ImageImageImageImageImage

22-23 General Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Re: 22-23 General Thread 

Post#101 » by OxAndFox » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:33 pm

It is a great start post ASB. Honestly, I don't mind, whatever seed we are, playing any of the teams. It's going to be great for experience and it will give Monte further data to know what we need as a team to move forward.
TyFrekey
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#102 » by TyFrekey » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:19 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:Updating:

codydaze wrote:Sacramento needs to go 10-12 (.455) the rest of the way to finish with 45 wins. For the teams below us, 4 need to jump us for us to not finish top 6. To match 45 wins they would need to finish:

Clippers 12-8 (.600) [2-1]
Phoenix 12-8 (.600) [0-2]
Dallas 13-7 (.650) [1-1]
Warriors 15-7 (.682) [1-2]
Wolves 14-6 (.700) [1-1]
Jazz 14-6 (.700) [2-0]
Pelicans 15-6 (.714) [0-1]
Blazers 17-6 (.739) [1-1]
Lakers 16-5 (.762) [3-1]
Thunder 17-5 (.773) [2-0]

What a start to post ASB. Team has to feel really good about 3-0, and very thankful about teams decisions to rest players/Zubac injury.

Expected a split between us and OKC but if Shai sits again that could be a great opportunity for us to grab another one.

LTB and lets go 3rd seed!

I've been on the "we're the 3rd seed because everything has gone right(ish) for us and poorly for everyone else" train all year. It feels like whenever we play teams, the stars align perfectly for certain wins with opposing injuries or crazy comebacks on our part, but starting with the split with Dallas (including winning the game Luka played) and to the last two road games that were very lose-able, I'm starting to come around.

Sure, Luka/Kyrie are still figuring out how to play together, the Clips were missing Zubac, and OKC didn't have Shai, but it feels like these games were ones we would've lost some of earlier this season when losing home games to Was, Cha, LAL. Kawhi put on a masterful performance and OKC stuck around long enough that their raucous crowd easily could've taken us off our game. Not to mention that the OKC game was coming off the mentally and physically exhausting 2OT in LA. I know I'm just rambling but it really feels like we're starting to learn how to push through and win in the face of adversity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,785

Post#103 » by BoogieTime » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:42 am

TyFrekey wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

What a start to post ASB. Team has to feel really good about 3-0, and very thankful about teams decisions to rest players/Zubac injury.

Expected a split between us and OKC but if Shai sits again that could be a great opportunity for us to grab another one.

I've been on the "we're the 3rd seed because everything has gone right(ish) for us and poorly for everyone else" train all year. It feels like whenever we play teams, the stars align perfectly for certain wins with opposing injuries or crazy comebacks on our part, but starting with the split with Dallas (including winning the game Luka played) and to the last two road games that were very lose-able, I'm starting to come around.

Sure, Luka/Kyrie are still figuring out how to play together, the Clips were missing Zubac, and OKC didn't have Shai, but it feels like these games were ones we would've lost some of earlier this season when losing home games to Was, Cha, LAL. Kawhi put on a masterful performance and OKC stuck around long enough that their raucous crowd easily could've taken us off our game. Not to mention that the OKC game was coming off the mentally and physically exhausting 2OT in LA. I know I'm just rambling but it really feels like we're starting to learn how to push through and win in the face of adversity.

all year we've been lucky with injuries both on our team and off. I think this year was this year to go from being bad to being competitive. I thought we'd be playin competitive. whether or not we are more I guess is arguable. im happy that we've taken the first step, perhaps next year we will be a legit top seed team
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#104 » by BoogieTime » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:51 am

not sure who id favor us against in the playoffs. to be favored for me we'd need the two seed and the playin team and it not be a warriors or lakers looking strong (at this point, maybe we go on a run here that changes my mind). not sure about facing the suns/clippers/mavericks. yes we just beat the clippers/mavericks but not sure we would do anything in a full series with them full strength and acquainted with each other

but this year its all about the experience. making the playoffs was the goal and first step
TyFrekey
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#105 » by TyFrekey » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:10 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
TyFrekey wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

all year we've been lucky with injuries both on our team and off. I think this year was this year to go from being bad to being competitive. I thought we'd be playin competitive. whether or not we are more I guess is arguable. im happy that we've taken the first step, perhaps next year we will be a legit top seed team
Yeah, we have gotten lucky, but I think over the course of 60 games you need more than luck to be the 3rd seed in the conference. At the end of the day there's some truth to the adage of only being able to play who's in front of you. Not to mention that every team in the NBA has talent and consistency is one of the things that makes a team good. And the same Clippers team we beat just took the top seeded and full strength Nuggets to overtime in Denver, who needed a 40-17-10 triple double from Jokic to get the win. I'll bet Denver isn't taking it with a grain of salt saying that they're just lucky Zubac wasn't playing.

Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#106 » by Lost in LA » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:25 pm

We also have the best road record in the conference, and that includes Denver.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,618

Post#107 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:06 pm

TyFrekey wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Ya I mean its pretty clear to anyone whose watching that this team when it plays at its full potential can beat just about anyone.

Fox has really taken a leap and solidified himself as a guy who can put a team on his back. I love Sabonis, but no question to me who is the leader/closer/most important player on this team.

The team chemistry has a lot to do with it also. That Clippers game was such a great example, so many times I thought it was over, but Fox/Monk wouldn't let it happen. Deferring to each other perfectly. I said it even when Monk went through his cold patch, he was irreplaceable on this team due to chemistry. Team is having fun and its amazing to watch
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#108 » by BoogieTime » Wed Mar 1, 2023 11:47 pm

A look back, it was reported by Keith Pompey, beat writer for the Sixers, that the Kings offered Haliburton/Hield/Barnes/2 firsts for Simmons/Thybulle/Harris, which the Sixers rejected.

We’d like to think McNair is a calculating mind, but it often comes down to luck. I personally was a fan of Simmons, but I’m not paid millions to make decisions. This would have been a detriment
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#109 » by City of Trees » Thu Mar 2, 2023 2:08 am

BoogieTime wrote:A look back, it was reported by Keith Pompey, beat writer for the Sixers, that the Kings offered Haliburton/Hield/Barnes/2 firsts for Simmons/Thybulle/Harris, which the Sixers rejected.

We’d like to think McNair is a calculating mind, but it often comes down to luck. I personally was a fan of Simmons, but I’m not paid millions to make decisions. This would have been a detriment
Kings would have pushed the streak to 20+ years.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#110 » by codydaze » Mon Mar 6, 2023 5:33 pm

Monday Update:

codydaze wrote:Sacramento needs to go 8-11 (.421) the rest of the way to finish with 45 wins. For the teams below us, 4 need to jump us for us to not finish top 6. To match 45 wins they would need to finish:

Phoenix....9-8 (.529) [0-2]
Warriors..11-6 (.647) [1-2]
Wolves....11-5 (.688) [1-2]
Dallas.....12-5 (.706) [1-1]
Clippers..11-4 (.733) [3-1]
Pelicans..14-4 (.778) [0-1]
Jazz.......14-3 (.824) [2-0]
Lakers.....14-3 (.824) [3-1]
Thunder...15-3 (.833) [3-0]
Blazers....15-3 (.833) [1-1]
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#111 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Mar 6, 2023 6:00 pm

codydaze wrote:Monday Update:

codydaze wrote:Sacramento needs to go 8-11 (.421) the rest of the way to finish with 45 wins. For the teams below us, 4 need to jump us for us to not finish top 6. To match 45 wins they would need to finish:

Doing work!

Of these teams I can still see the Suns/Warriors passing us if we finish with 45. Suns I think pass us either way. Of course those being the 2 teams along with Denver we absolutely need to avoid in the 1st round.

Best case is we continue to play top tier basketball and climb to 2nd seed (with Ja out), then play one of the Wolves/Mavs/Clippers. 2nd best is a 3/6 or 4/5 scenario against Memphis. Worst case is 4/5 against the healthy Warriors.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#112 » by codydaze » Mon Mar 6, 2023 6:12 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:

Doing work!

Of these teams I can still see the Suns/Warriors passing us if we finish with 45. Suns I think pass us either way. Of course those being the 2 teams along with Denver we absolutely need to avoid in the 1st round.

Best case is we continue to play top tier basketball and climb to 2nd seed (with Ja out), then play one of the Wolves/Mavs/Clippers. 2nd best is a 3/6 or 4/5 scenario against Memphis. Worst case is 4/5 against the healthy Warriors.

I think at this point we need to be pushing for 47 wins which is very doable.

We have three really tough games left against Milwaukee, Boston and Denver. That Denver game is the last of the season though so hopefully they may be resting some guys with the 1 seed locked up. Would be ideal to win 2 of these games, but I'll take 1.

Then we have games against New York, Chicago, Brooklyn, Washington and San Antonio. It doesn't feel right including the Knicks here with how they've been playing but that is a more manageable game than those top three teams. From this group I'm looking for 3 wins.

