NBA Draft Thread 2023 

Post#1 » by City of Trees » Tue Feb 7, 2023 6:11 am

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: NBA Draft Thread 2023 

Post#2 » by City of Trees » Tue Feb 7, 2023 6:17 am

If the draft was held today the Kings would select at 22, 37, and 52.

Filipowski, Kris Murray, Colby Jones, and Kel'el Ware are prospects I'm interested in at 22.

Big fan of Jaime Jaquez Jr's game but he's probably a reach at 22.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Post#3 » by OxAndFox » Tue Feb 7, 2023 8:01 pm

I trust Monte with whatever selection the Kings make. That's how good at the draft he has been. I'm hoping for some length and defence to be added, but obviously BPA at the two better picks and the later one will most likely be sold.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,616

Post#4 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Feb 7, 2023 9:14 pm

OxAndFox wrote:I trust Monte with whatever selection the Kings make. That's how good at the draft he has been. I'm hoping for some length and defence to be added, but obviously BPA at the two better picks and the later one will most likely be sold.

I'll trust Monte, but his drafting has me left with mixed feelings.

The Haliburton pick was an absolute no brainer. But he nailed it when teams like the Knicks tried to get cute.

The Davion pick is an absolute bust. Murphy would look so damn good in Sac right now. Can also say he missed by not taking Zaire, Sengun, Moody, Johnson, etc..

The Murray pick has been fantastic. But this draft looks absolutely loaded. Guys like Mathurin, Sharpe, Sochan, Williams, Griffin, Eason all look really good also. I'm not complaining about the pick at all though, going to take some time to see how things shape out. Looks like aside from Washington nobody missed lol.

Still the Davion pick has been terrible. By position, and by skill level. Hopefully we are good enough to avoid the lotto and we all care a little less!
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#5 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Feb 8, 2023 7:33 am

I would both e at all surprised to see a pick and trade this year.

Monte has gained a two as a guy who can spot talent. The Davion pick - well I know everyone’s feelings but he is an NBA player. Absolutely on the defensive end with the potential for All NBA standing in his career. And ultimately his offense will come around.

A lot has to do with how he is being used and what his strengths are. He may ultimately have to be moved to realize his potential in a more friendly system to his offensive style.

But don’t finalize in ink anything on him just yet.
Sacramento_King
Rookie
And1: 76

Re: 2022-2023 Trade thread 

Post#6 » by Sacramento_King » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:16 am

Bilal Coulibaly is starting to pop now. May even jump our pick with Nets having two in early 20's plus the Warriors before us. I am looking for 3 and D and size so I like Bilal.

I also like:
Maxwell Lewis from Pepperdine
Julian Strawther from Gonzaga
Colby Jones from Xavier
Jalen Wilson from Kansas
Jordan Walsh from Arkansas
Olivier Maxence Prosper from Marquette
Anton Watson from Gonzaga

I think all could carve out roles in rotation with their versatility and defensive ability.

Moved over to the Draft thread
-City of Trees
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#7 » by donkeylips » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:59 pm

i just hope mcnair doesnt just sell both second round picks.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#8 » by OxAndFox » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:55 pm

donkeylips wrote:i just hope mcnair doesnt just sell both second round picks.

I think you can safely say the later one will be sold or traded for a future 2nd. Most likely the former.
The earlier 2nd better be used this season because they need to add young talent.

My thoughts would be to trade the later 2nd for a distant 2nd. There are always plenty of players that don't get drafted because they know there is a better contract if they don't. Hopefully we can utilise that now we might have more respect around the NBA and what young guy wouldn't want to be part of this offense.
Sign a guy we like to a 3 year deal and that way I believe the team gets their rights in FA. Sabonis will sign with this squad after next season and if they want Monk to hang around and if Barnes is still here the salary is going to be high so it's important to pick up some cheap talent soon.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by OGSactownballer » Mon May 1, 2023 12:47 am

donkeylips wrote:i just hope mcnair doesnt just sell both second round picks.

I’m all about trading both with the first for an established player or to move up.

We don’t have roster space at this point to develop second rounders. Our roster is too young.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,785

Post#10 » by BoogieTime » Mon May 1, 2023 3:21 am

Don’t feel like looking this up but can they just give the pick to the Hawks to nullify the conditional pick we owe? Hawks would obviously have to agree, and they might not think our pick will be as low as it is this year on the future, but at least they would for sure get one
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#11 » by codydaze » Mon May 1, 2023 3:38 am

BoogieTime wrote:Don’t feel like looking this up but can they just give the pick to the Hawks to nullify the conditional pick we owe? Hawks would obviously have to agree, and they might not think our pick will be as low as it is this year on the future, but at least they would for sure get one

If you mean the pick this year rather than next year's conditional I think Atlanta would need to agree to terms but I don't think there is any rule that disallows it.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 656

Post#12 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Mon May 1, 2023 5:59 pm

Any chance Taylor Hendricks could be available or have the Kings move up to nab him? He's be an ideal fit on paper to Sabonis.

Otherwise Jalen Wilson seems like a solid prospect and fit at 24.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#13 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 1, 2023 8:10 pm

I'm thinking this pick is 100% traded. But if we keep it, I hope Kris Murray falls to us or we trade up for him! Lets confuse teams with the 2 brothers and get Keegan more open looks!
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#14 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 1, 2023 11:48 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:I'm thinking this pick is 100% traded. But if we keep it, I hope Kris Murray falls to us or we trade up for him! Lets confuse teams with the 2 brothers and get Keegan more open looks!

