2024 NBA Draft Thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#101 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:20 am

jman3134 wrote:I still like the class, but was less impressed with the Nike Hoops Summit. Holland really showed out, and you have to love his motor. Collier, Wagner, and McCain did not play well at all. Still just one game. I really like what Risacher brought to the contest. Nike really missed some World players, so I doubt there are any real surprises with the 18 year olds sneaking in as early entrants (unless you count perhaps London Johnson - if he is even able to break his 2 yr G League Ignite contract).

It's hard to juggle playing time and guys to get in a rhythm. I really appreciated how everyone was serious and how competitive it was. Wagner in particular had a few shots go in and out. Games like that happen. Some of these games can turn into layup lines and dunk contests but this class really gets after it. Collier actually played decent in limited time. Buchanan really surprised me. I didn't know who he was but man, he hits the boards hard, has nice touch around the basket and hustles. Really good size and motor. Nice stroke at the FT line. And he had no problem defending from what I saw.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,092

Post#102 » by sisibilio » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:52 pm

If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,309

Post#103 » by jman3134 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:45 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
jman3134 wrote:I still like the class, but was less impressed with the Nike Hoops Summit. Holland really showed out, and you have to love his motor. Collier, Wagner, and McCain did not play well at all. Still just one game. I really like what Risacher brought to the contest. Nike really missed some World players, so I doubt there are any real surprises with the 18 year olds sneaking in as early entrants (unless you count perhaps London Johnson - if he is even able to break his 2 yr G League Ignite contract).

It's hard to juggle playing time and guys to get in a rhythm. I really appreciated how everyone was serious and how competitive it was. Wagner in particular had a few shots go in and out. Games like that happen. Some of these games can turn into layup lines and dunk contests but this class really gets after it. Collier actually played decent in limited time. Buchanan really surprised me. I didn't know who he was but man, he hits the boards hard, has nice touch around the basket and hustles. Really good size and motor. Nice stroke at the FT line. And he had no problem defending from what I saw.

To your point, the rotations were pretty bad. Collier and Wagner played together for big stretches, sometimes with McCain. Other times, it was just McCain running the show and the O tended to suffer a bit.

Mgbako looked great on the perimeter, when he was used as a wing. At Roselle, they often played him as a center, and he tended to disappear. That could have just been a chemistry thing, as well as him being nicked up for most of the year. If he perfects his shot, he does actually stand a good chance. I had him pegged as overrated, when he was probably playing out of position at Roselle.

It also wasn't a fair assessment because he just transferred there.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,400

Post#104 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:58 pm

This guy is gonna be good. Was a freakish rim protector this season in OTE.

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,302

Post#105 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:54 pm

Duke's roster next year?

Tyrese Proctor / Jared McCain
Caleb Foster / Jaylen Blakes
Mark Mitchell / Sean Stewart / Jaden Schutt
Mackenzi Mgbako / TJ Power
Kyle Filipowski

+ whoever they get in transfer portal and if Roach comes back
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,134

Post#106 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:07 pm

clyde21 wrote:Duke's roster next year?

Kyle Filipowski

+ whoever they get in transfer portaland if Roach comes back

I know Duke is waiting to try and get a big name at the 5. If they get that and Roach returns I wouldn’t be shocked to see no freshmen starting next year.

I have no clue how that will happen and Jon won’t piss off any of the freshmen or hurt his rep out on the recruiting trail. But I know that’s the plan at the moment it seems like.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#107 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:09 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Kyle Filipowski

I know Duke is waiting to try and get a big name at the 5. If they get that and Roach returns I wouldn’t be shocked to see no freshmen starting next year.

I have no clue how that will happen and Jon won’t piss off any of the freshmen or hurt his rep out on the recruiting trail. But I know that’s the plan at the moment it seems like.

assuming it's Dickinson at the 5 if that goes thru and Flip at the 4, Mitchell at 3, and yea all FS would be coming off the bench if that happens + Roach returns.

good for Duke I guess but I dunno what any of these guys are doing at this point lol...also really feels like Mitchell/Stewart/Mgbako are all pretty much the same player.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#108 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:14 pm

but yea obviously that's a stacked team

curious what happens with Kentucky...they lose Wallace, Tshiebwe, Toppin and Onyenso (to transfer), we'll see what happens with Reeves and Livingston...right now probably confirmed:

Wagner / Dillingham
Reeves (or another senior transfer) / Sheppard
Edwards / Livingston (or a wing transfer)
Ware / Collins
Bradshaw
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#109 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:20 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Kyle Filipowski

assuming it's Dickinson at the 5 if that goes thru and Flip at the 4, Mitchell at 3, and yea all FS would be coming off the bench if that happens + Roach returns.

good for Duke I guess but I dunno what any of these guys are doing at this point lol...also really feels like Mitchell/Stewart/Mgbako are all pretty much the same player.

I know Shedrick (defensive 5 from UVA) was just at Duke visiting this weekend. But ya I don’t know how it’s all going to work, the minutes just don’t work out. Too many guys 6’8 and up for them all to get minutes.

If they do get a legit starting 5, my wonder is if Jon is going to try and go with a platoon system.

Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Flip
Transfer 5

Bench:
McCain
Foster
Power
Mgbako
Stewart

If Duke does get that transfer 5, I think Jon’s biggest hurdle this year is finding a way to keep everyone happy and not hurting future recruiting. It will be very curious to see if he can pull it off. They should be able to just out talent the vast vast majority of college ball next year.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#110 » by EvanZ » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:44 pm

They should play Flip at the 5. LOL college.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#111 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:15 pm

looks like Harrison Ingram is down to Kansas or Kentucky - would be a great get for either team
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#112 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:looks like Harrison Ingram is down to Kansas or Kentucky - would be a great get for either team

Something new drop? Last I saw many thought UNC were the main leaders.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#113 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:34 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:looks like Harrison Ingram is down to Kansas or Kentucky - would be a great get for either team

Something new drop? Last I saw many thought UNC were the main leaders.

just rumors I guess but he did meet with both Self and Calipari today
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,496

Post#114 » by Big J » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:52 am

Hal14 wrote:This guy is gonna be good. Was a freakish rim protector this season in OTE.

Read on Twitter

OTE is massively underrated. Tons of insane athletes in that league. You know the guys who bash it are the ones who don't watch.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#115 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:31 pm

Just as we were talking yesterday on if Jon Scheyer could keep everyone happy with what he was trying to do.

Mgbako is decommitting from Duke.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#116 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:39 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Just as we were talking yesterday on if Jon Scheyer could keep everyone happy with what he was trying to do.

makes sense - just no room for him on the team, and again, very redundant having all of Mitchell, Mgbako and Stewart imo.

id go to Uconn or Auburn if I was him
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#117 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:44 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Just as we were talking yesterday on if Jon Scheyer could keep everyone happy with what he was trying to do.

makes sense - just no room for him on the team, and again, very redundant having all of Mitchell, Mgbako and Stewart imo.

Yup. Especially if they get a 5 in the portal. That’s more minutes of Flip at the 4. And just not enough minutes to go around between all of those guys.

To me this move makes sense for both sides. Mgbako gets to go to a team where he can be featured more and try and get drafted as high as he can. Then on Duke’s side, it really opens up a much clearer picture for the roles for everyone.

Even with how the roster is now, it’s going to be very hard to keep everyone happy, it was going to be impossible if Mgbako was there.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#118 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:56 pm

so last night I lit up a shisha head and watched more HS film of this class to see if I missed something here and it's actually better than it looks and it honestly looked worse than I even thought, watched primarily the wings/forwards, Edwards, Williams, Holland, Mgbako, Stewart, even went down to a guy like Trentyn Flowers (who I actually like up to a level) - don't think I saw a single top 15 pick there at this point, i.e. for example if any of these guys were available in this class right now.

again it's still super early and these dudes all could go thru some real development by this time next year, but it's not looking great.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,309

Post#119 » by jman3134 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:22 pm

Can't speak on the others, but I could have told you for sure that Mgbako's high school film was going to be underwhelming....

He tended to disappear and didn't really blend at Roselle. They used him as a big almost exclusively, when he needed to find a rhythm from beyond the arc. He only had a year to come together with that team though, as he was a transfer. And, he was coming off of injury from what I remember when I saw him. I also wasn't very impressed, but he is probably better irl than on his high school tape.

On another note: what did you think of Akil Watson on Roselle? I really like his game.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#120 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:29 pm

jman3134 wrote:Can't speak on the others, but I could have told you for sure that Mgbako's high school film was going to be underwhelming....

He tended to disappear and didn't really blend at Roselle. They used him as a big almost exclusively, when he needed to find a rhythm from beyond the arc. He only had a year to come together with that team though, as he was a transfer. And, he was coming off of injury from what I remember when I saw him. I also wasn't very impressed, but he is probably better irl than on his high school tape.

Ya as a Duke fan I’m not really too let down over this news. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to hype myself up over Mgbako, the combination of the stiff hips and shaky shot has always made me a little sour on him.

I’m not going to lie, I’m actually a little more excited with this news because I think it opens up a clearer lane for TJ Power to get consistent run next year and I’m more excited about him. 6’8 with elite shooting and elite off ball movement. Not saying he will be the better pro over Mgbako, but as a Duke fan I’m more excited to see him.

Return to NBA Draft