ImageImageImageImageImage

2022-2023 Trade thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

Silver Man
Starter
And1: 528

Re: 2022-2023 Trade thread 

Post#161 » by Silver Man » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:06 pm

Not shoring up our back up big issue with someone like Plumlee sucks but hopefully we can grab someone on the buy out market.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#162 » by City of Trees » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:08 pm

Making sense of standing pat: every team who got better today had to give up something. Monte is playing long ball.

Yes, other teams got better however the Kings positioned themselves well enough (31-23) where unloading future assets for meh bench upgrades wasn't worth it.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#163 » by City of Trees » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:12 pm

Essentially, fans are pissed the Kings didn't make a deal to go from playoff team to contender. Turning into a contender doesn't happen in 1 season
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#164 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:26 pm

City of Trees wrote:Essentially, fans are pissed the Kings didn't make a deal to go from playoff team to contender. Turning into a contender doesn't happen in 1 season

This.

And once again, all the teams that made moves on the “improvement” side are on their last gasp for a title shot.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,615

Post#165 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:47 pm

This seems like a generous amount of cope from some Kings fans.

Trading 2nd round picks for guys like Bryant, Bey, Plumlee, Richardson has nothing to do with wanting to go from a playoff team to a contender. This was about trying to secure a top 6 seed.

Pelicans, lakers, Clippers, Suns, Dallas, Memphis, Denver, Warriors, Wolves all made trades to get better. From KD, to Josh Richardson. Not many Kings fans were banking on Siakam or KD. But we have many future incoming 2nds. To think we couldn't shore up the backup wing or or backup center is pathetic.

Maybe it means nothing, maybe we fall to the 8th seed and play GS/LA in the play-ins and fall out of the playoffs.

And no... Buy out guys will not come sign in Sac. They will head to Milwaukee, LA, Miami, Phx like they always do.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#166 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:54 pm

Another thing is that we won't really be impacted too much by these teams with our schedule as long as we continue to take care of business. The next two games against Dallas will likely be them without Luka and then we play Phoenix who won't have KD back from his injury either. Of the teams that loaded up, we play Phoenix twice later in the year and then Dallas once.

I don't think the Pels or Blazers got significantly better in relation to us, those moves were relatively minor. Clippers got better but they were going to be a better team than us regardless with Kawhi and PG healthy. As long as we keep winning the games we should win we'll still be looking at finishing the year with 45-48 wins and avoid the play in.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#167 » by City of Trees » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:51 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:Trading 2nd round picks for guys like Bryant, Bey, Plumlee, Richardson has nothing to do with wanting to go from a playoff team to a contender. This was about trying to secure a top 6 seed.

None of those guys make or break the Kings finishing top 6. Bey or Plumlee would have helped the most however neither of those guys were traded for 2nds?
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#168 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:56 pm

City of Trees wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:Trading 2nd round picks for guys like Bryant, Bey, Plumlee, Richardson has nothing to do with wanting to go from a playoff team to a contender. This was about trying to secure a top 6 seed.

None of those guys make or break the Kings finishing top 6. Bey or Plumlee would have helped the most however neither of those guys were traded for 2nds?

To be fair, Plumlee's price was Reggie Jackson who they are buying out and one second. I would have paid that price if TD and two seconds got it done. I do agree that he is not moving the needle significantly enough to not just shrug off the non-deal though.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#169 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:06 pm

codydaze wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

To be fair, Plumlee's price was Reggie Jackson who they are buying out and one second. I would have paid that price if TD and two seconds got it done. I do agree that he is not moving the needle significantly enough to not just shrug off the non-deal though.

Am I confused? Wasn't the deal

GS traded Wiseman for Bey/Knox

Then re-routed Bey to ATL for 2nds?

Guys, we just gave up 128 pts to the Rockets and got lucky that Eric Gordon bailed us out. What am I missing here? Beyond Monk/Lyles and the occasional game where Davis looks good our bench is awful. We have been EXTREMELY fortunate that while the entire West has dealt with injuries (and yes I mean the entire west), we have for the most part not had a single big injury.

So yes, maybe if we continue to stay healthy trading for Bey/Plumlee only adds 1-2 wins. But what it does is also give us insurance for when any one of our starters can't play.

I mean come on, the Pelicans have Ingram, Marshall, Herb, Murphy, Daniels and are infinitely deeper at the wing than us, and they still found good value getting Richardson.

But I should be happy that we have all these extra 2nds, and then cheer when Monte inevitably sells them for cash and future 2nds. Makes sense.

Further, this is how good teams build up their salary and are able to continue trading for better players. We trade for Bey and then resign him and Barnes both to nice contracts. Suddenly we have very tradable assets to continue growing the team. But the reality is that I need to realize Vivek will never spend. He is who we thought he was. Hiring Monte and getting out of the way is the best we can ever hope for with this type of an owner.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#170 » by blind prophet » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:48 pm

Looks like Barton is getting bought out.

I think it was Jason Ross in the morning, followed later by Deuce & Mo that mentioned him. So I'll wager they may have heard something from within the organization. Doesn't mean we will secure his services or he'd be interested.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#171 » by blind prophet » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:50 pm

Anyone annoyed by not making a move now is "correct" because of our previous use of second round picks.

We typically have plenty, then Vivek sells them for cash or trades back for cash.

It would be different if we actually constistantly used them and drafted to some degree of success in the second round.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#172 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:01 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:This seems like a generous amount of cope from some Kings fans.

Trading 2nd round picks for guys like Bryant, Bey, Plumlee, Richardson has nothing to do with wanting to go from a playoff team to a contender. This was about trying to secure a top 6 seed.

Pelicans, lakers, Clippers, Suns, Dallas, Memphis, Denver, Warriors, Wolves all made trades to get better. From KD, to Josh Richardson. Not many Kings fans were banking on Siakam or KD. But we have many future incoming 2nds. To think we couldn't shore up the backup wing or or backup center is pathetic.

Maybe it means nothing, maybe we fall to the 8th seed and play GS/LA in the play-ins and fall out of the playoffs.

And no... Buy out guys will not come sign in Sac. They will head to Milwaukee, LA, Miami, Phx like they always do.

Let’s be clear about one thing.

The guys that actually have real value and can be with you beyond a 30 game run to a playoff berth actually didn’t just go for seconds. They were traded for another player and generally one that fit the precise need of that team. So likely they weren’t interested in our cast offs or a pack of second round picks.

Right now both Terrence Ross and Will Barton are being bought out. Nerlens Noel is likely to be as well.

These are ideal guys for a playoff run. And they would fit well.

Let’s wait and see what the whole plan is.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#173 » by City of Trees » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:40 pm

codydaze wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

Does that work financially? I don't think so
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#174 » by City of Trees » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:44 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

Guys, we just gave up 128 pts to the Rockets and got lucky that Eric Gordon bailed us out. What am I missing here? Beyond Monk/Lyles and the occasional game where Davis looks good our bench is awful. We have been EXTREMELY fortunate that while the entire West has dealt with injuries (and yes I mean the entire west), we have for the most part not had a single big injury.

So yes, maybe if we continue to stay healthy trading for Bey/Plumlee only adds 1-2 wins. But what it does is also give us insurance for when any one of our starters can't play.

I mean come on, the Pelicans have Ingram, Marshall, Herb, Murphy, Daniels and are infinitely deeper at the wing than us, and they still found good value getting Richardson.

But I should be happy that we have all these extra 2nds, and then cheer when Monte inevitably sells them for cash and future 2nds. Makes sense.

Further, this is how good teams build up their salary and are able to continue trading for better players. We trade for Bey and then resign him and Barnes both to nice contracts. Suddenly we have very tradable assets to continue growing the team. But the reality is that I need to realize Vivek will never spend. He is who we thought he was. Hiring Monte and getting out of the way is the best we can ever hope for with this type of an owner.
After the dust settles Its essentially a 4 team trade

Det- Wiseman

ATL- Bey

GS- Payton II

POR- Knox/ ATL 2nds
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#175 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:45 pm

City of Trees wrote:
codydaze wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

It did in the fanspo trade checker at least.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#176 » by City of Trees » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:48 pm

codydaze wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
codydaze wrote:

It did in the fanspo trade checker at least.
I was under the impression it wouldn't. If it does then yes I'll agree they should have given up TD and 2nds for Plumlee
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#177 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:53 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:This seems like a generous amount of cope from some Kings fans.

Let’s be clear about one thing.

The guys go actually have real value and can be with you beyond a 30 game run to a playoff berth actually didn’t just go for seconds. They were traded for another player and generally one that fit the precise need of that team. So likely they weren’t interested in our cast offs or a pack of second round picks.

Right now both Terrence Ross and Will Barton are being bought out. Nerlens Noel is likely to be as well.

These are ideal guys for a playoff run. And they would fit well.

Let’s wait and see what the whole plan is.

Do you think those guys would consider signing in Sac?

PHX and Denver are sitting there with worse benches than ours, and legit championship aspirations. I see anyone worth mentioning in the buyout market heading to Milwaukee, LA, Denver, PHX, Miami
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#178 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:57 pm

City of Trees wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:

Det- Wiseman

ATL- Bey

GS- Payton II

POR- Knox/ ATL 2nds

Sure, but GP was again re-routed and not in the initial trade.

The initial trade was Wiseman for Bey and Knox

Then GS routed Bey to ATL for 5 2nds

Then GS took those 5 2nds and traded them and Knox for GPII

At the end of the day, it cost ATL nothing but 2nds to acquire Bey which is really all that matters.

I would have give 6 future 2nds for Bey without blinking and then laughed about it. That's a 23 year old forward with 1 cheap year left. He's been stuck on the Detroit AAU basketball team, but has plenty of potential to be a long term steal.

And again ATL had Bogdan, Griffin, Collins, Hunter, Johnson all playing the 3/4 and still went and got more depth. We have Murray/Barnes/Lyles with Davis playing out of position to help at times.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#179 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:13 am

City of Trees wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:

Det- Wiseman

ATL- Bey

GS- Payton II

POR- Knox/ ATL 2nds

Proving the point that everyone moved and received a PLAYER who is actually PLAYABLE or has potential in the eye of the beholder (Wiseman) and all have about $10 million in salary that has to be exchanged and desired by the receiving team.

In that range we have Holmes - which none of them were interested in - or a two player aggregate that would have required anyone to open a roster spot first.

We weren’t getting in on that deal for any of those guys. Similar situation with other guys that moved as an actual salary and roster spot.

The fact is that we are JUST starting to do well and build player value here. GM’s don’t just buy right into that. Summer or next deadline we are far more likely to be in the thick of things and active because we will have more depth and player value in the roster that is sought out.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#180 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:17 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Det- Wiseman

ATL- Bey

GS- Payton II

POR- Knox/ ATL 2nds

Proving the point that everyone moved and received a PLAYER who is actually PLAYABLE or has potential in the eye of the beholder (Wiseman) and all have about $10 million in salary that has to be exchanged and desired by the receiving team.

In that range we have Holmes - which none of them were interested in - or a two player aggregate that would have required anyone to open a roster spot first.

We weren’t getting in on that deal for any of those guys. Similar situation with other guys that moved as an actual salary and roster spot.

The fact is that we are JUST starting to do well and build player value here. GM’s don’t just buy right into that. Summer or next deadline we are far more likely to be in the thick of things and active because we will have more depth and player value in the roster that is sought out.

What are you even talking about.

I'll repeat. The Hawks gave nothing of value in the deal except 5 2nds.

Bey makes less than 3 million per season.

Nothing here proves anything you said. If the Kings offered 6 2nds for Bey instead of ATL's 5, they would have been in the deal.

Return to Sacramento Kings