I think if Kris is there you have to think long and hard. He is ready to go and contribute. Not in the way Keegan did, but he could play right away.

As I have mentioned I'm all for Leonard Miller with #24 and Nikola Djurisic with #38. Both guys give the squad much better length.

With two forfeited pick in the 2nd it means two more guys are going to miss out. There will be 5-6 guys that already have deals with teams as undrafted rookies. Monte needs to get in on this action now the Kings are in a better position both on and off the court. If you can sneak a decent prospect into an undrafted spot and give them a 3 year deal to retain rights that's huge as the team moves toward having no cap space.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#15 » by codydaze » Mon May 1, 2023 11:50 pm

Beam Me Up Foxy wrote:Any chance Taylor Hendricks could be available or have the Kings move up to nab him? He's be an ideal fit on paper to Sabonis.

Otherwise Jalen Wilson seems like a solid prospect and fit at 24.

Yeah, by all accounts it seems Hendricks is going lottery.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#16 » by codydaze » Mon May 1, 2023 11:52 pm

My guy all along has been Bilal Coulibaly and I would be ecstatic if we were able to nab him but I think he's going to be taken before our pick. In that case, I'm hoping we move the pick for a solid rotation piece or in a deal to dump Holmes contract if we have a free agency play lined up.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#17 » by LightTheBeam » Tue May 2, 2023 12:11 am

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:I'm thinking this pick is 100% traded. But if we keep it, I hope Kris Murray falls to us or we trade up for him! Lets confuse teams with the 2 brothers and get Keegan more open looks!

I think if Kris is there you have to think long and hard. He is ready to go and contribute. Not in the way Keegan did, but he could play right away.

As I have mentioned I'm all for Leonard Miller with #24 and Nikola Djurisic with #38. Both guys give the squad much better length.

With two forfeited pick in the 2nd it means two more guys are going to miss out. There will be 5-6 guys that already have deals with teams as undrafted rookies. Monte needs to get in on this action now the Kings are in a better position both on and off the court. If you can sneak a decent prospect into an undrafted spot and give them a 3 year deal to retain rights that's huge as the team moves toward having no cap space.

Honestly with us in the playoffs I haven't done any real research into this class.

I'm thinking with the core being so damn young, Monte will look at adding solid vets rather than developing a 19 year old who probably doesn't help us win next year.

Murray - 22
Huerter - 24
Davion - 24
Fox - 25
Monk - 25
Sabonis - 27

Even some of the likely free agent targets are on the younger side.

My prediction is using 24 + Holmes for an O'Neale/DFS type. But I hope we keep 37 and look to develop that kind of player! If the team continues to be good, we are going to have tough choices in the future. Adding someone like Hardy who we sold last year would be the smart play!
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by OGSactownballer » Tue May 2, 2023 12:14 am

BoogieTime wrote:Don’t feel like looking this up but can they just give the pick to the Hawks to nullify the conditional pick we owe? Hawks would obviously have to agree, and they might not think our pick will be as low as it is this year on the future, but at least they would for sure get one

I can’t imagine that Atlanta would have a problem with removal of the ‘24 protections and just outright transferring the pick. It’s risky though if a major injury or two happen you can be giving away a lotto pick.

I’d say wait until the deadline and unless something has gone sideways, we call and ask them if they would like the protections removed to make it have to be ‘24 and therefore they won’t have any restrictions in future trades.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#19 » by OxAndFox » Tue May 2, 2023 12:32 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Honestly with us in the playoffs I haven't done any real research into this class.

I'm thinking with the core being so damn young, Monte will look at adding solid vets rather than developing a 19 year old who probably doesn't help us win next year.

Murray - 22
Huerter - 24
Davion - 24
Fox - 25
Monk - 25
Sabonis - 27

Even some of the likely free agent targets are on the younger side.

My prediction is using 24 + Holmes for an O'Neale/DFS type. But I hope we keep 37 and look to develop that kind of player! If the team continues to be good, we are going to have tough choices in the future. Adding someone like Hardy who we sold last year would be the smart play!

I do ultimately believe the pick will be traded, but there are a lot of teams that I believe won't want to be in this draft, want to dilute their pick stash or move up.

I think this FO has always kept an even keel on getting the core together and having an eye on the future.
If Monte is on his way to the big homerun trade he has a Mitchell/Keegan/Miller/Picks package which IMO is right there with the best offers.

Honestly, I think once the workouts, etc are done, Miller is going to be in the lottery. Nikola Djurisic might rise too.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#20 » by OxAndFox » Tue May 2, 2023 12:37 am

OGSactownballer wrote:

I can’t imagine that Atlanta would have a problem with removal of the ‘24 protections and just outright transferring the pick. It’s risky though if a major injury or two happen you can be giving away a lotto pick.

I’d say wait until the deadline and unless something has gone sideways, we call and ask them if they would like the protections removed to make it have to be ‘24 and therefore they won’t have any restrictions in future trades.

Yeah and that's why I don't think Atlanta would do it. They have a lot of young talent and the pick is protected for selections 1-14 in 2024, 1-12 in 2025 and 1-10 in 2026.

I don't think the #24 pick gets it done. Perhaps #24 and a bunch of 2nds, but again, Atlanta has a bunch of young talent. Think they would prefer the pick to push out to next year or the year after.
I guess the only thing they might look at is Sabonis becoming a FA after next year and if Barnes is gone the Kings are back in the lottery so the pick probably won't convey if it doesn't next year.

Return to Sacramento Kings