GG Jackson Thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,145

Re: GG Jackson Thread 

Post#261 » by The Moose » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:53 pm

There was a rumour going around of a player getting caught smoking a vape during a workout break. The way he is continuously dropping in mocks makes me think it may have been him
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,145

Post#262 » by The Moose » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:54 pm

EvanZ wrote:From what I'm hearing he might go undrafted.

Based on his season or his post season draft process? Or a combination of both?

Would be a disaster for him
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,394

Post#263 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:08 pm

The Moose wrote:There was a rumour going around of a player getting caught smoking a vape during a workout break. The way he is continuously dropping in mocks makes me think it may have been him

Read on Twitter
?s=20
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#264 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:10 pm

I'm buying the upside. Was the #1 ranked player in the 2024 draft before reclassifying.

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 938

Post#265 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:48 pm

Hal14 wrote:
The Moose wrote:There was a rumour going around of a player getting caught smoking a vape during a workout break. The way he is continuously dropping in mocks makes me think it may have been him

Read on Twitter
?s=20

No one would care that much if GG was just vaping in his free time.

GG Jackson ragequitting a workout to go vape in the locker room is uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, much worse.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#266 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:23 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

GG Jackson ragequitting a workout to go vape in the locker room is uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, much worse.

Ragequitting? lol. Exaggerate much?

I haven't seen this reported by any legit sources. Have you?

Sounds like merely some rumor / heresy.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,463

Post#267 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:26 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

The rumor was actually a bit more extreme than The Moose remembers it. The rumor was that there was a player who was having a very bad work out, couldn't keep up the rest and stormed out of the work out and went to the locker room. Then, the team sent an assistant in the locker room to find out what's up and that's when they caught him vaping. The rumor also says that he tried to cover up the vape with his foot and play it cool.

I don't really care whether a player vapes or not but this rumor is baaaaaad for many reasons other than the vaping :lol:
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#268 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:26 pm

Hal14 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Ragequitting? lol. Exaggerate much?

I haven't seen this reported by any legit sources. Have you?

Sounds like merely some rumor / heresy.

Gary Parrish said that a prospect was having a terrible workout, ended the workout early, went to the locker room, eventually a scout went into the locker room to find him, the prospect was vaping and then dropped the vape pen and tried to cover it with his foot after he saw the scout there.

And right before he gave this report, GG Jackson had started plummeting down most mock drafts soooooooooo

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/comments/13ynmpf/2100_cbs_sportss_gary_parrish_reported_today_that/
Hal14
RealGM

Post#269 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:35 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

The rumor was actually a bit more extreme than The Moose remembers it. The rumor was that there was a player who was having a very bad work out, couldn't keep up the rest and stormed out of the work out and went to the locker room. Then, the team sent an assistant in the locker room to find out what's up and that's when they caught him vaping. The rumor also says that he tried to cover up the vape with his foot and play it cool.

I don't really care whether a player vapes or not but this rumor is baaaaaad for many reasons other than the vaping :lol:

The keyword I'm seeing in your post is rumor.

And we have no idea who the player is...
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#270 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:59 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Rumor, yes, but not an internet rumor. It was first reported by Gary Parrish (as HadAnEffectHere posted) and then broadcasted on the Chris Vernor show. Here's a video where you can hear about it yourself:

It starts at the 20:28 mark.

And it is true that no one has confirmed who the player is but the one name that has consistently fallen in mock drafts among all draftniks ever since this rumor came out is GG Jackson.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Hal14
RealGM

Post#271 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:04 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Rumor, yes, but not an internet rumor. It was first reported by Gary Parrish (as HadAnEffectHere posted) and then broadcasted on the Chris Vernor show. Here's a video where you can hear about it yourself:

And it is true that no one has confirmed who the player is but the one name that has consistently fallen in mock drafts among all draftniks ever since this rumor came out is GG Jackson.

Ok, I just watched the video where the bald guy is telling the story.

-Bald guy wasn't even there. He's just telling a story that he heard from someone else. We know how that goes, it's like that game telephone where you hear a story from someone else, then when you go and tell the story to other people, now the story sounds different than what really happened. And when you tell it, you're probably gonna exaggerate it a bit, make it more theatrical - especially if you're telling the story on some sports talk show.

-The guy who the bald guy heard this story from, is an agent who has multiple projected 1st round picks as clients. But this player who allegedly did this is NOT one of the agent's clients. Hmm, so perhaps this slimy agent is just stirring the pot, trying to spread rumors about some prospect to get that prospect to slide in the draft, so that HIS clients get drafted higher

-Parrish says in the video that this agent tells him that some prospect is someone who "everyone has him in the 1st round - I betcha he slips to the 2nd"

-The only one who actually went into the locker room and witnessed the prospect do this was some "team staff member". So again, it goes back to the game of telephone. The staff member told someone what happened, then maybe that person told someone, who then told this agent, who then told Parrish. Then Parrish tells the story on this radio show. So who knows what really happened? If this prospect was out of shape, ok. This agent (who has other prospects for clients projected to go 1st round but this vaping prospect is NOT his client) is probably just spreading rumors to get his clients drafted higher. We haven't seen this reported anywhere legit, other than someone loud mouth guy on a sports talk radio show, with a bunch of other dudes giggling like it's some middle school gossip. So I take it with a grain of salt.

