2023 Off-season Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Re: 2023 Off-season Thread 

Post#481 » by OxAndFox » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:56 pm

Hal14 wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:I apologize for the long post but please bear with me. I have been thinking about this a lot lately and Monte's recent Athletic interview I think justifies what a lot of people here, myself included, believe his plan is. Flexibility to bring in another star player.
Now, I think Keegan is going to be here long term, he's (Monte) THAT high on him. So if he is not trading Keegan (maybe he has to, who knows?), Fox, Sabonis and it's a superstar, then how is he getting it done, particularly cap wise? It has to be when Keegan is on his rookie deal.

Now I believe with Barnes/Vezenkov/Lyles/Huerter/Davion/Duarte/Jones he has enough team-friendly/flexible contracts along with 26/28/30 draft picks. I will say, at THIS point it would be a superstar asking out and wanting to play in Sacramento. I know, shock right? But it could be a thing if the Kings have another good season.
SO, who is the superstar Monte WOULD or COULD chase if they ask out that a) fits the Kings' style and b) is under 27yo?

Nobody is trading a superstar for those role players and late 1st round picks.

As I mentioned. It would be for a player asking out and wanting to play in Sacramento. This isn't a case where it's a full market and depending on how the Dame situation pans out players won't give a list of teams, they will select a team.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#482 » by OxAndFox » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:10 pm

Hal14 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:All I know is Queta isn't ready right now.

Thought we needed to get coach some other options at center.

OxAndFox wrote:He isn't ready to contribute right now

What makes you guys think that?

I'm not a Kings fan, but it seems to me that he just wasn't give the chance to play. Only had ONE game all of last season where he played more than 5 minutes. And I watched some film of that game (december 21 vs lakers) and he looked solid. He also was a candidate for MVP in the g league and I watched some film of the first 2 kings summer league games this year and he looked good then too.

From the film I've seen, I don't really see any reason why he could get some minutes here and there off the bench - even for a playoff team.

He's a rock solid 7'0", moves pretty well for his size. Soft touch around the rim, even soft touch in the mid range. Solid passer, DHO guy, screener, really good lob threat. Good rim protector, holds his own decently well when switching out on the perimeter. Plays hard, good motor. Might need to clean some stuff up with defending PnR but I see upside for him to continue to get better over the next couple of years..

Not saying he isn't worth putting more time into. IMO the Kings should have gone with him as the 3rd center.
He simply isn't at the stage where he can contribute to winning games.
Queta is a guy that can give you something if you put a lot of time into. He's not aggressive enough as an impact player on a team like the Kings. I trust the Kings know what they have in him after having much more data than I have.
This could change and at 24 the next couple of seasons are huge for him. Hope he gets a chance somewhere. Chicago, Washington perhaps.

Honestly, Duop Reath is a better player right now than Queta and he would suit better in Sacramento while Queta would be better in Portland. He is also a little too conservative when getting playing time, but does a lot of good things on the floor for a vet team.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,262

Post#483 » by Hal14 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:15 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:I apologize for the long post but please bear with me. I have been thinking about this a lot lately and Monte's recent Athletic interview I think justifies what a lot of people here, myself included, believe his plan is. Flexibility to bring in another star player.
Now, I think Keegan is going to be here long term, he's (Monte) THAT high on him. So if he is not trading Keegan (maybe he has to, who knows?), Fox, Sabonis and it's a superstar, then how is he getting it done, particularly cap wise? It has to be when Keegan is on his rookie deal.

Now I believe with Barnes/Vezenkov/Lyles/Huerter/Davion/Duarte/Jones he has enough team-friendly/flexible contracts along with 26/28/30 draft picks. I will say, at THIS point it would be a superstar asking out and wanting to play in Sacramento. I know, shock right? But it could be a thing if the Kings have another good season.
SO, who is the superstar Monte WOULD or COULD chase if they ask out that a) fits the Kings' style and b) is under 27yo?

Nobody is trading a superstar for those role players and late 1st round picks.

As I mentioned. It would be for a player asking out and wanting to play in Sacramento. This isn't a case where it's a full market and depending on how the Dame situation pans out players won't give a list of teams, they will select a team.

KD chose the suns. Yet phoenix still had to gave up Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson plus a boatload of picks. That's 2 starters, both in their prime, 1 of them being a borderline all-star and arguably the best perimeter defender in the league.

Kyrie chose Dallas, yet dallas still had to give up 2 starters (dinwiddie, DFS) and picks for Kyrie, even though he was on an expiring contract.

AD chose the lakers. Yet the lakers still had to give up 2 really good blue chip prospects in Ingram and Lonzo. Ingram turned out to be an all-star and LOnzo could've been an all-star if not for his knee injury.

