Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Re: Jordan Hawkins - UConn 

Post#281 » by jman3134 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:49 pm

Blind college sampling (I don't actually believe this holds any weight, but this could be amusing), rank the "shooting" of these draft prospects (no looksies) :lol: :

21 years old 38.7% 3pt % 87.6% FT% 9.9 3pt attempts per game
21 years old 38.8% 3pt % 88.7% FT% 7.6 3pt attempts per game
19 years old 35.5% 3pt % 93.5% FT% 4.6 3pt attempts per game
18 years old 41.1% 3pt % 82.8% FT% 3.7 3pt attempts per game

Obviously, this isn't how you evaluate prospects, but just a little fun.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#282 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:30 pm

jman3134 wrote:Blind college sampling (I don't actually believe this holds any weight, but this could be amusing), rank the "shooting" of these draft prospects (no looksies) :lol: :

21 years old 38.7% 3pt % 87.6% FT%
21 years old 38.8% 3pt % 88.7% FT%
19 years old 35.5% 3pt % 93.5% FT%
18 years old 41.1% 3pt % 82.8% FT%

Obviously, this isn't how you evaluate prospects, but just a little fun.

add attemps
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#283 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:38 am

I don’t see him slipping past the Magic (#12?) unless Gradey Dick is, somehow, still on the board.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,308

Post#284 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:18 pm

Skybox wrote:I don’t see him slipping past the Magic (#12?) unless Gradey Dick is, somehow, still on the board.

Good chance Gradey is still there at 12.

Also, if I'm orlando, I would trade that pick. When you're a rebuilding team, you don't want to have too many young kids to try and develop all at the same time. Most teams put together a young core of like 3 guys, maybe 4. At the absolute most, 5 guys. Anymore than that, and there's not enough minutes for everyone, you'll have 1 guy who isn't getting developed because another guy at his same position is getting minutes over him. Plus, you need to surround those young guys with veterans to help foster their development - and that can create a logjam on the roster.

If I'm orlando, I try to land a stud with that 1st pick (someone who can really be a key part of the young core) and flip the 2nd lottery pick for a vet who can complement the young core.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#285 » by JMAC3 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:40 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:A lot of low basketball IQ people had the same criticisms about Devin Booker in 2015. Those same people are saying the same garbage about Hawkins now. Oh well, they will never learn.....

Hawkins is over 2 years older than Booker was when he was drafted. Booker was still better as a freshman than Hawkins was as a freshman.

Also Hawkins is listed at 185 lbs and Booker was 205 lb as a freshman. Booker had a real NBA 2 guard frame.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#286 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:24 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:A lot of low basketball IQ people had the same criticisms about Devin Booker in 2015. Those same people are saying the same garbage about Hawkins now. Oh well, they will never learn.....

Hawkins is over 2 years older than Booker was when he was drafted. Booker was still better as a freshman than Hawkins was as a freshman.

Also Hawkins is listed at 185 lbs and Booker was 205 lb as a freshman. Booker had a real NBA 2 guard frame.

Booker is a career .356 from 3 and .868 FT. So I think Hawkins can cover some ground there where he lacks the same large NBA frame. Booker entered the league a very poor defender and acknowledged defense never clicked for him until Chris Paul arrived.

That said, Booker is an elite purer scorer who carries a full bag of tricks and tools. I think Booker is in a league of his own with the ball in his hands whereas Hawkins will need to live off ball. He needs to find the right system for that. It should be a ball movement system anchored by a prolific playmaker like LaMelo Ball. Booker can make any system work. He's a front man.

I don't think Hawkins will ever be a primary scorer. He can be a high end 2nd or 3rd piece if he finds the right placement. Hurley runs an NBA system on both ends. Hawkins spending two years developing within an NBA system is a big plus. His stats are far from empty. He learned his role and played it to perfection.

Hawkins will thrive in NBA space. I think the Hornets really need someone who can cash in more of the open looks we create. Oubre and Rozier chucked to 31 and 32% from 3.

Hawkins can match that blindfolded day 1. Save the 15 million earmarked for Oubre. At this point Kelly is more of a hedge for things going south with Bridges.

