The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,139

Re: Donovan Clingan 

Post#81 » by The Moose » Tue May 14, 2024 7:57 am

The Moose wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
The Moose wrote:
This is a great article on Clingan, albeit quite long.

https://www.nhregister.com/connecticutmagazine/news-people/article/donovan-clingan-uconn-men-s-basketball-18424508.php

But within it, it says Clingan has grown and measured at 7'3 barefoot this summer.

Read on Twitter

We also have this from 3 years ago, when he was 16 yrs old and measuring at 7'2

7' sounds about right. Definitely not 7'2" or more though. I've seen him next to several bigs like sub 6'9" Timme, and supposed 7' guys like Ware and Dickinson to know he's very comparable, maybe a little bit taller. My guess is if they play Purdue in the final you'll see that Edey is easily a few inches taller. It won't be a mystery much longer. Combine is coming up!

Yeah, honestly I don't believe the 7'3 barefoot rumor at all. That would put him at Edey's height, and he isn't that size.

To me he's basically the same height as Kalkbrenner, when they matched up recently they looked pretty close to identical height. Kalkbrenner was at the combine last year and measured 7'0.75 barefoot. If I had to put money down, I would bet Clingan measures between 7'0.5-7'1 barefoot

Read on Twitter

Good measurement day for Clingan, even taller than I suspected initially and 9'7 standing reach is Gobert level
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,116

Post#82 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue May 14, 2024 9:32 am

The Moose wrote:
The Moose wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
7' sounds about right. Definitely not 7'2" or more though. I've seen him next to several bigs like sub 6'9" Timme, and supposed 7' guys like Ware and Dickinson to know he's very comparable, maybe a little bit taller. My guess is if they play Purdue in the final you'll see that Edey is easily a few inches taller. It won't be a mystery much longer. Combine is coming up!

Yeah, honestly I don't believe the 7'3 barefoot rumor at all. That would put him at Edey's height, and he isn't that size.

To me he's basically the same height as Kalkbrenner, when they matched up recently they looked pretty close to identical height. Kalkbrenner was at the combine last year and measured 7'0.75 barefoot. If I had to put money down, I would bet Clingan measures between 7'0.5-7'1 barefoot

Read on Twitter

Good measurement day for Clingan, even taller than I suspected initially and 9'7 standing reach is Gobert level

looks like I was wrong but I still find it hard to believe. Maybe because he plays kinda hunched over it fools my lying eyes. Kareem was 7' 2" ffs. He just doesn't look like he's Kareem tall. I'm a cynic so part of me wonders if they're embellishing for the freak factor. But it could just be that when he actually forces himself to stand straight he's really that tall. It isn't functional height but technically he hits the mark. I've never been off by 2" so I'll remain skeptical but I'll take the reluctant L :lol:
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,270

Post#83 » by FrodoBaggins » Tue May 14, 2024 9:42 am

Clingan's measurements were good as was his shooting. Some of his speed, power, & agility test times were disappointing, though. I think Edey beat him in all of them - 3/4 court sprint, lane agility, vertical jump, etc. I'm not sure about the shuttle run, though. The lane agility was the biggest disappointment. Zach beat him by like an entire second which is a lot for a drill guys finish in 3-4 seconds typically.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,116

Post#84 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue May 14, 2024 9:50 am

FrodoBaggins wrote:Clingan's measurements were good as was his shooting. Some of his speed, power, & agility test times were disappointing, though. I think Edey beat him in all of them - 3/4 court sprint, lane agility, vertical jump, etc. I'm not sure about the shuttle run, though. The lane agility was the biggest disappointment. Zach beat him by like an entire second which is a lot for a drill guys finish in 3-4 seconds typically.

I just don't know what to do with either Clingan or Edey. There's really not a lot of great centers after the top 10 and both are going to either start or play a decent amount of minutes. They're better center prospects than guys like Okongwu, WCj, Hayes, Duren and Williams and they went in/around the lottery. And they're better than the dozens of absolute stiffs at center that went in the late first these past several years. So why am I struggling to place them higher? I have internal biases I have to sort out
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#85 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 3:54 am

Clingan a monster defensive player. I think DPOY level impact. Worst case Brook Lopez on defense which i think is a great floor.

Ceiling is what we’re don’t know. Offensive game rudimentary, but he can pass, rim run, potentially has a nice looking shot.

Did i tell you he was big?

Edey, I liked 2 and should go lottery. He isn’t a defensive prospect like Clingan, but he is an elite scorer efficiency wise. I have hard time believing a team can’t use him in the mid lottery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to NBA Draft