ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoffs R1 Discussion Thread - Kings vs Warriors

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,784

Re: Playoffs R1 Discussion Thread - Kings vs Warriors 

Post#241 » by BoogieTime » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:51 pm

I could say some things about this team and players for not showing up tonight.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#242 » by BoogieTime » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:56 pm

The team (clowns) gave up at the end of the third quarter, and I have to try to support them going forward
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#243 » by KF10 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:01 pm

Not sure why Mitchell isn’t getting any burn against Curry. Dude was keeping Curry off going nuclear every game in the previous games.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#244 » by City of Trees » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:09 pm

Good season Kings. They accomplished more than we ever thought possible. Kings are back and I'm excited to see what improvements they make this off-season. I'll never forget the Beam Team.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#245 » by City of Trees » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:10 pm

KF10 wrote:Not sure why Mitchell isn’t getting any burn against Curry. Dude was keeping Curry off going nuclear every game in the previous games.
Mike Brown puts Davis on him for extended minutes and Curry goes for 50. Lol
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#246 » by KF10 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:21 pm

City of Trees wrote:
KF10 wrote:Not sure why Mitchell isn’t getting any burn against Curry. Dude was keeping Curry off going nuclear every game in the previous games.

Head scratching decision.

Davis is more of a momentum raiser not someone you can lean on for significant amount of minutes — especially in the playoffs. Davis made some boneheaded plays. Dude is a true double edge sword.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#247 » by codydaze » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:33 pm

BoogieTime wrote:The team (clowns) gave up at the end of the third quarter, and I have to try to support them going forward

Sleep it off, man. We took the defending champs to seven games in our first playoff appearance in 16 season. Is it disappointing to lose? Sure, but there is a lot to build off of.
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 632

Post#248 » by sackings916 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:35 pm

City of Trees wrote:

It’s baffling. I don’t understand the thought process w this one.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#249 » by codydaze » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:35 pm

The Beam Team was special. This season was more than I personally expected and it was a hell of a ride. This summer is going to be the most important summer for this particular group. We have some holes to fill in the roster and some huge decisions to make. Can it be next season already?
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Post#250 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:35 pm

KF10 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

Head scratching decision.

Davis is more of a momentum raiser not someone you can lean on for significant amount of minutes — especially in the playoffs. Davis made some boneheaded plays. Dude is a true double edge sword.

I mean I found it funny in game 6 when I think it was Mike Breen said, Davis is regarded as a good defender for Sacramento.
I was like WTF. At least do some research on the teams. But Mike Brown fell in love with a strategy that worked. It's not just the players that need to get better over the off season, it's the staff as well.
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 632

Post#251 » by sackings916 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:36 pm

BoogieTime wrote:The team (clowns) gave up at the end of the third quarter, and I have to try to support them going forward

I don’t get why you just don’t support another team if you hate all the players. They’re all clowns right
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#252 » by blind prophet » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:44 pm

Today it doesn't feel right to make a thread about what we need to do in the off season, but I'll mention something obvious about it in a bit.

I have no problem if the greatest shooter in the world and NBA history kills us.

I can live with that. Sure I'd of rolled with Mitchell and I'm not sure why Brown didn't.

But they need to figure out how to fix giving up offensive rebounds. This whole series I was in agony over & over. We didn't play vs Dennis Rodman. We have the best rebounder by average on the team.

How the fk did that happen?

What can we do about it?

That **** needs to be figured out.

I almost need therapy about having offensive boards in my dreams. Unbelievable.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Post#253 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:45 pm

Good series, great season Kings fans.

Although it must hurt now, Fox rose to the occasion as did Monk and one or two other players in some games.

Fox and Monk are each 25 and they're going to continue to improve. I don't think I had previously seen Monk attack the hoop like he did in this series. Obviously he was a high-end prospect going into his one year at Kentucky and you see the bounce and the pure shooting ability which gives him a path to all-star level play.

Hope the Kings re-sign Monk and have these two young guards continue to develop together.

Tough game after a brilliant game 6 for the Kings. I'm surprised Brown didn't look at doubling Curry more, at least in spots because there was a long stretch -- first half and a lot of the third quarter -- where nobody else on the Warriors could make a shot or even a FT.

That might have been the time to force the ball out of Curry's hands, make someone else beat you. But the game was close through 3 quarters until the last couple of minutes there, so I can see why Brown didn't change things up, even as Curry was converting possession after possession.

