2023-24 General Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,222

Re: 2023-24 General Thread 

Post#81 » by Colbinii » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:59 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Are the Kings still happy with the Haliburton/Sabonis swap?

What is your opinion? Thats kind of a leading question now, isn't it?

I was about to write about it in the General Thread, that although I'm a huge Domas fan, this might be the year we start hearing a lot about this trade.

I think most Kings fans are happy seeing competitive basketball, and since the trade the Kings have been a playoff team (Domas being a baller and helping Fox grow), so its kind of a back burner thing. And truly, no one knows who won the trade, because it just happened, its going to take years to decipher how the trade affected the teams and if injuries derailed one of these careers etc. Also moves happen every year, good and bad, some you win some you lose, and what good is it to just sit and ruminate over wha could have been?

If Tyrese scorches to a mvp path, it should ultimately shine a light on Vivek's meddling, as that's what precipitated the move, though (his win now mandates)

Well, I'm not a Kings fan, though my earliest memories of basketball and the NBA was watching the KG Wolves taking on the Webber Kings in the playoffs.

I think both Fox and Sabonis are a tier below that of Haliburton as a player/talent (or will be regarded as such within this basketball season).

If the Kings are a perpetual Play-In team over the life of the Fox/Sabonis era while Haliburton leads the Pacers to deeper playoff runs, then I think you will see more Kings fans upset about the trade. If Indiana never grows beyond the 1st Round and neither do the Kings, I expect the Kings fans will be content with the trade.

It is definitely something which will be interesting to play-out over the next 2-3 years for both franchises.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,785

Post#82 » by BoogieTime » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:18 pm

Colbinii wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

I was about to write about it in the General Thread, that although I'm a huge Domas fan, this might be the year we start hearing a lot about this trade.

I think most Kings fans are happy seeing competitive basketball, and since the trade the Kings have been a playoff team (Domas being a baller and helping Fox grow), so its kind of a back burner thing. And truly, no one knows who won the trade, because it just happened, its going to take years to decipher how the trade affected the teams and if injuries derailed one of these careers etc. Also moves happen every year, good and bad, some you win some you lose, and what good is it to just sit and ruminate over wha could have been?

If Tyrese scorches to a mvp path, it should ultimately shine a light on Vivek's meddling, as that's what precipitated the move, though (his win now mandates)

Well, I'm not a Kings fan, though my earliest memories of basketball and the NBA was watching the KG Wolves taking on the Webber Kings in the playoffs.

I think both Fox and Sabonis are a tier below that of Haliburton as a player/talent (or will be regarded as such within this basketball season).

If the Kings are a perpetual Play-In team over the life of the Fox/Sabonis era while Haliburton leads the Pacers to deeper playoff runs, then I think you will see more Kings fans upset about the trade. If Indiana never grows beyond the 1st Round and neither do the Kings, I expect the Kings fans will be content with the trade.

It is definitely something which will be interesting to play-out over the next 2-3 years for both franchises.

On appearance that seems another questionable sentiment your bringing to the board. Is there another option to the bolded?
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#83 » by Colbinii » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:54 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

On appearance that seems another questionable sentiment your bringing to the board. Is there another option to the bolded?

Unless the Kings add a player of higher caliber than Fox/Sabonis--No.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#84 » by BoogieTime » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:07 pm

Colbinii wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Good. So your presence from start to finish was to troll and annoy the board (which you like do elsewhere as well).

Not going to even bother with you detailing how Kings performed last year as a newly formed team, refuting notions of the team's record this year without one of their best players, and how they can indeed be better than the mighty Pacers and Timberwolves in the future.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#85 » by Colbinii » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:16 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Good. So your presence from start to finish was to troll and annoy the board (which you like do elsewhere as well).

No, I'm genuinely curious. Circles are talking about Haliburton as a low-end MVP.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#86 » by BoogieTime » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:31 pm

Colbinii wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

No, I'm genuinely curious. Circles are talking about Haliburton as a low-end MVP.

Which is why it seems like a loaded question to posit, but we'll see the other answers
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#87 » by Colbinii » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:35 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Which is why it seems like a loaded question to posit, but we'll see the other answers

I think a lot of the Kings current ceiling rests on how Murray ends up. Can he be a 18/7/3/1.5/1 wing who shoots 40% from 3 and defends the best wings in the NBA? That can take the Kings to the next level.

Otherwise the team is poised with Barnes/Huerter/Pick(s) to add a caliber of player like that [or better caliber by using Murray].

Ultimately it is hard to win with a PG/Center combo where there isn't rim protection and mediocre caliber wings. The team is definitely exciting though.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#88 » by BoogieTime » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:42 pm

Colbinii wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I think a lot of the Kings current ceiling rests on how Murray ends up. Can he be a 18/7/3/1.5/1 wing who shoots 40% from 3 and defends the best wings in the NBA? That can take the Kings to the next level.

Otherwise the team is poised with Barnes/Huerter/Pick(s) to add a caliber of player like that [or better caliber by using Murray].

Ultimately it is hard to win with a PG/Center combo where there isn't rim protection and mediocre caliber wings. The team is definitely exciting though.

Thank you for the more debatable/approachable opinion. I know you know the game, but sometimes your delivery can catch people sideways.

As I was saying in another thread the west is quite old. I'm looking for the Warriors/Lakers/Suns/Clippers at least to start to give way to the other teams (though there is a lot of young talent in the west, I know).

The Kings for once since Adelman have a coach who gets the most out of his players in Mike Brown. A good coach makes things a lot easier and is an asset building.

