23' draft steals/ hidden gems with high end potential being overlooked??

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Re: 23' draft steals/ hidden gems with high end potential being overlooked?? 

Post#141 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:47 pm

HiDef wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Also, how would you tier these players defensively: Andre Jackson, Jaylen Clark, Jordan Walsh, Leaky black?

Andre Jackson > Jaylen Clark > Leaky Black > Jordan Walsh

Walsh is kind of a gadget player, weird athletic stance and can struggle with quickness. Black is solid but doesn't recover very well from what I've seen, kind of a useful bench player type. Clark and Andre Jackson are both very very good all around defenders who will 100% stick if they can produce enough on offense (imo)

I think Walsh is far ahead of all the other 3. He's literally ahead of them because he's much much younger.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
HiDef
Junior
And1: 292

Post#142 » by HiDef » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:54 pm

EvanZ wrote:
HiDef wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Also, how would you tier these players defensively: Andre Jackson, Jaylen Clark, Jordan Walsh, Leaky black?

Andre Jackson > Jaylen Clark > Leaky Black > Jordan Walsh

Walsh is kind of a gadget player, weird athletic stance and can struggle with quickness. Black is solid but doesn't recover very well from what I've seen, kind of a useful bench player type. Clark and Andre Jackson are both very very good all around defenders who will 100% stick if they can produce enough on offense (imo)

I think Walsh is far ahead of all the other 3. He's literally ahead of them because he's much much younger.

Can't disagree Walsh is young and probably has the best potential to be a super elite defender. just not sure his athleticism will hold up in the NBA
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,170

Post#143 » by greg4012 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:23 pm

Is Brandin Podziemski the victim of teams being too high on the likes of Luke Kennard and Donte Divincenzo in the past?

IMO he's sort of a blend of both of them. Similar defensive limitations as Kennard/Herro but elite shooting potential like Kennard/Herro and a floor game on both sides of the ball that is at least like Divincenzo.

Honestly seems like if you threw parts of Kennard, Herro, Divincenzo, and Brunson in a blender it would come out looking like Pod.

What am I missing?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#144 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:36 pm

Is he a "victim"? He looks to be a first round pick and I doubt he gets past 19. Anyway, the comps are all on the nail. I'd throw in Ty Jerome as well. He's like somewhere in between DDV and Ty Jerome.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,542

Post#145 » by jezzerinho » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:48 pm

What range is Colby Jones likely to be taken and which team is going to be enamoured with his game?

Would the Nets at 22 be a player for him?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#146 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:37 pm

Don't think he is a hidden gem, but I am shocked how underhyped Malcolm Cazalon is. I would be shocked if he isn't drafted tonight. The Overtime Elite 2nd round guys can also play.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,152

Post#147 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:19 am

whitehead and smith due to injuries falling hard rn.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#148 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:24 am

EvanZ wrote:Is he a "victim"? He looks to be a first round pick and I doubt he gets past 19. Anyway, the comps are all on the nail. I'd throw in Ty Jerome as well. He's like somewhere in between DDV and Ty Jerome.

And…he did not get past 19

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,559

Post#149 » by Saints14 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:32 am

Saints14 wrote:On the other side of the spectrum I'm still super high on Jalen Pickett as an athletically limited basketball genius that analytics models love, and who could make an impact despite his unconventional game. He's projected as late 2nd round to undrafted but for my money he's got the best passing vision and IQ in the draft. Of course he could just not be able to hang athletically, and his overall shooting touch is not where you'd like it to be, but with his overall feel for the game I would not rule out him being a starting PG someday

What an incredible fit in Denver. He’s going to be a stud for them
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 551

Post#150 » by Goldbum » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:18 pm

Rayan Rupert. I'm sold on the kid and don't understand why Bilal goes mid lottery and he's a second rounder.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,150

Post#151 » by The-Power » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:20 am

Goldbum wrote:Rayan Rupert. I'm sold on the kid and don't understand why Bilal goes mid lottery and he's a second rounder.

Are you by any chance sold because he landed on your team and you went into ‘scouting’ with the mindset that you wanted to like him? I've watched Rupert in actual games in different settings and came away thoroughly unimpressed. He's not in the same tier as Bilal as a prospect.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 858

Post#152 » by tester551 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:23 pm

The-Power wrote:
Goldbum wrote:Rayan Rupert. I'm sold on the kid and don't understand why Bilal goes mid lottery and he's a second rounder.

Are you by any chance sold because he landed on your team and you went into ‘scouting’ with the mindset that you wanted to like him? I've watched Rupert in actual games in different settings and came away thoroughly unimpressed. He's not in the same tier as Bilal as a prospect.

As a Portland fan, I agree.
Bilal is an awesome prospect, and fully warrants a lotto selection.

Rupert might be able to develop an NBA career, but his ceiling is going to be a Harkless type player.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,249

Post#153 » by Nuntius » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:23 am

EvanZ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Is he a "victim"? He looks to be a first round pick and I doubt he gets past 19. Anyway, the comps are all on the nail. I'd throw in Ty Jerome as well. He's like somewhere in between DDV and Ty Jerome.

And…he did not get past 19

That was a good call. Podziemski does seem like a great fit in GSW.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,249

Post#154 » by Nuntius » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:43 am

I like Rupert a lot. I believe that he has first round talent and I would consider him a good pick from around 25 and onwards. At 43, he can definitely be a steal.

But Bilal is in a different tier as a prospect. Bilal performed better in a more competitive league and he is a much better athlete.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,387

Post#155 » by King Ken » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:26 pm

Mouhamed Gueye. He's raw in many areas but he can become special if developed. Even if he just polishes up his game, he could be a 8th to 10th man in several years.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,387

Post#156 » by King Ken » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:30 pm

I watched both. Rupert felt like TLC (timothe luwawu-cabarrot) and Bilal felt like Scottie Pippen. Just a massively different level of tier in terms of talent and ability.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,335

Post#157 » by SNPA » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:38 pm

Slawson.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,003

Post#158 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 2:59 pm

What do you draft experts think of this guy? Mouhammed Gueye, Hawks.
https://youtu.be/MfolTK9FmdY?si=_V973s0xrrJArIVS
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#159 » by EvanZ » Wed Sep 6, 2023 9:59 pm

jayu70 wrote:What do you draft experts think of this guy? Mouhammed Gueye, Hawks.
https://youtu.be/MfolTK9FmdY?si=_V973s0xrrJArIVS

I was high on him. Had him rated top 3-4 of R2. Flirted having him much higher at one point.

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,538

Post#160 » by GoBobs » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:36 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
WinterSoldier wrote:I watched the very little clips there are on Zvonimir Ivisic. He's huge 7'3" but shockingly skilled and moves really well. He could be a major steal I can't see why people aren't higher on him.

Because you just made him up.

Why are you such a jackass all the time :lol:

RE: Ivisic, his hypothetical skillset is interesting, but the highlights don't match the stats right now. In 33 games this season he shot 27% from three, and I think that is the main appeal in terms of his versatility. He looks reasonably mobile, but he isn't playing in a particularly noteworthy league. He withdrew from the draft, if he plays in a better league and his shooting numbers go up maybe there is something to look at.

he is real lol

Return to NBA Draft