Then the first time I believe that the Kings blitzed Curry, on the last possession of the 3rd quarter, Curry gets the ball to Klay for a 4-point play.

So that's probably the other argument, you don't want to get the other Warriors to get any kind of rhythm but giving them open looks and the game was less than 10 points through most of the 3rd quarter.

Look forward to seeing the Kings continue to improve, with many of the key players being way under 30. Would have loved to see them matched up against other playoffs teams. Would have absolutely been for the Kings if they won this game and faced the Lakers.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#254 » by codydaze » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:49 pm

blind prophet wrote:Today it doesn't feel right to make a thread about what we need to do in the off season, but I'll mention something obvious about it in a bit.

I have no problem if the greatest shooter in the world and NBA history kills us.

I can live with that. Sure I'd of rolled with Mitchell and I'm not sure why Brown didn't.

But they need to figure out how to fix giving up offensive rebounds. This whole series I was in agony over & over. We didn't play vs Dennis Rodman. We have the best rebounder by average on the team.

What can we do about it?

I think Looney is just a bad matchup for Sabonis. He has great length and is super active. When you play against a jump shooting team with lots of long rebound opportunities, that favors Looney every time.

The more concerning part for me with Sabonis was being completely neutralized on offense. He was a complete non threat with the middy and that really killed a lot of action for us. Golden State schemed really well against him and shut down that DHO action.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Post#255 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:50 pm

blind prophet wrote:

What can we do about it?

Have the Kings struggled with giving up offensive rebounds most of the season?

I think a lot of it is the Warriors. Looney got a lot of offensive rebounds vs. the Mavs and the Celtics last season. He's great at pursuing boards but a lot of the time, he doesn't have to fight for offensive rebounds against opposing centers?

Why?

Because Curry and Klay force switches and force at least big men to show on pick and rolls. If they play drop coverage, it plays right into the Warriors strengths, pull up uncontested jumpers.

That is why Looney has feasted on the offensive boards. He's a good rebounder but the big men are pulled to the perimeter and Looney is often rebounding against guards and wings.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#256 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:00 pm

codydaze wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Today it doesn't feel right to make a thread about what we need to do in the off season, but I'll mention something obvious about it in a bit.

What can we do about it?

I think Looney is just a bad matchup for Sabonis. He has great length and is super active. When you play against a jump shooting team with lots of long rebound opportunities, that favors Looney every time.

The more concerning part for me with Sabonis was being completely neutralized on offense. He was a complete non threat with the middy and that really killed a lot of action for us. Golden State schemed really well against him and shut down that DHO action.

You get Huerter/Keegan/Barnes knocking a couple more down in the DHO action and all of a sudden the Warriors need to adjust. They didn't need to because they missed wide open looks. Even though Klay had an off shooting game here, have a look at some of the absurd shots he was making previously. Curry the same. The Kings just don't have the caliber of shot makers...yet. Fox was brilliant, and Monk had his moments, but others had to contribute.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#257 » by blind prophet » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:01 pm

Well some notes on those boards, when we didn't seem to get destroyed.

Len

We'll we don't want to play him any more than sparingly, but when we did it seemed to help.

Small Ball

It made the Warriors seem less potent and have to figure out how to guard us on defense.

It's something. But those were the only decent counters I saw.

I'm not convinced Looney and the others couldn't be minimized more. I'm not saying I have a great solution. But that was unacceptable.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#258 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:02 pm

I will say with Fox too. He was incredible, but the finger was clearly a problem. I think everyone thought shooting would be the hardest thing for him, but it was definitely dribbling.
I think he even got a couple of whistles these last couple of games where he lost the ball.

When you look back at the series if anyone told me Fox and Sabonis would lose their dribble this much I wouldn't have believed them.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#259 » by KF10 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:04 pm

Yeah Brown left his brain in halftime locker room.

Not saying Brown was the reason why we lost because there was several players that let the Kings down too.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#260 » by BoogieTime » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:04 pm

codydaze wrote:

Sleep it off, man. We took the defending champs to seven games in our first playoff appearance in 16 season. Is it disappointing to lose? Sure, but there is a lot to build off of.

Thank you.

I just didn’t like how it happened. Team literally competed to the final whistle most nights. It was like the entire 4th quarter they were going through the motions and resigned to losing. That was really dejecting to not fight through the last quarter and leave a better taste in all of our moths

Return to Sacramento Kings