Anthony Black - Arkansas

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,279

Re: Anthony Black - Arkansas 

Post#221 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:57 pm

CptCrunch wrote:Okay, I knew Black played football but didn't know he was a 3 star WR with P5 offers.

If this kid didn't waste half of his time laying football, surely his basketball would be better.

not only football, also played soccer, wanted to continue playing soccer actually but the program wanted him to sign a soccer only contract or so that made him stop playing soccer altogether.

his younger bro Beckham Black was named after David Beckham iirc
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#222 » by Colbinii » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:Okay, I knew Black played football but didn't know he was a 3 star WR with P5 offers.

If this kid didn't waste half of his time laying football, surely his basketball would be better.

not only football, also played soccer, wanted to continue playing soccer actually but the program wanted him to sign a soccer only contract or so that made him stop playing soccer altogether.

That's why his BBIQ is so high. Soccer players scale exceptionally well in that department.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#223 » by Catchall » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:55 am

Anthony Black is working out for Utah tomorrow. It's making me think the Jazz have the ability to trade up a couple spots in the draft order.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 3,048

Post#224 » by Teen Girl Squad » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:03 pm

clyde21 wrote:

I didn't know that. Multisport athletes are a sneaky good trait in prospects. Tends to help with bball IQ/flexibility/finding a style that works with them.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,278

Post#225 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:29 pm

Colbinii wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

That's why his BBIQ is so high. Soccer players scale exceptionally well in that department.

Well, it definitely helps someone with knowing what to do when they aren't on the ball. Or when the ball isn't even in your side of the field. And since association football isn't a sport with continuous stoppages (like American football, for example) you always have to survey the field, push for weaknesses and find ways to get numerical advantages for your team or get open (depending on your position, of course). So, yeah, I can definitely see how this would help a player's ability to process what's happening on the court.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#226 » by Colbinii » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:48 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Well, it definitely helps someone with knowing what to do when they aren't on the ball. Or when the ball isn't even in your side of the field. And since association football isn't a sport with continuous stoppages (like American football, for example) you always have to survey the field, push for weaknesses and find ways to get numerical advantages for your team or get open (depending on your position, of course). So, yeah, I can definitely see how this would help a player's ability to process what's happening on the court.

I'm not saying Black will be Nash, but one of the top two aspect of Nash's biggest impacts on his career to being an Offensive GOAT player and arguably quickest decision maker we have ever seen in the NBA was due to Soccer.

His other one is quite interesting--his Dad always challenged him as a kid to make the craziest and most difficult passes when learning basketball.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
clyde21
RealGM

Post#227 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:01 pm

CptCrunch wrote:At this point, it is clear that some here think AB is some average PG in terms of passing/vision while others (like me) see AB as one of the best passing PG with the highest basketball IQ to come along in years. That's really the gap in understanding here.

this is essentially what it's boiling down to at this point - either you believe he's a legit lead guard prospect or not. how u feel about the rest of his game depends on how you view his archetype, primary or secondary playmaker.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,434

Post#228 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:04 pm

the things i was most impressed with regarding black were his effort and his bball iq. those two aspects of his game were unique for a frosh. such smart, under control lead guard who made the right play and then his effort defensively was pretty special.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,545

Post#229 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:16 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I'm not saying Black will be Nash, but one of the top two aspect of Nash's biggest impacts on his career to being an Offensive GOAT player and arguably quickest decision maker we have ever seen in the NBA was due to Soccer.

His other one is quite interesting--his Dad always challenged him as a kid to make the craziest and most difficult passes when learning basketball.

It can onlynhelp in terms of being more well-rounded and having a higher sporting IQ.

