ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoffs R1 Discussion Thread - Kings vs Warriors

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Re: Playoffs R1 Discussion Thread - Kings vs Warriors 

Post#281 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 1, 2023 12:19 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:What a series! I was very impressed by the Knigs. Monk gave me nightmares. He's a legit player and I think upgrading at the wing defensively would allow the Kings to go with Fox/Monk as a backcourt pairing for the future. I was also quite impressed by Trey Lyles. I've wanted the Warriors to have a back-up big in the vein of him for ages!

Well it was Brown's time at the Warriors that changed Trey quite a bit this season.
He mentioned to him when he got here that the Warriors always knew he would pump fake. It would be pump fake and pump fake and it gave the D time to rotate. He told him to stop doing it and just shoot it. It was great when he did it and then it opened up for legitimate pump fakes and drives.
The only times he played poorly was when he got back into old habits.

Think his performance in this series bumped his pay up $2m more.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#282 » by OGSactownballer » Mon May 1, 2023 12:20 am

codydaze wrote:
wco81 wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:What we saw ultimately is the giant hole in the roster at PF on both ends of the floor.

I love Harrison and he did exactly what was needed this season by being the steady veteran influence for a young team coming up.

That said, his time has laser and he doesn’t fit what we need most now that all then you get guys have had a real taste of the full range of a playoff series.

We need a guy at that spot that compliments Domas. And that means:

Good size.

40% from three minimum.

Top end - all nba caliber if possible - defender of all front court positions.

Far too often it looked like Domas was working alone out there on both ends against three 6’ 9” heavier bodied guys. That won’t work and it would have been worse in the next round.

I am still of the mind that if we cannot find and swing a trade for the right guy, we need to throw an overpay offer at Grant Williams. He fits the needs ideally. And it could easily be a Jermaine O’Neal type situation where he totally blossoms as a starter.

40% from 3 for a 4 is a big ask.

HB shot 37% for the season.

I was a HB fan because he provided athleticism that the Warriors didn't have though obviously they were going to move on from him once KD joined.

Harrison didn't have a good series, though he had minutes when he attacked mismatches with Steph switched on him. Then he had a big highlight dunk off a slash cut to the rim, so reminiscent of his first couple of seasons with the Warriors.

Yeah at his age and salary, Kings might have to move on but a stretch 4 may be hard to find.

I really want Naz Reid. I think he can start next to Sabonis and is attainable with Minny committing to Gobert and Towns.

I agree about Reid - who is a high thirties shooter from three at worst.

But even though he’s a bit taller than Williams, I don’t think he has the inate defensive ability.

And for the others, I said all NBA caliber defense. I’m not an idiot, I’m not saying that you go out and just find an All NBA guy unless you pony up for a Siakam - which I would be all over.

But Williams is a 40% from three guy who defends at an elite level. I don’t know if he will ever be an all star but I’m not expecting that either. I expect that when he isn’t playing back up to a guy (Tatum) who arguably could have been the league MVP this year and is now a perennial candidate for that, he looks to turn out to be a high level starter on the right team and his fit here is undeniable. He’s Trey with starter upside.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#283 » by OGSactownballer » Mon May 1, 2023 12:23 am

codydaze wrote:I wonder if we make a play for OG? I really don't want to give up Keegan so would we even have the assets to get it done?

I’m not a fan of guys that have a bad injury history and cost you everything for the next five to six years to get.

I’d rather shoot the whole wad on a guy that plays 75+ games a year regularly or a fit guy.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Post#284 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 1, 2023 12:25 am

blind prophet wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
I'm not sure.

I think his trade value is extremely inflated over at the T&T board.

Also only 1 year left as he will likely decline his PO

So on draft night we have to make the pick. You offer that pick after selection and a somewhat protected 2026 pick...(whenever we can trade one) with some fillers, ideally Holmes.

But that would only potentially work if Toronto wants to rebuild. They'd also have to really like what was there when it was our time to pick.

It can't be Holmes though. The Raptors fan base would riot if they gave up a 1st for Poetl only to trade OG for Holmes and two firsts which means your either not bringing Poetl back or bringing Holmes off the bench.
Holmes would need a first (#24) to get out from under IMO. So you're trading a 2026 pick for OG. Good deal if you can get it.

That freaking Holmes contract is terrible. PO option too he is most likely to pick up as well after next season.

Reminds me of Jarl Thompandry.

All we have left salary wise is Huerter & Monk really.

Maybe OG is unattainable.

