ImageImageImageImageImage

The Keegan Murray thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,787

The Keegan Murray thread 

Post#1 » by BoogieTime » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:02 am

So, we have went from the guy supposedly being in the ROY conversation to him being unplayable and looking like a total blank, not good at any area of the game and not bringing energy. His advanced stats are bad, he's hurting the team, he should be benched IMO, and his morass keeps growing.

First what is the cause? There is obviously something mentally amiss, as he moves without energy and deliberation at this point. If its confidence, how does this not affect his game at any point in the future, and how is it not an innate trait? If we're kind and say that he still suffering personal issues, how do we know that any future off the court issues won't again derail him? Or are we seeing a guy who is just a bust who doesn't like basketball?

At what point do you bench him, and would a win now team hedge more future and deal him at this point?

To me I'd be starting KZ Okpala, and moving Keegan back to the bench where he can get some reps

But at this point I'm really, really disliking this kids game and he is really annoying me if you guys cant tell by my posts. Been totally underwhelming for his draft position, and if he were playing as originally projected we might have several more wins

I thought I would thread this so as to reduce the amount of posts about this from me or maybe others in the game thread
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 639

Re: The Keegan Murray concern thread 

Post#2 » by sackings916 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:11 am

I would pump the brakes on pressing the panic button for now, it’s pretty standard for rookies to have ups and downs throughout their rookie year. How many 3s has he had rattle around the rim in the last week or 2? His bad play is probably a combination of things. His confidence has probably taken a hit and he’s maybe second guessing himself, teams have scouted him and doing things to make him uncomfortable, also looks to be adjusting to the speed of the game. I think you let him play thru this and try to build his confidence.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#3 » by BoogieTime » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:12 am

And let me say, his lack of development would set the franchise back tremendously.

Huerter/Monk are solid additions, and Mike Brown can do some coaching, but going from the dream of what this guy showed in SL/preseason of borderline all star material next to Sabonis to fizzling out if he were to do so or becoming just a player, I mean sets the unit back, a lot. You'd need to find a lot of quality to make up for that.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#4 » by BoogieTime » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:15 am

sackings916 wrote:I would pump the brakes on pressing the panic button for now, it’s pretty standard for rookies to have ups and downs throughout their rookie year. How many 3s has he had rattle around the rim in the last week or 2? His bad play is probably a combination of things. His confidence has probably taken a hit and he’s maybe second guessing himself, teams have scouted him and doing things to make him uncomfortable, also looks to be adjusting to the speed of the game. I think you let him play thru this and try to build his confidence.

Yeah, its a tricky thing at what point you bench him, and a lot of viewpoints on it.

If he doesn't come out of what funk he's in soon, and you wait til damn near half the season to bench him, thats so many games in the west. And arguably the hole keeps getting deeper, not the other way in terms of effectiveness from him

I think Mike Brown knew more than we did about why he wasnt starting in the first place..... and he was forced to by some of Keegan's initial games.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,176

Post#5 » by OxAndFox » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:31 am

BoogieTime wrote:So, we have went from the guy supposedly being in the ROY conversation to him being unplayable and looking like a total blank, not good at any area of the game and not bringing energy. His advanced stats are bad, he's hurting the team, he should be benched IMO, and his morass keeps growing.

First what is the cause? There is obviously something mentally amiss, as he moves without energy and deliberation at this point. If its confidence, how does this not affect his game at any point in the future, and how is it not an innate trait? If we're kind and say that he still suffering personal issues, how do we know that any future off the court issues won't again derail him? Or are we seeing a guy who is just a bust who doesn't like basketball?

At what point do you bench him, and would a win now team hedge more future and deal him at this point?

To me I'd be starting KZ Okpala, and moving Keegan back to the bench where he can get some reps

But at this point I'm really, really disliking this kids game and he is really annoying me if you guys cant tell by my posts. Been totally underwhelming for his draft position, and if he were playing as originally projected we might have several more wins

I thought I would thread this so as to reduce the amount of posts about this from me or maybe others in the game thread

What wins has he costed the Kings?

