Kings (21-13) vs Pelicans (21-15)

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,546

Kings (21-13) vs Pelicans (21-15) 

Post#1 » by codydaze » Sun Jan 7, 2024 11:27 pm

Got an early afternoon start against a team that has had our number all year. Zion is out tonight for the Pels and Lyles is out for Sacramento.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: Kings (21-13) vs Pelicans (21-15) 

Post#2 » by codydaze » Sun Jan 7, 2024 11:33 pm

Davion is so bad. I really hope Tyus Jones is a deadline target.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,788

Post#3 » by BoogieTime » Sun Jan 7, 2024 11:49 pm

Fox struggling again I see, Sabonis has been back to being the Kings best player. Fox has had a good season, but I don't want him on the Supermax which I believe would happen if he makes all nba again? If thats true, don't mind some down games here and there as long as they don't affect the record (we would lose today most likely even if he played well)
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#4 » by Lost in LA » Sun Jan 7, 2024 11:56 pm

Being outrebounded 24-6 currently
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#5 » by codydaze » Sun Jan 7, 2024 11:57 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Fox struggling again I see, Sabonis has been back to being the Kings best player. Fox has had a good season, but I don't want him on the Supermax which I believe would happen if he makes all nba again? If thats true, don't mind some down games here and there as long as they don't affect the record (we would lose today most likely even if he played well)

Unless he completely falls of a cliff for the rest of the season, he is making All-NBA. I could never root against our star player playing well.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#6 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jan 8, 2024 12:04 am

codydaze wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Fox struggling again I see, Sabonis has been back to being the Kings best player. Fox has had a good season, but I don't want him on the Supermax which I believe would happen if he makes all nba again? If thats true, don't mind some down games here and there as long as they don't affect the record (we would lose today most likely even if he played well)

Unless he completely falls of a cliff for the rest of the season, he is making All-NBA. I could never root against our star player playing well.

he would only have to fall off by a hair, if he was on pace before, given the talent in the league
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#7 » by codydaze » Mon Jan 8, 2024 12:15 am

BoogieTime wrote:
codydaze wrote:

he would only have to fall off by a hair if he was on pace before, given the talent in the league

the star play is sabonis, was last year and is currently

I know your thing on the board is being reactionary but Fox is absolutely the star on this team. He has had a whopping 4 games where he's scored under 20 points. He's having an even better season than his All NBA season last year, he is 100% making All-NBA again.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#8 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jan 8, 2024 12:22 am

codydaze wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
codydaze wrote:

he would only have to fall off by a hair if he was on pace before, given the talent in the league

I know your thing on the board is being reactionary but Fox is absolutely the star on this team. He has had a whopping 4 games where he's scored under 20 points. He's having an even better season than his All NBA season last year, he is 100% making All-NBA again.

Sabonis was the clear better player last year. He was higher on the mvp lists and the team played better with him on the floor. Nothing reactionary about that. He was the hub of the offense, Fox just finished games https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/12/13/23507222/domantas-sabonis-sacramento-kings
Sabonis better for the year last year, Fox better the opening stanza this year.

Fox has been better for the first third of this year sans this stretch right here. But, being one of the fans most skeptical of him, he's been motivated by a Supermax (he publicly turned down the 2 year extension with this in mind) and I'm wondering if its the new him to play as he has been for the entire year.

Just for the guards - shai, trae, Donovan, Steph, ant, booker, Hali, Brunson, Luka might be considered one, if there are even more. We can start a convo if Fox is a top 15 player on the GB board and it would be debated quite heavily IMO. There are more candidates this year. It won't take him falling by much at all... And it won't delay his career much to fall a bit and rise back a standard next year.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#9 » by Lost in LA » Mon Jan 8, 2024 12:51 am

Really poor....starters should have been pulled and Fox should not even have dressed, four days off would have done him some good.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,178

Post#10 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 8, 2024 1:35 am

BoogieTime wrote:
codydaze wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Sabonis was the clear better player last year. He was higher on the mvp lists and the team played better with him on the floor. Nothing reactionary about that. He was the hub of the offense, Fox just finished games https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/12/13/23507222/domantas-sabonis-sacramento-kings

Fox has been better for the first third of this year sans this stretch right here. But, being one of the fans most skeptical of him, he's been motivated by a Supermax (he publicly turned down the 2 year extension with this in mind) and I'm wondering if its the new him to play as he has been for the entire year.

