2023-2024 Trade Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,169

Re: 2023-2024 Trade Thread 

Post#41 » by OxAndFox » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:15 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:We simply aren't going to get Lauri without Keegan and I wouldn't be doing that.
Keegan is showing true two-way potential.
I don't think Keegan will ever get to Lauri's offensive output peak, but lucky there are two ends of the court.
I think a conservative estimate would say Keegan will become a 20ppg scorer. Do the 4-5 ppg make up for the defense? I'm not sure. Unless you think Lauri could become a much more potent offensive player in this system, which he just might.
I would also put money on the Kings would need to take Collins. So it might look like Keegan/Barnes/Huerter for Lauri/Collins.

There's a reason why everyone is asking for Keegan. The league knows how good he can become. Luckily Monte and the FO along with the coaching staff know this too.

Because the team isn't moving Fox/Sabonis and none of the other players have too much value?

He's what you would ask for when dealing with the Kings if you are rebuilding. On the T/T board I doubt he's seen as the sure future all star local media has him as or how Kings fans view him (or other team's fanbase's boards)

Yeah, obviously, but other teams know he's already a good player. I'm not sure he can become an all-star here with Fox and Sabonis ahead of him unless the Kings win a championship. Unless people don't see Domas making it shortly? It's difficult to get 3 players onto the team now (or ever).
Don't forget some of the very same T&T board people would have said the Kings made a mistake drafting Keegan. He is an older rookie. No potential to develop. blah, blah, blah.

Now, just on a quarter of the way through his 2nd season, in a career that could span 15-17 years, teams are clamoring for him.
It's not just that he is the highest-rated prospect we have, it's because he has already raised eyebrows, first last year with his shooting and now with his defense.
Now Lauri is absolutely head and shoulders above him at the moment, but teams are playing asset management here. Take a downgrade now and have a guy that you know is good at the moment and might develop into an all star type in the future for something we may only have for half a season (OG/Siakam) or 1.5 seasons (Lauri).
Both of these teams are outside of the POs so who wants to sign an extension there? Think the Raptor boys might, but Lauri not so much if the Jazz don't back him and improve the team.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,784

Post#42 » by BoogieTime » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:33 am

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:We simply aren't going to get Lauri without Keegan and I wouldn't be doing that.
Keegan is showing true two-way potential.
I don't think Keegan will ever get to Lauri's offensive output peak, but lucky there are two ends of the court.
I think a conservative estimate would say Keegan will become a 20ppg scorer. Do the 4-5 ppg make up for the defense? I'm not sure. Unless you think Lauri could become a much more potent offensive player in this system, which he just might.
I would also put money on the Kings would need to take Collins. So it might look like Keegan/Barnes/Huerter for Lauri/Collins.

There's a reason why everyone is asking for Keegan. The league knows how good he can become. Luckily Monte and the FO along with the coaching staff know this too.

Because the team isn't moving Fox/Sabonis and none of the other players have too much value?

He's what you would ask for when dealing with the Kings if you are rebuilding. On the T/T board I doubt he's seen as the sure future all star local media has him as or how Kings fans view him (or other team's fanbase's boards)

Yeah, obviously, but other teams know he's already a good player. I'm not sure he can become an all-star here with Fox and Sabonis ahead of him unless the Kings win a championship. Unless people don't see Domas making it shortly? It's difficult to get 3 players onto the team now (or ever).
Don't forget some of the very same T&T board people would have said the Kings made a mistake drafting Keegan. He is an older rookie. No potential to develop. blah, blah, blah.

Now, just on a quarter of the way through his 2nd season, in a career that could span 15-17 years, teams are clamoring for him.
It's not just that he is the highest-rated prospect we have, it's because he has already raised eyebrows, first last year with his shooting and now with his defense.
Now Lauri is absolutely head and shoulders above him at the moment, but teams are playing asset management here. Take a downgrade now and have a guy that you know is good at the moment and might develop into an all star type in the future for something we may only have for half a season (OG/Siakam) or 1.5 seasons (Lauri).
Both of these teams are outside of the POs so who wants to sign an extension there? Think the Raptor boys might, but Lauri not so much if the Jazz don't back him and improve the team.

