Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,482

Re: 2024 NBA Combine thread 

Post#221 » by Big J » Tue May 14, 2024 8:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:
TB wrote:I can't find box scores for the scrimmage, but found multiple live updates of Bronny in the first scrimmage lol

NBA coverage is pure trash, always has been, the league deserves to be 2nd place to the NFL, and they are lucky soccer is not popular here either

I mean, you can't really blame the NBA for the Bronny coverage. Who out there is waiting with bated breath to see how Reed Sheppard & Donovan Clingan did on the 3 cone drill.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#222 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 14, 2024 9:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
considering his production this past season, are the questions about his motor even entirely fair?

Indiana fans who watched him all season wondered how he wasn't first team all-Big Ten, so I will cede to them on that. I know he was a disappointment at Oregon. The kid's tape I saw in high school made him look like Lively in terms speed and size. However, Lively's motor has him looking (to me) like a future DPOY candidate. Ware's defensive numbers were worse than senior year Trayce Jackson-Davis (who is three years older than him).

If I was New Orleans and he was avail with my pick, I would take him. Heck if I was OKC, I would also take him. But his motor would still concern me.

i feel like we hear random motor issues every year about prospects, and typically about bigs, but even with those 'motor issues' he was still highly productive and his winning metrics are off the charts. id be way more concerned if those motor concerns came with a lack of productivity but they didnt.

really the biggest question mark for me actually is how hard of a dip his FT% took this year with extended volume, he got the line a lot but 63% from the stripe especially for a guy that you want shooting for you in some capacity is a red flag

What's that old adage? You can't teach size. This is the same league that let Gobert fall to 27, Jokic fall to 41, DeAndre Jordan fall to the 2nd round and Naz Reid go undrafted.

If you like an athletic big a lot, you might as well take 'em. Future all-stars or all-defense can come from anywhere.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#223 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 14, 2024 9:48 pm

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
TB wrote:I can't find box scores for the scrimmage, but found multiple live updates of Bronny in the first scrimmage lol

NBA coverage is pure trash, always has been, the league deserves to be 2nd place to the NFL, and they are lucky soccer is not popular here either

I mean, you can't really blame the NBA for the Bronny coverage. Who out there is waiting with bated breath to see how Reed Sheppard & Donovan Clingan did on the 3 cone drill.

But you said it yourself. You only care about Bronny because of Lebron. Lebron is 39 going on 40, he's irrelevant to the future of the league now. I don't care if he plays another 4 years. His run is finito.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#224 » by Ell Curry » Tue May 14, 2024 10:13 pm

Collier is gonna fall I think. Measured like a regular PG size-wise, 67% from the line, not a lot of starting PGs who fit that bill anymore.
Where's the D?
Big J
General Manager

Post#225 » by Big J » Tue May 14, 2024 10:14 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

But you said it yourself. You only care about Bronny because of Lebron. Lebron is 39 going on 40, he's irrelevant to the future of the league now. I don't care if he plays another 4 years. His run is finito.

Lebron is irrelevant to the future of the league? He's still going to own Klutch even post retirement, and he will likely own the new Vegas franchise. His fingerprints are going to be all over the future of the league for decades post retirement. I promise you he's going to still be more relevant and discussed than Alexander Sarr or Matas Buzelis 10 years from now.
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#226 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 14, 2024 10:34 pm

Big J wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
Big J wrote:

Lebron is irrelevant to the future of the league? He's still going to own Klutch even post retirement, and he will likely own the new Vegas franchise. His fingerprints are going to be all over the future of the league for decades post retirement. I promise you he's going to still be more relevant and discussed than Alexander Sarr or Matas Buzelis 10 years from now.

He'll be as relevant as MJ, Magic or Shaq. It won't be his league anymore. He'll become a part of its history like all the rest.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#227 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

He doesn’t care abour Bron or Bronny, he thinks this is the easiest way to derail a thread right now lol.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Big J
General Manager

Post#228 » by Big J » Wed May 15, 2024 12:06 am

[x]
Read on Twitter
[/x]

Not bad for a guy who can't dribble.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,969

Post#229 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 15, 2024 12:38 am

Big J wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
[/x]

Not bad for a guy who can't dribble.

Baby Eric Bledsoe!
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,129

Post#230 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed May 15, 2024 1:15 am

ESPN coverage of the combine scrimmages was a tough watch. They barely acknowledges the players or the actual game being played. They spent more time pontificating about NBA teams than prospects. And my God they're desperate to push the "weak draft" narrative. They really want you to know it's a crapshoot so when they're wrong (like they always seem to be) they have political cover. There not being a consensus and them being forced to actual evaluate prospects has them in a tailspin. They know jobs will be on the line. At least they had some decision makers on which was fun to hear. Cory Alexander has to be the most useless and annoying talking head on the network. When he calls Ignite games I have to put it on mute. Sadly he's the main voice at the combine. The bald lady is really bad at her job too.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#231 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 3:50 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:ESPN coverage of the combine scrimmages was a tough watch. They barely acknowledges the players or the actual game being played. They spent more time pontificating about NBA teams than prospects. And my God they're desperate to push the "weak draft" narrative. They really want you to know it's a crapshoot so when they're wrong (like they always seem to be) they have political cover. There not being a consensus and them being forced to actual evaluate prospects has them in a tailspin. They know jobs will be on the line. At least they had some decision makers on which was fun to hear. Cory Alexander has to be the most useless and annoying talking head on the network. When he calls Ignite games I have to put it on mute. Sadly he's the main voice at the combine. The bald lady is really bad at her job too.

