ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoffs R1 Discussion Thread - Kings vs Warriors

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 634

Re: Playoffs R1 Discussion Thread - Kings vs Warriors 

Post#261 » by sackings916 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:07 pm

OxAndFox wrote:I will say with Fox too. He was incredible, but the finger was clearly a problem. I think everyone thought shooting would be the hardest thing for him, but it was definitely dribbling.
I think he even got a couple of whistles these last couple of games where he lost the ball.

When you look back at the series if anyone told me Fox and Sabonis would lose their dribble this much I wouldn't have believed them.

Fox’s handle and decision making is loose without the fractured finger. I hope Fox and the Kings work on this over the off-season.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Post#262 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:10 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
codydaze wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:The team (clowns) gave up at the end of the third quarter, and I have to try to support them going forward

Sleep it off, man. We took the defending champs to seven games in our first playoff appearance in 16 season. Is it disappointing to lose? Sure, but there is a lot to build off of.

Thank you.

I just didn’t like how it happened. Team literally competed to the final whistle most nights. It was like the entire 4th quarter they were going through the motions and resigned to losing. That was really dejecting to not fight through the last quarter and leave a better taste in all of our moths

Someone said Looney got like 10 offensive rebounds in a row at one point.

That has to be difficult, especially when the Warriors converted a lot of second-chance points from those offensive rebounds and started pulling away.

Then they blitzed Curry at the end of the 4th quarter and Klay converts a 4-pointer.

So persevering through that kind of adversity is probably part of the gaining of playoffs experience. Curry, Klay and Draymond didn't run through their first playoffs either. Took 2 or 3 tries before they broke past the second round IIRC.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Post#263 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:10 pm

blind prophet wrote:Well some notes on those boards, when we didn't seem to get destroyed.

Len

We'll we don't want to play him any more than sparingly, but when we did it seemed to help.

Small Ball

It made the Warriors seem less potent and have to figure out how to guard us on defense.

It's something. But those were the only decent counters I saw.

I'm not convinced Looney and the others couldn't be minimized more. I'm not saying I have a great solution. But that was unacceptable.

I agree.
I still would have used Kessler a whole lot more. He is a terrific energy guy and he should have been getting 14-18mpg IMO. Sit him in the corner 3 and he will hit just as many as the other guys did. If you want him as a rebounder put him on Wiggins, or if you want him as a defender, put him on Steph. Davion should have been with Steph for another 10 minutes and that's the majority of his time. Then you can go Fox on him.
The analytics guys went with shooting like they did in game 6, but this is a game 7 and it's largely on the defensive end that you win the game.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#264 » by City of Trees » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:13 pm

sackings916 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
KF10 wrote:Not sure why Mitchell isn’t getting any burn against Curry. Dude was keeping Curry off going nuclear every game in the previous games.
Mike Brown puts Davis on him for extended minutes and Curry goes for 50. Lol

It’s baffling. I don’t understand the thought process w this one.
Game 6 showed a small ball line up gave the Warriors defense problems and somehow Brown turned that into Davis getting the defensive assignment on Curry even with Fox on the floor.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#265 » by OGSactownballer » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:20 pm

What we saw ultimately is the giant hole in the roster at PF on both ends of the floor.

I love Harrison and he did exactly what was needed this season by being the steady veteran influence for a young team coming up.

That said, his time has laser and he doesn’t fit what we need most now that all then you get guys have had a real taste of the full range of a playoff series.

We need a guy at that spot that compliments Domas. And that means:

Good size.

40% from three minimum.

Top end - all nba caliber if possible - defender of all front court positions.

Far too often it looked like Domas was working alone out there on both ends against three 6’ 9” heavier bodied guys. That won’t work and it would have been worse in the next round.

I am still of the mind that if we cannot find and swing a trade for the right guy, we need to throw an overpay offer at Grant Williams. He fits the needs ideally. And it could easily be a Jermaine O’Neal type situation where he totally blossoms as a starter.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Post#266 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:29 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:What we saw ultimately is the giant hole in the roster at PF on both ends of the floor.

I love Harrison and he did exactly what was needed this season by being the steady veteran influence for a young team coming up.

That said, his time has laser and he doesn’t fit what we need most now that all then you get guys have had a real taste of the full range of a playoff series.

Good size.

40% from three minimum.

Far too often it looked like Domas was working alone out there on both ends against three 6’ 9” heavier bodied guys. That won’t work and it would have been worse in the next round.

I am still of the mind that if we cannot find and swing a trade for the right guy, we need to throw an overpay offer at Grant Williams. He fits the needs ideally. And it could easily be a Jermaine O’Neal type situation where he totally blossoms as a starter.

40% from 3 for a 4 is a big ask.

HB shot 37% for the season.

I was a HB fan because he provided athleticism that the Warriors didn't have though obviously they were going to move on from him once KD joined.

Harrison didn't have a good series, though he had minutes when he attacked mismatches with Steph switched on him. Then he had a big highlight dunk off a slash cut to the rim, so reminiscent of his first couple of seasons with the Warriors.

Yeah at his age and salary, Kings might have to move on but a stretch 4 may be hard to find.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#267 » by blind prophet » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:31 pm

wco81 wrote:
Have the Kings struggled with giving up offensive rebounds most of the season?

I think a lot of it is the Warriors. Looney got a lot of offensive rebounds vs. the Mavs and the Celtics last season. He's great at pursuing boards but a lot of the time, he doesn't have to fight for offensive rebounds against opposing centers?