Just for the guards - shai, trae, Donovan, Steph, ant, booker, Hali, Brunson, Luka might be considered one, if there are even more. We can start a convo if Fox is a top 15 player on the GB board and it would be debated quite heavily IMO. There are more candidates this year. It won't take him falling by much at all... And it won't delay his career much to fall a bit and rise back a standard next year.

This All NBA this season and he is a supermax is just false. To qualify for a supermax you need to be selected:
(i) to the All-NBA first, second, or third team, (ii) Defensive Player of the Year in the preceding season or in two seasons during the preceding three seasons, or (iii) NBA MVP during the three preceding seasons.

So even if Fox makes it this season it doesn't guarantee him supermax. Can we please stop with this narrative? Keep it in your pocket until next season.
And the reason why he turned down the extension is because the Kings knew he would and offered it out of respect. They have done this before and will again in the future.

Fox is having an unbelievable season. It's clear he's hurt at the moment and shouldn't be on the court. I put that on him, the coaching staff, and the medical team.
Sabonis is also having an unbelievable season. We don't need to tear one down to highlight the other.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#11 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 8, 2024 1:38 am

Regarding the game. Burn all evidence it ever happened (again) and get ready for a brutal road trip. Don't get too high and don't get too low.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#12 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jan 8, 2024 1:49 am

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
codydaze wrote:

This All NBA this season and he is a supermax is just false. To qualify for a supermax you need to be selected:
(i) to the All-NBA first, second, or third team, (ii) Defensive Player of the Year in the preceding season or in two seasons during the preceding three seasons, or (iii) NBA MVP during the three preceding seasons.

So even if Fox makes it this season it doesn't guarantee him supermax. Can we please stop with this narrative? Keep it in your pocket until next season.
And the reason why he turned down the extension is because the Kings knew he would and offered it out of respect. They have done this before and will again in the future.

Fox is having an unbelievable season. It's clear he's hurt at the moment and shouldn't be on the court. I put that on him, the coaching staff, and the medical team.
Sabonis is also having an unbelievable season. We don't need to tear one down to highlight the other.

So is it 2 out of the preceding three seasons before the extension is offered? He would be offered it at the end of next year? So I think that would mean it wouldn't even matter if he made all nba next year if he makes it this year? Not that im actively rooting against him making shots etc, or that I care that much. just I prefer him not on the Supermax as he is questionable for it and if at the end of the day he has an off night that doesn't affect the team I aint pouting

You say the same injury stuff about a lot of players, Huerter, Fox, Murray, anyone who has played poorly?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#13 » by City of Trees » Mon Jan 8, 2024 1:59 am

Feels like this team has hit its ceiling. Sure there is personal growth left (Fox & Keegan) but as a group I feel like this is who they are. They cannot overcome their flaws against certain roster builds.

Change is needed if the goal is the Finals. For context, I didn't t even watch the game tonight so I'm not in my feelings about the beat down right now. This is my objective take.
hsfolk
Junior
And1: 305

Post#14 » by hsfolk » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:02 am

should have kept Haliburton and traded Fox
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#15 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:04 am

hsfolk wrote:should have kept Haliburton and traded Fox

wasnt an option. Fox had no trade value at that moment.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#16 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:14 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

So is it 2 out of the preceding three seasons before the extension is offered? He would be offered it at the end of next year? So I think that would mean it wouldn't even matter if he made all nba next year if he makes it this year?

You say the same injury stuff about a lot of players, Huerter, Fox, Murray, anyone who has played poorly?

I'm not certain of that and it probably depends on the wording and how it is interpreted. That could very possibly be correct. I can't find the specific details on if it's from the end of your contract or when an extension is offered. Maybe if it doesn't stipulate it could be both? I know next season means he qualifies in terms of amount of years with the team.

On the injury thing. Yeah injuries are a real thing.
So in over a season you think it's over the top to comment on an injury hampering a player on 3 occasions?
Fox clearly isn't right. I don't think anyone would dispute that. He has a right shoulder injury that we know of.
I haven't looked at his mid range shots and at the rim from last year, but I know it's significantly more at the rim this year. More toll on the body etc. IMO it's the reason he is just now starting to take mid range shots again. He is sore. If the shoulder is the only thing bothering him then he may believe he can play through it given it's his off arm.
And with Huerter fingers are kind of important to a shooter, wouldn't you agree? These guys aren't robots. To play at this level takes everything you have. Not saying it means they shouldn't be criticised and not saying players can't be in or out of form, but there are reasons for poor form.
If anything it should also make what Domas did last season even more incredible.

Return to Sacramento Kings