azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,463

Re: Johnny Furphy - Kansas 

Post#121 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:01 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:The famous "two-game shooting slump"

I would say it has been more like his last 5 games have all been pretty bad to meh and Kansas is 1-4 during that stretch.

I love when people have no idea what they're talking about and despite being completely wrong, feel confident enough to be sarcastic about they're completely wrong assertions. It's actually much worse than even a 5 game slump. In the past two months (11 games), in conference play, he's shooting 26% from three. And with McCullars being out so much you'd expect Furphy to step up and make up for the loss but the exact opposite has happened.

I mean - it’s clear just watching him that he’s not physically developed and no where near nba form. Maybe in a year he will be but who knows. He’s so physically weak it’s hard to take the kid seriously
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#122 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:35 pm

It's almost as if people like me who wanted to see more were right. lol
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,003

Post#123 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:36 pm

Kids get taken all the time w/o NBA ready bodies. Furphy would be a kid you draft for a few years down the road, not a immediate rotation piece.

He is still a 6'8 true SF with a nice jumper and + motor. Everything about him is late blooming - he began to flash late in HS, he was given a scholarship to KU near the deadline, he didnt crack the rotation until halfway through the year and he isnt developed physically. This was never a kid you draft to play big minutes right off the jump.

He is still a clear R1 talent.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,087

Post#124 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:01 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Kids get taken all the time w/o NBA ready bodies. Furphy would be a kid you draft for a few years down the road, not a immediate rotation piece.

He is still a 6'8 true SF with a nice jumper and + motor. Everything about him is late blooming - he began to flash late in HS, he was given a scholarship to KU near the deadline, he didnt crack the rotation until halfway through the year and he isnt developed physically. This was never a kid you draft to play big minutes right off the jump.

agree about his talent but I don't think he'd go in round 1 and feel like he'd be better served staying, Kansas becomes his team next season and he can hit the weights and work on his game and come out and definitely be a 1st rounder next year. Sure, he can work on his game in the G-league but I feel like those guys almost never get called up and develop into NBA starters. Once teams don't see them as NBA players it kinda sticks. Maybe I'm wrong.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,595

Post#125 » by MemphisX » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:46 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Kids get taken all the time w/o NBA ready bodies. Furphy would be a kid you draft for a few years down the road, not a immediate rotation piece.

agree about his talent but I don't think he'd go in round 1 and feel like he'd be better served staying, Kansas becomes his team next season and he can hit the weights and work on his game and come out and definitely be a 1st rounder next year. Sure, he can work on his game in the G-league but I feel like those guys almost never get called up and develop into NBA starters. Once teams don't see them as NBA players it kinda sticks. Maybe I'm wrong.

The problem with this type of thinking is that he is not a "his team" kind of guy, especially at the next level. So there will be zero benefit to him being "the man" on a unknown Kansas team next season.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#126 » by azcatz11 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:14 pm

They said the same thing about Josh primo. He’s a fluid long athlete who looks better than he is. I’ve seen this too many times and not falling for the hype especially since he’s an overrated shooter
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,812

Post#127 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:36 pm

I see a poor man's Chandler Parsons.

I think he should return to school, maybe tighten up his handle and work on his mid range game a bit more. Maybe he can go top 10 next year.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,003

Post#128 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:15 pm

azcatz11 wrote:

They said the same thing about Josh primo. He’s a fluid long athlete who looks better than he is. I’ve seen this too many times and not falling for the hype especially since he’s an overrated shooter

Primo is a weird comp as the guys career was sidetracked by some serious mental health issues. I know he is back in the league but developmentally ‘show it gate’ certainly sidetracked his development.

It’s a bit different too with Furphy’s size, movement and motor being much more unique than a 6’4 or so Primo.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#129 » by azcatz11 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:43 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:I see a poor man's Chandler Parsons.

I think he should return to school, maybe tighten up his handle and work on his mid range game a bit more. Maybe he can go top 10 next year.