Yeah I think Monte might have some words with Brown about showcasing him early next season. Hopefully, all his drama is gone and he can get some form back.
Still believe in him. But the amount of teams requiring a 5 isn't many.

The trade kicker is what hurts a little bit too.

But having said that if we can get an expiring contract for Holmes using the 1st I do it and throw everything into signing Jaylen Brown. It would be a long, long shot, obviously, but Keegan might be ready to be a PF by that time (24/25 season) and if Sasha is here for relatively cheap you have yourself a damn good core.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#285 » by blind prophet » Mon May 1, 2023 12:27 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
codydaze wrote:I wonder if we make a play for OG? I really don't want to give up Keegan so would we even have the assets to get it done?

I’m not a fan of fiys that have a bad injury history and cost you everything for the next five to six years to get.

I’d rather shoot the whole wad on a guy that plays 75+ games a year regularly or a fit guy.

That is a great point.

See Otto Porter for a crumble.

I think OG walks away for nothing. Maybe they sell low at next deadline after not trying to rebuild. But the cost still would be too much for us as he probably leaves us for nothing if we did.

With more thought, we need a guy on a couple year contract or a RFA.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#286 » by OGSactownballer » Mon May 1, 2023 12:28 am

blind prophet wrote:
jeffjtk1234 wrote:Well damn, this sucks

And where was Davion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes no sense.

If someone does think it was an ok decision by Brown I'd like to know why.

But let's say he rolled with Davion instead. We go down 10-12 and are ice cold. Well at that point I could see the gamble with Davis.

Mike Brown highlighted two things that were highly questionable in his stint with Cleveland.

The first is his propensity to cut down to a set eight man rotation and stick to it no matter what - and I don’t give him a pass for a desperation throw in of Terence Davis the last two games. That was a no choice decision.

The second is his tendency to “let them work it out”. That was NEVER going to work against these guys with Steph being full on MVP style Steph and the obvious game plan by Kerr was “hand the rock to Steph and get him open and crash the boards on both ends”.

There were a number of personnel and stoppage options for an obviously overwhelmed young team that could have been used and weren’t.

That’s straight up a coaching error. And there’s no two ways about it.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#287 » by OGSactownballer » Mon May 1, 2023 12:40 am

blind prophet wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:

I’m not a fan of fiys that have a bad injury history and cost you everything for the next five to six years to get.

That is a great point.

See Otto Porter for a crumble.

I think OG walks away for nothing. Maybe they sell low at next deadline after not trying to rebuild. But the cost still would be too much for us as he probably leaves us for nothing if we did.

With more thought, we need a guy on a couple year contract or a RFA.

Think about historically how we have obtained guys like that and you see that you are right on point.

Webber and Domas are your prime examples - although there have been others.

Obtained with two to three years remaining in their deal. Centerpiece to a contender level team and treated like real kings by a fanatically loyal fan base. Paid max without question.

The problem with OG is that he comes here and is at best the third option (if Keegan doesn’t continue hi development arc) and only has one year. And his timeline for contract clashes with the need to Max Domas when he expires.

I don’t feel that he is a good option. I think you take the $27 million or so that we will have (renounce Barnes, Len and whatever other guys and resign only those that will take reasonable deals plus the cap increase) and you go out and hope you can pick up Williams at @ $15 - $17 million per or as much as $20 if you need to to get it done. Troll the market for a cheap but effective short minute B/U Center and pick a SG/wing type to develop. Use the free year you have to see if Edwards can develop into a true 3 & D guy that is effective to at least the 6/7/8 guy level in a contender and roll. Keep flexibility and move pieces as needed in the future.
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#288 » by jeffjtk1234 » Mon May 1, 2023 2:58 am

Davion needed to play more period, but oh well, great season still! Excited for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,618

Post#289 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 1, 2023 3:26 am

I know many on this board are excited about bringing Sasha over. I'm not sure what he really solves for this team. Im guessing defensively he would have been less playable than Lyles. I'd prefer to resign lyles over bring over Sasha and I think that's what it comes down to.

Naz reid is a great target. Weak side help defense, rebounding. It's not the sexy move, but seems like he fits what we need. Minnesota has Jaden, Kyle, Gobert, Towns, Prince, so I'm not sure they will tie up money their with back court needs.

Sign Naz
Trade Huerter, Holmes + picks for Holiday.
Resign Lyles

Fox/mitchell
Holiday/monk
Murray
Reid/Lyles
Sabonis
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#290 » by codydaze » Mon May 1, 2023 3:36 am

LightTheBeam wrote:I know many on this board are excited about bringing Sasha over. I'm not sure what he really solves for this team. Im guessing defensively he would have been less playable than Lyles. I'd prefer to resign lyles over bring over Sasha and I think that's what it comes down to.

