DaRon Holmes - Dayton

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Re: DaRon Holmes - Dayton 

Post#21 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:18 pm

I think he is a lotto talent - tons of teams want bigs that can stretch the floor and defend. Holmes has that potential.

I certainly would bet on him over Tyler Smith and really dont think there is a better floor stretching big in this draft (Dont believe Sarr is a 3PT shooter at the next level, Ware is just so low volume, etc.)
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#22 » by Norm2953 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:29 pm

Tankathon has him going 28th in this draft.

If that's the case, Portland owns the GSW pick and likely will have their pick of very similar bigs
to compete for a PF job in Portland. Team needs a big, physical player on their front line to play
alongside of Ayton and Grant
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#23 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:06 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Tankathon has him going 28th in this draft.

If that's the case, Portland owns the GSW pick and likely will have their pick of very similar bigs
to compete for a PF job in Portland. Team needs a big, physical player on their front line to play

Really interested in him getting run at PF in some of the pre-draft tryouts. If he holds up I would have no issue taking him w/ the GSW pick.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 858

Post#24 » by tester551 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:10 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Tankathon has him going 28th in this draft.

Agreed with targeting a PF. Holmes is my #2 PF target there right now (after Sarr).

I'm REALLY intrigued by Ulrich Chomche. The tape I watched of him reminds me so much of Giannis in how they move.... but I want to watch more tape of him.

I also think Johni Broome will surprise a lot of people.
Murray-Boyles is a good player, but his upside is limited due to his size.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,344

Post#25 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:23 pm

Sac should be looking hard at this dude. He could be the fit for Sabonis, and McNair drafts older players that are more ready to contribute.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,181

Post#26 » by greg4012 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:49 pm

I wouldn't bet on Holmes being a perfect fit in the frontcourt next to another big that is slower footed than him. But, if he can then he's even more valuable as a prospect.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,097

Post#27 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:41 am

SNPA wrote:Sac should be looking hard at this dude. He could be the fit for Sabonis, and McNair drafts older players that are more ready to contribute.

I've got Hall, Holmes, Filipowski and Ihgodaro as small ball centers. None of them are true centers and none are true power forwards but they all should be able to contribute, maybe even be major parts of rotations. As a Kings fan I'm hoping for someone like Dante because we need a shot blocker and defensive anchor bad. He's got the size and length to get it done. I don't think he's going to be there for our pick though.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,488

Post#28 » by azcatz11 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:21 pm

Is John Collins a good comp?
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,549

Post#29 » by BigGargamel » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:48 pm

I like Holmes. I don't think he has a lot of upside, but can definitely contribute. One of the guys I'm hoping Denver looks at. A backup who can play some center, can shoot, block shots, rebound, contribute a little bit everywhere. Plus (if this matters) he was a pretty high recruit so it's not like he was some talenteless nobody that came out of nowhere.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#30 » by SNPA » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:19 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
SNPA wrote:Sac should be looking hard at this dude. He could be the fit for Sabonis, and McNair drafts older players that are more ready to contribute.

I've got Hall, Holmes, Filipowski and Ihgodaro as small ball centers. None of them are true centers and none are true power forwards but they all should be able to contribute, maybe even be major parts of rotations. As a Kings fan I'm hoping for someone like Dante because we need a shot blocker and defensive anchor bad. He's got the size and length to get it done. I don't think he's going to be there for our pick though.

Seems like Sac would need to move up to get him. Low 20’s? The Knicks have two picks right there.

DaRon shoots threes and blocks shots. If he can defend in space Sac definitely needs to be considering him. He would be ready to contribute at his age.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:48 pm

SNPA wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

Seems like Sac would need to move up to get him. Low 20’s? The Knicks have two picks right there.

DaRon shoots threes and blocks shots. If he can defend in space Sac definitely needs to be considering him. He would be ready to contribute at his age.

yeah, no chance at drafting Holmes without a trade and the cupboard is bare which is why I have my sites on Dante but even he's likely going well before our pick.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#32 » by SNPA » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:24 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
SNPA wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

yeah, no chance at drafting Holmes without a trade and the cupboard is bare which is why I have my sites on Dante but even he's likely going well before our pick.

Huerter/Lyles/Sasha/Barnes/picks

Sac has ways to move up if needed. Take the Knocks example, they likely don’t want two rookies on a team trying to compete.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:55 am

SNPA wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
SNPA wrote:Seems like Sac would need to move up to get him. Low 20’s? The Knicks have two picks right there.

Sac has ways to move up if needed. Take the Knocks example, they likely don’t want two rookies on a team trying to compete.

I appreciate your optimism but I'm not seeing it. Huerter is injured and his contract sucks. Barnes is as mid and replaceable as they come and his contract sucks too. Lyles and Sasha are likely off the table as they're cheap and represent our only depth. Our mid-2nd can't compete with all the teams that have multiple 2nd or better contracts to trade. I'm resigned to us doing nothing. Our offseason will be spent desperately trying and failing to keep Monk. Then we'll sign a bunch of vet minimum guys. We're likely to take a substantial step back and be picking in the top 10. If either Fox or Sabonis misses time with injury it might get so bad we might just punt the season which honestly, is better than treading water because at least we'd have a high pick. Ughh, now I'm depressed
SNPA
General Manager

Post#34 » by SNPA » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:01 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
SNPA wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

I appreciate your optimism but I'm not seeing it. Huerter is injured and his contract sucks. Barnes is as mid and replaceable as they come and his contract sucks too. Lyles and Sasha are likely off the table as they're cheap and represent our only depth. Our mid-2nd can't compete with all the teams that have multiple 2nd or better contracts to trade. I'm resigned to us doing nothing. Our offseason will be spent desperately trying and failing to keep Monk. Then we'll sign a bunch of vet minimum guys. We're likely to take a substantial step back and be picking in the top 10. If either Fox or Sabonis misses time with injury it might get so bad we might just punt the season which honestly, is better than treading water because at least we'd have a high pick. Ughh, now I'm depressed

Monte had several years and the team sucked. He made the Sabonis trade, drafted Murray and the team is good. Monte proceeds to do nothing that deadline. He does nothing that offseason (signs Sabonis but nothing really to get better). The deadline comes this year…Monte does nothing.

If you are suggesting Monte fails on Monk and signs vet minimums this offseason then we are going on an initial few seasons of suck, followed by a trade/draft that ignited winning, followed by two years of nothing. That won’t work. His seat will get hot. He has to do something this summer to keep up with the West.
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,449

Post#35 » by 2weekswithpay » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:49 am

azcatz11 wrote:Is John Collins a good comp?

Defensively I think they're comparable.

On offense, John Collins is a plus athlete and elite at finishing around the basket despite not having great size at the 4. I'm doubtful that Holmes will finish at the rim with the same consistency and efficiency as Collins. Holmes can pass which is something Collins hasn't added to his game.

My issue with Holmes is his size. Holmes and Collins are similar in size with Holmes being an inch taller and his wingspan being an inch longer. Collins is too small to be effective defensively at the 5 so I'm concerned that Holmes will run into the same issue. An undersized 5 that struggles to protect the rim and isn't that great at switching.

These two plays against Arizona were somewhat concerning to me. Back to back possessions, they went right at him in transition.

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,460

Post#36 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:31 am

He's not very physical and he plays smaller than his size IMO. I want to like him but I just don't see him carving out a niche long term in the NBA. He's not even as athletic as guys like Isaiah Jackson and Jalen Smith and their minutes are sporadic.

Is he better than Trey Lyles?
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
RyugaFan
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#37 » by RyugaFan » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:08 pm

Daron's good, he just isn't natural center size.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,181

Post#38 » by greg4012 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 375

Post#39 » by Euphonetiks » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:05 pm

With his increased playmaking and shooting progression, Holmes would be nteresting for the Pelicans who should pick in his range and need a versatile big who can offer some rim protection.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,281

Post#40 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:33 pm

he's kinda like a Christian Wood on offense, more athletic tho, but still some of the possibly mission critical flaws as Wood elsewhere

Return to NBA Draft