Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Re: 2022-2023 Trade thread 

Post#201 » by KF10 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:12 am

Time to look at the buyout market.

Davion has great defensive fundamentals but his size limits his potential defensive impact.

His offense isn’t at par yet.

Monte should start looking hard at a back up PG and wing/or back up C.
Kabaum
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#202 » by Kabaum » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:03 pm

KF10 wrote:Time to look at the buyout market.

Davion has great defensive fundamentals but his size limits his potential defensive impact.

His offense isn’t at par yet.

Monte should start looking hard at a back up PG and wing/or back up C.

Who's available from the buyout market? Is Pistons going to let go of Noel with Wiseman now there?
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,784

Post#203 » by BoogieTime » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:32 am

Starting next year I’d have Huerter at the 3. His advanced stats were blazing there in Atlanta, and he he really struggles too much at the two. Meaning no more inconsistent/old Barnes most likely
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,615

Post#204 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:55 pm

How are we feeling about Kevin Love? Says he wants a contender, so probably unlikely. But our defense is already trash, and he's still a capable shooter/passer while being an above average rebounder. Imagine he would take Metu's spot.

Fox - Monk - Davis - Love - Lyles running the bench unit with a 5 out set. Adds another guy who can facilitate from the elbow when we need it, and improves our bench rebounding.

I've never liked Love, but for free id definitely try to see if he would consider a return to Cali.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#205 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:04 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Starting next year I’d have Huerter at the 3. His advanced stats were blazing there in Atlanta, and he he really struggles too much at the two. Meaning no more inconsistent/old Barnes most likely

Mentioned this is the general thread, I think the answer is Grant Williams. If we run with Huerter/Murray/Sabonis front court our defense is going to continue to be pathetic regardless who plays the 2.

Id throw whatever money we are planning for Barnes at Grant Williams day 1. This is a guy who shoots 41% from 3, plays good defense, and is versatile enough to guard multiple positions.

Id even try to turn Holmes/Mitchell into air. Then sign Williams and potentially resign Barnes for a bench role if they want continuity.

Fox - Huerter - Murray - Williams - Sabonis
Monk - Davis - Barnes - Lyles
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#206 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:38 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Starting next year I’d have Huerter at the 3. His advanced stats were blazing there in Atlanta, and he he really struggles too much at the two. Meaning no more inconsistent/old Barnes most likely

Mentioned this is the general thread, I think the answer is Grant Williams. If we run with Huerter/Murray/Sabonis front court our defense is going to continue to be pathetic regardless who plays the 2.

Id throw whatever money we are planning for Barnes at Grant Williams day 1. This is a guy who shoots 41% from 3, plays good defense, and is versatile enough to guard multiple positions.

Id even try to turn Holmes/Mitchell into air. Then sign Williams and potentially resign Barnes for a bench role if they want continuity.

Fox - Huerter - Murray - Williams - Sabonis
Monk - Davis - Barnes - Lyles

Tough thing with Grant is he's a RFA and I think Boston really likes him. Maybe they'd be open to a S&T but I think it will be tough to steal him outright. He would be a great get though.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#207 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:57 pm

codydaze wrote:Tough thing with Grant is he's a RFA and I think Boston really likes him. Maybe they'd be open to a S&T but I think it will be tough to steal him outright. He would be a great get though.

It would certainly take an overpay. Maybe even something like 4/80

Celtics sitting at 163 million on the books for next year. Plus they've developed Hauser and would have Gallo coming back next year.

Plus its the Celtics, so my thinking is applying pressure with a big contract for Williams, maybe they just decide to use the Tax payers MLE as insurance for Gallo.

Horford/Robert Williams/Muscala
Tatum/Gallo/Craig
Brown/Hauser/Craig
White/Brogdon
Smart/Brogdon

Maybe even a S&T where we create a nice TPE for them and throw them a bunch of 2nds. I would be totally fine with that.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#208 » by BoogieTime » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:34 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:Tough thing with Grant is he's a RFA and I think Boston really likes him. Maybe they'd be open to a S&T but I think it will be tough to steal him outright. He would be a great get though.

Celtics sitting at 163 million on the books for next year. Plus they've developed Hauser and would have Gallo coming back next year.

Plus its the Celtics, so my thinking is applying pressure with a big contract for Williams, maybe they just decide to use the Tax payers MLE as insurance for Gallo.