Those teams want to rebuild. Definitely the Jazz do, Markannen is literally treadmilling them. Without Markannen they would be getting top picks, they shouldve moved him last year and the rest of their vets to make a run at Wemby. Toronto might want to head in a similar direction with blowing up their treadmill, rebuilding with youth and losing more games now to get top picks (OG isn't too old, but he may be a worse fit with Barnes and I think is a bit overrated and should not make what he is about to).

The Kings are moving in another direction. They are a good team and will be as long as Fox/Domas are around, and may need something more concrete than question marks - like how good Keegan will become. Lauri would take the guesswork out the equation
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#43 » by OxAndFox » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:15 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Those teams want to rebuild. Definitely the Jazz do, Markannen is literally treadmilling them. Without Markannen they would be getting top picks, they shouldve moved him last year and the rest of their vets to make a run at Wemby. Toronto might want to head in a similar direction with blowing up their treadmill, rebuilding with youth and losing more games now to get top picks (OG isn't too old, but he may be a worse fit with Barnes and I think is a bit overrated and should not make what he is about to).

The Kings are moving in another direction. They are a good team and will be as long as Fox/Domas are around, and may need something more concrete than question marks - like how good Keegan will become. Lauri would take the guesswork out the equation

Completely agree with you. And you don't bail teams out that make bad decisions.
I can guarantee you one of the 3 will be the next Brunson (not Siakam actually, he's too old).
Keegan is only 3 years younger than Lauri. If the Jazz are rebuilding, why do you want a 23yo instead of the 26yo? It's not a huge difference and players generally don't win championships until they're into their 30s as a 1-2 tandem.
Might it be that by the end of the season Keegan "could" have just as much trade value as Lauri and be under team control for another 5-6 years compared to 1? It's called asset management.

To me there's a reason why OKC and NOP aren't in these discussions, they're holding their assets until their guy comes. Now that might be one of these 3 and it's been silent (we should have just learned OKC gets upset when a leak happens ie they knew the Giddey situation 2 years ago and knew it was nothing, but when it was aired recently that they knew, the people that aired it got some angry phone calls).
Anyway, if I'm Monte I let them
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#44 » by OxAndFox » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:20 am

And I will say, the Kings don't have their '24 pick. Teams know it's a weaker draft in terms of overall talent. Better to get some picks further out that will be trade assets before they become players.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#45 » by City of Trees » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:33 am

Toronto's GM backed himself into a corner. It's Dec 16th and his two trade chips are UFA in four months. Contenders arent going to include core players for a potential rental - I consider Keegan a core guy. Raps can get Barnes/Heurter/ and a future pick for one of the two.

A different debate is which player fits the team better- Siakam or OG. Kings struggle with length and Keegan has taken a step defensively so whatever the gap was previously OG>Siakam i feel like the gap has closed a bit with Siakam making up ground. Personally I continue to lean OG
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#46 » by OxAndFox » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:49 am

City of Trees wrote:Toronto's GM backed himself into a corner. It's Dec 16th and his two trade chips are UFA in four months. Contenders arent going to include core players for a potential rental - I consider Keegan a core guy. Raps can get Barnes/Heurter/ and a future pick for one of the two.

A different debate is which player fits the team better- Siakam or OG. Kings struggle with length and Keegan has taken a step defensively so whatever the gap was previously OG>Siakam i feel like the gap has closed a bit with Siakam making up ground. Personally I continue to lean OG

I completely agree. And while I agree with Boogie in general, what I should have also said was just because another GM makes a bad decision doesn't mean you should follow it up with one yourself.
These guys are
I do feel they will have a market, but its flimsy as well. If the pack in the East and West starts separating teams might not be willing to do as much.
Like, look at the West already. GS are 2.5 games out of the 10th place which is Phoenix. They're not chasing them down and everyone expect Houston to be the most vulnerable, but they have the "easiest" schedule remaining in the West. The 10 might already be set and teams might just put the cue in the rack and say, look, the Lakers came from the play in last season, we just need to keep developing continuity, but only if a trade is a must do.
The East is a lot closer, but as Boogie believes, Toronto might be wanting to do a rebuild, but they also owe their pick this year. Do they want to completely rebuild or half compete. I think they don't have a direction TBH and it says a lot about them as a team having 3 "great" players, but it says a lot that they haven't had a winning record since 21-22 and then putting a huge price on their heads.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#47 » by OxAndFox » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:53 am

