Centers: Sabonis/Metu/Queta
Forwards: Murray/Barnes/Williams/Lyles/KZ
Guards: Fox/Huerter/Mitchell/Monk

This roster wouldn't make me too upset going into next year. If Williams progresses he would eventually take Barnes role in the starting lineup. Giving us Monk/Barnes/Lyles as the scorers off the bench.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#45 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:02 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Nerlens sucks so at that point we are trading for an expiring contract.

I think we are stuck with Holmes until this summer. But he can be used as salary matching filler once we get there.

I know backup center has been an "issue" all year, I personally don't mind Metu. I think getting a good defensive forward is a much bigger need.

Sportstrac estimates our practical cap space next year at 26 million. Barnes has made an insane amount of money, I'm hoping we can sign him to a discounted rate for 3 years. Something like 3/50-60 with max raises. That should keep some space open. Then use Holmes + our 1st round pick to grab a younger forward. Not sure who fits that bill, but someone like Patrick Williams could make some sense as a guy with defensive potential who can hit the 3 ball.

Centers: Sabonis/Metu/Queta
Forwards: Murray/Barnes/Williams/Lyles/KZ
Guards: Fox/Huerter/Mitchell/Monk

This roster wouldn't make me too upset going into next year. If Williams progresses he would eventually take Barnes role in the starting lineup. Giving us Monk/Barnes/Lyles as the scorers off the bench.

Agreed.
I would like Vezenkov in that line-up, I know it's not a guarantee he will come over but IMO Monte needs that to be a focus too.
As far as the back up 5. The thing is you need to spend the least amount of money at your best players' position. If the Kings can move Holmes and have your line-up here they have achieved that.

And the reason I say that is because I didn't realise until yesterday that the Kings' starting unit is really good defensively (110 rating).
Sub in Davion for Fox and it's even better at 108. It's when the other bench guys get in there that the Kings start to struggle. So in the POs hopefully Brown tightens up the rotation and the Kings' D won't be as much of a problem.
Kabaum
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#46 » by Kabaum » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:43 pm

Patrick Williams could turn into a great player and would be a steal I think if we got him for Holmes and a 1st. I also saw that the Clippers are willing to trade John Wall for a back up big. Havent seen him play much this year but I've read he is doing great as a role player. Could he help with our defense in the 2nd unit?
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#47 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:43 am

Kabaum wrote:Patrick Williams could turn into a great player and would be a steal I think if we got him for Holmes and a 1st. I also saw that the Clippers are willing to trade John Wall for a back up big. Havent seen him play much this year but I've read he is doing great as a role player. Could he help with our defense in the 2nd unit?

I actually thought Williams was going to blow up to be the next big thing this season. That was putting way too much on him though and the goal should always have been to just get on the court and play as much as possible. He is looking okay too.

On the Wall front, just say no. We don't need a poor man's Fox and defence in the 2nd unit from the guard spot is filled by a far better defender in Davion.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#48 » by becorz » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:23 am

With Barnes' impending free agency, I think this might be the last time that the Kings have a chance to make a significant addition to the main core of the team, if that is the route they decide to go. I also think that Kuzma is a player I would target in a Barnes trade. I was thinking about this as the bones to a three team trade

To Sacramento: Kuzma
To Washington: Collins
To Atlanta: Barnes

Kings get the best player (imo) who fits the timeline but have to pay up in FA. Atlanta gets to try Barnes as their PF and I think he fits better with the their lineup. Washington gets a good player that already has a long term contract, unlike Kuzma.

Do you all think that is realistic? Or am I underselling Barnes' veteran presence and Collins' overall ability?
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#49 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:36 am

OxAndFox wrote:If I'm the Kings I am getting the Hawks on the phone regarding John Collins. It's time. Barnes is who I would be offering and not much else. Maybe they can talk about the 1st round pick structure as well. Obviously, this is only if the Hawks are indeed wanting to get off JCs money.
Collins and Barnes are having similar seasons, but the major difference is in rebounding the ball. Collins can do this at a very good clip and Sabonis needs help.

The main reason the Kings should do this is I'm more than confident the Kings can unlock Collins as a player and he would be great to watch with Sabonis. He isn't shooting the 3 too well at all (to put it mildly), but IMO he would get that back once he is traded to a situation that values him. His defense and toughness are what's needed here.
Collins is a player that can potentially be had at the lower end of his value. The Kings are in no position to make a move for a player that is at the peak of value.

Having Keegan and Collins doesn't hurt anything at either end of the floor. While many believe Keegan is a 4, he can't defend the bigger 4s in the NBA. Defensively they would match up like Barnes and Keegan currently do. It's match up and team dependant rather than a position.

What do you guys think?

While I like this very much in principle I would absolutely try to swing it as Holmes and expiring filler (basically allow them to dump 3/4 of Collins contract) and relax the pick protections as the sweetener.
That provides a solid anchor of Barnes to the second unit and actually improves overall depth and talent. If you need to include Len as the filler rather than TD you can allow Queta better development or sign a vet Center off the pile of availables already discussed and still improve depth even more for the playoffs.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#50 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:48 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:If I'm the Kings I am getting the Hawks on the phone regarding John Collins. It's time. Barnes is who I would be offering and not much else. Maybe they can talk about the 1st round pick structure as well. Obviously, this is only if the Hawks are indeed wanting to get off JCs money.
Collins and Barnes are having similar seasons, but the major difference is in rebounding the ball. Collins can do this at a very good clip and Sabonis needs help.