Hornets will have to pay raises to Miles, PJ and LaMelo. It's time to get cheaper and leaner. That's why we dumped Graham and McDaniels.
It has been written...
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#287 » by JMAC3 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:57 pm

JMAC3 wrote:https://www.nba.com/stats/players/off-screen?PerMode=Totals&dir=D&sort=PTS

Yeah, I think you're overestimating the amount of points guys score off screens. 3 of the top 5 scorers off screens play for the Warriors. 7 guys have scored over 150 points off screens, that is nothing in the grand scheme of things. That breaks out to be 2-3 points per game.

So yeah if that is the main reason to invest in Hawkins in the lottery it is a tough sell for me.

Max Strus scored 97 total points off screens this year. Do you expect Hawkins to be used in that significantly more?

Taking him 14th and expecting your teams offense to change to constantly screen for him to score 100 points in a season off screens seems very unlikely.

I'm not even arguing he is a horrible prospect, just think people are imagining him running around all game like he is Steph or Reggie and I think that is a massive undertaking.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,790

Post#288 » by Kalela » Sat May 27, 2023 7:05 pm

Defending this guy will drive NBA players insane next season.

Read on Twitter
Fire Mazzulla
clyde21
RealGM

Post#289 » by clyde21 » Sat May 27, 2023 7:41 pm

watch the NBA playoffs this year - is there a single team in the POs that wouldn't have loved this dude ripping shots off screen/curls for them all game long?

not very hard to project this skill set, put him in a movement system with a solid decision maker that can feed him in his spots and no reason why he shouldn't at least drain 3-4 3s a game for you.

not only a ready made NBA role/skill but a high value one.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#290 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 5:29 pm

Whitmore says Hawkins was toughest guard for him

Read on Twitter
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#291 » by 89Magicfan » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:47 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Skybox wrote:I don’t see him slipping past the Magic (#12?) unless Gradey Dick is, somehow, still on the board.

Also, if I'm orlando, I would trade that pick. When you're a rebuilding team, you don't want to have too many young kids to try and develop all at the same time. Most teams put together a young core of like 3 guys, maybe 4. At the absolute most, 5 guys. Anymore than that, and there's not enough minutes for everyone, you'll have 1 guy who isn't getting developed because another guy at his same position is getting minutes over him. Plus, you need to surround those young guys with veterans to help foster their development - and that can create a logjam on the roster.

If I'm orlando, I try to land a stud with that 1st pick (someone who can really be a key part of the young core) and flip the 2nd lottery pick for a vet who can complement the young core.

Agree. Got fans wanting to accumulate more picks and I don’t get why you’d want to into next season with more rookies to develop.

This draft is weird for us. Our core are forwards and at our spot you have, forwards or tall guards who can’t shoot.

I’ve literally sat here and went through everyone and just can’t put a finger on who that stud is. Who would you select?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#292 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:59 pm

89Magicfan wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Agree. Got fans wanting to accumulate more picks and I don’t get why you’d want to into next season with more rookies to develop.

This draft is weird for us. Our core are forwards and at our spot you have, forwards or tall guards who can’t shoot.

I’ve literally sat here and went through everyone and just can’t put a finger on who that stud is. Who would you select?

At 6, I would probably take 1 of the Thompson twins. You can always get other guys who can shoot. Just sign someone like Patty Mills or Seth Curry or something to come off the bench and hit some shots. Or get Grant Williams or Gary Trent Jr - rumor has it, the Magic are interested in them. So clearly the front office feels the same way - get some other guy who can shoot, and then with the 6th pick, don't worry so much about the shooting - just get the guy with the most talent, who's not a terrible fit with Paolo/Franz.

Ausar is rapidly improving as a shooter, too.

If they're both off the board (from stuff I'm reading, it seems like a pretty good chance at least 1 of the twins will still be there) then I would probably go with Whitmore. But IDK, it's a tough one. You'd be looking at either whitmore, hendricks or Jarace. You've got a SF and 2 PF's so not a great fit with Paolo/Franz.

I'd be hopping for a twin at 6, trade the 11th pick. And get some shooting - either in the trade where you sent out the 11th pick, or in a separate move.

