OT: Sacramento temporarily hosting the A's

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

OT: Sacramento temporarily hosting the A's 

Post#1 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:55 pm

Announcement was made official today that the Oakland A's will be temporarily playing in Sacramento for the next three season after this year, with an option for a fourth year before they move to Las Vegas.

After everything this Kings franchise has gone through, I feel for the fans and city of Oakland and hate to see anyone lose their team. Oakland's ownership is a joke and while it sucks that Sacramento is in a way complicit in Oakland losing the team, I feel their ownership never had any intention of playing another season there. As bad as I feel for the city, I'm excited that Sacramento is being given this opportunity for an audition for a possible expansion into the city. A dream scenario would be Sacramento gets to keep the A's and Fisher gets an expansion team in Vegas and rebrands.

Also as a Yankees fan, I will absolutely be there to watch my Yanks play.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,781

Re: OT: Sacramento temporarily hosting the A's 

Post#2 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:49 pm

I don't feel bad for Oakland losing the team, as from what I gather attendance hasn't matched the product for decades, but it does suck for the hardcore season ticket holder types.

Not really a professional baseball fan and if the team isn't repping Sacramento while here (just going by the A's I see) I probably won't go to a game, but I guess this potentially gets the foot in the door as far as potential expansion or if the minute chance the Las Vegas deal falls through them staying (especially alleviating a team from Northern California saturation for expansion).

I'm pretty much a Sacramento nativist, so its always been hard to warm up to Bay Area teams as "local" (though I do fly internationally out of beautiful San Francisco quite a bit). Bay Area teams have as much resonation for me as random Detroit teams, though I envy those who can support them as their own. Hell, my father's side of the family is from Tampa, and Ive spent summers/a lot of time there so I'd be more partial to the Bucs/Rays/Lightning than to A's/49ers/Sharks etc, but still not close to as if the teams were from Sacramento. Until Sacramento gets another team its Kings/College-High school alma maters/USMNT-USWNT (which is enough anyways). Maybe before I'm dead I'll have another pro team to root for, but not counting on it
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Re: OT: Sacramento temporarily hosting the A's 

Post#3 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 4, 2024 10:33 pm

BoogieTime wrote:I don't feel bad for Oakland losing the team, as from what I gather attendance hasn't matched the product for decades, but it does suck for the hardcore season ticket holder types.

Not really a professional baseball fan and if the team isn't repping Sacramento while here (just going by the A's I see) I probably won't go to a game, but I guess this potentially gets the foot in the door as far as potential expansion or if the minute chance the Las Vegas deal falls through them staying (especially alleviating a team from Northern California saturation for expansion).

I'm pretty much a Sacramento nativist, so its always been hard to warm up to Bay Area teams as "local" (though I do fly internationally out of beautiful San Francisco quite a bit). Bay Area teams have as much resonation for me as random Detroit teams, though I envy those who can support them as their own. Hell, my father's side of the family is from Tampa, and Ive spent summers/a lot of time there so I'd be more partial to the Bucs/Rays/Lightning than to A's/49ers/Sharks etc, but still not close to as if the teams were from Sacramento. Until Sacramento gets another team its Kings/College-High school alma maters/USMNT-USWNT (which is enough anyways). Maybe before I'm dead I'll have another pro team to root for, but not counting on it

I'm with you on not necessarily rooting for Bay Area teams. Grew up a Yankees fan and though most of my family are 49ers fans, I somehow grew up a Raiders fan.

Attendance wasn't great in Oakland but on the flip side ownership did absolutely nothing to ever put a competitive team on the field which isn't fair to the fans. For years they've basically been a farm team for the rest of the league, that's the only part that makes it sour for me. It was pretty much like the move Major League in real life with Oakland's ownership.

Return to Sacramento Kings