Tatum/Gallo/Craig
Brown/Hauser/Craig
White/Brogdon
Smart/Brogdon

Maybe even a S&T where we create a nice TPE for them and throw them a bunch of 2nds. I would be totally fine with that.

I think a lot of the league will be after him, I wouldn’t count on such an auspicious signing. Our perimeter D sucks as much, and if your not benching Huerter, might suit him better there but the front court D is bad too. I’ve read that Huerter was actually positive defensively at the three which boggles my mind seeing him guard SG, but it may just take time for him to improve
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#209 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:54 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Tatum/Gallo/Craig
Brown/Hauser/Craig
White/Brogdon
Smart/Brogdon

I think a lot of the league will be after him, I wouldn’t count on such an auspicious signing. Our perimeter D sucks as much, and if your not benching Huerter, might suit him better there but the front court D is bad too. I’ve read that Huerter was actually positive defensively at the three which boggles my mind seeing him guard SG, but it may just take time for him to improve

Well this was always my biggest issue with the team. It's really hard to imagine any roster starting Fox - Huerter - Murray - Sabonis a positive defensive team unless the 5th is Giannis. But you absolutely have to try. Resigning Barnes and running it back is a bad plan.

That said, in terms of teams with a need + cap space, I think there aren't that many teams going after Williams.

Kings
Pacers
OKC
Boston

Between these teams I think we can make a compelling argument (same as Indiana) that we have an immediate plug and play starting lineup where he can focus on 3&D.

Teams like Houston, Spurs, Utah, Detroit are likely too far away to focus on a guy like him.
Orlando has too many 3/4s as is
Dallas/Lakers/Portland will want to resign their own guys or chase bigger fish
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Post#210 » by OxAndFox » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:14 am

Grant Williams would be a decent get for sure and now is the time to do it contract wise with this team. Would still like to ink Lyles to a contract as well. He could be a fairly cheap guy to keep around for the long term. Retaining Barnes would be great as well along with a defensive 5.
That would give the Kings Sabonis/Williams/Murray/Barnes/Lyles/D-5 as your main big rotation.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#211 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:15 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Tatum/Gallo/Craig
Brown/Hauser/Craig
White/Brogdon
Smart/Brogdon

Well this was always my biggest issue with the team. It's really hard to imagine any roster starting Fox - Huerter - Murray - Sabonis a positive defensive team unless the 5th is Giannis. But you absolutely have to try. Resigning Barnes and running it back is a bad plan.

That said, in terms of teams with a need + cap space, I think there aren't that many teams going after Williams.

Kings
Pacers
OKC
Boston

Between these teams I think we can make a compelling argument (same as Indiana) that we have an immediate plug and play starting lineup where he can focus on 3&D.

Teams like Houston, Spurs, Utah, Detroit are likely too far away to focus on a guy like him.

I agree that Williams market for what HE wants will not be very big.

Celts have danced by that tax level for a while and shown they don’t want it. They won’t match a big number and would be all over creating a TPE to go after another guy.

Huerter works at SF because he’s long and vertically athletic but still strong. Laterally is where he suffers and that’s why he has trouble guarding quicker SG’s or big PG’s. But on the flip if you have a true PF like Williams and run Keegan at SF, then you have a really big long lineup across the board.

I’m ready to move in from Barnes honestly. He’s nothing but cap space to me.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#212 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:03 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Kings
Pacers
OKC
Boston

I agree that Williams market for what HE wants will not be very big.

Celts have danced by that tax level for a while and shown they don’t want it. They won’t match a big number and would be all over creating a TPE to go after another guy.

Huerter works at SF because he’s long and vertically athletic but still strong. Laterally is where he suffers and that’s why he has trouble guarding quicker SG’s or big PG’s. But on the flip if you have a true PF like Williams and run Keegan at SF, then you have a really big long lineup across the board.

I’m ready to move in from Barnes honestly. He’s nothing but cap space to me.

I'll always have a soft spot for Barnes. He's a true pro who has never complained and always supported Sac. But I agree, it's time for a change. This is a pivotal summer for Sac, this is a chance to make a splash before having to pay Sabonis big money. Grant would be awesome.

Trading Holmes, davion, our 2023 1st, future 1sts is another package we could put together. Ideally for another forward on a decent mid end contract.