With 4 wins against the teams outside of this West gauntlet, it would leave us needing 6 wins against them to hit 47 on the season. If you can take care of business and win the 2 left against Utah, you would need 4 wins from this group of games remaining: Phoenix (x2), Golden State, Minnesota, Dallas, New Orleans (x2), Portland (x2).

I think 47 wins is a lock for the 3/4 seed and it would be awesome to have HCA. Golden 1 Center would be absolutely insane.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#113 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Mar 6, 2023 6:27 pm

codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Doing work!

I think at this point we need to be pushing for 47 wins which is very doable.

We have three really tough games left against Milwaukee, Boston and Denver. That Denver game is the last of the season though so hopefully they may be resting some guys with the 1 seed locked up. Would be ideal to win 2 of these games, but I'll take 1.

Then we have games against New York, Chicago, Brooklyn, Washington and San Antonio. It doesn't feel right including the Knicks here with how they've been playing but that is a more manageable game than those top three teams. From this group I'm looking for 3 wins.

With 4 wins against the teams outside of this West gauntlet, it would leave us needing 6 wins against them to hit 47 on the season. If you can take care of business and win the 2 left against Utah, you would need 4 wins from this group of games remaining: Phoenix (x2), Golden State, Minnesota, Dallas, New Orleans (x2), Portland (x2).

I think 47 wins is a lock for the 3/4 seed and it would be awesome to have HCA. Golden 1 Center would be absolutely insane.

Ya Denver resting would be a blessing for us. Maybe one favor from Mike Malone to end the season?

That next 5 you mentioned, 3 should be a minimum, really want 4 from that group considering SA SHOULD be a lock.

All of that starts with tonight. Need to beat a Pelicans team that hasn't been very good lately. Once again they are missing quite a few rotation players, they absolutely need to handle business and not let down like we did last time.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#114 » by OxAndFox » Mon Mar 6, 2023 10:33 pm

Great job.

Depending on the JA situation I could see the Suns jumping to 2 and Grizzlies falling to 4. Don't think the Warriors
Maybe with Brooks back and Adams returning soon, they might right the ship.
The Grizz are on a 2 game losing "streak" and have the Lakers and Warriors in the next 2.

Either way the Kings have their destiny in their own hands. I agree with Light The Beam, it all starts with this game against the Pels.
Let's see if the staff releases the D to get outside of the lane and stop the wide-open 3s because this Pels team can light it up. They might only be ranked #21 on the season, but CJ and BI. Enough said.
Want to see more of Kessler Edwards in this one, going up against BI. Rotate Keegan/Barnes/Edwards/Lyles between the 3/4 the entire way.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#115 » by codydaze » Wed Mar 8, 2023 5:48 am

Grizzlies lose and since we split the season series, the tiebreaker is conference record which we have a 5 game lead in. We are the current 2 seed in the west. Absolutely wild.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#116 » by KF10 » Wed Mar 8, 2023 5:53 am

Memphis is trending down. The Kings need to take advantage of this. Especially when the Suns are picking up steam behind us.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#117 » by City of Trees » Wed Mar 8, 2023 6:13 am

Thursday TNT double header will be fun

GS @ Mem 4:30pm
Sac vs NYK 7:00pm

Let's gooooo
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#118 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Mar 8, 2023 6:42 pm

Teams behind us keep losing. Something really wrong in GS. Steph goes 10-16 from 3, drops 40pts and they lose by 10 to OKC?

Can't imagine Ja really comes back after 2 games, and that team is going to slide without him. The story of them being just as good last year, but this doesn't feel like the same team.

Dallas, Clippers, Minnesota can't seem to string together 2 good games in a row. And at this point we are 5 games ahead of every other team except Phx/Memphis.

15-18 games left (depending on the team) with a 5 game lead? I'm really starting to believe top 4 in the West is in the cards! Hope I don't jinx it.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#119 » by City of Trees » Wed Mar 8, 2023 10:47 pm

Kings next three games: Knicks, Suns, Bucks. Can't go 0-3
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#120 » by OxAndFox » Wed Mar 8, 2023 11:26 pm

Just need 1 of the next 3 and I will be happy. Get this rough part of the schedule out of the way and it gets a little better.
Still believe the last 4 games will say a lot about where the Kings finish. NOP (A), Dall (A), GS (H), Den (A).

Realistically I think the team can finish with 48 wins which means a top 4 position and home court against GS or Dallas.

Return to Sacramento Kings