Why?

Because Curry and Klay force switches and force at least big men to show on pick and rolls. If they play drop coverage, it plays right into the Warriors strengths, pull up uncontested jumpers.

That is why Looney has feasted on the offensive boards. He's a good rebounder but the big men are pulled to the perimeter and Looney is often rebounding against guards and wings.

I don't recall the Kings getting exploited like that during the regular season. Barnes, Keegan, Lyles were at least decent on the boards for mid size guys.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#268 » by Lost in LA » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:31 pm

They just ran out of gas today, and lost composure in the fourth quarter
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#269 » by codydaze » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:32 pm

wco81 wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:What we saw ultimately is the giant hole in the roster at PF on both ends of the floor.

Good size.

40% from three minimum.

40% from 3 for a 4 is a big ask.

HB shot 37% for the season.

I was a HB fan because he provided athleticism that the Warriors didn't have though obviously they were going to move on from him once KD joined.

Harrison didn't have a good series, though he had minutes when he attacked mismatches with Steph switched on him. Then he had a big highlight dunk off a slash cut to the rim, so reminiscent of his first couple of seasons with the Warriors.

Yeah at his age and salary, Kings might have to move on but a stretch 4 may be hard to find.

I really want Naz Reid. I think he can start next to Sabonis and is attainable with Minny committing to Gobert and Towns.
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 634

Post#270 » by sackings916 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:35 pm

Good size.

40% from three minimum.

So an all NBA frontcourt defender that shoots 40% from 3 minimum? Every team in the league wants one of these, but how many of these actually exist?
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#271 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:53 pm

Good size.

40% from three minimum.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the closest to that is the dude that plays in LA.

Well, without the All NBA part, it's actually Bobby Portis.

I'm not saying I advocate for this, but it screams KP.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#272 » by blind prophet » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 pm

sackings916 wrote:

Good size.

40% from three minimum.

So an all NBA frontcourt defender that shoots 40% from 3 minimum? Every team in the league wants one of these, but how many of these actually exist?

Yeah just a guy who would require a hand in the face, not even toughly guard outside would be enough.
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Playoffs R1 Discussion Thread - Kings vs Warriors 

Post#273 » by jeffjtk1234 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 pm

Well damn, this sucks

And where was Davion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#274 » by codydaze » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:58 pm

I wonder if we make a play for OG? I really don't want to give up Keegan so would we even have the assets to get it done?
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#275 » by blind prophet » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:59 pm

jeffjtk1234 wrote:Well damn, this sucks

And where was Davion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes no sense.

If someone does think it was an ok decision by Brown I'd like to know why.

But let's say he rolled with Davion instead. We go down 10-12 and are ice cold. Well at that point I could see the gamble with Davis.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#276 » by blind prophet » Mon May 1, 2023 12:02 am

codydaze wrote:I wonder if we make a play for OG? I really don't want to give up Keegan so would we even have the assets to get it done?

I'm not sure.

I think his trade value is extremely inflated over at the T&T board.

Also only 1 year left as he will likely decline his PO

So on draft night we have to make the pick. You offer that pick after selection and a somewhat protected 2026 pick...(whenever we can trade one) with some fillers, ideally Holmes.

But that would only potentially work if Toronto wants to rebuild. They'd also have to really like what was there when it was our time to pick.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#277 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 1, 2023 12:03 am

Could the reason Brown went SO much away from Davion be because he had ran out of legs? I mean he was guarding Steph the whole time he was on the floor pretty much and we know Steph wears guys out.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,696

Post#278 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon May 1, 2023 12:04 am

What a series! I was very impressed by the Knigs. Monk gave me nightmares. He's a legit player and I think upgrading at the wing defensively would allow the Kings to go with Fox/Monk as a backcourt pairing for the future. I was also quite impressed by Trey Lyles. I've wanted the Warriors to have a back-up big in the vein of him for ages!
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#279 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 1, 2023 12:11 am

blind prophet wrote:
codydaze wrote:I wonder if we make a play for OG? I really don't want to give up Keegan so would we even have the assets to get it done?

I'm not sure.

So on draft night we have to make the pick. You offer that pick after selection and a somewhat protected 2026 pick...(whenever we can trade one) with some fillers, ideally Holmes.

But that would only potentially work if Toronto wants to rebuild. They'd also have to really like what was there when it was our time to pick.

It can't be Holmes though. The Raptors fan base would riot if they gave up a 1st for Poetl only to trade OG for Holmes and two firsts which means your either not bringing Poetl back or bringing Holmes off the bench.
Holmes would need a first (#24) to get out from under IMO. So you're trading a 2026 pick for OG. Good deal if you can get it.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#280 » by blind prophet » Mon May 1, 2023 12:18 am

OxAndFox wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

I'm not sure.

It can't be Holmes though. The Raptors fan base would riot if they gave up a 1st for Poetl only to trade OG for Holmes and two firsts which means your either not bringing Poetl back or bringing Holmes off the bench.
Holmes would need a first (#24) to get out from under IMO. So you're trading a 2026 pick for OG. Good deal if you can get it.

That freaking Holmes contract is terrible. PO option too he is most likely to pick up as well after next season.

Reminds me of Jarl Thompandry.

All we have left salary wise is Huerter & Monk really.

Maybe OG is unattainable.

Return to Sacramento Kings