That could be GG, but it could also be Cissoko. It could be Sensabaugh. Cissoko looked like he had packed on some weight at the combine pro day, looked a tad out of shape. Sensabaugh, we all know has been carrying around some extra weight and isn't in the best shape.

GG, Sensabaugh and Cissoko have all been sliding in the mock drafts lately.

That podcast was June 2. Was probably recorded a few days before then. Parrish put out this mock draft on 5/13:
https://www.on3.com/news/cbs-sports-updated-2023-nba-mock-draft-victor-wembanyama-scoot-henderson-brandon-miller-lottery/

If we look at that mock, what stands out? What player is high in this mock compared to most of the other mocks? It's Sensabaugh. Parrish has Sensabaugh at 13 here. He's got GG at 21.

Cissoko isn't even in the 1st round in this mock by Parrish so I doubt it's him.

Hell, it could be Rupert. That mock from a few weeks ago by Parrish, he has Rupert in the 1st round, at 25. But the latest mock posted today by Wasserman, Rupert is in the 2nd round, at 31.

Hell, it could be Terquavion Smith, Jalen Wilson or Marcus Sasser. Parrish has all 3 of those guys in the 1st round of his May 13 mock. Yet all 3 of them are much lower (in the 2nd round) in the latest mock today by Wasserman. And Wilson did not look very good in the scrimmages at the combine - so I can certainly see that he possibly had a workout where he didn't do very well or was in not so good shape.

Hell, it could even be Jaquez. Parrish has Jaquez going 24th in that May 13 mock. So that is 1st round, certainly higher than most people have had Jaquez. And since that time, we've seen Jaquez typically in the 28-34 range..and I could see Jaquez being a guy who wasn't in the greatest of shape at a workout. He gets beat off the dribble quite a bit, is not the fastest prospect by any means, and ranked pretty low in some of the agility/running drills at the combine..

Hell, it could even be someone like Jett Howard, Hood-Schifino, Kris Murray or Nick Smith Jr. All of those guys went fairly high in the 1st round of Parrish's May 13 mock. And while all of them are still projected to go 1st round in other recent mocks that have been posted, it still could be 1 of them. This player isn't necessarily a guy who has been dropping in mocks lately. Perhaps this agent is just stirring the pot, spreading rumors - perhaps since the story has been passed on from person to person a few times (and then possibly got exaggerated even more on a loud mouth sports talk radio show), perhaps it means nothing.

It might simply be an agent of player X telling a reporter who has Player Y as a 1st round pick, that Player Y is gonna go 2nd round. You think Jaden Hardy's agent was telling people last year that Jaden Hardy was gonna go 2nd round? Of course not. But it wouldn't shock me if Jaden Hardy's agent was telling people that Malaki Branham was gonna go 2nd round (assuming Branham and Hardy had different agents lol)
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#272 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:21 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Hal14 wrote:The keyword I'm seeing in your post is rumor.

Ok, I just watched the video where the bald guy is telling the story.

-Bald guy wasn't even there. He's just telling a story that he heard from someone else. We know how that goes, it's like that game telephone where you hear a story from someone else, then when you go and tell the story to other people, now the story sounds different than what really happened. And when you tell it, you're probably gonna exaggerate it a bit, make it more theatrical - especially if you're telling the story on some sports talk show.

-The guy who the bald guy heard this story from, is an agent who has multiple projected 1st round picks as clients. But this player who allegedly did this is NOT one of the agent's clients. Hmm, so perhaps this slimy agent is just stirring the pot, trying to spread rumors about some prospect to get that prospect to slide in the draft, so that HIS clients get drafted higher

-Parrish says in the video that this agent tells him that some prospect is someone who "everyone has him in the 1st round - I betcha he slips to the 2nd"

-The only one who actually went into the locker room and witnessed the prospect do this was some "team staff member". So again, it goes back to the game of telephone. The staff member told someone what happened, then maybe that person told someone, who then told this agent, who then told Parrish. Then Parrish tells the story on this radio show. So who knows what really happened? If this prospect was out of shape, ok. This agent (who has other prospects for clients projected to go 1st round but this vaping prospect is NOT his client) is probably just spreading rumors to get his clients drafted higher. We haven't seen this reported anywhere legit, other than someone loud mouth guy on a sports talk radio show, with a bunch of other dudes giggling like it's some middle school gossip. So I take it with a grain of salt.

That could be GG, but it could also be Cissoko. It could be Sensabaugh. Cissoko looked like he had packed on some weight at the combine pro day, looked a tad out of shape. Sensabaugh, we all know has been carrying around some extra weight and isn't in the best shape.

GG, Sensabaugh and Cissoko have all been sliding in the mock drafts lately.

