ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Draft Thread 2023

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Re: NBA Draft Thread 2023 

Post#41 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:14 am

City of Trees wrote:Rayan Rupert does a lot of things Ben Simmons does without the headache and contract. His shot needs work but unlike Ben, Rupert isn't afraid to take the shot. #38 possibility if Uncle V keeps the pick. For the record I'm not calling him Ben Simmons, just noticing similar strengths/weaknesses

It's a decent comparison. His shot is a lot better obviously and really isn't all that bad. He just needs development and reps.

The guy is 6'6" wo shoes and has a 7'2" wingspan and can guard pgs full court and make life a living hell for them.
While Ben Simmons is a good comp, maybe OG is a better one.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,618

Post#42 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:52 am

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
Tankathon's latest mock has him going to the Kings with #24.
He wouldn't be a bad selection at all.

At this point I don't mind any of these guys:
James Nnaji
Kris Murray
Rayan Rupert
GG Jackson
Dariq Whitehead
Maxwell Lewis

The thing about it is the Kings FO likes to "draft what we know" and there are a lot of high upside players in that list. I do hope Monte can get another high 2nd round pick using #54 and future 2nds. There's loads of talent that is going to be around the #36-#44 range.

I wouldn't get your hopes up :roll:

Better chance 38 is traded either in a bigger deal (OG?) or to kick the can down the road for future 2nds + cash. This is the Vivek Kings way. 2nd round picks are cash value for this team.

That's why Monte has #54. Sell for cash to keep Vivek happy.

History says it will be the pick in the 30s

Xavier Tillman pick
GTJ pick
Hardy pick

All recently sold picks in the 30s
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#43 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:02 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
I wouldn't get your hopes up :roll:

Better chance 38 is traded either in a bigger deal (OG?) or to kick the can down the road for future 2nds + cash. This is the Vivek Kings way. 2nd round picks are cash value for this team.

That's why Monte has #54. Sell for cash to keep Vivek happy.

History says it will be the pick in the 30s

Xavier Tillman pick
GTJ pick
Hardy pick

All recently sold picks in the 30s

Tillman was a trade down (35 for 40/future 2nd) so you could argue they.....wanted Woodard at #40
GTJ Pick. Yep. Terrible mistake
Hardy Pick. Yep. Terrible mistake

I think everyone, or at least the majority were saying that at the time on the last couple too.
Kabaum
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#44 » by Kabaum » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:56 pm

Jamie Jaquez Jr. is growing on me. If Kris Murray isnt there at 24 and Jamie falls to us there I'd be pretty happy with that outcome. Im a big fan of glue guys for teams and he seems like a great player to add to a winning team right now. Also taking G.G Jackson at 38 would be a win. Seems like he is slipping recently in the mock drafts and then Emoni Bates at 54 just to see if we can develop him.

Based on the mock drafts I've seen this is my dream scenario. What does everyone else wish happens tomorrow?
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,785

Post#45 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:33 pm

Have we brought anyone else in recently? Are Lewis and Trayce the only guys mocked in our range to have come in?

No idea who we select but since we’ve interviewed him, brought him in, and he pops from barely watching 40-45 seconds, I’m guessing there is a possibility we hear Lewis name (though I’m hearing his D and playmaking haven’t translated to his profile yet).

Of course we did no work on Davion and still selected him, but what else do we have to go on?

I’ve been too lazy to watch any film on the prospects, I may do it tonight
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#46 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:10 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Have we brought anyone else in recently? Are Lewis and Trayce the only guys mocked in our range to have come in?

No idea who we select but since we’ve interviewed him, brought him in, and he pops from barely watching 40-45 seconds, I’m guessing there is a possibility we hear Lewis name (though I’m hearing his D and playmaking haven’t translated to his profile yet).

Of course we did no work on Davion and still selected him, but what else do we have to go on?

I’ve been too lazy to watch any film on the prospects, I may do it tonight

I wonder if there are others that haven't been put out there. Otherwise I think you're right. Monte and the FO say they like to draft for what they know. So if Kris Murray isn't there, which I think he's going to GSW if he lasts that long, Lewis might just be the selection. I'm not as high on Lewis as I am with Rupert/Murray/Nnaji and Whitehead.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#47 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:21 pm

Someone will fall to #24 that we don't think should have. It's going to be interesting to see who does. That will create a log jam of talent late in the round.

That's why Denver's trade with Indiana is brilliant. There will be a lot of talent around the #29 & #32 picks and they can lock in 2 young guys that go through all of their long contracts. Gotta give the Nuggets credit. They are killing it over the last few years.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#48 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:59 pm

OxAndFox wrote:Someone will fall to #24 that we don't think should have. It's going to be interesting to see who does. That will create a log jam of talent late in the round.

That's why Denver's trade with Indiana is brilliant. There will be a lot of talent around the #29 & #32 picks and they can lock in 2 young guys that go through all of their long contracts. Gotta give the Nuggets credit. They are killing it over the last few years.

Agreed. The forward thinking for continuation of their dynasty is very thorough and well calculated. And you see that it is TWO shots in the same range one of which is a minor commitment salary wise to take a flier on a guy.

