Post#1 » by City of Trees » Mon May 1, 2023 2:09 am

Lots to discuss after the Kings lose game 7
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Re: 2023 Off-season Thread 

Post#2 » by codydaze » Mon May 1, 2023 3:05 am

Going to sticky this. Huge offseason for us coming up. Really need to nail this summer to get over the hump into a true contender.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#3 » by B-King » Mon May 1, 2023 7:42 am

You guys have a great future ahead of yourself and it was a shame Fox and Sabonis were not at 100%. The series easily could have flipped in your favor. The Kings will continue to be in the championship mix with this core group.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,616

Post#4 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 1, 2023 11:00 am

Okay have had good convos about Kuzma and Reid. I think they each bring something different to the team. Why not both? Overly optimistic here.

Washington s&t Kuzma to us. Holmes, 24 headed to Washington.

Remaining cap space to reid and Lyles.

Both of these guys fill some needs for us. Neither player does everything but together they fill most of the front court holes.

Rotation would be something like

Sabonis (34) / Reid (14)
Kuzma (22) / lyles (16) / Reid (10)
Murray (33) / Kuzma (11) / Huerter (4)
Huerter (24) / Monk (24)
Fox (33) / Mitchell (15)

We all love Sabonis, but realistically I don't see him as a go to scorer ever in the playoffs. Its just not his style, he's passive and wants to be the playmaker. He will still get his and have series where he can dominate, but Kuzma steps up as another iso scorer to take pressure off monk/fox.

These 2 guys improve the defense significantly, add another scorer, improve rebounding, adds a weak side rim protector, and have to be respected from 3.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#5 » by donkeylips » Mon May 1, 2023 2:57 pm

i want them to look at cam johnson or grant williams
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#6 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 1, 2023 8:07 pm

donkeylips wrote:i want them to look at cam johnson or grant williams

I'm pretty certain Brooklyn is going to match any offer for Cam Johnson.

I was big on the Grant Williams idea. My concern is that if you look at the trends, his minutes were decreased throughout the season by Boston. Hauser seems to be sharing his role in the playoffs. This could be Boston being overloaded with defensive players and needing the shooting of Hauser. But some of the Celtics reddit seems to think he's going to dupe a team into giving him money only to let them down.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Post#7 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 1, 2023 11:36 pm

I'm pretty sure Lyles will be back.
Sasha will come over as well so Barnes is the one that goes. Anyone worried about Sasha shouldn't be.
If you think the offense was great last season, the Kings would beat it with him instead of Barnes. Just as Sabonis unlocked the offense, Sasha would unlock a new level. The problem with our offense at times was Keegan and Barnes would be a little too stagnant. Sasha moves brilliantly without the ball and Keegan will add some things to his game this off season to give us another shot creator. I think people are going to be surprised by Keegan next season.

We are all thinking about defense and that shouldn't be ignored so a Naz Reid would be great. Ideal fit.
I am thinking perhaps Thybulle is going to be a target too. He shot the 3 a lot better in Portland and isn't as bad as he was in Philly. Around the 34-35% mark. Another experienced perimeter defender would be good for depth too.
Draft Leonard Miller and Nikola Djurisic and the Kings are set. Upgrading both the offense and defense (overall). The starting line-up doesn't have much D there, but they would blow teams off the floor. It's on Domas to become a better defender and again, Keegan will make strides.

Fox/Davion/Vet Defender
Huerter/Monk/Djurisic
Keegan/Thybulle/Edwards
Vezenkov/Lyles/Miller
Sabonis/Reid/Holmes
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#8 » by OGSactownballer » Tue May 2, 2023 12:19 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
donkeylips wrote:i want them to look at cam johnson or grant williams

I'm pretty certain Brooklyn is going to match any offer for Cam Johnson.

I was big on the Grant Williams idea. My concern is that if you look at the trends, his minutes were decreased throughout the season by Boston. Hauser seems to be sharing his role in the playoffs. This could be Boston being overloaded with defensive players and needing the shooting of Hauser. But some of the Celtics reddit seems to think he's going to dupe a team into giving him money only to let them down.

I see this entirely differently and don’t understand how C’s fans who think they should be getting everything and the kitchen sink for Grant Williams in trade suddenly are down talking him.

I see three things here.

One a very healthy Jason Tatum who has been playing massive minutes.

Two a combination of a mandate from the front office to 1) cut down his value and 2) develop his potential replacement.

Three Robert Williams is healthy and Grant okays some minutes at Center.
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#9 » by jeffjtk1234 » Tue May 2, 2023 5:25 am

Lyles needs to come back, it sounds like he has unfinished business here and feels like this is home. He could make a mini leap next year. Top priority imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#10 » by KF10 » Tue May 2, 2023 11:24 pm

Yeah Lyles needs to come back imo.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#11 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 3, 2023 7:47 am

Had a solid back and forth with OxandFox on the t&t board today.

Deal proposed by OP -
Mitchell, Huerter, Holmes, #24, 26 1st, 28 1st, 27 1st swap.

OxandFox can chime in here. But he was on the side that its a move he would make. Siakam is all nba level and a needle mover. Kings get significantly better. Of course would want to know Siakam had plans to resign with us.

I felt it was too much. Seeing Minnesota pay this price for Gobert, it's the wrong move. Siakam is nearing 30. He answers a lot of problems, but he's not a perfect fit and losing all those assets + 2 backcourt pieces would be tough to stomach. Huerter, Holmes, 24, 26 1st, 28 1st would be my max. Even then idk if it's the right move.

Where do the rest of you guys fall? Am I undervaluing Siakam? Overvaluing our guys?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,158

Post#12 » by Colbinii » Wed May 3, 2023 3:04 pm

I posted this on the T+T Board. Roast away.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2287109

Kings In: Naz Reid [S+T 3/45], Taurean Prince
Kings Out: Harrison Barnes [S+T 3/60, 3rd year unguaranteed], Davion Mitchell

Timberwolves In: Harrison Barnes [S+T 3/60, 3rd year unguaranteed], Davion Mitchell
Timberwolves Out: Naz Reid [S+T 3/45], Taurean Prince

The Kings build on their previous season, adding size to the front-court and a nice bench wing in Prince.
The Timberwolves add additional veteran leadership in Barnes and a back-up Point Guard in Mitchell, a position they sorely lack.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#13 » by blind prophet » Thu May 4, 2023 3:58 am

I mentioned it over in the T&T forum.

But I am concerned we press too hard this off season. We've got a lot of accolades from Monte, coaching, exceeded expectations.

Afraid we will make some mistakes.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#14 » by blind prophet » Thu May 4, 2023 3:59 am

KF10 wrote:Yeah Lyles needs to come back imo.

He really does. Hopefully the money works out.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#15 » by codydaze » Thu May 4, 2023 8:41 pm

blind prophet wrote:I mentioned it over in the T&T forum.

But I am concerned we press too hard this off season. We've got a lot of accolades from Monte, coaching, exceeded expectations.

I'm not too worried about that honestly. Monte seems very calculated and particular about his moves. I would be more worried about that if we had made some big swings at the deadline but the fact we didn't do much of anything tells me Monte has patience and isn't going to rush things.
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 528

Post#16 » by Silver Man » Thu May 4, 2023 9:04 pm

blind prophet wrote:I mentioned it over in the T&T forum.

I think old Sacramento would but we are so ahead of schedule that I think Monte will continue with his approach hes been having especially with our core being young still.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#17 » by OxAndFox » Thu May 4, 2023 10:51 pm

Just want to put this out there. Are we all looking at the wrong positional upgrade? I mean a lot of things are surrounding a fit for Sabonis at the 4.
Maybe the biggest need is to upgrade the 3. Keegan will eventually be the starting 4. IMO he isn't there yet. Will be by year 3 though.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,035

Post#18 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri May 5, 2023 5:18 am

OxAndFox wrote:Just want to put this out there. Are we all looking at the wrong positional upgrade? I mean a lot of things are surrounding a fit for Sabonis at the 4.
Maybe the biggest need is to upgrade the 3. Keegan will eventually be the starting 4. IMO he isn't there yet. Will be by year 3 though.

I wonder if we could use Barnes (S&T) and Huerter plus picks to pry George away from the Clippers. I think they're possibly done with that experiment and would like to recoup some draft picks and get out from under his salary. But they also need to remain competitive with the new arena so getting quality starters back would be attractive. I'm comfortable with Monk as the starting 2. He's earned it and I think with a veteran like George around he'd raise his game defensively. There's still work to do on the fringes but we have cap space. Adding George would really signal we're going for it so while we usually wouldn't be a hot destination for FA, maybe all the excitement of our run this year and addition of George would entice the right kind of guys?

Fox/Mitchell
Monk/FA
Murray/Edwards
George/FA
Sabonis/Holmes
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#19 » by OGSactownballer » Sat May 6, 2023 6:41 pm

OxAndFox wrote:Just want to put this out there. Are we all looking at the wrong positional upgrade? I mean a lot of things are surrounding a fit for Sabonis at the 4.

No and here’s why.

I NEVER envisioned Keegan as a PF long term. And absolutely not full time at least for another five or more years until he gets physically mature and strong enough to handle the bigger guys.

I did always see him as a perfect modern SF that is a nightmare matchup being big and able to play on the perimeter.

Domas is never going to be a great outside shooter and he absolutely does not have a consistent three point range that is needed for a modern PF to create the stretch factor that opens the floor up. And he is just not laterally quick enough to regularly guard out in the perimeter and that would be exploited very quickly. He needs a floor stretching strong defensive and big PF next to him as much as Keegan does on the other side.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#20 » by OxAndFox » Sun May 7, 2023 10:01 am

OGSactownballer wrote:

No and here’s why.

I NEVER envisioned Keegan as a PF king term. And absolutely not full time at least for another five or more years until he gets physically mature annd strong enough to handle the bigger guys.

I did always see him as a perfect modern SF that is a nightmare matchup being big and able to play on the perimeter.

Domas is never going to be a great outside shooter and he absolutely does not have a consistent three point range that is needed for a modern PF to create the stretch factor that opens the floor up. And he is just not laterally quick enough to regularly guard out in the perimeter and that would be exploited very quickly. He needs a floor stretching string defensive and big PF next to him as much as Keegan does on the other side.

Exactly right. I disagree with the timeline of Keegan though. Only because on your timeline he is 27-28 years old and then a 4. IMO he is going to be there pretty quickly given his age. He will lose puppy fat (which he already has during the season which is a great sign) this off season, but to be a 3/4 he only has this off season (23 yo) and next off season (24 yo) to sculpt his body down before he goes up for a 4, which his twin already is by the look of it.
Older rookies can take the weight off in their first or second off season, generally, and then it's upwards from there. Keegan is going to be no different. I think that will hold him in good stead generally and hopefully he is a 4/3.

Return to Sacramento Kings