Paolo + Franz + 1 of the twins is a really good core, imo. You just need at least 2 of the 3 to be a respectable shooter. Franz is already at league average from 3. Paolo was 34% in college which is pretty good for a 6'10" freshmen in the ACC. I'm confident that eventually, he'll be a respectable shooter. Then you either get Amen (not as good a shooter as Ausar but a better play maker so he'll be able to create high quality looks for everyone else) or Ausar (could eventually be a respectable shooter, while also being a solid play maker for others).
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#293 » by 89Magicfan » Wed Jun 7, 2023 2:15 pm

Hal14 wrote:
89Magicfan wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Good chance Gradey is still there at 12.

At 6, I would probably take 1 of the Thompson twins. You can always get other guys who can shoot. Just sign someone like Patty Mills or Seth Curry or something to come off the bench and hit some shots. Or get Grant Williams or Gary Trent Jr - rumor has it, the Magic are interested in them. So clearly the front office feels the same way - get some other guy who can shoot, and then with the 6th pick, don't worry so much about the shooting - just get the guy with the most talent, who's not a terrible fit with Paolo/Franz.

If they're both off the board (from stuff I'm reading, it seems like a pretty good chance at least 1 of the twins will still be there) then I would probably go with Whitmore. But IDK, it's a tough one. You'd be looking at either whitmore, hendricks or Jarace. You've got a SF and 2 PF's so not a great fit with Paolo/Franz.

I'd be hopping for a twin at 6, trade the 11th pick. And get some shooting - either in the trade where you sent out the 11th pick, or in a separate move.

Paolo + Franz + 1 of the twins is a really good core, imo. You just need at least 2 of the 3 to be a respectable shooter. Franz is already at league average from 3. Paolo was 34% in college which is pretty good for a 6'10" freshmen in the ACC. I'm confident that eventually, he'll be a respectable shooter. Then you either get Amen (not as good a shooter as Ausar but a better play maker so he'll be able to create high quality looks for everyone else) or Ausar (could eventually be a respectable shooter, while also being a solid play maker for others).

That’s where I’m at right now. Amen to me is sooo good as a playmaker, even without a shot, he makes us better. I’m currently Amen over Ausar because of that. Not to say Audra can’t make plays, just see him being on a higher level at it.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#294 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 2:52 pm

89Magicfan wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
89Magicfan wrote:

That’s where I’m at right now. Amen to me is sooo good as a playmaker, even without a shot, he makes us better. I’m currently Amen over Ausar because of that. Not to say Audra can’t make plays, just see him being on a higher level at it.

Yeah. Paolo has never played with a guy like Amen, who's so good at creating quality looks for others. Paolo had to basically create all of his own shots this season and still put up crazy scoring numbers as a 19 yr old rookie. Dude could legit average 30 every year, playing with Amen.

And the twins are both very good defenders, too.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#295 » by eyriq » Wed Jun 7, 2023 7:42 pm

Hal14 wrote:
89Magicfan wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Good chance Gradey is still there at 12.

You sold me on a twin at No. 6 for Orlando!
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#296 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Jun 9, 2023 11:39 pm

I imagine he'd be a great fit with Luka and his ability to find open shooters so I wouldn't be surprised if they chose him at #10. Hawkins would help unclog the lane to aid Luka's drives and post ups.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#297 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:02 am

Whomever takes Hawkins has to worry more about how to hide him on defense. I don’t think Dallas can afford that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,790

Post#298 » by Kalela » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:33 am

EvanZ wrote:Whomever takes Hawkins has to worry more about how to hide him on defense. I don’t think Dallas can afford that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

From what I have seen at Uconn, he is not that bad of a defender that you need to hide him.
Fire Mazzulla
clyde21
RealGM

Post#299 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:45 am

Read on Twitter
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#300 » by Big J » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:32 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:I imagine he'd be a great fit with Luka and his ability to find open shooters so I wouldn't be surprised if they chose him at #10. Hawkins would help unclog the lane to aid Luka's drives and post ups.

How is he different than Reggie Bullock?

Return to NBA Draft