Don’t be surprised if they let Bruce Brown walk with the intention of filling his spot from those picks. He’s going to command pretty good money and they don’t want too much tied up.

The Kings would do very well at this juncture to do similar. They are a couple years behind in timeline and should really look to package to trade forward while moving off salary now and looking to solidify the lineup around their stars with young, reasonably priced guys that fill roles and can potentially develop into key role players or even star/borderline star guys in their own right on cheap deals. This also makes for tons of roster flexibility.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#49 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:18 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:Someone will fall to #24 that we don't think should have. It's going to be interesting to see who does. That will create a log jam of talent late in the round.

Agreed. The forward thinking for continuation of their dynasty is very thorough and well calculated. And you see that it is TWO shots in the same range one of which is a minor commitment salary wise to take a flier on a guy.

Don’t be surprised if they let Bruce Brown walk with the intention of filling his spot from those picks. He’s going to command pretty good money and they don’t want too much tied up.

The Kings would do very well at this juncture to do similar. They are a couple years behind in timeline and should really look to package to trade forward while moving off salary now and looking to solidify the lineup around their stars with young, reasonably priced guys that fill roles and can potentially develop into key role players or even star/borderline star guys in their own right on cheap deals. This also makes for tons of roster flexibility.

Absolutely. I think these trades signal they can't keep Brown. I think they have $11-12m they can offer him so any team that goes over that will beat them without the ability to keep him.

The Kings should be looking to do this too as you mention. If not this year then the next. It may mean the difference between extending Monk or not.
This year is a good one to start because IMO there's a lot of talent late in the 1st round/early 2nd and the Kings, while we have a good roster, there is a HUGE lack of young talent.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#50 » by City of Trees » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:29 pm

My wish list in order

1. Hawkins
2. Jaquez Jr
3. Leonard
4. Nnaji
5. Rupert
6. Cissoko
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#51 » by codydaze » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:11 pm

If I had to rank my top 5 at 24:
1. Dariq Whitehead
2. Olivier-Maxence Prosper
3. Maxwell Lewis
4. James Nnaji
5. Leonard Miller

Whitehead is definitely one of the more boom or bust types that will be available at our pick but if he hits I think he would be perfect for what we need on the wing.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#52 » by City of Trees » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:14 pm

I'll remove Cissoko from my list for Whitehead, forgot about him.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#53 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:33 pm

If we stay with the pick and are targeting Nnaji (hitch makes a ton of sense for both BPA and need in my view) then likely they will have to grab him at 24. I feel like he’s a guy who someone will snatch at 27-30 or in the first couple picks of the second round if we pass. I don’t see him being around at 38 at all.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#54 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:50 pm

Can someone explain to me the things Keegan does far better than Kris? Overall Keegan seems like he was more efficient in college. Defensively i've seen Kris talked about as a 3&D guy, where Keegan never really got defensive praise. Both lacked great handles, or speed.

Just seems strange to me one was a consensus top 5 pick, and the other is being talked about as a super late 1st rounder.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#55 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:53 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:If we stay with the pick and are targeting Nnaji (hitch makes a ton of sense for both BPA and need in my view) then likely they will have to grab him at 24. I feel like he’s a guy who someone will snatch at 27-30 or in the first couple picks of the second round if we pass. I don’t see him being around at 38 at all.

Isn't he more of a project guy? Also unable to stretch the floor. Not saying backup center isn't a need, it most definitely is. But I'd be surprised if Monte used the pick on a guy who probably is a year away from being a year away and projects to be a 10-15mpg backup behind Sabonis?
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#56 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:01 pm

Going to be an interesting day. I'd imagine if an OG trade was incoming, it's now or never. If pick 24 is a King, looks like we will be focusing on free agency. Historically we don't attract any of the top dogs, and I'd bet Barnes is on his way to join Buddy/Hali in Indiana.

Really hoping we come out of today with OG or another player we can pencil in to start in the front court.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,785

Post#57 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:06 pm

I’m not as enthused with the no-3 and D no bag wings (he’s got a 7 foot wingspan!). It seems like there are some that maybe slotted here by the mocks I’m seeing
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#58 » by City of Trees » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:32 pm

Mock draft consensus posted by Vegas Refund

Odds for Kings at 24

Olivier-Maxence Prosper 27%
Kris Murray 20%
Jett Howard 20%
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#59 » by OxAndFox » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:36 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:Can someone explain to me the things Keegan does far better than Kris? Overall Keegan seems like he was more efficient in college. Defensively i've seen Kris talked about as a 3&D guy, where Keegan never really got defensive praise. Both lacked great handles, or speed.

Just seems strange to me one was a consensus top 5 pick, and the other is being talked about as a super late 1st rounder.

They're closer that what people think. Keegan seems like a better scorer overall and Kris seems like he is a better defender at the same stage.
If he falls to the Kings, which I doubt he gets past the Warriors, they pick him no worries at all.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#60 » by OxAndFox » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:43 pm

Would love for the Kings to come away with 2 of the following:
Kris Murray
Rayan Rupert
Dariq Whitehead
TJD
James Nnaji
Sidy Cissoko