Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,391

Isaiah Miranda 

Post#1 » by Hal14 » Sat Feb 4, 2023 7:47 pm

Is he this year's Shaedon Sharpe?

By that I mean, a guy who enrolls at a high major school during 2nd semester but doesn't play for his college team..then gets drafted..

He enrolled at NC State at beginning of 2nd semester. Is listed on the roster..just like Sharpe was listed on Kentucky's roster last year.

But it seems like he might not play this season..

Read on Twitter

Article on him which says he's a late bloomer who grew 5 inches since high school:
https://www.on3.com/news/4-star-isaiah-miranda-talks-nba-possibilities-and-future-visits-louisville-texas-rhode-island-oregon/

On NC State roster, he's listed at 7'1", 205 lbs. Here's some video footage:

https://youtube.com/shorts/miIx8Co8j9Q?feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/A2hBe4XtUY0

Just turned 19 and is eligible for 2023 draft. Might sit out the season then go to NBA. Might sit out the season, then play next year at NC State, or might play in some games at NC State this season and then go to NBA...or return for next year at NC State...who knows? lol

All I know is, guys who are 7'1" and can move like that, shoot it like that, can put the ball on the floor and just turned 19..that sounds like someone who might be a top 20 pick..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Re: Isaiah Miranda 

Post#2 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:47 pm

Miranda is on the list of early entries for the draft.

Could be this year's Shaedon Sharpe (gets to campus halfway through the school year so decides to sit out the rest of the season and ends up getting drafted, despite not playing any college ball).

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#3 » by Hal14 » Wed May 3, 2023 3:55 pm

It's crazy to me that this guy isn't getting more buzz. No one is even putting him in any mock drafts.

Top 25 prospect in the class, IMO.

Look, I get it. There's some risk because all we have is footage of him playing in HS, AAU and some showcases. But let's be real here - that's all we had on Shaedon Sharpe and he was the 7th pick in the draft. That's all we had on LeBron, Kobe, T-Mac, Garnett, etc.

Sure, those guys were all consensus #1 or 2 player in HS basketball, whereas Miranda was ranked 30 overall prospect in country by Rivals, No. 40 by On3, No. 47 by 247Sports and No. 55 by ESPN.

But IMO, he's underrated in those rankings because he's a late bloomer. He only burst onto the seen less than 18 months ago - during that time he's grown 5 inches.

Talent is talent. You can't teach talent and you can't teach 7'1". I would absolutely take him in the 1st round.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#4 » by Hal14 » Wed May 3, 2023 8:44 pm

Good lord:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,546

Post#5 » by jezzerinho » Thu May 4, 2023 2:19 pm

Hal14 wrote:It's crazy to me that this guy isn't getting more buzz. No one is even putting him in any mock drafts.

Look, I get it. There's some risk because all we have is footage of him playing in HS, AAU and some showcases. But let's be real here - that's all we had on Shaedon Sharpe and he was the 7th pick in the draft. That's all we had on LeBron, Kobe, T-Mac, Garnett, etc.

Sure, those guys were all consensus #1 or 2 player in HS basketball, whereas Miranda was ranked 30 overall prospect in country by Rivals, No. 40 by On3, No. 47 by 247Sports and No. 55 by ESPN.

But IMO, he's underrated in those rankings because he's a late bloomer. He only burst onto the seen less than 18 months ago - during that time he's grown 5 inches.

Talent is talent. You can't teach talent and you can't teach 7'1". I would absolutely take him in the 1st round.

Dunno about you guys but to me its getting much harder to evaluate who's gonna be good in the NBA!

Small school guys
Sophomore leap guys
OTE guys
Euro domestic league guys
G League guys
NBL guys
Transfer guys
No college ball played at all guys

Lot of routes, lot of variance in quality of opposition, lot of specific context to consider, lot of factors that could be mitigating or could be flags, lot of external influence, money now vs getting the best coaching....
Hal14
RealGM

Post#6 » by Hal14 » Thu May 4, 2023 2:41 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
Hal14 wrote:It's crazy to me that this guy isn't getting more buzz. No one is even putting him in any mock drafts.

Dunno about you guys but to me its getting much harder to evaluate who's gonna be good in the NBA!

Small school guys
Sophomore leap guys
OTE guys
Euro domestic league guys
G League guys
NBL guys
Transfer guys
No college ball played at all guys

Lot of routes, lot of variance in quality of opposition, lot of specific context to consider, lot of factors that could be mitigating or could be flags, lot of external influence, money now vs getting the best coaching....