We can pick apart the Sabonis/Fox duo for their faults, but going forward, with the west's aging, can that really not be a top 4 west duo in three years? Yeah, you have the young players like Wemby and Chet etc. coming through so who knows.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#89 » by Colbinii » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:09 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Thank you for the more debatable/approachable opinion. I know you know the game, but sometimes your delivery can catch people sideways.

As I was saying in another thread the west is quite old. I'm looking for the Warriors/Lakers/Suns/Clippers at least to start to give way to the other teams (though there is a lot of young talent in the west, I know).

The Kings for once since Adelman have a coach who gets the most out of his players in Mike Brown. A good coach makes things a lot easier and is an asset building.

We can pick apart the Sabonis/Fox duo for their faults, but going forward, with the west's aging, can that really not be a top 4 west duo in three years? Yeah, you have the young players like Wemby and Chet etc. coming through so who knows.

Thanks! I've definitely been working on my approach. Sometimes I can come off a little aggressive but I never mean anything personal unless that'll be very clear.

Yeah, I'm not really into the clippers this year and you can never trust Anthony Davis to stay healthy.

Mike Brown has been a revelation for Sacramento. In Cleveland he was an excellent defensive coach and got a lot out of the players they had but offensively he really didn't have a good grass as most coaches during the 2000s didn't really understand spacing all that well except for Van Gundy. After going to Golden State, it seems like he started to understand something and something clicked where he really understands ball movement and spacing and offensive flow.

Chet is incredible and I actually think jabari Smith is really good and hopefully Keegan Murray can be close to that level of player. I don't think chet is realistically his caliber of player, but I think him and jabari Smith will make for a career long comparison between the two of them which bodes well for Sacramento as I'm still quite high on jabari Smith.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#90 » by City of Trees » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:54 pm

Focusing on the big picture of the trade:

Indiana
Pre trade: One All Star, one year playoff drought

Post trade: One All Star, three year playoff drought

Sacramento

Pre trade: no All Stars, 15 yr playoff drought

Post trade: two All Stars, two All-NBA players, #3 seed in the west, ended playoff drought

How can the Kings not be happy? A lot of folks forget the Kings dumped Hield's contract (that Indy has been attempting to offload since acquiring him) which allowed Kevin Huerter to take the SG spot next to Fox. Also clearing the log jam at PG allowed Fox to develop into the player he is today. Fox gets MVP chatter as well.

Straight up Is Haliburton better than Sabonis? Yep 100%. I love Haliburton the player and the person. Kid can ball.

Did the Kings get better by trading Haliburton/Heild which allowed additional roster moves turning them into the #1 offense in the league? Yep.

I'm happy to be leaving this trade as a Win-Win.

Lastly, Colbinii, I appreciate your last post.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,170

Post#91 » by OxAndFox » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:59 am

Boogie I'm going to put this in the General Thread from the game thread.
So do you need a shot blocker or wing to replace Barnes?

I believe Keegan is going to be a 3 now and into the future. He is guarding 1-4 though depending on match ups.
That would technically mean we need a 4. So ideally I would like to see a guy that can defend the rim at the 4 that can double as the backup 5 and can shoot the 3.
Trouble is these guys don't grow on trees and realistically is there one in the NBA?
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,170

Post#92 » by OxAndFox » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:06 am

Yes, the Kings are happy with it. They're a PO team because of that trade.

Now do people outside of the Kings consider it a win for Sacramento? No, they don't. But that's because people choose to ignore just how good Domas is and his last season was 7th in MVP voting and an All NBA player behind the last 2 MVPs.
You mention Hali is getting low key MVP talk. Well so is Fox. Let's see how he comes back from injury though as I expect it to take some time to get back to the form he showed early in the season.

I do agree that people will choose to see PO runs etc. But right at this point in time it's Sacrameto 1 to Indiana 0.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#93 » by City of Trees » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:11 am

I love the Thunder's roster. Huge J. Williams fan. I think OKC takes this one easy tonight
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#94 » by BoogieTime » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:21 am

City of Trees wrote:I love the Thunder's roster. Huge J. Williams fan. I think OKC takes this one easy tonight

I hope not!

Huerter been improving his team defense so far this season. Domas woke up from those horrible Houston outings
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#95 » by BoogieTime » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:26 am

I'm here for Huerter looking more like this. And the offense has looked a lot better without Davion featuring as the lead playmaker (wow, what was going on in Hou)
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#96 » by City of Trees » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:28 am

I was worried about Chet's length but Sabonis is bullying their whole team. Domas is in for a big night If that's how it's going to be.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#97 » by City of Trees » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:31 am

First time we've seen the beam team this year. What a great first stint for the starters
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 783

Post#98 » by madskillz8 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:37 am

Few notes:

I really like when Sabonis start aggressive on offense. That's clearly the plan

When we play faster without stopping the ball we are unstoppable. Without Fox, mitchell slows our pace. Not saying he is useless, he is. But he should play most of his minutes with Fox.

With Holmgren, OKC now has just too much firepower. Other WC teams are lucky that they have Giddey, and they probably max them because of he's a high pick and fills the stat sheet lol
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#99 » by City of Trees » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:59 am

The Thunder have settled in. Now the real game begins.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#100 » by BoogieTime » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:10 am

Murray is doing some other things, and his defense is improving, but still annoying me with his shooting.

thunder have a great roster, though we have the best player on the floor and a great coach.

Duarte is amiss, and Ellis looks to have Davion's minutes when Fox returns. As I said a few pages ago, Ellis/Jones save us from them.. Davion looked good the other game and helped us win*, but with offensive inconsistency, zero playmaking and overrated D, Ellis just needs his minutes. Now Brown needs to start playing Colby

This will be close to end the game

Return to Sacramento Kings