ImageImageImageImageImage

Building around a SUPERSTAR. Can we do it?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Building around a SUPERSTAR. Can we do it? 

Post#21 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:19 am

ansoncarter wrote:barely seen Tyreke Evans play but how many 6'5 players without ridiculous speed or shooting end up stars, let alone superstars?

I don't know if he has "ridiculous" speed, but in the workouts in Sac he clocked out faster than Jonny Flynn.

Quite a few "superstars" have made a living at being much BIGGER and STRONGER however. Tyreke Evans at about 6'6" and 230 will certainly be that every single night.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#22 » by KF10 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 am

I think one thing is for sure. Having Evans at the point and Martin at the 2 spot would create mismatches around the league consistently. This duo can be great.

I like this quote from a other website:

Do you put your Shooting guard on Martin and watch ‘Reke run over the point guard like a wrecking ball? Or do you put a bigger shooting guard on him and watch K-Mart abuse your point guard in ways that are too horrible to imagine?

:droop:
King Baller
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#23 » by King Baller » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:18 am

If a couple of them become your regular old run of the mill All Stars I would be insanely happy :lol:

And if the rest can become very good players flirting with being All Stars the Kings will be very good, thank you very much.

KB
"I don't want to hear what he can't do. Tell me what the player can do to help us." Bill Walsh
RoyalCourtJestr
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#24 » by RoyalCourtJestr » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:01 am

I don't think Tyreke is gonna be a superstar, because I agree, superstar is a top 5-6 player and it's exceptionally unlikely he could be that. But being a star is totally different - above all-star and below superstar - thats completely in the realm of realistic possibility. Tyreke has the combination of speed, athletisium (very underrated) and strength.
mprose wrote:And that leaves me with the conclusion that DMC is the Sarah Palin of the NBA.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#25 » by Smills91 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:10 pm

deNIEd wrote:
Smills91 wrote:
ansoncarter wrote:barely seen Tyreke Evans play but how many 6'5 players without ridiculous speed or shooting end up stars, let alone superstars?

Dwayne Wade comes to mind. But I don't accept your premise. Who says Evans doesn't have speed at 6'5? Who says he doesn't develop into a good shooter?

Dwyane Wade is a freak of an athlete. He is definitely in the top 1% in terms of athleticism and a large part of his game was originally built on that. Evan's has no where near the athleticism that Wade does.

I still don't buy the fact that Evans will ever come close to a "superstar" mainly cause in my mind, a superstar is a top 5-6 player. (Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Dwight, CP3, Duncan) Evans could eventually become an allstar, but that is still no where near a "superstar."

As for the rest of the team, none of them will ever come close to a superstar stature either. Look at the greatest players ever (exception Shaq), all of them have a necessity to win and compete. All of them have a killswitch in their personality and will go for the throat every time they sense weakness in an opponent. Based off of last year's play, none of our players have that mentality. Martin's game limits him from being a franchise player. Thompson simply isn't skilled enough IMO. Hawes is too soft and lazy. Donte doesn't seem to have the drive either. They can all become great players but their personality limits their ceiling.

I don't doubt that, but I don't think he has 'ridiculous speed' and I don't think he's in the top 10% of shooters in the NBA either. I do agree his athleticism is amazing.

I think of Tyreke physically, is in a similar mold to Dwayne Wade. He's not a ridiculously fast like Tony Parker, Brandon Jennings or others of that ilk, but for his size and strength he's VERY fast. I think Tyreke has similar athletic attributes as D-Wade. And in all honesty, I think he may have a similar game to Wade minus the pull up mid-range jumper(at this point at least).
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,504

Post#26 » by pillwenney » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Smills91 wrote:I don't doubt that, but I don't think he has 'ridiculous speed' and I don't think he's in the top 10% of shooters in the NBA either. I do agree his athleticism is amazing.

I think of Tyreke physically, is in a similar mold to Dwayne Wade. He's not a ridiculously fast like Tony Parker, Brandon Jennings or others of that ilk, but for his size and strength he's VERY fast. I think Tyreke has similar athletic attributes as D-Wade. And in all honesty, I think he may have a similar game to Wade minus the pull up mid-range jumper(at this point at least).

Oh yes he most certainly does. That's the most impressive part of his athleticism. They don't call him "Flash" for nothing.
mobiuseinz
Analyst
And1: 8

Post#27 » by mobiuseinz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Tyreke might be slow, but he is great at changing speeds which lets him get by him man with ease... kinda like Deron Williams... not the fastest guy, but great at changing speeds and throwing the defender off balance.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#28 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:48 pm

Smills91 wrote:I don't doubt that, but I don't think he has 'ridiculous speed'

:o
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 628

Post#29 » by sackings916 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:51 pm

I think the Dwade comparisons is setting the bar a little too high. I think Evans will be in the mold of John Salmons but a more built/physical version. So maybe a mix between Salmons and Baron Davis.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:35 pm

sackings916 wrote:I think the Dwade comparisons is setting the bar a little too high. I think Evans will be in the mold of John Salmons but a more built/physical version. So maybe a mix between Salmons and Baron Davis.

