Draft Grade

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Jumpstop
Sophomore
And1: 1

Draft Grade 

Post#1 » by Jumpstop » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Give your team a draft grade and include one change you would have made.

Blazers : A

It's hard to critisize getting Batum, but I would like to have seen how Arthur would have done as a Blazer.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Draft Grade 

Post#2 » by Malinhion » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Miami Heat: A

Didn't do the stupid thing and trade Beasley. Riley was on there 5 minuts after the pick saying they ahd the right system to develop him. Then, without a 2nd rounder we dump some future 2nds and cash to pick up Mario Chalmers, who should not have slid that far under any circumstance.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#3 » by ponder276 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Toronto Raptors: C

Since we were dealing #17 as part of the O'Neal trade, and had already dealt #45, it would have been nice to see us be a little more active trying to buy or trade for picks. #34 was sold, where we could have picked up CDR, DeAndre Jordan, Mario Chalmers, Kyle Weaver, or Bill Walker - all players that would be great fits. #27 was sold as well, where we could have had Donte Greene, Darrell Arthur, Joey Dorsey, or any of the players I listed at #34. I do like Jawai at #41, but Jawai and Printezis (#58 in 2007) being our ONLY DRAFT PICKS IN THE LAST 2 YEARS is just not enough, we should have been buying or trading for picks.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,906

Post#4 » by gswhoops » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:34 pm

Warriors: B+

Picking Randolph was great value at #14 and he may well turn into a great SF, but he does nothing to help us next year. The potential of a Randolph/Wright/Biedrins frontcourt with Ellis running the point is huge, though. Hendrix was a GREAT pick for us at #49, he should be an awesome rebounder/energy guy off the bench next year. I would have liked the Warriors to be more active trying to pick up Douglas-Roberts in the 2nd round because we could use another SG off the bench if Pietrus and Azubuike leave but overall, solid.
S0yb3anB0y
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by S0yb3anB0y » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:16 pm

Seattle: B
Westbrook was arguably the next best PG behind Rose.
Serge good potential, didn't really cost us much.
DJ White a decent rotational player, I felt they should have kept both 2nd rounders and draft Mario Chalmers with one of them.
DeVon Hardin was a good pick up at 50.

Overall, I like the draft but I still think we could have done better. Mayo is going to be the best in this year's draft class.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#6 » by jenn_gp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:15 pm

^I give the Sonics a B- for taking Ibaka at 24...he more than likely would have been there at 32. That's the last time I will say that.

I love the drafting of Westbrook...we really needed to add a player who brings a defensive mind-set to the game. People are calling him the "Next GP" we'll have to wait and see. Right now I'd be happy if he resembled Antonio Daniels..I'm still missing what he brings to the floor and the last time we were in the playoffs, he was leading our team.
zyht
Junior

Post#7 » by zyht » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:34 pm

Bulls A - made the right choice with rose even though beasley was really intringuing. Like the Asik pick a lot too as he will for sure fill a spot if needed in a couple year.

Portland A+ winner of the draft once again. They filled the last 2 empty spots in the rooster with two tremendous pick. Bayless at the 11th spot was not even hoped and he will be great at Portland. Batum is a great pick too; don't overlook is talent by just looking at his euroleague stats. He was voted the second best player in the French league last year and the upside is huge...
sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Post#8 » by sabi » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:07 pm

jenn_gp wrote:^I give the Sonics a B- for taking Ibaka at 24...he more than likely would have been there at 32. That's the last time I will say that.

I love the drafting of Westbrook...we really needed to add a player who brings a defensive mind-set to the game. People are calling him the "Next GP" we'll have to wait and see. Right now I'd be happy if he resembled Antonio Daniels..I'm still missing what he brings to the floor and the last time we were in the playoffs, he was leading our team.
I don't like the GP comparison. For one, Westbrook is more athletic but isn't near the PG skills that GP had. Because of that I don't really see the comparison on the offensive end. Defensively, it's another story. There both big PGs (if Westbrook can successfully become one) that take defensive assignments very seriously, so in that aspect I can see some GP in him. I prefer to compare him to a Rondo but with ton more upside because Westbrook has much better basketball skills and has the potential to be a player in the League. But I expect him to have Rondo type impact in his first year with a better jump shot.
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

If we go 0-3 during that Imma chillllllllllllll
CelticsFan11
Freshman

Post#9 » by CelticsFan11 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:00 pm

Celtics = A

We had the last pick in the first round and picked up an athletic defender/jumper in J.R Giddens. Then we got Bill Walker.....for CASH!
sterncohen
Bench Warmer
And1: 38

Post#10 » by sterncohen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:09 pm

jenn_gp wrote:^I give the Sonics a B- for taking Ibaka at 24...he more than likely would have been there at 32. That's the last time I will say that.