ESPN tv and nba coverage is abysmal.

I like windy and Woj…but the nba countdown show is awful, they have like three writers in LA covering lebron and the lakers and like don’t know anything else.

I can’t deal with any of their NBA studio shows. Too bad Rachel Nichols got booted, she was OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#232 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed May 15, 2024 4:13 am

"official" measurements

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2024-25

lots of surprises with some guys really answering some size and length questions and helping their draft stock big time.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,334

Post#233 » by Catchall » Wed May 15, 2024 5:18 am

Stephon Castle looks like this year's version of Justise Winslow.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#234 » by Chuck Everett » Wed May 15, 2024 5:28 am

Catchall wrote:Stephon Castle looks like this year's version of Justise Winslow.

Winslow ended up being injury prone. Who knows what he could have been if he didn't get hurt all the time?
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,334

Post#235 » by Catchall » Wed May 15, 2024 5:31 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
Catchall wrote:Stephon Castle looks like this year's version of Justise Winslow.

Winslow ended up being injury prone. Who knows what he could have been if he didn't get hurt all the time?

Well, that's true. Shooting also held Winslow back.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#236 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed May 15, 2024 7:37 am

First Day Scrimmage Roundup

Ajay Mitchell really impressed me in the scrimmages. He confirmed to me that he's potentially a lead guard but at worst is good enough to be a rotational player. He moves, plays and looks like Derrick White.

Flowers is a twitchy, natural basketball player with on-ball skills and potential on defense. Sucks he didn't go to college but there's enough there to probably safely put him in the first round given his age and physical profile.

Mogbo clearly has NBA size and a skillset and seeing it against NBA peers has opened eyes. This is the first time I've seen him live so admittedly he was off my radar. He's older and went to a small school but there's no denying he's got an NBA body and skillset. If he continues to impress he'll potentially get drafted. There's some Draymond potential there. Very similar way of moving around and contributing without necessarily putting up stats.

Ingram looks, plays, and has the same skillset as OG Anunoby. He looks like the perfect 3 and D wing. I don't think I can keep him out of the first round as he's plug and play whether as a starter or off the bench.

Another guy not on my radar was Enrique Freedom. He moves so well with NBA size and length (6' 9" in shoes with 7'.2" WS) Even hit some (3 of 5) threes. He opened my eyes and I expect he'll be moving up boards.

Scheierman has helped himself. Very smart all around offensive player that looks like he can keep up on defense.
another late 1st/early 2nd guy
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#237 » by Chuck Everett » Wed May 15, 2024 12:07 pm

Enrique is a Paul Millsap/Ken Fareid level rebounder, he just has a nose for the basketball. However, he is going to have to prove he can stretch and be a stopper to ultimately get playing time. But the rebounding prowess is real.
Felixians4
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#238 » by Felixians4 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:02 pm

https://nbadraftroom.com/2024-mock-draft-update/.

Recommend this website for following NBA draft every year.

Glad to see nice combine showing for Missi(top3 at my biste), Sheppard, Scheirmann and Edey ofc
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#239 » by EvanZ » Wed May 15, 2024 9:44 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:First Day Scrimmage Roundup

Ajay Mitchell really impressed me in the scrimmages. He confirmed to me that he's potentially a lead guard but at worst is good enough to be a rotational player. He moves, plays and looks like Derrick White.

Flowers is a twitchy, natural basketball player with on-ball skills and potential on defense. Sucks he didn't go to college but there's enough there to probably safely put him in the first round given his age and physical profile.

Mogbo clearly has NBA size and a skillset and seeing it against NBA peers has opened eyes. This is the first time I've seen him live so admittedly he was off my radar. He's older and went to a small school but there's no denying he's got an NBA body and skillset. If he continues to impress he'll potentially get drafted. There's some Draymond potential there. Very similar way of moving around and contributing without necessarily putting up stats.

Ingram looks, plays, and has the same skillset as OG Anunoby. He looks like the perfect 3 and D wing. I don't think I can keep him out of the first round as he's plug and play whether as a starter or off the bench.

Another guy not on my radar was Enrique Freedom. He moves so well with NBA size and length (6' 9" in shoes with 7'.2" WS) Even hit some (3 of 5) threes. He opened my eyes and I expect he'll be moving up boards.

Scheierman has helped himself. Very smart all around offensive player that looks like he can keep up on defense.
another late 1st/early 2nd guy

I think Mogbo was hurt by the measurements. He has small hands and he's Draymond Green sized.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,551

Post#240 » by BigGargamel » Wed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm

I know I'm beating a dead horse with ESPN, but this was their only NBA Draft Combine article of the day :lol:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40153130/lebron-james-shows-watch-son-bronny-nba-draft-combine

Edit: Non ESPN+ article. You have to pay to read about actual important stuff. Even that article has an entire section discussing Bronny :lol:

Return to NBA Draft