Agreed. That variance does make it harder. But that just means that NBA scouts and front office execs have to step up their game and be more skilled, do their homework more.

It's easy if every prospect plays NCAA ball for 4 years. Much harder now, but it just means the teams with better scouting will win.

With that being said, it also means that which players work out and which players don't is a little more dependent on luck, and the draft does become a little more of a crap shoot.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,546

Post#7 » by jezzerinho » Thu May 4, 2023 8:01 pm

Totally.

Front offices are a much bigger difference-maker in pro sports success than is widely believed. Coaches too.

And yet teams will happily tear down their roster to trade for a specific player but would never consider doing it for a coach for example.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#8 » by Hal14 » Sun May 7, 2023 2:23 am

Are we gonna see a 7'1" dude in the dunk contest?

Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM

Post#9 » by Hal14 » Fri May 12, 2023 2:35 pm

Last week, the Call/Times reported that five NBA franchises – including the Boston Celtics – expressed interest in bringing Miranda in for a workout. With the system that’s currently in place, Miranda is enjoying the best of both worlds with NBA teams offering feedback while ensuring his college eligibility remains firmly intact.

For someone in Miranda’s sneakers, any player who wants to maintain his NCAA eligibility must remove his name from the NBA draft pool by 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on May 31. This year’s draft is June 22.

“Right now, we’re leaning towards going back to school. Isaiah is getting good feedback from NBA types, but it’s more late first-round or early second-round,” said Light. “With one productive year in college, we feel he can be a lottery pick.”

https://www.pawtuckettimes.com/sports/miranda-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal-as-pawtucket-native-eyes-next-basketball-stop/article_3a386e76-eec0-11ed-a97b-6b21b27b82dd.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Read on Twitter

This guy is a top 25 prospect in this draft.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#10 » by Hal14 » Mon May 15, 2023 9:33 pm

In the 13 games in Cerebro Sports database plus 3 other games I watched on Youtube (so 16 total games), Isaiah Miranda shot 58.8% from 3 on 2.3 attempts per game.

Small sample size, but these are insane shooting numbers for a 7-footer who was only 18 yrs old when he played in these games.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#11 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 3, 2023 11:09 pm

This guy could be a serious riser in the 2024 draft class.

No other big man has his combination of size (7'1" with a 7'4" wingspan) + athleticism + shooting. And he'll only be 20 on draft night.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#12 » by Hal14 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:43 am

My man

Read on Twitter
JazzP
Freshman
And1: 66

Post#13 » by JazzP » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:57 pm

Shoot, I don't have him on any of my lists for 2024, I legitimately just forgot about him.
Not sure how I didn't notice him on any early OK St depth charts or barttorvik or anything as of yet.

Thanks for the reminder lol
Hal14
RealGM

Post#14 » by Hal14 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:48 pm

JazzP wrote:Shoot, I don't have him on any of my lists for 2024, I legitimately just forgot about him.
Not sure how I didn't notice him on any early OK St depth charts or barttorvik or anything as of yet.

Well he wouldn't be in barttorvik since he didn't play in any games last season.
JazzP
Freshman

Post#15 » by JazzP » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:55 pm

Hal14 wrote:
JazzP wrote:Shoot, I don't have him on any of my lists for 2024, I legitimately just forgot about him.

Well he wouldn't be in barttorvik since he didn't play in any games last season.

The site also runs a projection for the 2023-24 season, though I've noticed it tends to generally skew very cautiously in giving playing time to players without prior data, to be fair.

Doesn't have Miranda in the OK St rotation at the moment;
https://barttorvik.com/rosters24.php?team=Oklahoma+St.&year=2023

I'm not sure how the formula works, some highly rated freshmen do get some pretty nice playing time and usage rates in the projections; but for whatever ties to high school stats and national rankings that it might have for a recruit, I think foreign prospects and redshirt players throw it off pretty rough still.

I noticed that it doesn't have Paulius Murauskas in Arizona's rotation and it has Matt and Ryan Bewley as fringe players with negative impact in Chicago St.'s rotation. I understand that there can be no one perfect formula, these kinds of situations are understandable (and heck, maybe it's correct in some of these cases anyways); but I do happen to think that the barttorvik projections are a pretty neat tool.
JazzP
Freshman

Post#16 » by JazzP » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:57 pm

I think the Isaiah Miranda projection is the most likely to be off though, for sure. I think that one might need some active interference of some sort.

Return to NBA Draft