I get you are a what have you done for me lately person. We should go 82-0 and everyone should be 100 all the time. There's ALWAYS someone not performing on a team, that's how it is.
You know what though? Life happens. This kid is clearly shook, what his grandmother falling ill at HIS game has done to him has hit him more than we can imagine.
The shot will come back, that's the easy thing.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong in terms of putting Keegan on the bench or anything like that. I think perhaps the Kings have underestimated the impact that event has had on him. They know they're a tight-knit family. They really should have made him leave the team for a week and then made a reassessment after that.
Before someone says his brother doesn't seem to be hampered, yes he isn't. Becase IMO it's more about it happening at Keegan's game.

For now though, I think we can all agree that Keegan will turn out just fine and he is your new Fox.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#6 » by BoogieTime » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:26 am

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:So, we have went from the guy supposedly being in the ROY conversation to him being unplayable and looking like a total blank, not good at any area of the game and not bringing energy. His advanced stats are bad, he's hurting the team, he should be benched IMO, and his morass keeps growing.

What wins has he costed the Kings?

I get you are a what have you done for me lately person. We should go 82-0 and everyone should be 100 all the time. There's ALWAYS someone not performing on a team, that's how it is.
You know what though? Life happens. This kid is clearly shook, what his grandmother falling ill at HIS game has done to him has hit him more than we can imagine.
The shot will come back, that's the easy thing.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong in terms of putting Keegan on the bench or anything like that. I think perhaps the Kings have underestimated the impact that event has had on him. They know they're a tight-knit family. They really should have made him leave the team for a week and then made a reassessment after that.
Before someone says his brother doesn't seem to be hampered, yes he isn't. Becase IMO it's more about it happening at Keegan's game.

For now though, I think we can all agree that Keegan will turn out just fine and he is your new Fox.

Uh, someone who was supposed to be a viable ROY candidate can hardly play, what does that have to do with someone “needing to be 100 all the time”

Fox was my Fox because he was terrible on the floor pre Hali trade last year, so Keegan will be that til that ceases too.

Off court family issues like that happen to everyone, across all fields of work. If everyone who was dealing with a grandparent falling ill (or close to that) lost their games there would be a lot players having bad seasons, and a lot of people being fired in the real world. If we were being extremely generous and chalking this up to that, will you have to worry from now on if anything happens off court that he won’t do his job for an extended stretch?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#7 » by City of Trees » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:15 am

Oh boy ..
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#8 » by BoogieTime » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:15 pm

Also, it’s as much as if his trajectory has already changed in your mind?

If he was projected as a borderline all star caliber player, and your confident at this stage he will be a solid role player, that still hurts the team
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#9 » by blind prophet » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:03 am

I'm not worried/concerned yet.

Guys like Papa G like I insta knew he'd bust. Thought Bagley would bust too after seeing him always have to go left and be a defensive matador. Maybe 20 games into his rookie year.

I don't get any bust vibes from Keegan.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#10 » by OxAndFox » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:46 am

blind prophet wrote:I'm not worried/concerned yet.

Guys like Papa G like I insta knew he'd bust. Thought Bagley would bust too after seeing him always have to go left and be a defensive matador. Maybe 20 games into his rookie year.

Well, it's clear to anyone/everyone that knows ball that he will be fine.
He needs to lose the puppy fat, and get a better handle and that will ensure he is in a much better place. Outside of that, nothing you can immediately do, it takes time and work to do that and that's in progress now.
He has a good work ethic so you know he's putting in the reps. It will turn in his/Kings' favor.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#11 » by BoogieTime » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:07 am

OxAndFox wrote:

He needs to lose the puppy fat, and get a better handle and that will ensure he is in a much better place. Outside of that, nothing you can immediately do, it takes time and work to do that and that's in progress now.
He has a good work ethic so you know he's putting in the reps. It will turn in his/Kings' favor.

Don't be a troll, and respect others opinions. One can say its only clear to homers that for sure he will be "fine". We just know he's far off the ROY candidate expectations that were in place for an older 4th pick, and the reasons for that, be they talent or character or confidence or whatever is the discussion.

No need for dumb pot shots
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#12 » by OxAndFox » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:25 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Don't be a troll, and respect others opinions. Only clear to homers that for sure he will be fine. We just know he's far off the ROY candidate expectations that were in place for an older 4th pick, and the reasons for that, be they talent or character or confidence or whatever is the discussion.