Might be our last year of real flexibility while building around Fox/Sabonis. Can't watch it go to waste.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#213 » by OxAndFox » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:43 am

Understand everyone's focus is on the end of the season and POs. But, I posed this question on the Trade Board. Who is the next Red Velvet, in terms of buy low and have a career season.
I think we now know Monte's MO for the most part. Buy low, 26/27 yo or under, good character, Is anything else I'm missing?
So, who do you think could be Monte's next target?
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#214 » by BoogieTime » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:00 am

OxAndFox wrote:Understand everyone's focus is on the end of the season and POs. But, I posed this question on the Trade Board. Who is the next Red Velvet, in terms of buy low and have a career season.
I think we now know Monte's MO for the most part. Buy low, 26/27 yo or under, good character, Is anything else I'm missing?

The question looked like you were overstating about Huerter, who is just a solid role player that is otherwise unremarkable to most nba fans

There are lots of players who are moved every summer or trade season that fit the bill of solid role player moving to another team
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#215 » by OxAndFox » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:15 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:Understand everyone's focus is on the end of the season and POs. But, I posed this question on the Trade Board. Who is the next Red Velvet, in terms of buy low and have a career season.

The question looked like you were overstating about Huerter, who is just a solid role player that is otherwise unremarkable to most nba fans

There are lots of players who are moved every summer or trade season that fit the bill of solid role player moving to another team

Yeah I do agree with that, but I think he has played an integral role in the Kings moving up the standings. His recent missed games magnified what he means to this group IMO. Should have been clearer in terms of, they're not stars, but will play important roles.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#216 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:42 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Tatum/Gallo/Craig
Brown/Hauser/Craig
White/Brogdon
Smart/Brogdon

Actually it comes as no surprise at all to me.

Despite his length, Huerter does not have lateral speed necessary to guard the faster SG’s. But he does have the size and length to stay with SF’s.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#217 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:51 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Tatum/Gallo/Craig
Brown/Hauser/Craig
White/Brogdon
Smart/Brogdon

Kings
Pacers
OKC
Boston

Cannot see the Pacers or OKC doing an overpay for Williams who while he will be a good and solid starter with a lineup like ours where he fits pretty much ideally, he is not a star. And those teams both have a slough of young forwards they are developing. I think they would use that kind of money plus some to go after guys to fit with Hali and SGA as a complimentary star.

And honestly I cannot see Boston matching a big offer. They will be right back in an untenable tax situation and the penalties just became much worse. They might try to wrangle a S and T, but the thing is we don’t need to do that and I feel like Williams is a distinct upgrade from Barnes in this off-season.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#218 » by OxAndFox » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:40 pm

Personally, I have gone off Williams a bit. And if the thinking is we would be better off with Heurter at the 3 then what options are there for a 2 that is a decent defender and can shoot from the outside?

Having said that it seems like Monte is trying to get more length on this team so leaving Huerter at the 2 is a possibility.
I also wouldn't be surprised if Monte uses Heurter as part of a package for an upgrade somewhere. Buy low on Kev and sell high.
I don't think he will trade Fox/Sabonis/Murray/Monk.
So that leaves Huerter/Davion/Holmes/Kessler and the pick. It's not much of a package for sure in different combinations.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#219 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:13 am

I doubt the roster looks much different next year. They will probably bring over Vezenkov and re-sign "old faithful" Barnes to 3/51.

Its pie in the sky IMO to think this team will be reeling in prime restricted FAs, unfortunately, and its not a FA magnet despite our increased success
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#220 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:20 pm

BoogieTime wrote:I doubt the roster looks much different next year. They will probably bring over Vezenkov and re-sign "old faithful" Barnes to 3/51.

Its pie in the sky IMO to think this team will be reeling in prime restricted FAs, unfortunately, and its not a FA magnet despite our increased success

You make a good point.

Even in contention years it was trades that brought most of our premier players here.

That being said, with the tightening up of the repeater tax and taxpayer MLE rule, there will be more ex-contenders looking to unload money and retool/rebuild. We will have to see what is available on the trade market as well as the FA market and what is the best fit.

I can also see Monty finding a SG at 24 in the draft that can either be another guy who is already mature (JR or SR from one of the top tourney teams) or has shown good maturity of fame and growth that slides in family seamlessly the way Keegan did onto a now established team to allow Huerter to move over.

Return to Sacramento Kings