Summer League Discussion

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,460

Re: Summer League Discussion 

Post#141 » by ThatBoyNick » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:49 am

big-shot-ROB wrote:Jaylen Brown development curve makes no absolute sense and is not close to the median outcome. Whitmore isn't half an inch taller than Brown either, he looks 6'5 by all accounts.
I love Jaylen Brown but sometimes I don't even understand how a player as dumb basketball wise as him is putting 26 PPG. Whitmore is even dumber and I'd put my mouth in him never reaching brown skill level

Yeah I can't say much about development curves and how "dumb and dumber" they are basketball-wise, but I can repeat that Whitmore was officially measured at 6'5.75 barefoot 235lbs at the NBA combine at 18 years old, and that Jaylen Brown was measured officially at 6'5.25 barefoot 223lbs the combine at 19 years old.

Whitmore is coming into the league younger, taller, and (most significantly) heavier than Brown, those are all 3rd party verified facts, on NBA.com under the combine results section. Cam also officially measured 40+inch max vert, Brown never did that test officially.

It's just odd the see a person with a Jaylen Brown avatar claiming Whitmore "looks really small tbh and I don't think physically he's going to outmatch everyone with the big boyz", but uh, yeah.

Cam might not do anything in the league, because obviously, success in a sport is a lot more than just physical tools... but Whitmore's tools are definitely verifiable there, and the first people that should be evident to visually are Jaylen Brown fans :lol:
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#142 » by EvanZ » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:26 pm

Whitmore is definitely 6'7" in shoes, no debating that. If he "looks short", it's most likely having that girth combined with a shorter wingspan (6'8.5") compared to Jaylen Brown's 7' wingspan.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,972

Post#143 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:37 pm

EvanZ wrote:Whitmore is definitely 6'7" in shoes, no debating that. If he "looks short", it's most likely having that girth combined with a shorter wingspan (6'8.5") compared to Jaylen Brown's 7' wingspan.

He doesn't look 6'7 that's for sure
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#144 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:26 am

MotownMadness wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Whitmore is definitely 6'7" in shoes, no debating that. If he "looks short", it's most likely having that girth combined with a shorter wingspan (6'8.5") compared to Jaylen Brown's 7' wingspan.

because he's definitely not
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#145 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:13 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

because he's definitely not

I always find it hilarious when people debate measuring tape. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,299

Post#146 » by clyde21 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:45 pm

oh ffs are we really back to this? sometimes people look taller or shorter on camera than they really are because of their build and body type but we have official measurements for the guy.

Coulibaly is a legit 6-8 in shoes and Cam is like 1 inch shorter

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,418

Post#147 » by Colbinii » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:18 pm

clyde21 wrote:oh ffs are we really back to this? sometimes people look taller or shorter on camera than they really are because of their build and body type but we have official measurements for the guy.

That isn't an inch. Those wall tiles are about 6 inches and Coulibably is half a tile taller. I guess he is a strong 2 or 3 inches taller than Whitemore.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#148 » by clyde21 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:38 pm

that doesnt look anymore than an inch to me
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,134

Post#149 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:02 pm

I mean you really can’t get anything more official than barefoot measurements at the NBA combine. If you don’t believe those numbers, might as well not believe any measurement at all for anything. And if there is no baseline that people can’t all agree on to start the conversation on, pretty pointless to have the conversation.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,386

Post#150 » by CptCrunch » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:09 pm

Colbinii wrote:
clyde21 wrote:oh ffs are we really back to this? sometimes people look taller or shorter on camera than they really are because of their build and body type but we have official measurements for the guy.

That isn't an inch. Those wall tiles are about 6 inches and Coulibably is half a tile taller. I guess he is a strong 2 or 3 inches taller than Whitemore.

Someone with 0 understanding of geometry, something something triangle, standing nearer to the camera, something something? What happens if Cam Whitmore was 1 feet in front of the camera? Any thoughts on this matter?
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#151 » by Colbinii » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:21 am

CptCrunch wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Someone with 0 understanding of geometry, something something triangle, standing nearer to the camera, something something? What happens if Cam Whitmore was 1 feet in front of the camera? Any thoughts on this matter?

