doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,227

Re: Sekou Doumbouya ('19) 

Post#141 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 2:13 pm

Dat2U wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Coeur wrote:Expect or Hope?

If it got to Minnesota pick and you have choice of Doumboya, Clarke, or Rui who do you take?

I think it’s goga that goes 4 or 5 though I would love to see the Cavs pick Doumboya. Or the hawks/wizards. I also still have hope the Knicks pick reddish or Doumboya

Doumbouya. Rui and Clarke are likely to fall IMO. I understand what they’re able to do, but Clarke can’t do what he did in college in the NBA. Elite athlete, great character and probably one of the best rounders at the college level. But he needs to get stronger for the NBA and those blocks just won’t be there in the NBA. He’s a helped a lot by the college space, less skilled players and players that aren’t as big or long. He’s going to be a long time roleplayer, but I personally cannot envision him as someone worthy of a lottery pick.

In a draft that's low on elite talent but heavy on role players, why wouldn't a high quality role player be considered a lottery pick?

Because I disagree with that. There is a lot of elite projects, who can one day become really good. When you draft in the lottery you want the best player available and if it’s a really good project there are gambles to take in the lottery rather than picking a Roleplayer. Plus translation varies because athletes and guys who like to operate with more space tend to have more success in the NBA despite average college numbers. Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are two guys who people were hesitant on and ended up doing well with more space. Same with Lauri Markkanen, Zach LaVine, Myles Turner, Donovan Mitchell, etc. Guys like these benefit from the space despite being labeled as safe, average or raw prospects.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 659

Post#142 » by remi_222 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 2:33 pm

Read on Twitter

:onfire: :onfire: :onfire:
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#143 » by wesleyt95 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 10:03 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
peZt wrote:
clyde21 wrote:do people really think Siakam was finishing like this when he was 18? come on.

It's so annoying in general. You compare a prospect to a player who was drafted in the late teens and the wannabe draft experts are like "You are an idiot, there's no way he's ever gonna become that good", forgetting that there's a reason they were drafted that low. Did anybody think Siakam, PG, Butler, Kawhi etc. would ever become as good they did? No.
Obviously they're an exception but to act like they were always destined to be so good and any comparison to them is blasphemous, is **** obnoxious.

NBA Draft Twitter is a cesspool in general but that's another Topic.

Soo.. I never said Sekou couldn't be a good player, literally I stated I was high on his prospects. What I said is that he and Siakam are different types of players. Doumbouya is naturally a perimeter-oriented player who's slashing/finishing has a long way to go. Siakam is a natural downhill slasher who's shooting has a long way to go. It's a lazy comparison

Doumbouya is only 18, but please remember people, it's not like he's this completely raw ball of clay. Like, they didn't just find him in a remote village somewhere playing soccer in a dirt field. This is someone who has been receiving a salary to play pro ball and has had high-level professional training for many years now. He already has certain tendencies in his game that you can pick out.

One of the glaring negatives you observe on film is that Sekou's finishing ability is below average for an 18yo prospect. He has unusually poor touch and awkward body control around the basket, tbh some of his missed layup attempts are middle-school level and made me cringe bc I was NOT expecting that. Finishing in the paint is the primary feature of Pascal Siakam's game, that's why I said it's unlikely that he'll trend towards that. It's not common for a player to transform their #1 weakness into their main strength. It's like projecting Deandre Ayton to be a future DPOY. Will he improve on D over time, yes you expect gradual improvement but most likely never to that level.

If you're high on Sekou's offensive upside it's not because of his finishing. What you're banking on is the potential of his natural jumpshooting ability , and if he can leverage his ability to get his shot off as a diverse offensive weapon. A few years ago he could only consistently spot up, but as of late he's showing that he may be able to shoot off the move, shoot off the dribble, runs off screens, even shooting turnaround fadeaways from the midrange, he's flashing all kinds of stuff (albeit in miniscule volume) that you'd never see from say Deandre Hunter. How many 6'9 guys in this class can fluidly replicate this move.. Reddish , Cam Johnson maaaybe? This is where you see the glimmers of upside with Sekou:

Read on Twitter

The optimistic scenario for Sekou is that with reps and a slight adjustment to his mechanics his %s will start going up. And once defenses start worrying about his shooting, now he can start attacking closeouts n put the ball on the floor as a secondary playmaker, and you hope his handles and finishing tighten up.

There’s no question his finishing will improve, were any other prospects in the top 10 competing against 30 year old men? No, it’s not a fair comparison
MadMaximum
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#144 » by MadMaximum » Sun Jun 9, 2019 10:05 pm

Didn't he get kicked out of a French training academy. Some off-court issues to consider there
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#145 » by Stillwater » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:36 am

MadMaximum wrote:Didn't he get kicked out of a French training academy. Some off-court issues to consider there

got a link?
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#146 » by remi_222 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:03 am

Stillwater wrote:
MadMaximum wrote:Didn't he get kicked out of a French training academy. Some off-court issues to consider there

got a link?

