Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Re: Kylan Boswell, PG, Arizona 

Post#21 » by EvanZ » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:06 am

I love watching this kid

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 10,514

Post#22 » by ___Rand___ » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:49 pm

He played relatively well against Bama. Timely shots good decision making on the offensive end.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,093

Post#23 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:48 am

guys like him and Sheppard are why I like college basketball so much. Not great pro prospects but since the skill level is higher than most in college and size and athleticism aren't such major hurdles to jump, they're able to show out. There's something more pure about college, or at least there used to be before NIL and transfers.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#24 » by babyjax13 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:31 am

Had my first look at him in a game, he is pretty fun. Great court vision and throws some passes you just don't expect. Nice shooter and physical defender, obviously small. His build reminds me a bit of FVV and I can see him carving out a role in the league - maybe not to that level of success, but outside the lottery he seems like a nice pick (and maybe into the tail end, though I suspect I'll have guys I'd rather take there by season's end).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#25 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:02 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Had my first look at him in a game, he is pretty fun. Great court vision and throws some passes you just don't expect. Nice shooter and physical defender, obviously small. His build reminds me a bit of FVV and I can see him carving out a role in the league - maybe not to that level of success, but outside the lottery he seems like a nice pick (and maybe into the tail end, though I suspect I'll have guys I'd rather take there by season's end).

He makes me think more of Brunson physically, and can likely finish at the rim whereas FVV has trouble finishing at the rim. FVV is too small - he's like 5'11" at most (FVV is shorter than Lowry by an inch or 2 they're both listed as 6'). Boswell has a second round grade, but his game is quite advanced and mature for an 18 year old! Brunson didn't look like this in his first couple of years in NBA. I am thinking he's a late 1st in any other drafts might rise due to a weak draft this year. I think having guys like Brunson, Lowry, FVV being successful in NBA at 6' or smaller makes his chances of getting drafted in 1st round more likely.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#26 » by EvanZ » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:23 pm

I think everyone here is underrating how good Boswell actually is at basketball. This is not a second rounder. This is a top 10-14 guy, and maybe higher than that in this class.

Guys, keep in mind everyone you're brining up from Brunson to FVV were already 22 or 23 when they came out. Kylan Boswell is freaking 18 years old. It's insane how young this kid is for being a sophomore. He's younger than most Freshman we're talking about. Listen and listen closely. HE LITERALLY WOULD BE ONE OF THE YOUNGEST FRESHMAN IN THIS CLASS.

Nobody other than me is really grasping how big of a deal this is for this kid to be so good at point guarding at this age. This kid is near savant level.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,465

Post#27 » by azcatz11 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:09 pm

EvanZ wrote:I think everyone here is underrating how good Boswell actually is at basketball. This is not a second rounder. This is a top 10-14 guy, and maybe higher than that in this class.

Guys, keep in mind everyone you're brining up from Brunson to FVV were already 22 or 23 when they came out. Kylan Boswell is freaking 18 years old. It's insane how young this kid is for being a sophomore. He's younger than most Freshman we're talking about. Listen and listen closely. HE LITERALLY WOULD BE ONE OF THE YOUNGEST FRESHMAN IN THIS CLASS.

Nobody other than me is really grasping how big of a deal this is for this kid to be so good at point guarding at this age. This kid is near savant level.

Yep. Nailed it. Rough shooting game yesterday but he’s so young. My fear is he’s peaked already
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#28 » by EvanZ » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:22 pm

If he keeps shooting near 40% I think we have to start thinking of higher end comps like Deron Williams.

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,465

Post#29 » by azcatz11 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:46 pm

EvanZ wrote:If he keeps shooting near 40% I think we have to start thinking of higher end comps like Deron Williams.

Deron Williams is a good comp but he was much taller than Boswell
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#30 » by EvanZ » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:15 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:If he keeps shooting near 40% I think we have to start thinking of higher end comps like Deron Williams.

DWill is 6’3” and Kylan is listed at 6’3” isn’t he? Can’t be “much taller”.

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#31 » by babyjax13 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:34 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Had my first look at him in a game, he is pretty fun. Great court vision and throws some passes you just don't expect. Nice shooter and physical defender, obviously small. His build reminds me a bit of FVV and I can see him carving out a role in the league - maybe not to that level of success, but outside the lottery he seems like a nice pick (and maybe into the tail end, though I suspect I'll have guys I'd rather take there by season's end).

He makes me think more of Brunson physically, and can likely finish at the rim whereas FVV has trouble finishing at the rim. FVV is too small - he's like 5'11" at most (FVV is shorter than Lowry by an inch or 2 they're both listed as 6'). Boswell has a second round grade, but his game is quite advanced and mature for an 18 year old! Brunson didn't look like this in his first couple of years in NBA. I am thinking he's a late 1st in any other drafts might rise due to a weak draft this year. I think having guys like Brunson, Lowry, FVV being successful in NBA at 6' or smaller makes his chances of getting drafted in 1st round more likely.

I think you are right that he's easily better than the second round. Maybe I'll jump on the train later, I'm not seeing lottery yet, but could be convinced depending on how things go with him and other prospects.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#32 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:26 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

I think you are right that he's easily better than the second round. Maybe I'll jump on the train later, I'm not seeing lottery yet, but could be convinced depending on how things go with him and other prospects.

Yeah I don't see lottery for him no. Instead of being the 30th pick he might go 25th.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#33 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:52 pm

EvanZ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Arizona lists him at 6'2". College always add an inch or 2 so I'm going to guess he's 6'1".
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#34 » by EvanZ » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:06 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Arizona lists him at 6'2". College always add an inch or 2 so I'm going to guess he's 6'1".

Good thing is starting this year we don't have to guess. He will get measured at the Combine.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,083

Post#35 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:39 pm

Kid is a winner. That always plays.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,150

Post#36 » by The-Power » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:40 pm

I like him. I can see the Brunson comparison. Unfortunately it's always a bit difficult to project these kind of players but recent history has shown that there even is a reasonable path towards (lower) All-Star level if things break right. I'm a bit worried about his inability to draw fouls but he's an interesting prospect for sure and definitely worth a FRP (we'll see how high but I do think he could be a dark horse lottery candidate).
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#37 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 2, 2024 4:09 pm

There are typically 2-4 Freshman/Sophomore players each season in College Basketball with the following:

> 40% 3P
> 3% STL%
> 20% AST%

Another Sophomore in this group, this year, is Tamin Lipsey for Iowa State. Listed at 6' 1", he is currently 6th in the NCAA in BPM. Something to keep an eye on when talking about Boswell is also looking and comparing to Lipsey.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#38 » by EvanZ » Tue Jan 2, 2024 5:24 pm

Yeah Lipsey putting up great stats. Will wait to see what he does against better competition.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#39 » by ___Rand___ » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:09 pm

Just for fun I googled a couple of mock drafts. Kylan is moving up the boards I think! Saw a few mocks that had him in the 20s which is where I think he'll go. ESPN's latest mock still had him in 2nd around (but they also put Zach Edey in lottery which is absurd). Athletic's still has him in 2nd round at 50th. Keeping receipts.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,279

Post#40 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 9:35 pm

he has great BBIQ and can shoot it but I am just not a huge fan of the physical profile and the fact that he can't even get to the line at least once a game is troubling

Return to NBA Draft