That podcast was June 2. Was probably recorded a few days before then. Parrish put out this mock draft on 5/13:
https://www.on3.com/news/cbs-sports-updated-2023-nba-mock-draft-victor-wembanyama-scoot-henderson-brandon-miller-lottery/

If we look at that mock, what stands out? What player is high in this mock compared to most of the other mocks? It's Sensabaugh. Parrish has Sensabaugh at 13 here. He's got GG at 21.

Cissoko isn't even in the 1st round in this mock by Parrish so I doubt it's him.

Hell, it could be Rupert. That mock from a few weeks ago by Parrish, he has Rupert in the 1st round, at 25. But the latest mock posted today by Wasserman, Rupert is in the 2nd round, at 31.

Hell, it could be Terquavion Smith, Jalen Wilson or Marcus Sasser. Parrish has all 3 of those guys in the 1st round of his May 13 mock. Yet all 3 of them are much lower (in the 2nd round) in the latest mock today by Wasserman. Parrish says how the agent told him that he's higher than most on this player. He could certainly be talking about Jalen Wilson. That May 13 mock, Parrish has Wilson at 28. Pretty sure that's the only mock I've seen that has had Wilson in the 1st round. And Wilson did not look very good in the scrimmages at the combine - so I can certainly see that he possibly had a workout where he didn't do very well or was in not so good shape.

The part where the agent tells Parrish that he's higher than most on this player is talking about another player, not the one who the rumor is about.

Other than that, I fully agree with what you said. We should take this rumor with a grain of salt. It could indeed be an agent trying to stir the pot to help his clients. It could be a case of broken telephone where things get magnified over time. All of it is accurate. And it could also be Sensabaugh instead of GG. That is accurate too.

For what is worth, I wouldn't be against the idea of my Pacers drafting either player with their latter picks. I'd be glad with either. All I wanted to point out is that the rumor isn't some anonymous internet rumor. It has a name and a source. Whether one considers the source reputable or not is a different question.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#273 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:21 pm

My draft source who works for a team told me it's GG. Take that fwiw. I don't care if you believe me or not.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,025

Post#274 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:42 pm

Even if he is the vape break suspect, I still think he goes R2.

Would love PDX to take him #43. Upside worth it, if he is too big a idiot to get it together on a team w/ a vet like Dame - just cut bait year 2. No loss IMO.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#275 » by mattao313 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:57 pm

EvanZ wrote:My draft source who works for a team told me it's GG. Take that fwiw. I don't care if you believe me or not.
Yikes that's definitely not a good look if true

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#276 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:43 pm

Sensabaugh didn't start doing workouts until June because he was injured.

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2023/06/03/ohio-state-brice-sensabaugh-nba-draft-knee-injury/
Hal14
RealGM

Post#277 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:44 pm

Parrish's mock on June 7, after that radio show..

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2023-nba-mock-draft-victor-wembanyama-goes-no-1-to-spurs-hornets-take-brandon-miller-at-no-2/

He still has Jaquez, Sasser, Sensabaugh, Jalen Wilson all in his 1st round. The 2 guys who he had 1st round in his 5/13 mock but no longer 1st round on 6/7 are GG and Terquavion. So assuming it's 1 of them.

But it still could be a very exaggerated rumor with the game of telephone between 3 or 4 people,. and an agent who could just be stirring the pot to try and get his clients picked higher..
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#278 » by deepeeenn » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:58 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Even if he is the vape break suspect, I still think he goes R2.

Would love PDX to take him #43. Upside worth it, if he is too big a idiot to get it together on a team w/ a vet like Dame - just cut bait year 2. No loss IMO.

I’d be really happy if he fell to #43 and the Blazers snatch him. His offensive talent is too advanced to pass up and with the age, the defensive upside is still there.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,342

Post#279 » by Catchall » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:55 am

GG made a mistake jumping up a draft class. He's still a kid, and most teams don't have the patience to sit around and wait for him to grow up. He needed to have a strong pre-draft process, particularly the interviews, to show that he doesn't have long-term maturity issues, and he wasn't able to do it. He has enough talent to pull himself through, but he may only have a couple years from here to click in. He may turn into someone else's 2nd draft.

GG effectively Whitesided his pre-draft process.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Hal14
RealGM

Post#280 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:49 am

Catchall wrote:GG made a mistake jumping up a draft class. He's still a kid, and most teams don't have the patience to sit around and wait for him to grow up. He needed to have a strong pre-draft process, particularly the interviews, to show that he doesn't have long-term maturity issues, and he wasn't able to do it. He has enough talent to pull himself through, but he may only have a couple years from here to click in. He may turn into someone else's 2nd draft.

GG effectively Whitesided his pre-draft process.

Yeah. 2 mistakes he made:

1) Should have just stayed in HS class of 2023, draft class of 2024 and gone to UNC this fall

2) he went to south carolina this season, ok fine. But don't do into the draft. Stay bin school for 1 more year and transfer to a school with more of a supporting cast, better spacing, a team that will utilize/showcase your skills better and then go lottery in 2024.

Return to NBA Draft