But there can be a price too. Suggs, who was a 2-sport guy, is a great examaple whereby the IQ and work ethic isnthrough the roof from football, but at the cost of a developed bag. His handle is rudimentary for his age and he's so physical at times he tends to injure himself easily.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#230 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:27 am

at this risk of posting useless open gym tape of someone shooting, there seems to be clear improve here from a set shot to what somewhat of a jump shot and off movement as well, some serious range too

Read on Twitter
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#231 » by Colbinii » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:02 am

clyde21 wrote:at this risk of posting useless open gym tape of someone shooting, there seems to be clear improve here from a set shot to what somewhat of a jump shot and off movement as well, some serious range too

Read on Twitter

It will be a work in progress. There is a hitch/pause in the shot but that is normal for a new shot. Glad he is working on this.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,278

Post#232 » by Nuntius » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:17 pm

clyde21 wrote:at this risk of posting useless open gym tape of someone shooting, there seems to be clear improve here from a set shot to what somewhat of a jump shot and off movement as well, some serious range too

Read on Twitter

Good. This is definitely not a useless open gym tape, imo. It does show a distinct improvement in form. As Colbinii said, it will be a work in progress but it does look better.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,857

Post#233 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 1, 2023 2:17 pm

Whats going on with this guy?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,434

Post#234 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Nov 1, 2023 5:43 pm

76ciology wrote:Whats going on with this guy?

there is no path for playing time for a rookie guard on the Magic unless they make trades or there is an injury to one of their guards.

it's nothing wrong with Black, it's just the situation he was drafted into. they have a guard rotation of Fultz, Suggs, Anthony and Harris - no room for Black.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,168

Post#235 » by Braggins » Wed Nov 1, 2023 6:07 pm

The Magic start two guards who are excellent defenders and iffy to bad shooters. You can't really play another weak outside shooter with their current guard rotation and they already have plenty of defense. I'm guessing hes basically the next man up, though.

Hes gotten a few garbage minutes in two of their games. I didn't see the most recent one but against the Rockets he had 5 pts 2 blk 1 ast in 5 minutes. One of the blocks was on Amen.

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#236 » by EvanZ » Wed Nov 1, 2023 6:27 pm

Orlando is going to have to go through a consolidation phase at some point.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,956

Post#237 » by basketballRob » Thu Nov 2, 2023 12:14 am

What do you mean?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
76ciology
RealGM

Post#238 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:05 am

basketballRob wrote:
What do you mean?

The previous 3 guys who replied before you got what I mean, and those replies could have helped you understand what my question means.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,956

Post#239 » by basketballRob » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:28 am

76ciology wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
What do you mean?

The previous 3 guys who replied before you got what I mean, and those replies could have helped you understand what my question means.
Okay. Yes, Fultz starts at PG, and Cole is the backup. Usually, 19 year old rookies aren't very effective, and we're trying to win. Players like Miller, Thompsons, and Chet are all one year older and the same age as Paolo. I expect that after 1 year, Black will be in the rotation. If one of the guards goes down this season, he's be the next player up.

These are all pretty obvious observations.

76ciology
RealGM

Post#240 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:42 am

basketballRob wrote:
76ciology wrote:
basketballRob wrote:What do you mean?

Okay. Yes, Fultz starts at PG, and Cole is the backup. Usually, 19 year old rookies aren't very effective, and we're trying to win. Players like Miller, Thompsons, and Chet are all one year older and the same age as Paolo. I expect that after 1 year, Black will be in the rotation. If one of the guards goes down this season, he's be the next player up.

These are all pretty obvious observations.

Wont Suggs be the guy who’s gonna be next in line?

I dont buy into the G depth.

Because Fultz, Cole and Suggs have holes to their game. They wont start at G position in most teams in the league. Its not hard to start over 1 of them. Marcus Sasser has a pretty good chance of starting over one of them.

AB is still young, and we dont know how much he’s gonna improve in the future. Maybe he becomes the next Luka Doncic. Nobody knows. But as of right now, it’s not looking good for him. He can’t create or shoot at the G position, which is a red flag since day 1.

Im not a magic hater, I was a big fan of Fultz before and still support him until now (if he’s healthy he can be better than Tatum. But that shoulder looks really broken). And I was the biggest Franz supporter in our board before he got drafted.

It’s just i’ve seen this movie before. Once he gets playing time there will be the “next jason kidd” comparison. Or comparing to great players of past era where the skillset required was different from today. Maybe he turns it around like Lonzo prior to the injury. But again, as of now, he’s starting from a bad position.

I like Jett Howard though and I wouldnt mind him selected at Black’s slot in the draft

Return to NBA Draft