Not a potshot. Wasn't talking about you. Don't be so defensive. You're a shock jock we all know. If I was talking about you I would say so.
I think deep down you KNOW he will be right. It's just you NEED to be on someone on a team at ALL times so you seem relevant.

Waiting on the Kevin Huerter antics, then it will be back to Barnes, then Davion, then Monk, etc. Like I said in a previous post, not all players can be at 100% all the time, so you're going to have players on all teams that aren't producing at every stage of the season. Not 1 team in the history of the NBA has every player played well every single game.

Also, why are you harping on ROY? Is it because you want it more than anything? Kings fans are just happy the team is doing well.
If you want ROY, do I need to introduce Tyreke Evans to you? You would have been a person that thought he was the next superstar the way you go about things. Don't bother replying to that, we know it's too easy.
Oh, you haven't also addressed the comment that he (Murray) has cost Sacramento wins this season. Care to let everyone know which games?

C'mon man, settle down and enjoy the games, win or lose. The Kings are competitive. There are areas that need addressing absolutely, but to get so worked up and just bash one guy at a time is pointless.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#13 » by BoogieTime » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:34 am

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Don't be a troll, and respect others opinions. Only clear to homers that for sure he will be fine. We just know he's far off the ROY candidate expectations that were in place for an older 4th pick, and the reasons for that, be they talent or character or confidence or whatever is the discussion.

Not a potshot. Wasn't talking about you. Don't be so defensive. You're a shock jock we all know. If I was talking about you I would say so.
I think deep down you KNOW he will be right. It's just you NEED to be on someone on a team at ALL times so you seem relevant.

Waiting on the Kevin Huerter antics, then it will be back to Barnes, then Davion, then Monk, etc. Like I said in a previous post, not all players can be at 100% all the time, so you're going to have players on all teams that aren't producing at every stage of the season. Not 1 team in the history of the NBA has every player played well every single game.

Also, why are you harping on ROY? Is it because you want it more than anything? Kings fans are just happy the team is doing well.
If you want ROY, do I need to introduce Tyreke Evans to you? You would have been a person that thought he was the next superstar the way you go about things. Don't bother replying to that, we know it's too easy.
Oh, you haven't also addressed the comment that he (Murray) has cost Sacramento wins this season. Care to let everyone know which games?

C'mon man, settle down and enjoy the games, win or lose. The Kings are competitive. There are areas that need addressing absolutely, but to get so worked up and just bash one guy at a time is pointless.

I know deep down he will eventually be a solid role player.

Thats a far cry from coming into the season thinking for sure he will be one of the three players that will carry this team back to relevance that I thought a month and half ago.

Why do I care about that? Because its the difference between this team being very good or not. And if the team isn't significantly good by next year Sabonis can bounce and the entire house of cards falls down. Maybe if Sabonis were on a rookie contract, we'd have more time to make this work.

The team has lost by 5 or less how many times? They just did it tonight. First off the hope is he was going to be a good player this year as a "high floor" 4th pick and putting up late 17/9/2? nightly and be impactful. The team may have just won against the Suns if he were that player.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#14 » by OxAndFox » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:49 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Thats a far cry from coming into the season thinking for sure he will be one of the three players that will carry this team back to relevance that I thought a month and half ago.

Why do I care about that? Because its the difference between this team being very good or not. And if the team isn't significantly good by next year Sabonis can bounce and the entire house of cards falls down. Maybe if Sabonis were on a rookie contract, we'd have more time to make this work.

The team has lost by 5 or less how many times? They just did it tonight. First off the hope is he was going to be a good player this year as a "high floor" 4th pick and putting up late 17/9/2? nightly and be impactful. The team may have just won against the Suns if he were that player.

Your feelings are on you. Not him. Perhaps anyone thinking he was ROY was under the assumption the Kings weren't a good team?
Then all of a sudden, the Kings are a team that not only has PO ambitions but has the record to back it up so they won't let a rookie get away with mistakes.

But this is the kicker, IF he were putting up 17/9/2 on the season and they beat the Suns and lifted in the standings are you trying to suggest he is closing on an AS as a rookie?

Because you realize it's only Jokic and AD that are averaging 17/9 or more at the moment. SMH
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#15 » by BoogieTime » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:00 am

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Your feelings are on you. Not him. Perhaps anyone thinking he was ROY was under the assumption the Kings weren't a good team?
Then all of a sudden, the Kings are a team that not only has PO ambitions but has the record to back it up so they won't let a rookie get away with mistakes.

But this is the kicker, IF he were putting up 17/9/2 on the season and they beat the Suns and lifted in the standings are you trying to suggest he is closing on an AS as a rookie?

Because you realize it's only Jokic and AD that are averaging 17/9 or more at the moment. SMH

Numbers were arbitrary, but suffice to say, he shouldn't be putting up 10/4 on bad efficiency. A lot more was expected of him. A 22 year old 4th pick should be being a factor and putting up 15/7+. He's just not on the trajectory as of today of the borderline all star we thought this past summer as of tonight

Maybe your expectations are different for his career
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#16 » by OxAndFox » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:24 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Numbers were arbitrary, but suffice to say, he shouldn't be putting up 10/4 on bad efficiency. A lot more was expected of him. A 22 year old 4th pick should be being a factor and putting up 15/7+. He's just not on the trajectory as of today of the borderline all star we thought this past summer as of tonight

Maybe your expectations are different for his career

I mean, please, go ahead and change the numbers that you presented to suit your narrative.

So now it's 15/7. Ok got it. And ugghhh if you're not an AS in your first season, you can make it in other seasons, right? You do know that players, even 22-year-olds can improve, yeah? Sorry I couldn't resist. It's like you cap players, no matter their age, at right now and that's it. Keegan Murray will lose the puppy fat in the next off-season and people will be amazed at his transformation, book it.

TBH if he got to somewhere like 13-14 PPG and 6-7 RPG and the Kings make the POs. He IS the ROY. He isn't far off those numbers now. Unless someone else plays a major role in helping their team from the basement to the cellar. Think Mathurin, Sharpe or someone like that. That would mean he helped guide the Kings out of the largest current PO drought in Pro sports.
If you're thinking that Banchero's stats should hold weight then great. I won't argue that. He is the #1 pick on a pretty poor team and he is going to be an extremely good player, be featured as a #1 option etc. The Kings couldn't have drafted him either. But if this kid can not only be a contributor on a PO team but learning other areas of his game in the meantime (Brown putting him on the opposing team's #1 option a lot of the time) then yeah I think he will be good, maybe not right now, but perhaps even by seasons end. Is he going to be the #1 option on the Kings? No, I don't think anyone would have or should have thought that, simply doesn't have the playmaking to do it at this level. He is going to be an elite shooter that is an absolute bucket. If he can become a good defensive player then you have yourself an AS 4-man. Simple as that.
So, if you want to call him, what 16 games into his career, a role player then fine, have at it.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,628

Post#17 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:03 pm

I think the expectations were a little high for this kid. He killed it in SL, Pre-Season, and October. People forgot he's a rookie with zero experience.

He is 22, but body wise he feels like he's still 18. Significantly behind where guys like Banchero, Ivey, Ben, and others from his class are. I think once he gets that under control we will see a 180 from his game. It's clear he possesses the tools needed to be a good player, he can shoot, he's smart, good cutter, unselfish.. It's just right now it feels that he's not quick or strong enough.

He's 20 games into his rookie campaign. With Fox, Monk, Huerter, Barnes, Sabonis, he is pretty much a spot up 3pt shooter. More games, experience, and conditioning and he should be able to impact the game more than just his shot.

I will say that his ceiling is looking more like high end role player than star, but that isn't the end of the world.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,865

Post#18 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Tue Jan 3, 2023 9:50 pm

Stop by to say congrats to you guys as Keegan just won rookie of the month for his December plays. It must be awesome watching him progress. Anyway, good luck to you guys the rest of the way, of course except against us. :)

Oh btw, there is a lot to be said about the rookie wall. I think sometimes we forget these kids are learning a whole new system, seeing different defensive looks that they are not used to, and getting used to the daily grind of the NBA. Have grace and mercy for these players. They are rookies, they are still learning.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#19 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jan 3, 2023 11:58 pm

While I appreciate the fact that Keegan's game is no longer in the state it was in when I made this thread, you would still have to say, macrocosmically, that his year has been disappointing.