Yes indeed he was kicked out from INSEP (Federal Centern of French Basketball), but he was a 14yrs old kid playing with grown men in the N1 (3rd division).
Then he went to Poitiers, a club known to give chances to prospects (Evan Fournier is the best exemple). From there he has an absolute perfect work ethic and we can see the results in any part of his game
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#147 » by 916fan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Sekou might go top 5 when it's all said and done. After watching more of him, he could very much be more than worth it in that range. He's extremely young yet already really skilled on the perimeter at 6'9.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,308

Post#148 » by NotACat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:26 pm

916fan wrote:Sekou might go top 5 when it's all said and done. After watching more of him, he could very much be more than worth it in that range. He's extremely young yet already really skilled on the perimeter at 6'9.

Could be a great fit with Phoenix at 6 and they could go with Rubio as a stop gap at the PG spot. Starting 5 of Rubio-Booker-Oubre-Doumbouya-Ayton for the season.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,288

Post#149 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:16 pm

NotACat wrote:
916fan wrote:Sekou might go top 5 when it's all said and done. After watching more of him, he could very much be more than worth it in that range. He's extremely young yet already really skilled on the perimeter at 6'9.

Could be a great fit with Phoenix at 6 and they could go with Rubio as a stop gap at the PG spot. Starting 5 of Rubio-Booker-Oubre-Doumbouya-Ayton for the season.

How many forwards would that leave on Phoenix?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
NotACat
Veteran

Post#150 » by NotACat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:
NotACat wrote:

Just Josh Jackson
916fan
Pro Prospect

Post#151 » by 916fan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:55 pm

NotACat wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:
NotACat wrote:Could be a great fit with Phoenix at 6 and they could go with Rubio as a stop gap at the PG spot. Starting 5 of Rubio-Booker-Oubre-Doumbouya-Ayton for the season.

Just Josh Jackson

It would be more actually.. Miles Bridges, TJ Warren, and Josh Jackson. However, TJ can play PF.
NotACat
Veteran

Post#152 » by NotACat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:11 pm

916fan wrote:
NotACat wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:How many forwards would that leave on Phoenix?

Just Josh Jackson

It would be more actually.. Miles Bridges, TJ Warren, and Josh Jackson. However, TJ can play PF.

You mean Mikal. And aren't Mikal and TJ more in the SG/SF mold?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#153 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 pm

NotACat wrote:
916fan wrote:
NotACat wrote:Just Josh Jackson

Mikal yea but TJ is for sure a forward
916fan
Pro Prospect

Post#154 » by 916fan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:53 am

NotACat wrote:
916fan wrote:
NotACat wrote:Just Josh Jackson

Yeah I meant Mikal. Mikal is a SG/SF while TJ is a SF/PF.

Mikal being more of a SG doesn't matter because that's already Booker's position.
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#155 » by remi_222 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:06 pm

11min highlights of Sekou's workout !!!!!! kleenex time !!!!!!
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#156 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:23 pm

damn, his handles look good, that's a big ? for him.
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#157 » by remi_222 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 pm

clyde21 wrote:damn, his handles look good, that's a big ? for him.

;frags=pl%2Cwn

The kid is pretty confident too ! I think it come to where it was a yr ago when he was projected top 5, but nobody watched him this yr so he went down, and now people are able to see him so he goes higher again!
Hes going to do 5 or 6 workouts !
Hawks are still my fav destination for him !!!
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#158 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:51 pm

remi_222 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

got a link?

Yes indeed he was kicked out from INSEP (Federal Centern of French Basketball), but he was a 14yrs old kid playing with grown men in the N1 (3rd division).
Then he went to Poitiers, a club known to give chances to prospects (Evan Fournier is the best exemple). From there he has an absolute perfect work ethic and we can see the results in any part of his game

From what I’ve heard it was some sort of academic issue that he got kicked out for. I don’t think it was anything particularly sinister

And of course if we judged everyone based on stuff we did when we were 14 years old not many would come out looking great
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,186

Post#159 » by Dat2U » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Can one of our overseas scouts provide feedback for why Doumbouya is considered a better prospect than Bitadze? Bitadze seems more productive and ready to contribute sooner than later... he's no slouch in terms of skill and athleticism too.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#160 » by No-Man » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Dat2U wrote:Can one of our overseas scouts provide feedback for why Doumbouya is considered a better prospect than Bitadze? Bitadze seems more productive and ready to contribute sooner than later... he's no slouch in terms of skill and athleticism too.

One is a Center and the other is an athletic Forward

Return to NBA Draft