And City I think the best point was regarding Keegan defense and whether or not that means for the Kings Siakam is a better fit. I would LOVE to add OG with his defense around Keegan/Fox, but the length issue is there and Siakam solves that a little bit, and who knows how he responds to Brown and the staff, I think it would be quite well so sign me up either way.
I don't mind Siakam inside with Sabonis as much as others, don't think it will be an issue, at all. The only thing I worry about is the outside shooting.
If Fox continues to shoot like this, then that takes away that fear a lot.
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#48 » by Crimson King » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:49 pm

What do you think about Keldon Johnson if it’s true he could be on the trade block?

It could be something like Davion + Huerter or Barnes…
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#49 » by BoogieTime » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:57 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Completely agree with you. And you don't bail teams out that make bad decisions.
I can guarantee you one of the 3 will be the next Brunson (not Siakam actually, he's too old).
Keegan is only 3 years younger than Lauri. If the Jazz are rebuilding, why do you want a 23yo instead of the 26yo? It's not a huge difference and players generally don't win championships until they're into their 30s as a 1-2 tandem.
Might it be that by the end of the season Keegan "could" have just as much trade value as Lauri and be under team control for another 5-6 years compared to 1? It's called asset management.

To me there's a reason why OKC and NOP aren't in these discussions, they're holding their assets until their guy comes. Now that might be one of these 3 and it's been silent (we should have just learned OKC gets upset when a leak happens ie they knew the Giddey situation 2 years ago and knew it was nothing, but when it was aired recently that they knew, the people that aired it got some angry phone calls).

We’re speculating that the Jazz want Keegan strictly for Lauri which I haven’t heard, but if they do, part of the reason is that trade would probably make the Jazz worse in the next few years while the Jazz sell off the rest of their vets and rebuild. If Keegan than gets to Lauri’s level in 3-4 years it would be gravy for that direction
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#50 » by OxAndFox » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:56 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

We’re speculating that the Jazz want Keegan strictly for Lauri which I haven’t heard, but if they do, part of the reason is that trade would probably make the Jazz worse in the next few years while the Jazz sell off the rest of their vets and rebuild. If Keegan than gets to Lauri’s level in 3-4 years it would be gravy for that direction

Yes we are speculating. So we can also speculate that if Keegan goes to the Jazz and along with other parts moving it opens up time for Hendricks too. The Jazz may not be pressuring Keegan to attack on D as much and they want him to blossom into the scorer they think he is. He ends the season with a 20ppg stretch after the AS break and while the Kings are absolutely better with Lauri and he is going off for 26-27ppg, the trade is already looking like a bad call from the Kings, letting a potential 20ppg scorer and defender for at the age of 23. And Boogie is now nervous Lauri won't extend and only has 1 season left on his contract.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#51 » by OxAndFox » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:18 pm

Crimson King wrote:What do you think about Keldon Johnson if it’s true he could be on the trade block?

He would be a sensational upgrade from Huerter and is locked into one of the better contracts in the NBA.
Don't know if the Spurs would want Davion TBH. They have Tre Jones and don't even start him and only play him 20mpg which is super weird to me.
Anyway, maybe it needs to be made up in draft capital unless its Heurter/Jones for Johnson if the Spurs see something in Colby.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#52 » by City of Trees » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:18 am

Crimson King wrote:What do you think about Keldon Johnson if it’s true he could be on the trade block?

Feedback I've heard about Keldon is he's talented but hasn't found a reliable level of consistency, sound familiar?

Huerter for Keldon sounds fair. I'd be willing to sweeten the pot to close the deal.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#53 » by BoogieTime » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:55 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Yes we are speculating. So we can also speculate that if Keegan goes to the Jazz and along with other parts moving it opens up time for Hendricks too. The Jazz may not be pressuring Keegan to attack on D as much and they want him to blossom into the scorer they think he is. He ends the season with a 20ppg stretch after the AS break and while the Kings are absolutely better with Lauri and he is going off for 26-27ppg, the trade is already looking like a bad call from the Kings, letting a potential 20ppg scorer and defender for at the age of 23. And Boogie is now nervous Lauri won't extend and only has 1 season left on his contract.

I started the convo saying if the Kings had a good idea of resigning Lauri and mentioned the possible renegotiate/extend
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#54 » by City of Trees » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:16 am

OxAndFox wrote:And City I think the best point was regarding Keegan defense and whether or not that means for the Kings Siakam is a better fit. I would LOVE to add OG with his defense around Keegan/Fox, but the length issue is there and Siakam solves that a little bit, and who knows how he responds to Brown and the staff, I think it would be quite well so sign me up either way.
I don't mind Siakam inside with Sabonis as much as others, don't think it will be an issue, at all. The only thing I worry about is the outside shooting.
Nevermind, I forgot the type of contract Siakam will be looking for on the open market. Pass.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#55 » by BoogieTime » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:27 am

OxAndFox wrote:And City I think the best point was regarding Keegan defense and whether or not that means for the Kings Siakam is a better fit. I would LOVE to add OG with his defense around Keegan/Fox, but the length issue is there and Siakam solves that a little bit, and who knows how he responds to Brown and the staff, I think it would be quite well so sign me up either way.

Anyone in the paint for Domas is an issue, not seeing the ways around it for what his next contract will be

If he hasn’t already played himself out of the Kings plans being a UFA looking for a payday and not being a good rim protector, I’d be shocked if Monte looks to add what Pascal’s outside offensive game has become

Our interest would have come earlier IMO. Pascal used to be serviceable threat outside
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#56 » by OxAndFox » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:07 am

BoogieTime wrote:

Anyone in the paint for Domas is an issue, not seeing the ways around it for what his next contract will be

If he hasn’t already played himself out of the Kings plans being a UFA looking for a payday and not being a good rim protector, I’d be shocked if Monte looks to add what Pascal’s outside offensive game has become

Our interest would have come earlier IMO. Pascal used to be serviceable threat outside

Fair points. Why I don't see it as a major issue is both Domas and Siakam can pass the ball well.
In the POs when you need to get tough buckets inside that's where Siakam comes in handy.

Yes his next contract is going to be massive so you need to be confident he is kind of the missing link. I don't believe he is, even though he is a very good player.
I would rather go for OG, but OG in his current role as a 3&D guy that isn't a feature of the offense so it doesn't take shots away from Keegan. I don't think OG would be happy with that though, but I'm not sure, we've heard conflicting reports on whether or not he wants a larger role on offense or not.
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#57 » by Crimson King » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:00 pm

Would you be interested in Lavine?

Personally, I don’t like the fit very much, and his contract is potentially terrible.

I would need at least something to sweetin’ the deal… maybe Lavine/Williams/Caruso for Barnes/Huerter/Mitchell/Duarte or something like that…

I would prefer other options anyways.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#58 » by KF10 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:36 pm

Crimson King wrote:Would you be interested in Lavine?

Personally, I don’t like the fit very much, and his contract is potentially terrible.

I would need at least something to sweetin’ the deal… maybe Lavine/Williams/Caruso for Barnes/Huerter/Mitchell/Duarte or something like that…

I would prefer other options anyways.

Would be surprised if the Bulls add Caruso & Williams to any Lavine deal.

Lavine to Sacramento is interesting. I don't love or hate it. Lavine in a winning situation with a dynamic PG in Fox can be something.

The most I give up is Barnes, Huerter & perhaps Davion for Lavine and Craig.

Fox
Lavine
Keegan
Craig or Lyles or Vezenkov
Sabonis

Adding Lavine would uplift the Kings into the top-10 in offense (they are 14th right now). And remain pat on defense.

I wouldn't be mad at it, tbh.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#59 » by OxAndFox » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:11 am

I'm not really a Lavine guy. If we got him with no draft picks and Huerter/Barnes/Davion then fine, but that contract is a lot.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#60 » by Lost in LA » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:12 am

OxAndFox wrote:I'm not really a Lavine guy. If we got him with no draft picks and Huerter/Barnes/Davion then fine, but that contract is a lot.

The owner can afford the luxury tax, but another weak defender much be too much of a luxury. Also it would make Murray the fourth option which I am not sure works. We need someone who is unselfish who can support the 2 main stars. We need a real back up 5 also.

Return to Sacramento Kings