Huh? Cam Whitmore isn't 1 foot in front of the camera though.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#152 » by Colbinii » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:22 am

clyde21 wrote:that doesnt look anymore than an inch to me

It is half a block. You think those blocks are 2 inches?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
clyde21
RealGM

Post#153 » by clyde21 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:49 am

Colbinii wrote:
clyde21 wrote:that doesnt look anymore than an inch to me

It is half a block. You think those blocks are 2 inches?

i dont care about the blocks, look at their heads in comparison to Wemby's shoulders
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,968

Post#154 » by K_chile22 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:07 am

Colbinii wrote:

I'm sorry but this may be the funniest case of an already funny bit of people trying to triangulate players heights from pictures that could be off for a million reasons
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,703

Post#155 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:26 am

Cam Whitmore gives me Xavier Henry vibes.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#156 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:52 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I mean you really can’t get anything more official than barefoot measurements at the NBA combine. If you don’t believe those numbers, might as well not believe any measurement at all for anything. And if there is no baseline that people can’t all agree on to start the conversation on, pretty pointless to have the conversation.

I believe my eyes when hes on the court and he's not 6'7. It will be easy to put to bed once the season starts and we see him next to some guys again.

He's probably around 6'5 in a half
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#157 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:04 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I mean you really can’t get anything more official than barefoot measurements at the NBA combine. If you don’t believe those numbers, might as well not believe any measurement at all for anything. And if there is no baseline that people can’t all agree on to start the conversation on, pretty pointless to have the conversation.

I believe my eyes when hes on the court and he's not 6'7. It will be easy to put to bed once the season starts and we see him next to some guys again.

Shouldnt this put it to bed?

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro

6'5.75" barefoot measurement at the combine. Isnt that a more reliable source than trying to judge a player's actual height from your living room watching him on TV where guys are slouching, guys are at different distances and angles from the camera, wearing shoes with different amount of padding and so on? And its not like that height is not them pushing down on his hair or anything, the dude had his hair down at the combine.

Like what are we thinking? He was on his tippy toes at the combine when he got measured and no one cared? I just dont see how we can get anything more legit than barefoot height measured at the combine.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#158 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:21 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

6'5.75" barefoot measurement at the combine. Isnt that a more reliable source than trying to judge a player's actual height from your living room watching him on TV where guys are slouching, guys are at different distances and angles from the camera, wearing shoes with different amount of padding and so on? And its not like that height is not them pushing down on his hair or anything, the dude had his hair down at the combine.

Like what are we thinking? He was on his tippy toes at the combine when he got measured and no one cared? I just dont see how we can get anything more legit than barefoot height measured at the combine.

I've never seen him barefoot but I've seen him with shoes and i just don't see it. I hate to sit and argue against their measurements but he looks more like that height with shoes on.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#159 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:28 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:I believe my eyes when hes on the court and he's not 6'7. It will be easy to put to bed once the season starts and we see him next to some guys again.

I've never seen him barefoot but I've seen him with shoes and i just don't see it. I hate to sit and argue against their measurements but he looks more like that height with shoes on.

My only thing to this would be, he probably looks shorter and more compact because of his build. Only has a 6'8 wingspan and weighs 235. So the combination of not being as long and having a more compact build being 235, could play a part in this. I would lean more towards his build compared to most other wings is more likely playing a trick on your eyes vs he somehow snuck in an extra inch or so on his barefoot measurement at the combine.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#160 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:28 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

My only thing to this would be, he probably looks shorter and more compact because of his build. Only has a 6'8 wingspan and weighs 235. So the combination of not being as long and having a more compact build being 235, could play a part in this. I would lean more towards his build compared to most other wings is more likely playing a trick on your eyes vs he somehow snuck in an extra inch or so on his barefoot measurement at the combine.

Possibly

Return to NBA Draft