U19 World Cup 2023

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,914

Re: U19 World Cup 2023 

Post#21 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Jul 3, 2023 12:55 am

Team USA literally took zero centers (guys over 6'10). That makes no sense. This is FIBA basketball. You need a big man in the middle.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,158

Post#22 » by rk2023 » Mon Jul 3, 2023 1:20 am

How shocking was the loss to Turkey - as well as to France?

Don't follow some of these more youth-driven / prospect featured tournaments as one who's new, but getting into, to scouting. From what I've heard, the 2019 roster and 2021 (amongst other examples) brought much better talent. How does this most recent team stack up?
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,145

Post#23 » by The Moose » Mon Jul 3, 2023 1:32 am

Almansa now has taken MVP of the u19 World Cup, u18 euro championship and u17 World Cup in successive years.

He was great, Sarr looked intriguing too. OTE was pretty well represented here. I’ll be watching a lot of Sarr when he’s down here
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#24 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Jul 3, 2023 4:50 am

rk2023 wrote:How shocking was the loss to Turkey - as well as to France?

Don't follow some of these more youth-driven / prospect featured tournaments as one who's new, but getting into, to scouting. From what I've heard, the 2019 roster and 2021 (amongst other examples) brought much better talent. How does this most recent team stack up?

It's pretty bad but not too shocking given who they sent and it doesn't seem to mean a lot anymore. The 2021 roster wasn't really any better tbh. 2019 was LOADED as we sent pretty much all the top talent. But remember, the talent for France and Spain is leaps better than it was in those years. I honestly don't think the top guys care all that much to make the trip. The big fish are working on their games preparing for their college freshmen seasons at big schools. Once this team lost to France last game they seemingly mailed it in.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,505

Post#25 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jul 3, 2023 6:22 am

The Moose wrote:Risacher has looked pretty average

Looks like a worse Grady Dick on offense (bit better passing sometimes, but bad handle, can throw errant passes, shot is quick but doesn't seem as accurate).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
crows2
Senior
And1: 570

Post#26 » by crows2 » Mon Jul 3, 2023 9:39 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:Final Thoughts

France was the most talented team but the officiating was very one-sided and cost them the Final game against Spain. I understand why Risacher has the attention of NBA scouts with his springiness and potential on defense. He also seems to have a decent BBIQ but he might have been the 5th best NBA prospect on the floor today behind Sarr, Almansa, Ajinca, and Perrin. Still a likely first round pick but these mock drafts that have him #1 are just way off imo.

We sent a bunch of low BBIQ chuckers to this tournament and I don't feel like it was even coached to win tbh. Newell is the best NBA talent on the roster. He's legit elite. He should be a lock for top 5. Johnson has a deep bag and great skill but he's a chucker and will need to be reigned in. If he's to be elite he'll need to focus on defense and get stronger as well. Jackson needs more polish and he's a good not elite NBA prospect. I think scouts like the idea of Cody Williams more than the reality.

Oversight to not mention Dylan Harper? Looks like possibly the best prospect alongside Newell.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,158

Post#27 » by rk2023 » Mon Jul 3, 2023 1:30 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

It's pretty bad but not too shocking given who they sent and it doesn't seem to mean a lot anymore. The 2021 roster wasn't really any better tbh. 2019 was LOADED as we sent pretty much all the top talent. But remember, the talent for France and Spain is leaps better than it was in those years. I honestly don't think the top guys care all that much to make the trip. The big fish are working on their games preparing for their college freshmen seasons at big schools. Once this team lost to France last game they seemingly mailed it in.

Go figure. It's my belief a game such as this could hold more merit for scouts well before the season commences.. but oh well.
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#28 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Jul 4, 2023 3:54 am

rk2023 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Go figure. It's my belief a game such as this could hold more merit for scouts well before the season commences.. but oh well.

yeah, it could. But the top guys are likely working hard with trainers either independently or via their schools/leagues working on specific drills to address specific areas of their game. The problem with U19 is there's no real consistent minutes or rotations. Top guys maybe don't want to sit watching guys they know they're better than get as many or more minutes than them and be on the floor in crunch over them. They probably feel like it's better to avoid all the travel and just focus on themselves. Can't really blame them.

Return to NBA Draft