Naz reid is a great target. Weak side help defense, rebounding. It's not the sexy move, but seems like he fits what we need. Minnesota has Jaden, Kyle, Gobert, Towns, Prince, so I'm not sure they will tie up money their with back court needs.

Sign Naz
Resign Lyles

Fox/mitchell
Holiday/monk
Murray
Reid/Lyles
Sabonis

I think Vezenkov would bring a suped up version of Bjelica to this team as another sniper who can get himself open off ball and space the floor. I don't think I would move Huerter for Holiday either. He crapped the bed this series for sure but I think trading him for Holiday who said himself he's considering retirement at the end of his deal would be a mistake.

My ideal summer is bring back Lyles, bring over Sasha and sign Naz Reid (4/60?) and Jalen McDaniels (3/24?). We can probably get this done without moving off Holmes deal but hopefully we can still find a way to move off that deal.

Fox - Davion
Huerter - Monk - Ellis
Keegan - McDaniels - Kessler
Reid - Vezenkov
Sabonis - Lyles - Queta

Hope Queta develops into a piece that can play situational minutes if we need more size.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,618

Post#291 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 1, 2023 3:54 am

codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:I know many on this board are excited about bringing Sasha over. I'm not sure what he really solves for this team. Im guessing defensively he would have been less playable than Lyles. I'd prefer to resign lyles over bring over Sasha and I think that's what it comes down to.

Sign Naz
Resign Lyles

Fox/mitchell
Holiday/monk
Murray
Reid/Lyles
Sabonis

I think Vezenkov would bring a suped up version of Bjelica to this team as another sniper who can get himself open off ball and space the floor. I don't think I would move Huerter for Holiday either. He crapped the bed this series for sure but I think trading him for Holiday who said himself he's considering retirement at the end of his deal would be a mistake.

My ideal summer is bring back Lyles, bring over Sasha and sign Naz Reid (4/60?) and Jalen McDaniels (3/24?). We can probably get this done without moving off Holmes deal but hopefully we can still find a way to move off that deal.

Fox - Davion
Huerter - Monk - Ellis
Keegan - McDaniels - Kessler
Reid - Vezenkov
Sabonis - Lyles - Queta

Hope Queta develops into a piece that can play situational minutes if we need more size.

That would be awesome if he panned out. Brown seems to not like Lyles as the backup 5 though, which is why I'm thinking it's Lyles or Sasha.

Holiday is a little on the older side. But I think this team definitely needs another guard who can defend and create for themselves The better options like Bridges are probably not attainable. Adding reid is great, but our perimeter defense is equally bad. Klay, wiggins, curry all took turns running layup drills on huerter.

Jalen could be a good piece also. Wouldn't mind finding a way to grab him also.

To me this is the key year. Sabonis and Monk are free agents next year and will eat the rest of our cap space. We have 25 something million in space, we have huerter/Holmes to give us 25 million+ in contracts to trade. We have multiple 1sts we can include. I want to add a real difference maker. Naz is a great fit, he's gonna fill some of those holes, but he's not a needle mover by himself. Jalen is flash right now, hopefully he continues to improve but who knows. Sasha is entirely unknown. Tons of those euro guys look like Dirk overseas then come here and flop. I know our team is better now, but to me that kind of feels like a vlade offseason of adding bjelica, dedmond. On paper good fits, but not really great players.

You sign Naz, you sign Jalen, then you throw Huerter/Holmes/24/26 1st/28 1st and see what's the best you can get. Holiday is the mold, maybe not the right guy.

Would SA ever consider moving Vassell as they look for real stars? Probably not but I can dream.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#292 » by SacTown Kings » Mon May 1, 2023 4:20 am

Great season. Disappointed by the loss today, especially since I took my little daughter to the game and wanted that celebratory moment with her but maybe next year. Kings just aren’t there yet and I’m ok with that. The future looks bright.

If we can keep a core of Fox,Monk,Sabonis, Murray, Mitchell and maybe Lyles and add a rebounder/weak side defender we will go far. I like the idea of adding Naz.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,087

Post#293 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 1, 2023 4:50 pm

Hey Kings' fans, I hope it's not too early for a Warriors' fan to chime in but I wanted to congratulate you guys on your season and I hope you are right back in the playoffs next year. Coach Brown did a great job with your team and Fox took a huge step as a leader. Just get a couple of defensive minded players and you will be a tough challenge for anyone.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe

Return to Sacramento Kings