Good comp right there.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#130 » by azcatz11 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:44 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Primo is a weird comp as the guys career was sidetracked by some serious mental health issues. I know he is back in the league but developmentally ‘show it gate’ certainly sidetracked his development.

It’s a bit different too with Furphy’s size, movement and motor being much more unique than a 6’4 or so Primo.

He needs to get a lot stronger...I think his hype was unjustified based off a couple of highlight reels earlier in the season. When you watch Kansas games - he's an after thought and doesn't do much.

I'm honestly not trying to hate on the kid I just don't see FRP
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,087

Post#131 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:59 pm

MemphisX wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

The problem with this type of thinking is that he is not a "his team" kind of guy, especially at the next level. So there will be zero benefit to him being "the man" on a unknown Kansas team next season.

disagree. They're so buried and such afterthoughts that people pigeon-hole them into not being capable of more. Just because they'll be role players at the next level doesn't mean they shouldn't be good enough to show their the man in college. The majority of role players in the NBA were "the man" on their college teams. There are countless examples of guys like Furphy that are buried, return or transfer, and they become the man.

Recent examples being:

Hunter Sallis was a 5 star recruit that was buried at Gonzaga for two years. He goes to Wake Forrest where he's the man

Kel'el Ware is a 5 star recruit, gets buried at Oregon. Transfers to Indiana to become the man

Devin Carter transferred to Providence from South Caroline where he was buried to become the man

Adem Bona went from being buried to being the man at UCLA

Filipowski returned, put on muscle, had surgery on hips to increase his flexibility

I think there'll be more guys like this than people realize. Because of NIL it wouldn't surprise me if half the guys people have as first rounders return. If that happens then it'll become the weak draft class everyone has thought it was a year ago
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 96

Post#132 » by OriAr » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:13 pm

Sounds to me like the type of kid who'd benefit from staying in college.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,595

Post#133 » by MemphisX » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:06 pm

Why are we on here acting like "going back to school" is some magic development bullet?
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,387

Post#134 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:02 pm

MemphisX wrote:Why are we on here acting like "going back to school" is some magic development bullet?

For his player type, going back to school helps. He just needs to get stronger for even the college game much less the NBA
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 96

Post#135 » by OriAr » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:29 pm

MemphisX wrote:Why are we on here acting like "going back to school" is some magic development bullet?

It's not, but coming out too early could be a career killer if you aren't a top prospect, especially with the 2nd apron leading to teams giving up on drafted players earlier than before.
If you are not a top prospect and you are uncertain about whether to come out or not, better to stay one more year and develop some more, especially with NIL money and being able to go through the entire pre draft process without losing eligibility.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#136 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

Self is also a great coach who typically is great at developing talent from within his program. Maybe coming back a year doesn't sky rocket his draft stock, but I think he will be more ready to play from day 1 which if he is sitting in the 15-25 range now makes him a lot more appealing to a wider range of teams.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#137 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:10 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

disagree. They're so buried and such afterthoughts that people pigeon-hole them into not being capable of more. Just because they'll be role players at the next level doesn't mean they shouldn't be good enough to show their the man in college. The majority of role players in the NBA were "the man" on their college teams. There are countless examples of guys like Furphy that are buried, return or transfer, and they become the man.

Recent examples being:

Hunter Sallis was a 5 star recruit that was buried at Gonzaga for two years. He goes to Wake Forrest where he's the man

Kel'el Ware is a 5 star recruit, gets buried at Oregon. Transfers to Indiana to become the man

Devin Carter transferred to Providence from South Caroline where he was buried to become the man

Adem Bona went from being buried to being the man at UCLA

Filipowski returned, put on muscle, had surgery on hips to increase his flexibility

I think there'll be more guys like this than people realize. Because of NIL it wouldn't surprise me if half the guys people have as first rounders return. If that happens then it'll become the weak draft class everyone has thought it was a year ago

There are also countless examples of guys who come back and either get injured or lose their "legit" prospect status. At the end of the day if Furphy is a first round pick he should definitely come out and secure that now.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft