ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings Need a Top Free Agent

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

kevin44
Senior
And1: 8

Kings Need a Top Free Agent 

Post#1 » by kevin44 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:16 pm

It was great to see them in the playoffs but if they don't make a big move I believe they are going to worse this season. The Nuggets,Suns, Warriors and even the Lakers are better. I hope they just don't plan on bringing Barnes back. They have the cap space and need to go over if they want to compete with the Nuggets or Suns. Who are they going after?
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Re: Kings Need a Top Free Agent 

Post#2 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:30 am

No, they do not.

They need to get bigger - especially at PF. They need to get deeper and get front court bench scoring that is reliable. They need to develop more muscle and grit and work on improving defensive performance.

What they do not need to do is make desperation knee jerk reaction trades because old teams who are in a donut now or flail and fail situation make those moves.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Post#3 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:56 am

How are the Warriors going to improve? Kuminga/Moody for sure will. Wiggins being there will.
CP3/GP2/Klay/Dray/Looney are not going to improve. They will regress if anything. Steph will hold firm.

I agree that others are improving, but so are the Kings. They're not in their 30s, they're mid 20s players that still have some growth.
Just don't do anything stupid, and I don't think Monte will. Hold firm, keep flexibility and improve. Now isn't the time for an all in gamble.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,038

Post#4 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:18 am

Western Conference is a bloodbath. Without a major trade or acquisition I think our newfound success will be very short lived. I think we'd need a substantial acquisition at the 4 to keep pace with everyone else. Seems like after the draft, even before FA, other teams have made better improvements.

Thunder draft a backup PG in Wallace and gets Chet back
Pelicans get a shooter in the draft in Hawkins and Zion back
Grizzlies get Smart via trade, Adams and Clarke back and likely improvements from Roddy, LaRavia, Lofton
Mavericks got rid of Bertans, traded for Holmes, drafted Lively who is a perfect fit next to Doncic plus OMP
Warriors got rid of Poole, got Chris Paul, drafted Poole's replacement and also drafted Davis-Jackson
Nuggets traded back into the draft and got much needed depth in Pickett, Strawther and Tyson
Suns traded for Beal and drafted a nice role player in Camara
Timberwolves got two draft steals in Miller and Clark to improve their depth
Lakers draft ready to contribute Hood-Schifino and Max Lewis
Clippers get ready to contribute much needed depth in Brown and Miller

even the basement dwelling Blazers, Jazz, Spurs and Rockets all drafted difference makers and will be tougher to beat.

So seriously, how do we keep up? Who do we go after? We cannot just run it back.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#5 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:05 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:Western Conference is a bloodbath. Without a major trade or acquisition I think our newfound success will be very short lived. I think we'd need a substantial acquisition at the 4 to keep pace with everyone else. Seems like after the draft, even before FA, other teams have made better improvements.

Thunder draft a backup PG in Wallace and gets Chet back
Pelicans get a shooter in the draft in Hawkins and Zion back
Grizzlies get Smart via trade, Adams and Clarke back and likely improvements from Roddy, LaRavia, Lofton
Mavericks got rid of Bertans, traded for Holmes, drafted Lively who is a perfect fit next to Doncic plus OMP
Warriors got rid of Poole, got Chris Paul, drafted Poole's replacement and also drafted Davis-Jackson
Nuggets traded back into the draft and got much needed depth in Pickett, Strawther and Tyson
Suns traded for Beal and drafted a nice role player in Camara
Timberwolves got two draft steals in Miller and Clark to improve their depth
Lakers draft ready to contribute Hood-Schifino and Max Lewis
Clippers get ready to contribute much needed depth in Brown and Miller

even the basement dwelling Blazers, Jazz, Spurs and Rockets all drafted difference makers and will be tougher to beat.

So seriously, how do we keep up? Who do we go after? We cannot just run it back.

Well, we also started in front of everyone else. Vezenkov is coming over so that's essentially 1 FA that we have before free agency.

What everyone needs to keep in mind, with the Holmes trade Monte got a great TPE that is going to be a great asset when he wants to use it before it expires.
Potential $33m in cap space and a large TPE. Lots to play with, plus Vezenkov.
Sactown33
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#6 » by Sactown33 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:43 pm

I wouldn’t say they need a top free agent, but they do need an upgrade for a starting caliber PF. Plenty to look at in FA but my favorites would be guys like Hachimura, Cam Johnson, or PJ Washington. Should be a bit cheaper than Kuzma and Grant. Would also love to pull off a sign and trade of Barnes for Naz Reid.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#7 » by blind prophet » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:56 pm

Wanted to point out some other considerations, not cash lol.

But yes cash, the Holmes salary savings is not just this year, but next year as well. I'd of been shocked if he didn't opt in if he stayed here.

We could also make a trade.

We could in theory even wait until the deadline if nothing comes up that Monte likes.

To me you either play it safe and maybe over pay Barnes, or make sure you really like what we get in FA. If not then wait and see what trades open up before the deadline.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#8 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:36 pm

TBH part of me wants the Kings to go and offer Reaves 4/100 just to annoy the Lakers.
kevin44
Senior

Post#9 » by kevin44 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Either the Nuggets or Suns will be playing in the finals next season. The Lakers will have James back and the Warriors with Paul and Wiggins for the whole season will be better than the Kings. The Kings will win more games than Lakers and Warriors but with their current roster I see another first round exit. FarBeyondDriven you are right on the west getting tougher.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#10 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:52 am

kevin44 wrote:Either the Nuggets or Suns will be playing in the finals next season. The Lakers will have James back and the Warriors with Paul and Wiggins for the whole season will be better than the Kings. The Kings will win more games than Lakers and Warriors but with their current roster I see another first round exit. FarBeyondDriven you are right on the west getting tougher.

Yeah, the West got tougher. The Kings also left a lot on the table last season and will improve as much as anyone else.
Right at this moment I have. FA can certainly change things. And don't forget, every single one of these team is 1 injury away from sliding to the bottom too. Health is going to be more important than ever. Don't think the Kings will start 0-4 again, but I also don't think they will a) be as healthy and b) other teams will be a little healthier.

Denver - Have pretty much everyone back
Phoenix - High end talent, but will they have enough depth?
NOP - This is all on health. Keep Zion on the court and it could go even higher.
Clippers - Can be right at the top, but Kawhi misses too many games for that
Sacramento - Will improve as a team and finish with around similar wins
OKC - It's their time. Almost made it last season and will surprise.
Golden State - Everyone gets older each year, but DAMN. Top 7 players average age is 32
Minnesota - This team could be scary good in the POs. Could be ranked higher if Ant makes the leap I think he is
Dallas - Not enough depth at this stage but will still be decent.
Memphis - Early season minus Ja/Tyus/Brooks, add Smart. Need to hit the ground running to be higher
Lakers - If LeBron and AD are being relied upon too much, they will break.
Portland - Even if they go for it I don't see the Blazers higher than this and realistically Utah might be better.
Utah - They will improve from last year and are going to be a tough W against any team.
kevin44
Senior

Post#11 » by kevin44 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:59 pm

The other big problem the kings have is Sabonis extension. They can pay him 120 million over four years. That will not be enough to keep him. He is worth over 40 million per and some team will pay him. If the Kings don't make a big move this off season and then lose Sabonis to free agency next season get use to losing again.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#12 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:07 am

kevin44 wrote:The other big problem the kings have is Sabonis extension. They can pay him 120 million over four years. That will not be enough to keep him. He is worth over 40 million per and some team will pay him. If the Kings don't make a big move this off season and then lose Sabonis to free agency next season get use to losing again.

I will just say. That's quite funny.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,087

Post#13 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:05 am

Draymond?
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#14 » by OxAndFox » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:38 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Draymond?

He's not here.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,087

Post#15 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:03 am

OxAndFox wrote:

He's not here.

:lol:

Will Draymond join the Kings?
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#16 » by OxAndFox » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:23 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

He's not here.

:lol:

Will Draymond join the Kings?

I wouldn't mind it, however, it really depends on, obviously Dray, but also Sabonis. If he feels indifferent about it, walk away. And if the FO has any plans on having Barnes around, Dray means no Barnes as well.
If Sabonis is okay with having Dray as a teammate and the FO doesn't have plans to bring Barnes back, then I would like him on the squad and believe he's worth an overpay for 3 years. So if the Kings are really interested in Kuzma. Who would anyone rather have? Let's say Kuzma at 4/120 or Dray at 3/90? I know which one would bring more success to the franchise.
It's not just Dray the player, it's Dray the coach, the mentor, and what he would bring to this squad from a leadership perspective.
I think Dray is the dirtiest player in the NBA, bar none, but he's also a defensive savant, will stick up for his teammates and go to war with them, and you can't ignore that.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 656

Post#17 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sun Jul 2, 2023 12:39 pm

So far the roster looks like this:

C: Sabonis, Len
PF: Barnes, Lyles
SF: Murray, Vezenko, Edwards
SG: Huerter, Duarte, Jones
PG: Fox, Monk, Mitchell

2 way guys: Keon Ellis and Jalen Slawson

Seems rhe Kings will target a vet min. PG to take a Delladova role. And then I'd assume one is two bags to shore up the front court depth. Thinking Queta I'll he one. Slawson may be a 2 way guy, and they sign a more experienced vet at thr 4/ spot behind lyles.
kevin44
Senior

Post#18 » by kevin44 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 11:10 pm

Nice to have Sabonis extended. The Kings are done spending. I was really hoping they could have upgraded Barnes spot so they could ompete for a ring. I am sure they will win a lot of games and maybe get to the second round of the playoffs.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,717

Post#19 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jul 3, 2023 4:10 pm

Beam Me Up Foxy wrote:So far the roster looks like this:

C: Sabonis, Len
PF: Barnes, Lyles
SF: Murray, Vezenko, Edwards
SG: Huerter, Duarte, Jones
PG: Fox, Monk, Mitchell

2 way guys: Keon Ellis and Jalen Slawson

Seems rhe Kings will target a vet min. PG to take a Delladova role. And then I'd assume one is two bags to shore up the front court depth. Thinking Queta I'll he one. Slawson may be a 2 way guy, and they sign a more experienced vet at thr 4/ spot behind lyles.

They’ll probably sign six more guys to battle it out for the final two spots (like last season). I could see Queta being one of them, but the team needs real depth and I’m not sure he can be that. I’d be searching for defense and rebounding players who can play more than one position.

My wishlist:
Mason Plumlee (really just a 5, but a great Sabonis backup just in case)
Jamychal Green (4/5)
Markieff Morris (4/5)
Terence Davis (2/3)
Torrey Craig (2/3)
Austin Rivers (1/2/3)
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#20 » by donkeylips » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:20 pm

i want ford to get the 3rd two way spot.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.

Return to Sacramento Kings