Dame is choosing Miami, but Miami still has to give up value. If Miami could just trade picks, Lowry and Duncan robinson, the deal would have been made a long time ago. But guess what? Dame has a contract. KD had a contract. These guys have contracts so their team has the leverage. Players don't have leverage just because they request a trade. The team has the leverage and will only trade that player if they get sufficient value in return. Otherwise, the league will step in and veto the trade if it's too lopsided.

Also, no one is requesting a trade to Sacramento.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#484 » by OxAndFox » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:26 am

Hal14 wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Nobody is trading a superstar for those role players and late 1st round picks.

KD chose the suns. Yet phoenix still had to gave up Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson plus a boatload of picks. That's 2 starters, both in their prime, 1 of them being a borderline all-star and arguably the best perimeter defender in the league.

Kyrie chose Dallas, yet dallas still had to give up 2 starters (dinwiddie, DFS) and picks for Kyrie, even though he was on an expiring contract.

AD chose the lakers. Yet the lakers still had to give up 2 really good blue chip prospects in Ingram and Lonzo. Ingram turned out to be an all-star and LOnzo could've been an all-star if not for his knee injury.

Dame is choosing Miami, but Miami still has to give up value. If Miami could just trade picks, Lowry and Duncan robinson, the deal would have been made a long time ago. But guess what? Dame has a contract. KD had a contract. These guys have contracts so their team has the leverage. Players don't have leverage just because they request a trade. The team has the leverage and will only trade that player if they get sufficient value in return. Otherwise, the league will step in and veto the trade if it's too lopsided.

Also, no one is requesting a trade to Sacramento.

For sure the true high-end guys, Luka, Embiid, Giannis etc are out of reach.
Go from the high end there, KD, to the low end, Kyrie, who was traded for 1 first. Dinwiddie and DFS as a pair are below a Barnes/Huerter combo, IMO by a decent enough margin given DFS poor form, the age profile of the quartet and contract situations.
Add in an extra 2 first round picks, two of which are before the 2029 ones and I think I know which package is far, far superior. It's really not even close, so while that Kings package isn't close to the Suns' one, you just proved it's not as bad as you say.

Don't be so sure about anybody requesting a trade to Sacramento either. Players know what's up and the Kings play an attractive brand of ball and Brown is one of the most popular coaches in the NBA. Things turn quickly in the NBA.
Is it likely to happen? No. But it's not as remote as it once was.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,785

Post#485 » by BoogieTime » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:19 am

I'm here for giving the local kid trying to do good a chance, in Jordan Ford.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#486 » by blind prophet » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:14 pm

BoogieTime wrote:I'm here for giving the local kid trying to do good a chance, in Jordan Ford.

He showed some capacity in SL to run an offense. Could end up being a cheap budget guy used sparingly.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#487 » by blind prophet » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:18 pm

Hal14 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:All I know is Queta isn't ready right now.

Thought we needed to get coach some other options at center.

OxAndFox wrote:He isn't ready to contribute right now

What makes you guys think that?

I'm not a Kings fan, but it seems to me that he just wasn't give the chance to play. Only had ONE game all of last season where he played more than 5 minutes. And I watched some film of that game (december 21 vs lakers) and he looked solid. He also was a candidate for MVP in the g league and I watched some film of the first 2 kings summer league games this year and he looked good then too.

From the film I've seen, I don't really see any reason why he could get some minutes here and there off the bench - even for a playoff team.

He's a rock solid 7'0", moves pretty well for his size. Soft touch around the rim, even soft touch in the mid range. Solid passer, DHO guy, screener, really good lob threat. Good rim protector, holds his own decently well when switching out on the perimeter. Plays hard, good motor. Might need to clean some stuff up with defending PnR but I see upside for him to continue to get better over the next couple of years..

Well it isn't just us. The organization let him go.

He doesn't have a high motor, he is often awkward, thrown around, seems to be low IQ. Has trouble finishing in traffic.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,613

Post#488 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:19 pm

Read on Twitter
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,545

Post#489 » by codydaze » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:59 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think all Kings fans are aware that the ceiling of this team depends entirely on how we develop/improve the roster to become a better defensive team.

I think the first step is to look for a defensive forward to pair with Sabonis before we ever look to move him. He was a huge part this franchise's turnaround and it would be a disservice to him and this team if we move him within the next three years. I think you look to fill the holes in the roster around Fox/Sabonis/Keegan for the next few years and if that doesn't work then you look to pivot. Fox would still be at the peak of his prime by then with Keegan just entering his.

Can't say I'm too mad though with the Kings discourse shifting from "breaking the playoff drought" to "seriously contending for a title". I'll take that criticism over the former all day.

Return to Sacramento Kings