The main reason the Kings should do this is I'm more than confident the Kings can unlock Collins as a player and he would be great to watch with Sabonis. He isn't shooting the 3 too well at all (to put it mildly), but IMO he would get that back once he is traded to a situation that values him. His defense and toughness are what's needed here.
Collins is a player that can potentially be had at the lower end of his value. The Kings are in no position to make a move for a player that is at the peak of value.

Having Keegan and Collins doesn't hurt anything at either end of the floor. While many believe Keegan is a 4, he can't defend the bigger 4s in the NBA. Defensively they would match up like Barnes and Keegan currently do. It's match up and team dependant rather than a position.

What do you guys think?

While I like this very much in principle I would absolutely try to swing it as Holmes and expiring filler (basically allow them to dump 3/4 of Collins contract) and relax the pick protections as the sweetener.
That provides a solid anchor of Barnes to the second unit and actually improves overall depth and talent. If you need to include Len as the filler rather than TD you can allow Queta better development or sign a vet Center off the pile of availables already discussed and still improve depth even more for the playoffs.

If Monte can get a deal of JC centered around Holmes+ then I'm all for it. I don't see the Hawks wanting Holmes though even though they haven't had the best availability from Capela. And the Hawks play P&R a lot which would be great for Holmes.

So, I wonder if the Hawks would look to trade both Collins and Capela for a new frontcourt altogether as a basis of a deal that has Holmes at the 5 and a 4 from team C that gets Capela? Washington? Or they could get off the entire salary from these two with the Hornets and Plumlee.

Obviously draft capital needs to be dispursed in either one of these.

Option 1
Kings still relaxing pick
Hawks get:
Holmes/Kuzma

Kings get:
JC

Wizards get:
Capela

Option 2 - Can't get the salaries to work on this.
Hawks get:
Kuzma/Plumlee/Oubre

Kings get:
JC

Wizards get:
Capela
Lyles

Hornets get:
Holmes
TD
Holiday
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,792

Post#51 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:27 am

I was on the Kuzma train, but the starting lineup is cooking in terms of advanced stats, and is already rolling out some of the best offense. The only way you could really justify tweaking IMO is for defense, which he isnt.

Collins hasn't been good this year, and will be owed 25+ mil in the three seasons after this. your betting on a lot that he reverts back. I heard one of the reasons he hasn't been shooting well is subpar catch and shoot as well, which..

I think I've cooled on the prospects of them from a couple weeks back
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#52 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:40 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
Kabaum wrote:Patrick Williams could turn into a great player and would be a steal I think if we got him for Holmes and a 1st. I also saw that the Clippers are willing to trade John Wall for a back up big. Havent seen him play much this year but I've read he is doing great as a role player. Could he help with our defense in the 2nd unit?

I actually thought Williams was going to blow up to be the next big thing this season. That was putting way too much on him though and the goal should always have been to just get on the court and play as much as possible. He is looking okay too.

On the Wall front, just say no. We don't need a poor man's Fox and defence in the 2nd unit from the guard spot is filled by a far better defender in Davion.

I haven't watched a ton of Williams, but when I did, I didn't get the star feeling from him. But that's okay, we have Fox/Sabonis as our stars, and Murray will hopefully progress to be the 3rd guy. He's a guy who shoots 42% from 3 for his career. I think playing under a good coach like Mike Brown he could easily become a really solid defensive guy.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#53 » by City of Trees » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:03 am

Watching the Sun's/Nets game tonight. Nets are getting smacked around lol but I gotta say PHX's Ish Wainwright makes winning plays. I'd love to add him to the Kings rotation off the bench somehow.. Looks like a good defender too.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#54 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:47 pm

Lets go got my username changed! LTB!

About John Collins. I was way off that train this off-season, and I couldn't be further off it this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/john-collins-23614/

3 more years between 25.3 and 26.6?

It's not like he's a good defender. And hes going to have the same if not less offensive opportunity in Sac. Seems like a horrendous use of money/assets.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,548

Post#55 » by codydaze » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:20 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:Lets go got my username changed! LTB!

About John Collins. I was way off that train this off-season, and I couldn't be further off it this year.

It's not like he's a good defender. And hes going to have the same if not less offensive opportunity in Sac. Seems like a horrendous use of money/assets.

RIP RipPizzaGuy
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#56 » by codydaze » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:01 pm

Sham reporting Ibaka and the Bucks have agreed to find him a new home. Could be a decent cheap option to look into though I wouldn't be willing to part with more than a second or two plus Len. Not sure I'd even move TD for him but if the price is cheap enough I would look into it.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#57 » by OxAndFox » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:36 am

codydaze wrote:Sham reporting Ibaka and the Bucks have agreed to find him a new home. Could be a decent cheap option to look into though I wouldn't be willing to part with more than a second or two plus Len. Not sure I'd even move TD for him but if the price is cheap enough I would look into it.

Not sure how it gets done, to be honest. I also think Ibaka is cooked and from the outside looking in he tends to have problems everywhere he goes, not with teammates or anything, mainly with his role. I'd say no thanks.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#58 » by OxAndFox » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:38 am

Sorry, should have added, the right target is sitting in front of us and we've all known it in some capacity so Monte surely does. It's Mason Plumlee.
You won't get a back up 5 that is as much plug-and-play compared with Sabonis as him. With the news Charlotte is selling there is a deal to be made.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#59 » by codydaze » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:54 am

Read on Twitter

One Paul Reed, please.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#60 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:16 am

codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:Lets go got my username changed! LTB!

RIP RipPizzaGuy

Its been almost 10 years since Thomas left Sac. It was time for a change lol

Return to Sacramento Kings