Wade too high

Salmons too low
Smills91
Banned User

Post#31 » by Smills91 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:15 pm

mitchweber wrote:
Smills91 wrote:I don't doubt that, but I don't think he has 'ridiculous speed' and I don't think he's in the top 10% of shooters in the NBA either. I do agree his athleticism is amazing.

Oh yes he most certainly does. That's the most impressive part of his athleticism. They don't call him "Flash" for nothing.

When I think of RIDICULOUS speed I think Tony Parker, Brandon Jennings, Speedy Claxton(pre-injury) etc. Dwayne Wade is fast, especially for his size, but I don't think he's so much faster than Tyreke that they don't compare.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by pillwenney » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:54 pm

Smills91 wrote:
When I think of RIDICULOUS speed I think Tony Parker, Brandon Jennings, Speedy Claxton(pre-injury) etc. Dwayne Wade is fast, especially for his size, but I don't think he's so much faster than Tyreke that they don't compare.

Those guys are all PG. The bar for "ridiculous speed" is different at given positions. I'd say that when you consider his size, Wade is proportionally just as fast as those guys. Tyreke is considerably slower than Wade and is playing at a quicker position. The good news is that he'll still have a strong physical advantage that he can use.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#33 » by Smills91 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:12 am

mitchweber wrote:
Smills91 wrote:

Those guys are all PG. The bar for "ridiculous speed" is different at given positions. I'd say that when you consider his size, Wade is proportionally just as fast as those guys. Tyreke is considerably slower than Wade and is playing at a quicker position. The good news is that he'll still have a strong physical advantage that he can use.

I don't agree with this premise. He may be slower, but not 'CONSIDERABLY. And that's where I left it at with my point earlier.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by pillwenney » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:25 am

Yeah, he is considerably slower. He's fast for his size. Wade is ridiculous for his size.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#35 » by Cruel_Ruin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:46 am

Dwyane Wade has the best first step in the league, including PGs. His length, explosiveness, and ball control are all of the charts. Tyreke is not even close to Dwyane Wade speed.

A good physical comparison for Tyreke is a throwback player, the best to ever play for this franchise: Oscar Robertson. Big, strong 6'5 PGs who use their size in the post against smaller PGs and craftiness off the pick and roll. Oscar was a good athlete, but not superb, and had solid, but not amazing, speed. I think Tyreke is similar.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#36 » by Wolfay » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:04 pm

Whoa, first we compared Evans to one of the best players in the game today, and now we're comparing him to one of the best players EVER in the history of basketball?

Be careful with what you say, it's bordering on blasphemy.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#37 » by Cruel_Ruin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:16 pm

Wolfay wrote:Whoa, first we compared Evans to one of the best players in the game today, and now we're comparing him to one of the best players EVER in the history of basketball?

If we're just entertaining physical comparisons, Oscar is the closest in terms of size, speed, and strength. Obviously, Oscar's skills were light years ahead.
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#38 » by deNIEd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:18 pm

Wolfay wrote:Whoa, first we compared Evans to one of the best players in the game today, and now we're comparing him to one of the best players EVER in the history of basketball?

This is why I feel everyone is gonna hate Evans (and Thompson) simply because expectations are way beyond reality.

Evans compared to Oscar? Come on now.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#39 » by Wolfay » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:33 pm

Cruel_Ruin wrote:

If we're just entertaining physical comparisons, Oscar is the closest in terms of size, speed, and strength. Obviously, Oscar's skills were light years ahead.

It was still an insinuation that Evans has Oscar-like potential, otherwise there wouldn't have been any point to such a physical comparison.

deNIEd wrote:This is why I feel everyone is gonna hate Evans (and Thompson) simply because expectations are way beyond reality.

I would replace the word "hate" with "disappointed", but I think this is one of the few instances were we're going to agree. I don't think anyone doubts that Evans will be a great player who'll be able to contribute, but some of the stuff being said is going a bit far.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 pm

deNIEd wrote:

This is why I feel everyone is gonna hate Evans (and Thompson) simply because expectations are way beyond reality.

If Millsap and Aldridge had a baby it would be Thompson.

If Baron Davis and an Aztec woman had a baby it would be Evans.

That's the most balanced comparison in my opinion.

Return to Sacramento Kings