Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Re: Alex Sarr 

Post#21 » by Rafael122 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 8:50 pm

Mobley doesn't try enough 3s for it to be a consideration, and he's a lifetime 66% shooting from the line and he still went top 4. The issue he's facing is that he and Allen can't play together b/c neither can shoot.

Sarr needs to shoot better, I think he's already going top 5 here. There's too much there defensively for him to drop outside the top 5. His best bet is to play with a big that can shoot, think KAT, so the pressure for a jumpshot to come won't be as high. But if he goes into a situation like Portland or Charlotte, or even Orlando, the fit may not be there.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
crows2
Senior
And1: 567

Post#22 » by crows2 » Sat Oct 7, 2023 6:39 am

Two clutch 3s by Sarr in the final 2 minutes to seal the game last night.

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,325

Post#23 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 7, 2023 7:21 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Mobley doesn't try enough 3s for it to be a consideration, and he's a lifetime 66% shooting from the line and he still went top 4. The issue he's facing is that he and Allen can't play together b/c neither can shoot.

Sarr needs to shoot better, I think he's already going top 5 here. There's too much there defensively for him to drop outside the top 5. His best bet is to play with a big that can shoot, think KAT, so the pressure for a jumpshot to come won't be as high. But if he goes into a situation like Portland or Charlotte, or even Orlando, the fit may not be there.

Or he can just play the 5...most 4's in the league these days (especially 4's who are starters) can shoot decent enough.

Portland right now, their starting 4 is Jerami Grant, so Sarr could play the 5 next to him. Yes, Portland has Ayton and Rob williams (i doubt they play those 2 guys together much_ ) but since they have ayton and rob, they wouldn't be a good fit for Sarr. With the way Portland's roster looks right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they make the play-in..I doubt they are bad enough to land a top 3 pick.

And at this point I have Sarr as the #1 pick. It's still very early but I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't go top 3.

Washington looks like a team that could get the number 1 pick and they could certainly use a center..once Sarr is ready to start, he could just move into the starting lineup and Gafford could slide in to be his backup..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#24 » by deepeeenn » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:27 pm

I think if you’re a western team and land #1, you’ll probably end up going with Sarr. I think that with Wemby making headlines all year, teams will look for solutions to defending him. They’ll naturally gravitate towards a 7’1” mobile two way center like Sarr to make it easier for them. I think that’s the way it’s going to go as long as he doesn’t fall flat on his face the rest of the year.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,333

Post#25 » by Catchall » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:53 pm

Sarr's combination of physical profile, athleticism, shooting touch and ability to handle a bit could give him upside that's comparable to Joel Embiid when Embiid was entering the draft, imo. (Embiid developed his iso scoring once he came into the league.) Sarr just needs to show consistency and sample size.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,678

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:30 pm

HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#27 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:21 pm

Sarr is kind of like Evan Mobley in that if he got a jumper, he could be an offensive star, but they're both just going to forever be bad shooters so their faceup game becomes not valuable.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,963

Post#28 » by Phreak50 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:45 am

Funny you mention his shooting, the game he playing now the commentators are saying he has a flaw in his technique, holding the ball too tight and his non-shooting hand too far behind the ball.

It’s wild, he wasn’t shooting like this at the start of the season. He now has a weird hitch in the shot. Whoever is working with him needs to be fired.

He went from hitting back to back swishes late in the 4th of his first game to just now live, absolutely bricking a few and badly banking one in.

He is a good ball handler for his size and has great shot blocking instincts, I still think he will be a star.
TheDraftGuy
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#29 » by TheDraftGuy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:03 pm

I'm still not sure how to categorize Sarr.

Still not sure if he's a modern Chris Webber or he's just an Emeka Okafor/Marcus Camby with playmaking and a three ball.

He looks Ayton-esque, at times, where he's skilled and can get stats but is passive or highly dependent on a guard to assist him (rather than being able to fully create his own shot).

Maybe things will change as we see more but right now, I'd caution taking him at #1.
Blaze the Nugz
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#30 » by Blaze the Nugz » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:50 pm

How y'all rating Sarr now that we've got a few months of game video to analyze?
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,281

Post#31 » by JMAC3 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:41 pm

Blaze the Nugz wrote:How y'all rating Sarr now that we've got a few months of game video to analyze?

Sarr is fine to me, where he ranks on my final big board probably has more to do with the other prospects than him at this point. I assume he will end up somewhere between 3-6 for me. Defensive big with some flashes on offense is solid, but likely won't be a top 3 player from his class.

Risacher, Williams, Holland, Topic all probably have a higher ceiling, but I am not completely sold on any of those guys yet either.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,387

Post#32 » by King Ken » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:22 pm

I do not love this kid's game at all. I see the positives and I see the modern element but offensively, wtf is he really?

You gotta really bet on the person if you are going to take this kid.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,960

Post#33 » by Frichuela » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:56 pm

King Ken wrote:I do not love this kid's game at all. I see the positives and I see the modern element but offensively, wtf is he really?

Yep. Offensively he is a work in progress. You would want to speak to all of his coaches about his character and work ethic. The measurements, athletic tools and fluidity of movement are there, he just needs to work very hard on his craft.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,325

Post#34 » by Hal14 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:28 pm

King Ken wrote:I do not love this kid's game at all. I see the positives and I see the modern element but offensively, wtf is he really?

He's an 18 yr old, playing in 1 of the top pro leagues in the world and is 7'1". What exactly do you expect him to do offensively that he hasn't shown this season?

He's taken guys into the post and scored. He's shown the ability to face up from the wing, put the ball on the floor, make a spin move and hit the turnaround jumper from the baseline. He's hit 3's off the catch or off the dribble. He's led the break, finished on the break, taken it coast to coast, weaving in and out of defenders. Made some impressive passing reads.

Sets good screens, good as roller, finisher off the roll, can make passes out of short roll. Decent touch around the basket. Gets offensive boards, catches lobs.

Maybe you just have to watch more of his games..

What 18 year old playing this level of competition at 7'1" (or taller) has shown more offensively in the past 5 years than Sarr? Wemby of course, but other than that, who? I'm honestly having trouble thinking of anyone else..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,387

Post#35 » by King Ken » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:10 am

Hal14 wrote:

He's an 18 yr old, playing in 1 of the top pro leagues in the world and is 7'1". What exactly do you expect him to do offensively that he hasn't shown this season?

He's taken guys into the post and scored. He's shown the ability to face up from the wing, put the ball on the floor, make a spin move and hit the turnaround jumper from the baseline. He's hit 3's off the catch or off the dribble. He's led the break, finished on the break, taken it coast to coast, weaving in and out of defenders. Made some impressive passing reads.

Sets good screens, good as roller, finisher off the roll, can make passes out of short roll. Decent touch around the basket. Gets offensive boards, catches lobs.

Maybe you just have to watch more of his games..

What 18 year old playing this level of competition at 7'1" (or taller) has shown more offensively in the past 5 years than Sarr? Wemby of course, but other than that, who? I'm honestly having trouble thinking of anyone else..

He flashes but doesn't actually do anything offensively consistently. I really don't like his offensive feel for the game. He has no reliable post game. It's basically, let me use my handles to get to the paint to score in traffic which works at times. I value it to a degree but what if I need an easy basket and a dunk isn't available? I need you to make something out of nothing. I haven't seen that ability from him.

His screens are very hit or miss. Everything offensively is a flash. My nickname for him is Kodak. I don't see it constantly but i do see flashes.

I've watched full games and color me unimpressed. He's a freak athlete with elite lateral movement and he's explosive blocking shots. I see the defensive upside and think he may be a 4 defensively and a 3 offensively but he is years away from that being tangible.

I hope he's a terrific kid with a tremendous work ethic. I really like kids from Overtime Elite so he's already gets cookies from me on that along. Those kids know how to compete.

That's kinda difficult to say. 18 really ain't that many kids over 7'1 being more than reserves.

I like Clingan offense more last year when he was 18. He does things he's good at. Sarr does things he talented at but he isn't good at them yet.

I liked Ayton more. Definitely Chet at Gonzaga. There aren't a lot of offensive minded 7+ kids out there. It's a limited amount.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#36 » by Upperclass » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:13 am

Sarr has awful foot work and questionable paint touch .. he looks like a James Wiseman or larger Bagley most of the time
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,836

Post#37 » by EmpireFalls » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:59 pm

This kid is going to start the trend of these long guys with physical tools like his being drafted high as Wemby/Giannis stoppers.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,013

Post#38 » by Village Idiot » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 am

His narrow frame and lack of core strength are going to limit him to the PF position. I love his defensive potential. Mobley is a good comp.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,281

Post#39 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:30 pm

I think he is a good athlete, he glides down the floor and his defensive footwork is really good for a 7 footer. I haven't really seen a ton of explosion from him vertically though. His standing Vert actually looks pretty bad for a guy his size. Not so bad he isn't able to dunk or anything but I watched 4+ mins of him dunking and I think he caught one Alley. Some of that is on the passing, but he has a lot more rim grazing dunks then you would expect.

Even going back a year to him playing in OTE, I didn't think athletically he really stood out too often.

I still think he brings a lot of Mobley with him, but Mobley is a better athlete from a standstill.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,721

Post#40 » by yosemiteben » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:38 pm

Kinda crazy that this dude night be the #1 overall pick and there's no chatter about him at all in this thread in the last month. Are people out on this guy?

Return to NBA Draft