Taking Ibaka at 24 seems like a very surprising blunder from Presti. He's going to Europe, and if he plays well he's going to make a hell of a lot more than the scale contract for a #24 pick, making the chance of his coming to Seattle small. Taking him in the second round would have let Seattle offer him more money when he's ready to come over. His agent sent word that he wanted to go in the second round - why did Seattle jump the gun?
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#11 » by deeney0 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:45 pm

Timberwolves: D

Traded a chance at slowly building a great team for a quick fix that will leave this team in purgatory, neither in the playoffs nor at the top of the lottery again for the foreseeable future.
BBen
Starter
And1: 0

Post#12 » by BBen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Stephon Marburry = best case for OJ Mayo. I don't see him ever leading a "great team". I knew the Minnesota fans were jumping the gun by putting their hopes on Mayo. Think about it, he's from sunny, exciting Cali (and has a huge ego from getting hyped starting at age 13), he would have never playing in Minny. You did well to get an unselfish, extremely talented, very young big with a UCLA pedigree while also unloading bad contracts and picking up a fantastic player (or trade asset) in Miller. I think Memphis got ****ed, you should be happy. If you want to feel better watch Mayo in the tournament. You can see him get schooled by Bill Walker (a guy who got bought for cash in the second) in a game that Beasley hardly played in because of foul trouble.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#13 » by Liqourish » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:59 pm

Detroit Pistons: INC

Dumars had a draft that can't be graded until we see how it pans out. He made some bold moves with the right intentions. Took a couple guys that could turn out really well, or they don't pan out. He's not really out anything in the worst case scenario so he gets an incomplete.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#14 » by djthesonicsfan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:45 am

Sonics B+

I think Westbrook is going to be a fantastic PG. He's got way too much work ethic & athleticism not to succeed. And he's not getting near enough credit for his offensive skills. He filled in great for Collison at PG. And didn't anyone else watch the UCLA-Memphis game?

Don't understand how anyone could criticize the Ibaka pick. I don't care what his agent wrote. But San Antonio or the Celtics wouldn't have either. What percentage of #24 picks make any impact at all in the NBA? Ya, not many. Low risk. The Sonics scouted this guy. Over there. I doubt any of us have seen him in person. Here's a few clips. Remember, this kid is only 18. And he's 6'10". He's a beast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo9cP0c_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZDgyAL7 ... re=related
Credit to wiff for the links.

DJ White was a great pick. He's going to play in the NBA a long time. Tough. Exactly the right kind of friend Durant needs.

The way I see it the Sonics added another two guys to their rotation and have a real chance to bring over a top of the draft talent in a couple of years when Ibaka turns 20.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#15 » by princeofpalace » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Detroit Pistons: B-/C+

Dumars seems to be better at drafting late(Tay, Maxiel, Delfino, Afflalo, Memo, Amir Johnson) than early (Darko, White, Stuckey- seems to be the exception), Joe Dumars made a very bold move in drafting Walter Sharpe- a player unkown to NBA fans but apparently was impressing scouts. DX wrote before the draft that Sharpe was quickly movng up the board and might not be available in the mid 2nds due to some very impressive workouts, his athletic ability and skills playing both inside and out. Joe D was initially going to grab him at 29 but was able to trade down to 32 and gain an additional 2nd rounder in which he drafted C-Trent Plaisted.

Dumars passed on players such as Deandre Jordan, Bill Walker and Chris Douglass Roberts. However those moves dont look so bad considering that CDR had no interest in playing for Detroit despite it being his hometown team + Deandre Jordan does not fit the culture of Detroit having absolutely zero work ethic and a bad attitude and Bill Walker would not agree to play in Europe.

At the end of the night, Dumars was able to draft a player he was incredibly high on (Sharpe) who fills one of Detroits biggest holes at SF and a legitimate sized C that can play in the post and rebound- two of Detroits biggest weaknesses. Dumars made some risky moves but given his past draft history, this was no doubt a solid draft for Detroit.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,097

Post#16 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:28 am

princeofpalace wrote: Bill Walker would not agree to play in Europe.

Where do you get that from?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
dj1403
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#17 » by dj1403 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:40 am

I'll give my Cavs a B. They got a big which they needed with an NBA body in JJ Hickson. He's a banger down low which is what we need. We also got Darnell Jackson, who IMO, is a steal. He has a good work ethic and a lot of heart and I think he can be an energy guy for us.

The reason I gave it a B is because I think we should have traded for another 2nd and got either CDR or Bill Walker. We still have a hole at the SG position and that was not addressed. However, I can't complain about our draft.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#18 » by Liqourish » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:48 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
princeofpalace wrote:Bill Walker would not agree to play in Europe.

Where do you get that from?

Joe Dumars.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/06/sleeping_condition_tainted_sha.html

The Pistons had a chance to draft Kansas State's Bill Walker, a player they reportedly guaranteed they would draft with their first-round pick. Dumars said players that late in the draft under consideration were asked if they would play overseas if the Pistons drafted them. Walker, who was taken with the No. 47 pick by Washington -- one after Detroit's selection of Trent Plaisted at No. 46 -- said he would not.

"We make a list of all the guys that say yes, that we like," Dumars said. "Those kids (Plaisted at No. 46, and Deron Washington at No. 59) were two kids that said yes."

As for Walker, Dumars said, "he was a guy that we liked an awful lot. Once he gets healthy, he's going to be a really good player."

Walker has had multiple knee injuries, and suffered another injury shortly after working out for the Pistons earlier this month.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,097

Post#19 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:21 am

Thanks!
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#20 » by ClipperDomination » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:22 am

Los Angeles Clippers: D+

Gordon is overrated. His ball handling sucks for a guard, and he is a very streaky shooter. Not to mention, he is undersized as a two-guard. Then in the second round to take a huge gamble project center in Jordan rather than a low risk/high reward backcourt player (CDR, Bill Walker) was a mistake.

If only people not named Baylor, Sterling, Oshley, or Dumbleavy could run the draft for the Clipps...

Return to NBA Draft