I say that looking at it through the lens we saw it in this summer and preseason, when many of us thought we had a bonafide franchise piece going forward. Maybe its a lesson in the importance of summer league though, or maybe Keegan in his timid manner is going to take awhile to acclimate to the league.

He has shot well, but are we really celebrating him putting up 12/3 for the month? These just aren't the numbers we were hoping for a couple months ago.

The biggest question now surrounding him is do you trade him for win now help, instead of will he win ROY. I'm still confident he will round out to a quality role player, and am happy he won the award, but hopefully we see a continued growth from here on out.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#20 » by City of Trees » Wed Jan 4, 2023 7:33 am

BoogieTime wrote:While I appreciate the fact that Keegan's game is no longer in the state it was in when I made this thread, you would still have to say, macrocosmically, that his year has been disappointing.

I say that looking at it through the lens we saw it in this summer and preseason, when many of us thought we had a bonafide franchise piece going forward. Maybe its a lesson in the importance of summer league though, or maybe Keegan in his timid manner is going to take awhile to acclimate to the league.

He has shot well, but are we really celebrating him putting up 12/3 for the month? These just aren't the numbers we were hoping for a couple months ago.

The biggest question now surrounding him is do you trade him for win now help, instead of will he win ROY. I'm still confident he will round out to a quality role player, and am happy he won the award, but hopefully we see a continued growth from here on out.

Looking back, too many folks unwisely assumed because Keegan was polished that he would be favored to win ROY when it was clear he doesn't possess the top end talent of a Paolo or others. Many other factors come into play as well. Credit to Paolo for making an immediate impact in the league. But make no mistake Keegan is out there doing good things on a winning team. Let's take a dive into his numbers vs the other ROY candidates:

Off rating
Paolo-108
Keegan-115
Ivey-107
Mathurin-111

Def rating
Paolo-114
Keegan-111.9
Ivey-119.6
Mathurin-109.4

Keegan's performance to date is a net positive rookie. He ranks tied for 1st (Mathurin) in Net Rating (2.3) out of all rookies playing 20mpg or more. Paolo (-6) and Ivey(-12.4), are both net negative players.

Now let's focus on Keegan's strength; shooting. Even with Keegan's rough shooting stretch he still leads all rookies in made 3 pt FG's. An overall snapshot shows Keegan should pull away in this category now that his shooting slump is over.

Ts%
Paolo- 54
Keegan- 55.5
Ivey- 51.4
Mathurin- 56

Efg%
Paolo- 47.3
Keegan- 53.7
Ivey- 46.1
Mathurin- 48.8

3pt%
Paolo- 30.8
Keegan- 38.4
Ivey- 31.5
Mathurin- 34.4

FGA
Paolo- 15.8
Keegan- 9.6
Ivey- 12.5
Mathurin- 12.9

I believe what really holds Keegan back in the race for ROY is his role on the Kings. Keegan isn't utilized the same way other ROY candidates are used.

Touches per game
Paolo- 67.1
Keegan- 32.9
Ivey- 52.2
Mathurin- 42.6

Usage%
Paolo- 27.5
Keegan- 16.4
Ivey- 24.1
Mathurin- 24.6

Once Keegan has the ball he is shooting it or looking to move it quickly to keep the offensive flow going. He's processing quickly.

Average seconds per touch
Paolo- 4.0
Keegan- 1.7
Ivey- 4.50
Mathurin- 2.45

For the most part the Kings utilize Keegan as a floor spacer on offense, again leading to less opportunity.

Dribbles per touch
Paolo- 3.21
Keegan- 0.92
Ivey- 4.07
Mathurin- 1.65

Elbow touches per game
Paolo- 1.0
Keegan- 0.4
Ivey- 0.7
Mathurin- 1.2

Post ups per game
Paolo- 2.3
Keegan- 0.2
Ivey- 0.0
Mathurin- 0.1

I agree 12/3 aren't eye popping numbers. If you wish to call Keegan disappointing thus far I won't argue but I will say not all the blame deserves to go Keegan's way. Mike Brown has carved out a smaller role for him and Keegan plays within that role.

Areas I would like to see Keegan improve: rebounding, playmaking, and developing his body. Need to see him get stronger.

I wouldn't seek to trade Keegan unless it's for a larger deal to acquire a star.

Return to Sacramento Kings